If you use the internet, you NEED to read this!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
celara
Sojourner

If you use the internet, you NEED to read this!

Postby celara » Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:55 pm

This is a public serivce annoucement brought to you by Ranger Inc.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Recently when having a problem with my ADSL connection, a tech mentioned this software to me. It is called "ad-aware".
What it does is search your computer for all those little programs that websites and installed components install into your computer that send your information to companys. I know for a fact that if you have ever installed bearshare (and even if you have un-installed it) you have these components installed in your computer. Ad-Aware found something like 40 of them on mine... they are everywhere on the internet. It will also find back-door programs like trojan horses. If you use the internet, your information is probably not secure. Get ad-aware, its free as can be and only takes a few minutes to run! You will thank me!
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

------------------
Aim: damageXcase
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:57 pm

Been using ad-aware for months now.. It rules. Highly recommended.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:07 pm

I just pulled it down myself not too long ago because I can't seem to drill into the hubby's head that you just don't download any old software you get a mind to off of any old website you run across.

The amount of adware on my system was staggering; it's bundled into everything you can think of.
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:09 pm

I don't use the internet.

I pay a man to read this forum, print all interesting posts, mail them to me, and repost the responses I send to him via certified mail.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:58 pm

Mmm, just toasted 12 of 'em. Thanks!

- Grungar "I'm ignorant about everything, even the things I don't know I'm ignorant about" Forgefire
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:22 pm

Wow.. i had a wopping 126!.. thanks Image

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:53 pm

lovely ... 111

thanks muchly Image

suxors having a teen aged kid who thinks this computer is HERS .. she changes settings, etc ... pisses me off royally :P sits home on the computer while im at work.. then bugs me to get off the computer so she can use it when im mudding ... GRRR

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:42 pm

Good lord almighty! 255! Thanks!

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:23 pm

Wow thanks celery. Just nuked 100 of them nasties.

Ereh saw Ranillak!
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:35 pm

One note to everyone... If you use a Microsoft OS, and upgrade to the newest edition of their media player... Read the End User License Agreement (EULA) carefully... It now states they can install and remove software at will from your machine if they deem it shouldn't be there.

I think this is an attempt to stop pirated MP3's, but I am not taking my chances til it's been analyzed by some truly uber programming geeks.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:50 pm

I hate m$ media player.. it takes over all your files like mp3s and stuff. Same with evil realplayer.. I won't allow that on my computer
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:52 pm

I doubt it refers to mp3's. Especially if they use the word "software" in that license, since mp3's aren't. Most likely it's so they can uninstall pirated versions of their own software, and install things like adware. Image

Dammit, if MS keeps doing crap like this Apple might just stand a chance...

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:55 pm

All hail big brother Bill.

That's why I still have ooooooooooooold version. When I saw that thing in the EULA and as one of the advertised features, I started laughing.

"Ooh, download THIS! We can now help ourselves to your computer. Isn't that great!?"

- Grungar "Juuuuuuuuuuust waiting..." Forgefire
taelin
Sojourner

Postby taelin » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:23 am

mmm can we say router? wont be considered high tech optional for long.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:04 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by taelin:
mmm can we say router? wont be considered high tech optional for long.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's alive!

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:14 am

Lotta effort to zap 1 offending registry entry Image

------------------
Azuth God of Wizardry and Majiks

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:50 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Azuth:
<B>Lotta effort to zap 1 offending registry entry Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, took me a whole 2 minutes to download and run it.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:56 am

Ironically, in the process to actually find a place to download this file I was subjected to 2 pop up ads and a Gator-like moving Java ad I couldn't close. Helped though Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:47 pm

Got 84 of them bad nasties.

------------------
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:31 pm

I use the internet like I'm having sex with an 60 year old whore. LOTS of protection! Ran this program and found ZERO offenders on my system that's been up for years.

BTW 60 yr old whores > goats.

------------------
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
I hate m$ media player.. it takes over all your files like mp3s and stuff. Same with evil realplayer.. I won't allow that on my computer</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how do you play all that pr0n then?

