How would you react if Miax announced a pwipe

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Zrax
Sojourner

How would you react if Miax announced a pwipe

Postby Zrax » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:03 pm

Im curious, i was actually dissapointed to find out there would be no player wipe, for me the race for level 50, being able to find and work with a group on experience, trying zones underequipped, and underpowered is the most exciting aspect of the game. I have been working on an alternate character from time to time and its really pretty depressing, no real newbies anymore to explore and try thing with. I would be thrilled and inspired to play again by a pwipe, but I have a feeling I would be in a minority in this.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:10 pm

I feel it is sort of naive to think there will be no pwipe ever. Though I have accomplished alot (Including leading tiamat), I'm not quite done. Though, I am not totally opposed to a pwipe, and personally I expect one sometime in the not so far, not so near future.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:14 pm

It's hard to say how I'd react. Sure Gyrx has a lot of sweet items, but I'm not done. If the mud wiped before I was even done then I'd probably not react all too well...

------------------
peACe oUt
laterZ
gyrx
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:22 pm

Veto.

I worked hard for bright, shiny things, I got up months on end at 3am just to get a group of americans to do high end zones with, and I don't really feel like losing what I worked hard for. Know what turns me off about muds like bast and duris, besides the many silly things? Pwipes every 6 months. If you have to wipe anything, let ppl hold 5 pieces of eq they are especially proud of in a special bag and wipe all other eq. But no pfiles, screw that.

What's the point? If you're bored with the game, write a zone, take a 2 month break (and see how much you miss it), or just quit. Pwipes accomplish nothing but force people to level all over for 4-8 months.

Sojourn isn't a 'prescription: pwipe regularly for best use' mud. It's a mud you level on because you have to, _then_ you get to the fun part of doing month-long quests. How many people can _really_ say they have the set they want?

Again, veto.

------------------
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:25 pm

I'd start playing everquest.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:30 pm

I would find another mud to play on.

After 170+ playing days, I still need 5 items, not counting any new Avernus rares, the Bronze Citadel, Muspelheim, or any unknown items from Oakvale, Myth Drannor, Hyssk, or Bloodtusk.

Still plenty for me to do, and I suspect there always will be.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:43 pm

I'd give up mudding altogether.

I still have things I want, not counting any new rares or quests. And there are always alts.

Just say no to pwipes.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:56 pm

I doubt I'd start again. Right now I log in infrequently and enjoy being able to zone when I do. I wouldn't have any motivation to exp again after a wipe so probably wouldn't log in.

I'd still lurk on the BBS, though. I enjoy these forums more than just about any others I participate in.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:20 pm

I'd start playing again. Nothing is lamer than the fact that even I can't find anyone in the 20s to group with, and have spent the last 14 levels (14-28) completely soloing the same stupid mobs over and over again.

Every time I try to get back into it, I log on and run into the same brick wall... everyone in the 20s is either someone's decked alt soloing madly, or already in a "full" group. So I play for 20 minutes and log out, sick to DEATH of killing SSC mercenaries.

To keep myself amused, I try to keep my trophy completely clear. So I guess it's not the "same" mobs I kill, but really what's the difference between soloing buffs and soloing SSC?

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Tesil2
Sojourner

Postby Tesil2 » Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gromikazer:
<B>I feel it is sort of naive to think there will be no pwipe ever. Though I have accomplished alot (Including leading tiamat), I'm not quite done. Though, I am not totally opposed to a pwipe, and personally I expect one sometime in the not so far, not so near future.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How would it be naive? The clearly stated there would be "No Pwipes ever" if they do pwipe...they will lose all credibility not to mention quite a few players.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
everyone in the 20s is either someone's decked alt soloing madly, or already in a "full" group.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why I despise playing goodie.. tried it twice and gave up both times. People there apparently care nothing for helping others, if it means they have to miss four measly notches over two hours for that. And the thought that it helps the pbase isn't even occuring to them apparently.

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:29 pm

I'd laugh at his little joke and continue playing.

------------------
-Yayaril
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:32 pm

Riiight Cherzra... It's just goodies that do that...

Why does everything have to be a 'boo hiss goodies suck' with you, mang? :P

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:32 pm

I dunno how I'd react to a full-blown wipe. I'd probably retire and find some healthier addiction...maybe take up smoking again or something.

