Trigger survey

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Trigger survey

Postby Daz » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:11 pm

spam sux in groups, and as a warrior - i realize my spellout triggers are contributing to this. to make amends, I am rewriting all of them.

as casters - do you care about them? or would you also like to see less spam?
just which spells are important?
globe/scales/haste/vit?

what else matters?

------------------
Gormal group-says 'shut up before i stab you in the face with my cock'
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:33 pm

As enchanter, i don't care about ANY of your spell-out messages.

They are SPAM.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:36 pm

Anyone other than the tanks should have all triggers turned off.

Especially those god damned blind triggers and mob status triggers.

And noone cares about your DI out mages. Nor does anyone care about VIT out messages if you are a cleric.

Have some common sense people.

#SA in zmud works just fine for a local emote.

As a chanter (retired), I didn't mind globe, dscale, or haste out trigs.. Blur was redundant a bit, but I could cope with those.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:09 pm

Certain stuff like armor out I actually notice, since I'll recast it for the tanks.
Haste out is just spammy.. blind triggers piss me off, same with other misc spell triggers unless the caster is the one who says it.
Mob status triggers in zones are extremely annoying.

As a cleric, vit out message for my tanks is somewhat useful, but I check group status enough to see when it drops. Only thing I trigger is when a mob is silenced, and if my displace/stone/scales drop.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:10 pm

Well, I am a tank - and like i said -
stone/scale/globe/ward/vit/embody are pretty much what i would prefer triggers for - displace/blur are extras btw, not key :P

------------------
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:43 pm

My personal favorite are spellout messages from people that cast the spell.

Enchy's with Stone/haste out
Cleric's with vit/armor/bless out

I have actually seen a Sense Life Out trigger before.

Why do you have them?

If it is for an alert incase you loose it in spam, change the GSA part to #SA. It makes an alert that only you see (ZMUD anyway, and if you don't use zmud, you suck and I don't care)

If it is a leftover from an alt, either make a different set of triggers, or make them categoried so you can turn them all off with 1 disable.

As for certain spell effect triggers

XXXXX is BLIND/Ray'd/ etc
I would rather casters call them manual so I know which guard is blind or which mage is silent, so I don't have to guess.

I think I have 1 piece of spam trigger.
------------------
emote Rescuepractice

[This message has been edited by Salen (edited 10-21-2002).]
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:09 pm

As a nonhealing cleric, i hate being spam w/ WAKE UP AND HEAL ME!!! also stop rep'ing me. i know you are dying and if i didn't want you to die i would have healed you already. so shut up and take one for the team. stupid warriors alway trying to steal xp.

-----------------
You tell Turg 'see what happens when u cast healing spells u run out. i was saving mine for a rainy day'

Turg tells you 'IT WAS FUCKING POURING!'

[This message has been edited by sok (edited 10-21-2002).]
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:53 pm

O god I agree with you ALL!! (AMEN Salen)

I prefer to see only haste out (no FRIGGIN aura thats why) .. everything else we can see ..

I personally have all tanks and rogues on constant glance, and when on as my shaman i spam the GROUP command to see who needs healed (well ok so i use group as my chanter too .. old habits die hard)

If you have the spell .. dont friggin gsay it just recast it!!

who the heck cares that u just notched dodge!!!!!

if you MUST have them .. #echo them so you spam yer friggin self!!!

What about group effect spells ... GROAN ... death pact, d-bless ... a-shield ... GRRR TURN them OFF!! they are group effect!!! the person that cast them hadda be grouped .. if yours fell OMG so did his :P ..

I have SOME triggers ... like if the tank is hurt bad which noone so far has complained about (cleric memming out maybe).. and one for lich touch (i just find the gentle touch thing hysterical) .. i also have crit hit trigger which .. well hell how often do i actually assist!

Rofl this coming from the SPAM QUEEN .. anyowne who knew Shalia should get a kick outta how much i HATE spam now .. giggle

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Kerath
Sojourner

Postby Kerath » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:57 am

If you're using Zmud, another handy dandy way to self-notify for spells is to use a trigger with a #CW command to change the colour of the message to something that'll grab your attention. You can also add a BLINK flag to this, which will make it flash. If you don't notice a bright pink flashing message on your screen, even in battle spam, you're pretty hopeless Image
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:41 am

Agreed, Minimal spam is good.

Those blind and groupspell triggers arent necessary, for sure.

I, too am currently re-working my spellout trigger messages and minimizing the gsays for the primary ones, and implementing more #say triggers.

