Great article on music sharing

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Great article on music sharing

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:13 pm

http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html

One of the better perspective pieces I've seen lately about the free download phenomenon.

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:01 am

Excellent Article. Well worth the read.

Thanks for the post Ragorn. Image

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:31 pm

wwo! outstnding! that's the same thingI have been saying forever!! glad some of the artists feel the same way!

------------------
Ambar -= Momma Jen =- Crimson Coalition
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:04 pm

Exactly. So many artists are fed up with the major labels that they'd rather just dump the parasitical corporations and direct-market through the internet. That's the real reason why the labels haven't pioneered any reliable way to sell music via direct download. The labels are obsolete leeches that can't adapt to new technology, so they resort to throwing money at Washington to get protection - and it will probably work, to the detriment of all music lovers.

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:00 am

Or as long as internet-backwards people continue chanting metallica rulez. Funny how metallica has the BEST record deal in the business, 4 dollars per album sold.

More than twice the next best deal, according to Rolling Stone

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:59 am

If I read another article saying that 'record sales were down in 2001, despite the fact that Napster was shut down', I think I'm gonna puke.

Album sales decreased *because* the RIAA did what it did. If they think people are gonna react to that by going and buying albums, well they're from another freakin' planet.
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:17 am

Yeah.. they had the best record sales ever when Napster was in full swing, and now a drop in sales.. hmmz.. 1 + 1 = 4uerx39488hklxvcngioei according to the record lables eh? Image

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:18 am

RIAA logic: The only way to sell records is to forcibly remove all other options available to potential record buyers, through costly litigation if necessary.

Real world logic: Record deals are desgiend to be mind-shatteringly poor for the artist while lining the pockets of the record label. Allowing the artist to own his own music would let him circumvent the almost 80% cut that the record label takes from their album sales by selling direct to the public. Obviously, the RIAA is not in favor of any means of transmission that would render their clients obsolete, so they fight this insane moral battle against the public.

N'Sync's original record deal split the following revenue between their manager and record label:

25% gross revenue, all areas
80% of net album sales
71% of net concert revenue
100% of net merchandising revenue
40%? of net endorsement revenue

In total, the band generated over $150 million of gross income in two years. The band got paid about $7 million, split between the five members. They threw their manager on his ass in 1999 and renegotiated with another label that screwed them slightly less.

But understand that without the major record label, N'Sync wouldn't have made a dime. They're good, for their niche. Unfortunately, their niche is the "super-hyped, carefully orchestrated media band with little actual talent" niche. It's kind of hard to break into that scene without the millions of dollars necessary to basically tell the public that you're what they want to hear. The record company made N'Sync, period. And they made N'Sync to be profitable. I imagine there's someone in L.A. who believes that paying 5 guys $1.3 million a year each is more than enough to sing the words he writes and dance the moves he choreographs.

N'Sync and most other major label-driven acts are run like corporations. AT&T doesn't expend 70% of its budget on payroll, and neither did N'Sync. The managers viewed the band members as employees, not as the actual talent. And therein lies what I believe might be the REAL flaw with label-band relations... the labels see band members as employees who work for them, to be paid accordingly. The band members believe that they are the CEOs, deserving of the lions share of their revenue.

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:13 pm

Music sales are down because the music scene is ass right now. These companies and 'artists' can't keep churning out the same crap over and over without a backlash of some sort. It may still be a year or two off, but it will happen again, just like it did toward the end of the eighties, and people will almost stop buying music altogether. I buy no more than two CDs a year anymore, and I rarely even bother to download music for free, simply because there is so little out there that bears any interest anymore.

------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:32 pm

I personally do NOT think music right now is crap, although I do get bothered by people who brand any artist with a label as a 'sell-out'. I love music, and I love the kind of music I hear. I purchase at least 2 CD's a week, and I have over 5,000 tracks on my computer, all shared for download to people who want to listen to them.

I don't think you are really empowered to tell me my opinion on music, sorry - but I like what I hear.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”