How to quit smoking without goin insane.

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Slavan
Sojourner

How to quit smoking without goin insane.

Postby Slavan » Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:21 pm

OK
I quit smoking last night. I am goin insane. I want to kill everyone. I cant even speak without my words getting all messed up. Im afraid to go out...I got road rage without anyone else on the road.
I need any hints tricks information to make this a bit easier.
Help!!
PLease
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:25 pm

Stay calm, what you are enduring is a test of mental strength, stamina, and willpower. Spend time with friends who understand what you are going through, and are able to avoid or deal with your anger. Don't do anything that stresses you out even more, it just prolongs the suffering. Sorry, but I happen to think what you are going through should be included on the Surgeon General's warning label :P

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:52 pm

Stay really busy. I'm not a gum chewer, but it really helps. Whenever you start getting those jitters find something to do that keeps you HIGHLY occupied. Turn up the stereo and work out, clean the bathroom and scrub the tub (the fumes kill your tastebuds for a bit), or do something else which has always managed to divert your mind. If I try to stop smoking again I'll probably go back to drawing and sculpture, I get so involved with it that hours go by and I don't think about much else.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:04 pm

Smoking is a horrid habit, I'm proud of you, Slavan.

------------------
-Yayaril
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:29 pm

Its all about mental training.

Or getting another thing you can get more hooked on.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:50 pm

Kill ppl, worked for me. Course I'm still smoking but at least I have a fulfilling hobby now!
Axxsinlazzam
Sojourner

Postby Axxsinlazzam » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:18 am

When i stopped somking, I stopped cold turkey.
I found that drinking alot of water helped me.
Then my ex-wife called me one day and I started back *boggle*

The Axx.
Blah blah blah...
gruldo
Sojourner

Postby gruldo » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:32 am

wank..

------------------
Grul-Diggity!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:34 am

The patch works wonders. It was so easy to quit for me with it that I started smoking again cause I knew that I could quit at any time. Image

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>The patch works wonders. It was so easy to quit for me with it that I started smoking again cause I knew that I could quit at any time. Image

Corth

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You say that now....

Seriously think about what you are doing to your body. you are poisoning it with every hit. i used to smoke. not all the time. like a cigarette a day. sometimes as much as a pack in one day, but it was unusual. i just smoked very irregularly. and stopped smoking about a year ago. (since then i have had a few cigs) but anyways, Love your body and it will love you back!!

Slavan,

cigarettes do the same thing to your brain as whole grains, oatmeal, chocolate(for women only, it's a fact) and also illegal drugs(DON"T DO DRUGS EITHER THO). they increase serotonin. so if you crave a cigarette, eat oatmeal or shredded wheat or somethin. or chocolate. or have fruits and veggies altho i don't know if they have the same effect but they're good for yA!

oh yea and in the book "ten ways to boost your immune system" it says towards the end something like "there are chemicals in foods that have high levels of animal protein that make your body produce more dopamine" and the more dopamine in your head the less relaxed you are. (ok if i am wrong about dopamine i know that it's a chemical that your brain produces making you more alert and sleep less. and less relaxed) anywhoot. ask any doctor and they will tell you if you want to stay up late at night. eat meat in the evening.

------------------
Leah A. W.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Postby Abbayarra » Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:09 am

It's worth it,
For every minute you spend free of smoking, is a minute to treasure. Smoking is expensive, detrimental to your health, decreases your ability to get anything done, hurts everyone around you, and ages you.
What is it that is good about smoking? The feeling, the need. You will be a slave to this desire for the rest of your life, that is what should be on the package from the surgeon general. It takes away your freedom of choice. When and if I have children I will explain what the terrible downfall of this product, along with alcohol and other illegal drugs. The fact that you become its slave, it becomes your life, that your money and time will be wasted on something that is destructive to your health and your checkbook.
If I sound bitter, it is only because I've seen so many of my friends and family's lives destroyed by these habits. Either from direct use, or by being around the person who does this. Please, if you are considering trying any of these things, I beg of you, considered how it will affect your for the rest of your life. If you sit and think of all the terrible consequences, you will realize, smoking/drugs/alchohol, they are not for me. Don't do it for the children!
Thank you.
Tom
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:54 am

EXTREMELY well said, Abbayarra!