-V
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:11 pm

I was sooo pissed off/disapointed/hurt @the end of soj2....
i know i wouldnt play again i would quit
i would find rl so much more fun and would actualy make my fiance happier i know :P
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
<B>Im curious, i was actually dissapointed to find out there would be no player wipe, for me the race for level 50, being able to find and work with a group on experience, trying zones underequipped, and underpowered is the most exciting aspect of the game. I have been working on an alternate character from time to time and its really pretty depressing, no real newbies anymore to explore and try thing with. I would be thrilled and inspired to play again by a pwipe, but I have a feeling I would be in a minority in this.

It would be nice if Miax can set up a 2nd machine for the real hardcore - Xtremely hard and Very very challenging. No newbies applicable. Such feature include remorst. Xtra skills, Special items/artifact , clan challenging each other for dominate. Special extreme high level zones with high rewards - catch is zone is PK applicable, etc...

------------------
Blung take no prisoner.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:16 pm

Tough question ... I'd not like it that's for sure ... I abhor exping :P To me it's all about zones .. and testing yourself and others near/at your level doing hard things with small groups .. Trying that high end zone with smaller and smaller groups is exciting as HELL!

I know people argue that pwipes are good for a mud, prevent hoarding, good for morale, etc .. but i disagree ... People quest for months on end to acquire that item or piece of eq that only a few players have ... to do this, you must be high level ... you have to have that spanky kit, that superior eq that comes from being high level and doing zones over and over til it is YOUR turrn to win top prize ...

To me Soujourn is ALL about questing and exploring ... I'm assuming that Duris gets a high turnover of people, that they depend on the influx of new blood .. because how many times do you want to start at level one again .. I'm sure people get sick of it and quit ...

I am nowhere near being done with my charactyer .. to start over at this point .. dunno if i would .. sure i'd log on ... to talk .. doubt i'd level again ....

Interesting topic tho ...

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:16 pm

Man I like the sound of that Blung.

It is hard to find groups these days for low levels, good or evil, its not because people are elitists, there are just alot less people in those level ranges doing exp.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:26 pm

I wouldn't have time to exp up again...let alone the desire to. Plus it'd suck losing my restrings and the few items I especially prize.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ambar:
<B>Tough question ... I'd not like it that's for sure ... I abhor exping :P To me it's all about zones .. and testing yourself and others near/at your level doing hard things with small groups .. Trying that high end zone with smaller and smaller groups is exciting as HELL!

I totally agree with that. The only real challenging about Sojourn is the experience level. I never made it to L50 this wipe. Once I hit L45, I basicly gave up trying to level. As for doing zone with small groups, a few of us been there and done that.

Don't tell me you don't get bore of doing the same zone 10, 20, 30, etc... times. You basicly iron out all the obstacles, there are no twist or risk factor involve.

------------------
Blung take no prisoner.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>I wouldn't have time to exp up again...let alone the desire to. Plus it'd suck losing my restrings and the few items I especially prize.

i SOOOO agree!!! Man if i lost my demon hide pack i'd CRY! and the wonderful gift i got form baik and gromi .. they are PRICELESS!!

------------------
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B> Which is why I despise playing goodie.. tried it twice and gave up both times. People there apparently care nothing for helping others, if it means they have to miss four measly notches over two hours for that. And the thought that it helps the pbase isn't even occuring to them apparently.

Whatever, it was the same way when I (cough anonymously) levelled up a character to about 15 on the evil side :P Upper level decked players from both sides offered to help me out and tank/heal for me, but nobody my OWN level wanted to group.

Selias once sat with me and dragonscaled/hasted me for an entire level, but it was STILL basically soloing.

------------------
- Ragorn
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:48 am

It would be fine and dandy if they made a few changes at the same time. Like, say, removal of plane of smoke, for starters.

Most of the people saying they wouldn't restart either a) actually believe that to be the case (but are mistaken) or b) are simply lying out of fear that it might actually happen.

Let's face it, most of us are addicted. A little thing like starting over isn't going to be enough. We've already done it a few times now, haven't we?

Your shiny trinkets aren't important. Good grief. They are little bits of code, utterly meaningless. What can actually mean something is the people you meet and the friendships you make. (I am still very good friends with some people I met on Original Sojourn 8-9 years ago, and still talk to them every day.)