(rylan has 70gb of pr0n on his laptop..thats just a fraction fo what he has at home!)

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:13 pm

rofl.. I wish I had a laptop :P
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:07 pm

Nuked 138 of them
Thanks a bunch, Celara
I am very careful when using the internet, but my brother swears this is his computer as well Image

------------------
Jennie
@}--`--,---
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:27 am

If I am not mistaken, one of the reasons for MS's declaration of independence in their new eua, was because a lot of people got their hands on some MS products that were not meant to be so easily available. I was told they were going to be soon running an update that would take care of the offending serial number users. i hope its not the free corporate release that was pirated from Dell of XP pro :P

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:21 am

The latest thing form Microshaft is Palladium, a nasty project they have been working on. Still sketchy on the full details, but it would be a partnership between them and AMD and Intel to basically give control of computer and what is installed and what software is used and licensed to them. I assume you can find out about it on several web sites, I found it on slashdot.org. Correct me if I am wrong, or someone please explain it a bit better.

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:10 am

More than likely that his horseshit.. i really doubt microsoft wants to be broken up because of completely monopolistic techniques like not allowing the competition to have software on your computer... now maybe its designed to help prevent software piracy.. which im getting more for.. i used to be a big time pirate but now ive decided that i really should be giving these companies money for things that they spent all this time and money to make for me...

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:21 am

I used to be a pirate, until the peg leg and eyepatch went out of fashion and I came down with a bad case of scurvy. Arr. Those were the days.

- Grungar "Don't make me keel-haul you" Forgefire
lanik
Sojourner

Postby lanik » Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:35 am

Fah, use Linux.
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:28 pm

Ha ha ha... 1 suspisious reg key and that was on the list of ones to ignore... I was clean to start...

------------------

Iaiken Toransier,
Paladin of Torm
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B>I used to be a pirate, until the peg leg and eyepatch went out of fashion and I came down with a bad case of scurvy. Arr. Those were the days.

- Grungar "Don't make me keel-haul you" Forgefire</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, a real pirate like Touk doesn't let a little thing like scurvy stop him.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:46 pm

I was actually just an undercover ninja, infiltrating a band of pirates to find out who their ring leader, er cap'n, was. Turned out that Cap'n Crunch was in league with the Soggies all the time just so he could collect on the insurance money. Arr, what a world we live in.

- Grungar "Walk the plank, matey" Forgefire
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:49 pm

Blah, find me a version that works on Win95 dammit. :P

*sniff*

Deathmagnet
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>One note to everyone... If you use a Microsoft OS, and upgrade to the newest edition of their media player... Read the End User License Agreement (EULA) carefully... It now states they can install and remove software at will from your machine if they deem it shouldn't be there.

I think this is an attempt to stop pirated MP3's, but I am not taking my chances til it's been analyzed by some truly uber programming geeks.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was originally aimed at ending pirated copies of MS office and utilities, not mp3's. However, it could be put to use for either, or neither. As I understand it, legally speaking, that statement is more like a yawning gap than a loophole.

I'm sure Corth and Erevan will know more.

------------------
Touk says 'know you not I am Touk, slayer of stupid giants?'
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:42 am

ooo... had ad-aware for awhile. I guess that's my bad for never telling you all heh. I zapped 20 something my first time around. Just be aware of all those helper programs, especially gator and gain. I never dl those programs onto my computer, and somehow they got on. Not only that, there is a program that the ad-aware can't find that keeps on installing spyware on my computer every time i use it. GAIN/gator says that if i can't tell them which one of thier products is on my computer, then they can't tell me how to delete it. Of course, if i never installed one knowingly, how could i know? I tried uninstalling it, didn't work (with add/remove programs or the programs own uninstaller), tried deleting the folders manually, and still a no go. They are archives, not read only or as such. In conclusion...

GAIN/GATOR SUCKS! Ad-aware rulz!

------------------
"Incoming force missles have the right of way!"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:06 pm

Finally got the motivation to get off my lazy ass and find more info on palladium, a new security protocol proposed and patented by Microsoft.

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2873149,00.html

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”