And congratulations on at least attemtping to give up, Slavan!
Please do all you can to NEVER smoke any nicotine again.

Cigarettes are a major scurge on society, and one of the few items I wholly agree should be taxed at INSANE amounts, with the taxation revenue being put into health care and litter-cleanup programs.

Oooh, there's much more that can be discussed with this topic; but I'll finish with a final word of encouragement to succeed to you Slavan, and any others who truly attempt to give up forever.
All the best with it!

------------------
Mogr -=BloodSeeker=-

---
Ashiwi says, 'Wrap a wire around a god's neck and hang on for the ride??? Gimme my spurs!'
---
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:09 am

It gets easier after the first few days, once the nicotine craving is gone its just a matter of the killing the habit. Certain situations and places will trigger the habit, just need to learn to ignore it.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:02 am

I'm one of those few people that actually likes smoking. If it wasn't unhealthy I would never think about quitting. There is something incredibly relaxing about nicotine, and being an extreme type A personality, it serves me well. In a sense i probably self-medicated by starting to smoke. When I quit I'm gonna get into yoga or something as a substitute. But I just wish I didn't have to quit Image

BTW: I wasn't kidding about the patch, it works GREAT. Takes care of the physical part of the addiction entirely so you can concentrate your effort on the mental part...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:35 am

I personally detest smoking .. i am not a smoker never have been ... but my parents smoked and my hubby smokes ... i hate it ... hate the smell .. hate the taste ... hate the way it makes your hair and clothing smell ... hate the colds i used to get as a kid ... its nasty

when we moved into the new house (well its beena few years now) hubby decided noone would smoke in the house (at the time he was on a quitting run and didnt like the way his clothes smelled after going into a smokers house for a few minutes ..) i rejoiced! but soon he started smoking again ... and wanted to start smoking in the house .. i said no way .. it is mine and the kids house too, and we dont have to deal with it just cause he doesnt want to be inconvenienced ...

anyway .. i had to go to my first boat for a few days .. left a pile of clothes on the pool table (perfect laundry storage spot since we dont play much) ... was gone 10 days, came back to the pile of clothes on the pool table still .. picked up the pile of clothes and immediately knew he'd been smoking .. he was floored that i found out .. and asked how ... well the stench on my clothes gave him away!

why my kids should be subjected to second hand smoke while i am gone is beyond me .. it boggles my mind that he could disrespect us that much!

On a side note .. another time he had *quit* ... the kids were very small .. we dropped them off at the sitter before work ... picked them up ... when he poicked up the baby and nuzzled her head (come on everyone loves the baby smell .. its undescribable) ... and she smelled like an ashtray ... it was disgusting! so we had to either get a new babysitter (which we did eventually) or bathe the girls every day when we got home (which we did too)

anyway enough on my soap box ... have u guessed i hate smoking? :P

anyway i hate smoking .. hate the way it tastes hate the way it smells ... i am a HUGE cuddler ... and well since hubby refuses to stop smoking .. he gets no cuddles ... guess that smoke is more worth it ...

shrug ...

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:10 pm

OK Muma,

I just smoked a big bowl of oatmeal and I still want a cigarette...

------------------
Laduguer - Exile - Sojourn Administrator
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:47 pm

Ambar I would kick your husbands ass if I was u, if you don't want him to smoke, HE BETTER NOT BE! Stupidass I swear. Smokeing sux0rs.

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:54 pm

The first three days are going to suck. Go huddle in a corner with the lights out. After that it still sucks, but it just sucks less.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:17 pm

Smoking is a genuine addiction, mental and physical, so you are going to have withdrawal symptoms. It's not just something to brush off - it's real.

Now, something to remember is you're also going to have a lot of residual stuff in your system from the cigarettes. Drinking water will help flush it out, but also consider some detoxifying teas and a lighter diet.