These relationships will survive wipes, and chances are, you will meet more people on the way back up, then you will perched elitely at 50 hunting for the last item you need to give you that extra 20hps or 1hit/1dam.

Pwipes smile on us all. All a man can do is smile back.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:10 am

Oooh, no pwipes for a loooooong time please!

Man, if a pwipe was announced to occur sometime in the next 1-2 years I would spew.

That would really suck.

Many players are just getting going this era, especially knowing the owner's claims that there will be no pwipes ever.

Sure, it's gotta be a chance that a pwipe (of some description) may occur sometime many years or decades down the track, but for the next few years at least, lets keep it as is.

The imms are doing a great job of working on ways to use up high level eq (in new quests, etc); and there are many other excellent points about playing alts, writing zones, taking a break etc that should quench such thoughts.

------------------
Mogr -=BloodSeeker=-
Beer. More Beer.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:35 am

well ragorn, it's crap on both sides.

there have been from day one several anon cliques of players, 7-8 of them.

one can think they are elite, that's great. isolationism kills all :P

i'd not play again if there was another wipe. the two i dealt with were traumatic enough.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:16 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teyaha:
<B>well ragorn, it's crap on both sides.

there have been from day one several anon cliques of players, 7-8 of them.

one can think they are elite, that's great. isolationism kills all :P

i'd not play again if there was another wipe. the two i dealt with were traumatic enough.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there are also buzz kills who always try to piss in everyone elses cherrios ... lvl up a char then turn around and talk sh#% about everyone, the mud, and life in general, trade/sell of their eq, then complain about not having the eq to zone...
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:17 am

Hehe, Rags, I have 6 years experience in being in the mid levels. I've never level'd a character past 36. Ever. This wipe I'm planning on making it up though, even though I have limited time to play. And I know just how you feel. Being a level 30 pal, I see people who are level 20 that can tank and hit twice as good as me, because they're decked out alts. A lot of them solo plevel, so they don't want to group. Honestly, if it weren't for some of the new players I help, I'd probably never get groups.

I spend the majority of my time trying to help out others who need it, because most of the people that newbies ask (higher level) will look at them, hand them some spare piece of low to mid level eq, and then walk away. I'll take em out, show them exp spots (SSC), and group up with them. And 9 times out of 10, they'll pass me in level after a while, when I take on another newb to help out. I like to help people out, it's just who I am, and if I get good exp, then awesome.

Anyways, back on topic. I would hate a pwipe. Now after a few years, I could see an eq wipe, definitely. It would be hilarious to see a bunch of level 50 people running around naked, fighting for all the little eq. Of course it would kinda suck for true newbs who happened to be starting at the time.

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:27 am

level 50 nakeds would eq FAST ... grin

------------------
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:33 am

Worlds of Warcraft.

------------------
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Nelal
Sojourner

Postby Nelal » Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:46 am

I notice a trend here. It seems to me those who have recently started playing here again would love a pwipe, myself included. Maybe because we haven't spent as much time on our chars yet, or simply for the desire to start fresh. An eq wipe would be fun, too. Image
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:36 am

Its an interesting problem: To pwipe or not. Silly debate though, since he said he wouldn't. But...

No Pwipe:

* People get to keep the goodies they've earned. No lost time.

* People get to keep the levels/chars they've earned. No lost time.

* People who care about that wont get pissed.

* Everyone will be running around with so-called 'elite' gear eventually. It's already pretty insane.

* The market board will be worthless. Does anyone buy things like gold plated gaunts, golden boots, blue addy bracers anymore? Mostly the noobs. See previous point.

Pwipe:

* Everyone loses the stuff they've spent the last year fighting for. Lots of people will piss and moan. Some will leave for various lengths of time.

* Miax says "Doh!"

* Since many ppl know rares and zones, everyone will re-equip even faster than this wipe. We'll be back to where we are now in no time.

Summary: Most ppl have uber eq faster than ever before. Wiping again will only cause this to happen again. Continual wiping will only frustrate everyone.

Solution: That depends on if Miax wants/cares to fix it...and of course what the rest of the mud thinks. IMHO if its done, these kinds of things would need to be done:

* Design several new and >interesting< lowbie and mid-level zones. There are an overabundance of higher lvl eq zones.

* Re-design present quests and rares so everyone has to re-learn them. What's the fun if there's no exploration element?