It's good to have buttons to control your spellfade triggers, so you can turn sets of them on or off at will. As it is also to use your client's colour controls to highlight certain strings as you wish, I think.

As far as feeb, sil, hex, flux, etc goes, I too would like to see the actual target identified (like 3.mage, not just a mage) when there are multiple mobs of the same kind/name, if possible.

Oh, just realized this stuff should be in the gameplay discussion.. oh well.

------------------
Mogr -=BloodSeeker=-
"If it bleeds, we can killit."

Ythera group-says 'Fotex, what's my ghost doing- giving him a blowjob?'
Tanji group-says 'if so I want the next turn'

[This message has been edited by ssar (edited 10-21-2002).]
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:52 am

I try to leave my mob status triggers on in certain zones with lots of clearing and memouts like jot/muspel and sometimes clouds. Gives the chanters and such the abilitiy to get a bit more exp. I'm so loved.

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:20 am

I like having gsay on blind and curse. That way I can see if someone else has already blinded the mob, or letting the other blind casters know, so they don't waste spells. However, I don't need 5 people shouting blind at the same time. If I see someone else already has a blind/curse trigger, I turn mine off.

Vit triggers are helpful. Heals sometimes get annoying. Especially when everyone in the group seems to have a tank is at few trigger Image and the tank keeps spamming with rep Image

Just my thoughts tho.

------------------
Musi "Desperate to get ress" {-Randgriur-} Waelcyrge Sororitas
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:52 am

Crit triggers... eew..
Sargax
Sojourner

Postby Sargax » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:59 am

Down with bless out triggers!

oh wait. I always forget to cast it. nevermind Image

Ellana
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:17 am

I laugh every time a ranger notifies the group that their barkskin has dropped.

------------------
-Yayaril
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:43 am

What I have seen, once or twice, are triggers that mention the name of the person who originally cast the spell.

What I think would be GREAT for "spellup" spells (globe, haste) would be either an (optional) variable that if set would send the caster of the spellup spell a TELL instead of spamming group-say (allowing necro spellup tells to go to the necro instead of the pet :P) or just a trigger that grabs the name and sends a tell if the caster is a groupmember.

I think this would a) decrease spam to group, and b) make it more likely the spell gets put back up as tells stand out more compared to group-say spam, as well as c) causing massive togging of tells.

Enjoy.

Jorus
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:21 pm

spam? you all know nothing about spam, like the good old days when you watch people eat and drink, or during a fight with shielded mobs seeing all the globe flares from all warriors, you know how spammy that is with 3 hasted monks in the fight?

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:36 pm

I remember the old days Mikayla Image

------------------
Musi "Desperate to get ress" {-Randgriur-} Waelcyrge Sororitas
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:54 pm

Vit out triggers for casters/hitters in a zone where we are not doing rolling vits is a bit annoying.

And since I vit myself last I already know you need the spell. This is unless you were out of the room wandering about when the last vit spellup was called and then you will have to wait until the next spellup (if your lucky)

The only trigger I have is a PFC out which is a Realm out trigger since I have PFC on my gear (hence never having to have that spell unless I have been realmed.

But what I hate MOST of all in groups is gsay's for "someone vit/di/dm/stn/bless/armor/takeyourf'npick me"

Just way to long for us shaman to be wasting spells on you.

I have gotten to the point of just ignoring you. That includes you leaders out there.

SEND A TELL PLEASE

Depok
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:43 pm

well.. right now I'm still a little cleric, so we pray outside of battle normally.. I don't mind the spell out triggers and especially the mob status triggers.

Now, in a zone.. I can appreciate not seeing all those spammy triggers. In zones, the fights are normally done spell up at a time.. so by the time you're killed the guy, everyone mems again. What's the use of spell-out triggers then? I normally armor and bless myself about the same time as I do someone else. so when mine is gone, I know theirs is, too. Same thing with vit, though you don't always that luxory of vit'ing yourself.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:30 pm

Its not spammy mikayla cuz the monks only last 1 round.
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:33 pm

I dunno why you'd think a stone/scale trigger is necessary but a displace trigger isn't. Displace is your first line of defense from attacks... its only after displace chips down and fails that attacks start chipping your stone/scale.

Personally, I'd love it if all tanks had displace triggers. Something clean and with your name in it.

IE
Displace out - Daz

Thats it. I don't need extra crap spoken in dwarvish, or with an accent or some obscure little saying that isn't blatantly obvious. I won't name any names, but the other day I was grouped with some guy who thought it was cute to have all his triggers typed out with some kinda lisp and as if he was drunk. That was really not funny.