I don't know if you smoked in your home or car, but getting the scent out might help. Scent is one of those very deeply emotional things that can make a big difference.

There's always mention in the self-help articles that you have to replace a bad habit with a good one. Drinking a glass of water when you'd normally have a cigarette might work, and have the extra benefit of rehydration and detoxification, but you can choose your habit. Image

One more thing - if you do start smoking again, please don't waste your time kicking yourself. Take note of what the problems were, and try again when you have a new plan in mind. I have more thoughts on this if you want to talk about it...
sharunel
Sojourner

Postby sharunel » Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:35 pm

i don't know. personally think it's all about wanting to quit or not. if you really want it, you can, if you only do it 'because it's more healthy and would save me some money' you probably won't. with or without help from those patches, pills, gum, whatever. all that really does is help your mind anyways. i've been smoking, i decided i didn't like it anymore, i quit. that easy. yes. no, it's not been a year yet, but 2 months, i don't miss it, and i don't feel like restarting. because (all by myself) i feel repelled at the thought of how it feels to have the smoke traveling toward my lungs Image
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:59 pm

Sharunel speaks true.
I smoked for 12 years. My first serious attempt at quiting was in college. I figured it wasn't healthy, cost alot, and my gf wanted me to. I used the step-down patch system for three months, gave my self little rewards when I went an hour, then 1 day, then 3 then a week etc w/o a smoke. I created a used gumball the size of a softball. All of this was for nothing because I started back up.

I quit a year and a half ago because I wanted to. No patch, no gum, no support system, etc.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:08 pm

This is where your Power skill comes in to play. If you sacrificed points in pow for a good con, you're in deep doo doo.

Any cigar smokers here?

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:48 pm

But if you sacrificed pow points for a good con you're going to live to 98 whether you smoke or not.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:00 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Abbayarra:
What is it that is good about smoking? </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will tell you actually. For one it is a stimulant as is coffee, only it acts faster and lasts not as long.
Two it acts as an anti depressant stimulating the production and release of the brain chemical MAO-B. Very effective when used by schitzophrenics and many forms of depression, panic attacks, and GAD.
Three it helps with mental clarity, which is also a form of self medicating that those who suffer from ADD benefit from. Also helps with those who have destroyed bits of their frontal lobe.
I could go on but i need a cigarette Image

But if you want to quit dear, i would either
A) get on zyban or welbutrin for about 3weeks to a month then switch to a SSRI anti depressant until all symptoms go away or,
b) get put on an SSRI (preferably zoloft and not prozac or paxil) and use the patch or the nicatrol inhaler. I recently attempted to quit and went a week without a cigarette with just using the inhaler, but i started having horrible panic attacks and cant take pills so...

Good luck dear. Lots of good suggestions.

Also try dum-dum's or toothpicks along with the gum...just dont switch to eating things with many calories or else you start to plump out since nicotine also raises your metabolism...but who needs that, eh?

------------------
"Kill them all, God will know his own." -Domingo de Guzman, A.K.A Saint Dominic
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slavan:
<B>OK
I quit smoking last night. I am goin insane. I want to kill everyone. I cant even speak without my words getting all messed up. Im afraid to go out...I got road rage without anyone else on the road.
I need any hints tricks information to make this a bit easier.
Help!!
PLease</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

first 3 days are a mess, just live w it, after that the *physical* adiction is just about gone, as someone pointed out whats left to do is killin the habbit. for me pushups worked, i made 30 pushups everytime i felt like a smoke, (=>200+ pushups/day Image) then after like 2-3 months you just wont feel like smoking. (i ofcause picked the habbit up again after nonsmoking 2 yrs:/)
/fil
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Laduguer:
<B>OK Muma,

I just smoked a big bowl of oatmeal and I still want a cigarette...