* Come up with some kind of random/rare load system for eq, quests, and even zones to slow down eq flow into the mud. Introduce zones into the mud sloly over time. Perhaps the staff run long quests with players to even find the way into Jotunheim?

* Consider systems to remove eq from the mud so as to maintain an economy. I used to love (I mean really love) buying and selling eq on previous incarnations of sojourn. Now its just worthless. You can buy what you want cheap or go out and get it fairly easily.

But, this would be alot of work. Whats the incentive for the staff to do that? Would people enjoy going back to ts rings and golden boots? In some ways I had more fun back then, when everything was new and there was more exploration to be done. Of course, then I can't enjoy fancy proccers or high +hp gear.

Who knows? I love rambling when im tired.

------------------
Izarek / Raevithar / Fyzzlroo
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:00 am

Besides my current equipment and my tinker bag/llewyrr bag, I have nothing of any value.
I have bags and bags of props and items found all over the game.
Everything from whips to mushrooms, dresses to loincloths, spices, perfume, leaves, hoes, etc.
I'd be really sad if I lost this stuff, but if the game pwiped, I'd go right back to collecting it all over again, it's too much fun. What I value most are the friends I have come to know the past 9 years anyway.

------------------
Jennie
@}--`--,---
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:14 am

_IF_ they ever did a pwipe, I'd hope'n'pray they can save char's stats, or at least mine, so I could at least save myself from the endless cursing trying to roll a good paladin and bard. They're a real pain. Let alone clerical types. Otherwise, I'd probably quit, cuz it is so difficult and somewhat boring exp'ing over and over. This mud is cool and fun; for diversity, try making and alt and NOT accepting eq or transferring, there's your challenge. Hehe, lots of cr's for yourself are probably guaranteed!

------------------
The watch sez: Time to kill!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:13 am

Blung, what would be the difference between what you suggest and places like duris/basternae? Differences besides the actual players...

How would it be naive? The clearly stated there would be "No Pwipes ever" if they do pwipe...they will lose all credibility not to mention quite a few players.

umm go look up the meaning of naive. Long term promises that don't take into account reality end up getting broken. Had they made the promise "we will do everything we can to ensure that there is never another pwipe" I could believe that. If the reality is 99.9% of the pbase wanted a pwipe, id say there isn't a good reason one shouldnt happen. You don't get points for keeping your word against the face of reality.

As far as the staff's credibility, do you really think 7+ years of damn good mud administration and development would be overshadowed by a single broken promise (albeit a very fundamental promise)? Folks would quit, but I hardly think the staff's entire credibility would be undermined that significantly.

I'm with gromi, im not naive enough to believe there will never be a pwipe, but I do believe the staff will do their best not to have a pwipe via balanced eq/classes/zones and good administration. Furthermore, if it ever becomes necessary to pwipe, bite the bullet, don't leave the old mud up just so you can keep your promise.

As for what I would do if they wiped soj, I'd end up doing whatever my friends are doing. Just like I went to sojourn from kallisti mud, everquest when they did, played thousands of hours of starcraft, doom, quake, ect... It would probably take some convincing to get me to come back here and do another thousand hours of exp (no joke), but if they played here so would I.

My callous probably fictious observations...

Its interesting that people who want the challenge of leveling up and doing zones with no eq again have the best eq and typically were the primary beneficiaries of the handout system. Furthermore, instead of dumping their eq or leveling up a completely nekkid character without pleveling, they would choose to inflict pwipe on the entire pbase. You want that challenge? Go get a group of friends to get nekkid and "start over" as newbies. Hell, I'd even be interested doing that with yall.

Now back to my analysis and mudslinging. The reason why they don't opt for this option is not that they want the challenge again, not to have the feeling when they get a new shiny, its the competition... their desire to have more and be better than others.

I doubt there wouldve been much support for a pwipe 6 months ago when there was still a substantial separation between elite and scrubs, but as time marches forward even the scrubs get to be very well equipped, knowledgeable about zones and rares, and elites need a new holy grail to maintain their stature.

Now, i dont have anything against elite players. They just play the game better than I do, but i dislike when their needs compel changes that overshadow the desires of the general populace (especially me). id suggest that this is less of a conscious action and decision than it is an unconscious feeling that manifests over time in an abundance of action and changes of view point. Call it competition, greed, or whatever, its an outreach of their need to "be better" than others, they search for other ways to secure their ego. new rules, change the basis of comparison, ect...