Usually in a group I'm the only displacer so I'm constantly glancing at 3-4 tanks, plus keeping an eye out for switches and glancing the group between fights. Its VERY easy to get outspammed with the 3-4 lines of text when you glance at each tank.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>Well, I am a tank - and like i said -
stone/scale/globe/ward/vit/embody are pretty much what i would prefer triggers for - displace/blur are extras btw, not key :P

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:50 am

Chandigar, you are quite right actually - I am just recently beginning to group with illusionists outside of zone groups - I'm old fashioned, and just never really noticed it! Sorry!

------------------
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:32 am

As a shaman, I dont even mem bless. Especially on ship when im stoning or healing and trying to drop nukes in here or there... I have a thousand freaking things to mem anyway so your bless, well, its just so far down on the list of things that im worried about that it usually doesnt happen.

Whoever group-says 'going on bless'
You group-say 'guess its ganna be awhile'

Pansy warriors!
Gerad Image

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:53 am

Heh, my dwarf was the one with the wierd drunk lisp spellout triggers. They're that way for RP reasons for his guild and he's a tank. Sorry, but if I turn them off, you gonna guarantee people replace the spells? A lot of people don't glance.

Personally, I use the spellout triggers as a way to know how how badly someone will get hit and anticipate the fight. If I'm not tanking and glancing, I just ignore them.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:57 am

Any triggers I have are for spells I can't cast on myself, anything I can cast is #SA'd. As to my preferences, I prefer tanks/others to send me tells when its down, it stands out as something for me, and not everyone else.

This is something that I would like to figure out how to set automatically instead of having to program in who cast the spell on me.

As to things like bless and armor, I have one set so my bless/armor target can do something like tug me.

I also have one set up so when I type group, anyone more than 100 hp's from max shows up in red. I don't recall who gave me that one, but its my most used, and favorite tool. So whoever it was, thanks.

Just my .02 c worth.

Toplack

------------------
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:23 am

Heh heh well... I'm not saying to turn em off, but it'd be really cool to have to classes, RP triggers, Normal triggers...

The reason its distracting is that for me at least, if i see a gsay longer than like 10 words, I end up trying to read it in case its actually text... rather than glance at a trigger, get the info, and cast right away.

Then I sit there trying to figure out wtf one of your triggers is saying Image Its just an extra second or two wasted which means quite a bit in a fast paced zone....

I dunno, maybe its just me.

Oh and Daz, yea, thats cool... old school mudders are the toughest to break in Image Gotta teach the warriors one at a time is all heh heh

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torkur:
<B>Heh, my dwarf was the one with the wierd drunk lisp spellout triggers. They're that way for RP reasons for his guild and he's a tank. Sorry, but if I turn them off, you gonna guarantee people replace the spells? A lot of people don't glance.

Personally, I use the spellout triggers as a way to know how how badly someone will get hit and anticipate the fight. If I'm not tanking and glancing, I just ignore them.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gavry
Sojourner

Postby Gavry » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:57 am

Stone out triggers by Paladins who have an Avenger. That really pisses me off. hehe

My Stone Out trigger.

#if (@isgrouped="yes") {#if (@weapon="avenger") {#if (@incombat="yes") {gsay (--> Stone Out - Gavry <--)} {}} {gsay (--> Stone Out - Gavry <--)}} {}
#var isstoned no
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:37 am

Ah, I can see what you mean, but if you read my triggers, it's like this:

--- blah blah blah (Displace OUT)---

Hence, they were normal, then had to change them all to RP. Just read the end. Image
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:32 am

Nods, those of us who try to RP as much as possible have their spellout triggers set to say some kind of phrase and then the normal trigger in parentheses at the end. Mine are set that way and Fura actually complimented me on them the other day *preen*

I will definitely change all those spell out triggers I have for spells I can cast. I didn't think about #say. Thanks.

------------------
Jennie
@}--`--,---
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:04 am

I gsay spellouts for only two spells I can cast: dragonscale and stone

Why? I rarely have them up, and if I do, them dropping may be important to someone else (eg, I've been shaman stoned in spammy fights, which I appreciate, so I can focus on the tank)

I also have a status-bar thingy for the rest of my spells (and some other class's spells), so I can always tell what I have active without hitting score.

I'll try to put together something in the mud-client forum (later) for capturing caster-names. I'd like to be able to just send my vitter a tell, for example. *shrug*

Regards,
Jorus
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:51 pm

Well, its more like

blah blaheth blahish blaheth blah blahish blah blah (displace out)

By then, I've already read through the whole sentence because its kinda unnatural to read the end of a long sentence first heh heh.