No no no!!! i meant eat the oatmeal don't smoke it!! any kind of smoke is bad for you! tobacco or not! so don't go smoking oatmeal ohmygod. Image

------------------
Leah A. W.
Zsasz
Sojourner

Postby Zsasz » Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:41 am

BAH!! all you non-smokers make me sick! I say the only real cure is to drink a lot, then maybe you'll forget about smoking, then again mind you, you might wake up beside someone that will drive you back to it...almost worked for me!

------------------
The problem with the world is that everyone
is a few drinks behind.
> --Humphrey Bogart
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:32 pm

As Slavan knows, I recently quit smoking too (again). Problem is nothing works (patches, drugs, etc.) unless you want it to. Just keep at it Slavan, and we see which one of us breaks down first Image

------------------
Meatshield
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:45 pm

I kicked the ciggies ass!
Not a one since my last saturday night!
Thanks for all your posts it helped.
ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:59 pm

I can't help but smoke three cartons of Quaker oats every day, now. I think I'm addicted ever since Muma suggested it.

------------------
-Yayaril
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:14 pm

Yaya: I've gotten so bad that I've started mixing together different flavors. Sooo much apple cinnamon and strawberry in my system now . . . Image

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vahok:
<B>As Slavan knows, I recently quit smoking too (again). Problem is nothing works (patches, drugs, etc.) unless you want it to. Just keep at it Slavan, and we see which one of us breaks down first Image

It's not just a matter of wanting it to work or not, believe me. The physical addiction to the nicotine goes away quicker than you'd think. When I smoked and was stuck in situations where I couldn't light up, I never really got the jitters. For me it was the psychological habit that was hardest to break...situations where I was accustomed to smoking (while drinking, while golfing) were the hardest to handle because I had come to associate those activities with having a cigarette (or occasional cigar) in hand.

The best way to approach it is to not only have a method to break the chemical addiction (patches, gum, Zyban, whatever), but also to have a plan in place for breaking the psychological habit. Make sure you tell everyone you see regularly - co-workers, friends, family - that you're working on quitting, and give them permission to yank cigarettes out of your mouth. Tough love. Avoid the particularly appealing situations that just beg you to light up.

Hope this helps.

-V
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:05 pm

id offer my suggestions, but, honestly, i dont know what it is i did. one day i woke up, noticed i was out of smokes and had no real desire to get more. sure, on occasion i felt like having a cigarette, and on those occasions i usually bum one from a friend, but those times come about once a month. so i really dont know what to tell you, since i didnt quit because it was bad for me, or it was expensive, or anything else like that... i just quit.

maybe im wierd like that.

-Kalith/Cirath
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:04 pm

my co-worker who is a smoker said all those test are a bunch of hogwash. he said no one been able to prove that cigarettes kill people. he said his uncle or whoever it was smokes and live to a very old age and he knew folks who die young without smoking. any comments?
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:11 pm

Amen Sok. If you're predisposed to any of the health problems associated with cigarettes then you're increasing your chances of having to deal with them by smoking. We're all going to live until we die... I'd still like to quit so I don't die with smoker's breath, though.
Donuktanam
Sojourner

Postby Donuktanam » Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:35 pm

im surprised noone mentioned sex yet Image

------------------
You stagger from a fearsome strike by the bloodlord,Ouch! another hit like that and youll have had it!!
FLEE
FLEE
You flee west
You flee east
The bloodlord sends your head bouncing on the floor..
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Donuktanam:
<B>im surprised noone mentioned sex yet Image

sex is the last thing to do while tryin to quit smokin, anything but sex w o a smoke after yer done is bearable../fil
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:32 pm

"You may as well enjoy life, no one gets out of it alive." don't remember who said it, but its true.

If you want to quit, you will, if you don't truly want to, you won't.

My best friend is a smoker, at one time I made a deal with him when he was trying to quit. If I saw him w/ a cigarette in his hand, I got to punch him in the arm as hard as I could. Now, mind you, we made this deal in a bar....
about 10 minutes later, I see him across the bar with a smoke in hand. I walk right up, and POW! pop him in the arm. Reeling from the blow, he blurts out," Deals OFF, Deals OFF!"