As the difference between elite and scrub becomes more blurred there will be calls for more ways to enlarge the separation. Its a natural process, but personally id like if we take some of the competition out of the game. I'm here to hang out and do some zones, not to have my balls to the wall trying to be better than everyone else.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:50 am

I'd laugh, say "Another level 21 and 27 character down the drain", and then curl up into the fetal position and sob myself to sleep.

- Grungar "Can't sleep, clown'll eat me" Forgefire
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:02 am

Ya know, I look at this thread and can actually say I have never thought about what I would do if there were a pwipe. Main reason being that the admins said there would never be another. I have played here for over 6 years now. I have been through the pwipes. In all honesty it sucked.
When I started here I was still in college, this game was my pasttime, my hobby, a chance to get away from the pressure of classes and homework. I spent alot of time doing it even though I knew nothing about it.
I am now level 43, it is the highest level I have ever been and you know, I can't even lead a zone. I would try of course, but if I made it through it would be because of the group supporting me.
After 6 years I still find it fun to go exploring because I don't have an automapper and I don't have a brain that can envision this entire world. I explore places that I have been before because I never learned all there was to it.
Example, tonight I managed to find myself back in longhollow, I was there when the mud first reopened, with my group, I got that piece of eq that everybody was after at the time. But tonight I learned of a new item. I have a coonskin cap to wear when I am out exploring. It makes me happy. I put on a piece of gear that nobody has wanted in 8 months just to growl at people cuz I am proud that I got it.
Should a level 43 warrior do that? Prolly not, I should be looking only to doing zones and should prolly be trying to exp so that I can get chosen among the 50 other high level warriors out there to do a specific zone.
If you get bored, don't call for a pwipe, just go back to the places that you haven't seen in sooooo long. Go back, figure out that newbie quest and remember why you fell in love with this game to begin with.

That is my rant.
Vigis Wolverinefang -Teiwaz- Chosen of Runemal
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:24 am

wow this was an innocent, carefree survey and still people manage to get stinky

my gosh Image

------------------
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:11 am

I'd see if i couldd seed a fight over tiny emeraldd and silver rings on the BBS that wouldd lead to armeggeddon.

------------------
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:12 am

Call me lame but I miss the days of an equipment economy. As much as I used to preach about giving stuff away free and not being greedy, there's still something to be said about finally getting your 100th platinum coin at level 21 and plonking yourself down at the fountain to listen to the shouts Image

Ah well, memories of a day gone by. Now you can't even dice equipment without people calling you stuff.

------------------
- Ragorn
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:07 pm

I am level 47 which is by far the highest I have ever been. If there was a pwipe I would probably play again as I am in one of the best (I think the best) guilds on the mud and I think we would all level up again fast.

For those of you who are mid level looking for a group, I have a level 23 bard (tefel) who is always looking to group with people. I have good eq but enjoy meeting new people and grouping with others. No need for you to have the best kit in the game at level 20-30 to group with me. I even hand out spanky potions from time to time to help people out.

Had great fun killing with a couple people I had not met before, out on BGR. We rolled through it killing everything.
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>Riiight Cherzra... It's just goodies that do that...

Why does everything have to be a 'boo hiss goodies suck' with you, mang? :P

i started as a goodie, and while a few are really cool, i agree with Cherzra, evils are so much cooler and as a general rule goodies are greedy and self involved
as for a pwipe, i dont know how i react, id prolly quit playing, but then maybe not, the bigger reason of why i play is i like the fellowship. but theres plenty of that in rl
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:39 pm

I would have no problem with a pwipe.

I have restrung eq, I have stuff that I may never acquire again,...but the truth is, it's the journey there that makes sojourn what it is.

I love my eq too, but i'd give it all away for more camraderie.

I think the mud has big plans, and I think they should carry them out, I don't think there is a need to pwipe every 6 months, yes that would be too annoying, but pwipe every 2-3 years, I don't see a problem with that (personally). It all depends on what grand scheme the admins have in mind. Sounds like they are in the middle of planning something big, that may make all of these points about EQ sinks and boredom and whatnot all moot.

