Make a "submit only" forum please

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Wobb
Sojourner

Make a \"submit only\" forum please

Postby Wobb » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:08 pm

As I sit here reading about Turxx's name crusade and the post that Cherzra started regarding food for (American) thought...

It really makes me wonder how useful the BBS has become lately, and what it has molded into.

I have 2 honest, non-flammatory suggestions for the admins regarding this BBS:

Make it an internal only BBS, people can post, but no one else can read it except the admins. If the players want a forum to discuss other crap issues, then let them take it back to SOS2, or something. I think the BBS has been a great thing in many respects, a quick and easy way to engage in feedback to the admins on gameplay and other items. However, where has it gone?

We got people who don't even play anymore arguing about crap...we have people talking about totally non-related things only causing grief amongst themselves...everytime I post an Idea, its shot down by 2 or three people, then upheld by 2 or three others. To me, the point is to let YOU (the admins) know what I think, I don't care what person A or B thinks about it, and if I did, I would ask them on the mud. The immediate SHOT-DOWN remarks by jaded individuals makes me feel like I never even sent a post in the first place. If nothing else, I would like to see at least one forum for feeback not readable by the general public.

Thank you.

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:12 pm

I agree, go to yahoo for political chats, we probably should keep it light and game related.

------------------
No matter where you go, there you are.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:22 pm

You already can submit ideas to the gods without others reading it. It's called email.

I think for the most part the forums are used properly though. The political/religious issues come up in the "General" forum... which is meant to be discussions about any random thing we want to talk about. As long as we keep this stuff out of Ideas, Feedback and the other forums no harm is done and the bbs is serving it's purpose perfectly.

Personally, I think it's the sign of a healthy community that we _do_ have these sorts of debates. People keep saying that it's pointless because no one ever changes their mind, but that's not the point anyway. The point is for everyone to be introduced to other viewpoints and at least think their own through.

:shrug:

Look at it this way, not discussing important issues is what governments would love for us to do. That way we could all be mindlessly programmed to do whatever they want, because they do talk about this stuff and therefore must know more about it than people who don't.

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:23 pm

General Discussion
General discussion about the MUD, life, the universe, and everything.

That's what that particular forum is there for, and that includes political ugliness sometimes. Honestly, as nasty as the political threads can get, they're nowhere near as bad as the ones where people are fighting over who did what in the game.
nubug
Sojourner

Postby nubug » Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:07 am

also the 'idea' command.

the one that echo's to you "Ok. Thanks. (we will get right on that one sir)" to let you know how much of a genius we all are
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:13 pm

I love the general discussion forum, honestly. I would probably not play the game as much because i would get sick of not having anything to do, i would never know people like ambar, nilan, etc...My posts can get ugly many times, but in the end you will usually see me apologize if i think i might have offended anybody. I have also seen many others do this also. I used to go to coffee shopes and other places to discuss things of this nature with friends. well, after a while, it gets really boring hearing the same points over an over again from just one demographic of one country. Here I get to discuss what it is like in sweden, canada, and the usa. I love it, it opens you up to new ideas. Even if it doesn't change the ones you harbor beforehand, it is one of the things i look forward to when i connect to the internet.

As far as people not being able to respond to your ideas/gameplay discussion forum posts. That would in a sense be counteractive. The immorts have created, and rebirthed this game so that we the players can have as much fun as possible within the limitations of fairness. If they have no idea what people who actually care about a new idea/supposed bug think about it, they will have no idea whether this will ultimately be a good thing to change. In retrospect, the building and debuging of this mud would eventually get stuck in a traffic jam of thousands of ideas pushed onto a staff that is already horribly worked. We as players help root out the good/bad ideas.

------------------
"Kill them all, God will know his own." -Domingo de Guzman, A.K.A Saint Dominic

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”