Since then, I've merely been supportive vocally of his attempts to quit, and have come to the realization that a comedian came up with a very profound saying, "You're either a smoker, or a non-smoker. Figure out which one you are, and be it."

However, I am in support of ordinances that limit where publically you can smoke, as I don't like secondhand smoke. I am also in favor, in light of all the forest fires caused by the casual toss of a butt out the car window, of flaying those putzes alive. Cars still have ashtrays, USE THEM!

It is a pet peeve of mine people chucking their butts out of the car, I've had lit ones land in my lap while riding my motorcycle. Also, 95% of the roadside trash is cigarette butts.

Basically, if you're going to smoke, do like most of my friends, be considerate of others, and be responsible. Accept accountability for your actions (this goes for everyone though).

end of rant.

Toplack

------------------
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:07 pm

I'm an asthmatic, with a SEVERE smoke sensitivity, so I implore everyone to quit. Not just for your health, but also (selfishlessly) for mine. I hated college, because I'd walk outside a building, and there'd be 20-30 smokers. I'd hold my breath as I ran past, hold it again if I saw I was going to pass another smoker, and hold it yet again when I went to another building. (Should've been on a diving team, but I can only doggie paddle)
There were 2 instances I almost died from 2ndhand smoke Image It is terrifying not to be able to breathe. I don't know how many times my husband has saved my life with the phrase "Hold your breath".
People are shocked that I can still smell smoke on them, even if they were outside smoking. If it's bad enough, I start getting choked up.
I can't go into bars to hang out with friends, can't go to dance clubs, can hardly stand to go into restraunts that have a smoking section, since the smoke always seems to waft over anyways.
We've lost two friends on the mud recently and I don't want to lose anymore. Please stop smoking!
Dulzuth
Sojourner

Postby Dulzuth » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:42 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ssar:
<B>Cigarettes are a major scurge on society, and one of the few items I wholly agree should be taxed at INSANE amounts, with the taxation revenue being put into health care and litter-cleanup programs.
Some countries cigarettes are very cheap, i.e. <= $12 for a carton of marlboro's, etc.
And the addiction part? All in the mind as far as I'm concerned. I'll smoke like a fish every day for a month, a pack a day or more, then I'll stop for a few monthes it never bothers me. I just pretend that I can't get addicted because it really isn't addictive Believe it or not it works for me.

Well, I just want to say just because it's not healthy, or it's not something you would do, or any other retarded reason is NO reason to either screw people over for doing it or make it illegal. The same goes to Alcohol. With all the bible thumpers in the USA passing laws with religious bias, we're going from a free country to a dictatorship. The whole pot issue is rediculous :P

I mean.. why do we have to wear a seatbelt anyway? It's not like we're gonna hurt anyone but ourselves Image There are a lot of really stupid laws, personally think they're just creative financing.

I once heard some ignorant American say this: "It should be illegal for people to cover themselves in tattoos!". Well, This being the United States, a free country, we have freedom of expression, even if getting tattos all over your body can be self destructive, it is your body...

I absolutely abhor any ideas of trying to force people to stop doing any particular thing because it's "not healthy" or "jesus wouldn't like it".

Addictive is bad? Smoking is addictive? Well so is Everquest, and everquest junkies can even go to everquest anonymous! We should make that illegal, sitting on the computer all day is unhealthy, hurts those around you, etc, this can be applied to all such games!

My thoughts? take the god awful taxes off cigarrettes, make marijuana legal in perhaps bars, at least marijuana has some good qualities and that's more than can be said for alcohol. Remove dumb laws like the seatbelt law, and keep morals/religion out of politics. Not saying to bomb innocent people but let people do what they want to with themselves Image Overcontrol is bad

------------------
Verzul / Dulzuth - Jabbuk D'faer - Orbdrin D'oloth

[This message has been edited by Dulzuth (edited 09-24-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:21 pm

play In Nomine.