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:17 pm

Every time there's a wipe, those of us who've been playing for a while lose more friends. Of the people I used to hang out with back on Toril, only 3 or 4 actually played this wipe to my knowledge (I can't remember if I actually really did much with the 4th, doesn't prevent me from treating them like I did though :P). Being able to group with one of them a lot leveling up made exp bearable and actually fun a lot of the time, though since then she's stopped playing. If enough old friends don't come back, I doubt I would and it's the same for many people. I easily spend somewhere between $50 to $150 a month on games, I'm not hurting for things to play if enough key people don't come back.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:43 am

I'd be playing regularly if there was no pwipe of Toril or Soj2. I'd even be playing regularly if I had only one of the chars I lost in pwipes. It's just hard to do the exp grind so many times; that is not the fun part of the game for me. I suppose there are some ppl playing reguarly now who would react the same way.

Mp

------------------

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:24 am

/fantassy off

There will Never be a player file wipe on Sojourn 3.

And for those that Really want the challenge, feel they have everything and need a fresh start, then do a bold thing - choose Option 6 (Delete Char), and start over.

There are many problems, and many benefits, that arise out of never wiping the player files. Personally, having seen (and done) many wipes myself, the most significant thing that they do is to reduce the player base, piss of those that stay, and allow the staff to re-balance and get a fresh start.

Frankly, there are other ways for us to deal with the issue, and we would persue those to the very end before resorting to destroying thousands of hours of work.

The best way to improve it is to add quests, new areas, new code, and keep the mud stable and solid. The campaign can add Alot of spice, and every new area and code addition adds new things to do and new ways to play.

So again, while it is fine to fantasize about what you would all do if we wiped, I must state again so that everyone is very clear:

We will NEVER player wipe on Sojourn 3.

Cheers,

Miax
Tesil2
Sojourner

Postby Tesil2 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>Blung, what would be the difference between what you suggest and places like duris/basternae? Differences besides the actual players...

umm go look up the meaning of naive. Long term promises that don't take into account reality end up getting broken. Had they made the promise "we will do everything we can to ensure that there is never another pwipe" I could believe that. If the reality is 99.9% of the pbase wanted a pwipe, id say there isn't a good reason one shouldnt happen. You don't get points for keeping your word against the face of reality.

As far as the staff's credibility, do you really think 7+ years of damn good mud administration and development would be overshadowed by a single broken promise (albeit a very fundamental promise)? Folks would quit, but I hardly think the staff's entire credibility would be undermined that significantly.

I'm with gromi, im not naive enough to believe there will never be a pwipe, but I do believe the staff will do their best not to have a pwipe via balanced eq/classes/zones and good administration. Furthermore, if it ever becomes necessary to pwipe, bite the bullet, don't leave the old mud up just so you can keep your promise.

I know what naive means....I think YOU need to go look it up.

And yes....a single action can and would destroy all credibility...I don't care how many years of this or that you want to toss around....I know quite a few people that only came back because of the "No pwipe" pledge.

And you will never have 99.9% of the mud wanting a pwipe...I doubt you could even get 50%
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:17 am

I left the goodies a little while ago, and have found that the evils really are cooler. they are nicer, they group with anyone. I mean, no questions asked - I have seen level 40 warriors grouped with level 15 newbie clerics, level 3 decked out enchanters, and a level 25 rogue . . . on the good side, something like that would never have happened. Over here, its just company.
I wish that I had started on the evils from the beginning this wipe, but honestly I do not want to play catch up. I will never be elite, I will never be able to lead the big zones. Life will go on. I have found warcraft3, medal of honor, and i am actually playing diablo 2 for the first time. lol, there was a time when nothing could pull me from the mud, now - knowing there will never be another pfile wipe - I don't care to play anyway.

On a side note - I was insulted a few weeks ago for trying to sell a flamberge for 2k in waterdeep. This person called me a newbie moron, and then proceeded to tell me how most of their friends had at least 5 of these items in their bags. Well, thank you for making me never want to play in waterdeep again.

and FYI - I have given away a few flammies this wipe myself, but - I'm just not cool enough to be you.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Lubar
Sojourner

Postby Lubar » Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:48 am

Conclusion: Evil side rules, good sucks. :P
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:10 pm

but this has what to do with the topic goofy Image Image

we all know evils rule and goodies drool Image

-phat momma jen