*duck*

------------------
Amemna tells you 'SEX!! :)'
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:22 pm

Dulzuth,
While I'm not sure how much a fish smokes, I wonder if your 'smoker for a month, quit for a month, smoke for a month etc' pattern isn't a sign of addiction. Just because you aren't twitching in a corner doesn't mean it is not an addiction.

Smoking is different than drinking in that it effects other people. I'm not going to get Cirrhosis because the guy next to me at the bar has a beer. There are studies that show moderate alcohol consumption is actually beneficial for most people. Pot is only beneficial to an extremely small segment of the population.

I believe part of the reason seatbelt laws are in effect are to protect children from people like you. To prevent the little four year old's head from being splattered on the highway because dad thought "I'm not going to hurt anyone but myself."

I'm not sure how freedom of expression comes into play when talking about cigarettes, but I'm all for tattoos.

I think you should be able to do anything you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. Not me, my family, your family, strangers, etc. And by hurt I mean physically, or financially. When that 60 year old man, who's been smoking for 40 years, checks into the hospital and put down Medicare for insurance; That's hurting me. That is why cigarettes should be taxed enough to compensate the government for all the people who 'aren't hurting anyone'.

My thoughts? Tax the hell out of those god awful cigarettes. Make marijuana legal, but tax the hell out of it too. Make seatbelt laws at the federal level(if they aren't already). Keep religion out of politics, keep morals and ethics in. Under-control is bad.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:20 pm

Smoking is good, end of story.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:56 pm

The problems with the cigarette gig, as well as the seat belt one are that A) medical costs are usually picked up by Medicare/medicaid (eg my tax money) and B) law suits because of either medical issues, or addiction issues end up being picked up by the government, again, my tax money.

So, if there were no possibility of the results of an accident with someone not wearing their seatbelt couldn't be tabbed to the Government (eg my taxes), fine, don't make it a law.

Make it so I don't have to pay for other people's mistakes and I'll be perfectly happy to let as many people damage or destroy their own lives as want to. When it effects my health, or my well being, I want a say in it. We live in a representative democracy, so if the majority votes for anti-smoking laws, so be it. Same thing with seat belt laws (which were already done).

IMHO

Toplack

------------------
Dulzuth
Sojourner

Postby Dulzuth » Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:55 pm

If you're an adult should you be forced to wear a seatbelt? I wasn't talking about a 4 year old.

Gort that was a well thought out response, and it does shed some light on the seatbelt issue, but as far as I'm concerned it's shouldn't be a law. As for Rausrh's post, it seemed more like a flame than anything. I wouldn't let my 4 year old not wear a seatbelt, but I shouldn't have to.

Cigarettes are fine imho, ever go to Los Angeles or a city of comparable size? There is so much smog in the air that your lungs start to hurt after a while. Fireplaces are more harmful if you breathe in the smoke. A lot of things dwarf the danger that cigarettes produce, that's all I'm saying. Image Don't tax something because it's addictive (i.e. they get more money cuz people have trouble quiting), or because you might give yourself cancer. People in this country have been smoking for years and years and life expectancy just keeps going up Image It's not that dangerous, and second hand smoke? Bah urban legend, smog is worse.

Democracy? This country was forged as a republic, funny most americans don't even know that. Image The United States government was based on the Roman republic, and it's gonna collapse eventually.

Another pet peeve of mine is gun control, gun control is proof that this country is turning to .. yeah. Define Criminal, someone who breaks the law, etc. Gun control is just another law for them to break, all it does is hurt the people who try and protect themselves. It also violates the right to bare firearms which is unconstitutional. Kinda funny though, government is slowly going down hill and by the time we would need firearms it would be illegal. Guess that wouldn't matter too much, revolution doesn't have to be legal.

In California, drinking and driving is almost a more serious crime than murder, the potential is there but it is NOT even nearly as bad. Also, it doesn't really matter if you're under the legal limit of alcohol, .08%. They can slap you with a DUI if you have any alcohol at all, even the slightest, because they make more money screwing up other people's lives. Knew someone who got hit with the DUI for taking prescribed medicine that did not say don't take while driving, was told that in her Alcohol support group one person got arrested for taking aspirin or some such.

My thoughts... Taxes are bad, m'kay, so are laws that dictate how a person should live his/her life. A lot of laws are just creative taxation :P

bleh keep thinking of something else to say... Raursh I smoke because I WANT to, when I want to smoke I'll smoke but most of the time I don't. Maybe it is addiction but I know I'm not hurting myself too bad. 3nj0y

------------------
Verzul / Dulzuth - Jabbuk D'faer - Orbdrin D'oloth

[This message has been edited by Dulzuth (edited 09-24-2002).]
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Donuktanam:
<B>im surprised noone mentioned sex yet Image

Slaven if you need this kind of help let me know. I know how tough it is to quit smoking having done it 2 years ago and i like to help whoever i can Image

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:22 pm

Bah, whatever. Don't wear a seatbelt, The Pool needs a good cleaning anyways.

Lets stay away from the seatbelt, Democracy/Republic, Gun Control, DUI/Aspirin issues and stick with cigarettes.

Let me start by saying that I in no way what so ever want to make it illegal for you smoke cigarettes. I don't want to stop anyone from smoking. All I want is 1) Smokers pay, through taxes on cigarettes, for the financial repercussions of smoking. 2) Smokers not to effect me, my family's, or my friends health by smoking.

You smog / fireplace is a poor argument. You argue that cigarettes are fine because there are worse things? Smog, while very nasty on the lungs, only effect a very small percentage of this country. Companies that produce smog are very heavily taxed to pay for developing a solution to the smog problem. Fireplace smoke? Well, sure it's bad if you inhale the smoke, inhaling the smoke of ANYTHING if bad for you. (But somehow second hand smoke is just an Urban Legend right?) I would argue that fireplace/campfire smoke does less damage to a person that cigarette smoke. Look what is being burned/inhaled:
Fireplace: Oak/Pine wood.

Ciggarettes:Acetanisole, Acetic Acid, Acetoin, Acetophenone, 6-Acetoxydihydrotheaspirane, 2-Acetyl-3- Ethylpyrazine, 2-Acetyl-5-Methylfuran,
Acetylpyrazine, 2-Acetylpyridine, 3-Acetylpyridine, 2-Acetylthiazole, Aconitic Acid

4(FOUR) PAGES LATER!!

Wheat Extract And Flour, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Wine and Wine Sherry, Xanthan Gum, 3,4-Xylenol, Yeast
(http://www.altcigs.com/ingredients.html or
http://www.bluethunder.org/smoke.html or
http://www.all-organic-food.com/cigrette.htm etc…)

Let's see…which one would I rather have in my lungs?
Oh and when was the last time you wrapped you lips around a chimney and took a deep breath? I never have.

My thoughts… Taxes are good. I enjoy the benefits from taxes such as roads, education, firemen. I absolutely agree with you that some laws are unnecessary, however I disagree that the cigarette tax is one of them.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:26 pm

Ok you all can stop with the advice. I have stopped smoking and done with any and all withdrawls. I do have to say Ill always love smoking but since its sooo bad for me I just had to quit. Im happy to say ive replaced my smoking habit with kickboxing! Fear Me!!
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:26 pm

Ok you all can stop with the advice. I have stopped smoking and done with any and all withdrawls. I do have to say Ill always love smoking but since its sooo bad for me I just had to quit. Im happy to say ive replaced my smoking habit with kickboxing! Fear Me!!
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>I can't help but smoke three cartons of Quaker oats every day, now. I think I'm addicted ever since Muma suggested it.

ROfl Yayaril and Treladian! and Slavan kickboxing rocks! i took muay thai (not for more than like 4 months or so tho hehe) but anyways could you send me that pic of Shailar again pls?

------------------
Leah A. W.

Golnol jumps into muma's arms and gives her a kiss on the cheek

Yonkle OOC: 'Sometimes ooc sounds like Sleep Deprivation Anonymous.' <-- ROFL

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”