Look at it this way: Its the same reason why stop signs just say

"STOP"

instead of

"Hey, your at an intersection and you might get hit by another car or a pedestrian if you don't slow down (stop)"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torkur:
<B>Ah, I can see what you mean, but if you read my triggers, it's like this:

--- blah blah blah (Displace OUT)---

Hence, they were normal, then had to change them all to RP. Just read the end. Image

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:54 pm

Leader X tells you 'errm why didnt you scale the tank?? He died ...'

you tell leader x 'errm was reading player x's triggers .. sorry'

------------------
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:18 pm

do any of you remember the toril days?

where you would get blasted and possibly thrown from a group if you had spammy triggers?

every leader always said to turn off armor/bless/vit out triggers, but crap there's lots of those now.

it's just funny how times have changed.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:42 pm

Edit: I can't believe I'm bothering to defend my triggers on the BBS when it's totally up to me how my triggers look and feel. I'll change the spellout messages so the RP is after the (spellout) after hearing Chandigar's complaint, but other ppl just sound like their funny whining as usual.

[This message has been edited by torkur (edited 10-23-2002).]
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:25 pm

here is an example of one of my triggers:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre>
/def -Fp20 -mglob -w -t'*The elemental ward protecting you shudders and disappears.*' \
ward_out_trig = \
/if (report_spells) gsay ${world_character} isn't elemental warded anymore! %; /endif
</pre><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and then my toggle macro to turn them all on or off:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre>
/alias tspell \
/if (report_spells) \
/set report_spells=0 %; \
/else \
/set report_spells=1 %; \
/endif %; \
/echo Report Spells is now %{report_spells}
</pre><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if someone complains, I can just turn it off by typing 'tspell' and then turn it back on with the same thing.

Tinyfugue r00ls!

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:46 pm

spellout triggers themselves are !RP

if you are RPing anything, then you would do it manually, otherwise you arent 'roleplaying' your 'robotplaying'

there is a big difference between roleplaying your character and creatively writing amusing triggers, and i think its vastly unfair to either to pose as the other.

while you and some people may consider them vastly amusing, as a warrior - find it bothersome to be responsible for 14 other people's welfare in my group and to be inundated every other round with scores of long, tediously drawn out triggers that really just in no way add to any roleplaying experience of me beating the snot out of a 10 foot lizard so i can have its fuzzy pink underwear.

I'm not knocking spellout triggers totally, but let's at least be honest about what they are.

------------------
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:01 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
spellout triggers themselves are !RP</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gsay, ooc, petition, and nhc are generally considered non-RP channels by most people I know. tell is sort of up in the air, as it depends on the context.

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:05 pm

When I DO decide to RP, I use emote, say, and whisper. Not much else you need - all of the other channels I consider functional channels.

------------------
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:41 am

Both Daz and Nokie have a point. I rarely roleplay in tells and gsays, unless it is an rp event and/or I am roleplaying with Nilan and he is in DK or elsewhere I cannot readily go. Very good point.

------------------
Jennie
@}--`--,---
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teyaha:
<B>do any of you remember the toril days?

where you would get blasted and possibly thrown from a group if you had spammy triggers?

every leader always said to turn off armor/bless/vit out triggers, but crap there's lots of those now.

it's just funny how times have changed.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kick people out of my groups for blind triggers.

It is usually just a matter of making them take me seriously when I ask for the third time and half the group isn't paying attention (Notably, it's usually the half of the group with the spammiest in-combat triggers :P). Ungrouping people for xp in fights, or leaving them ungrouped for a minute (or until you get a tell from them) usually gets the point across.

Trigger on your own freaking spells or procs. Keep your triggers offa everyone else's area blind spells. Hell, ask me in the game or in the mud-client forum and I'll tell you how to do it.

I remember laughing while reading a log of an excellent evil scorp-king fight recently, as there were some rounds where nothing could be seen due to the THREE people with indiscriminate blind triggers on.

Regards,
Jorus

[This message has been edited by Jorus (edited 10-24-2002).]
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:15 pm

I just spam them til they turn them off, and if they don't get the hint, I gag them for the group duration.

Which also means you get less spells from me as a chanter, or less rescues from me as a tank. People seem to think they are justified and others think they are funny. 1) you are justified... To yourself. Don't spam me. 2) You aren't funny.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:42 pm

Telnet > all.

Right Nermal?

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>I just spam them til they turn them off, and if they don't get the hint, I gag them for the group duration.

Which also means you get less spells from me as a chanter, or less rescues from me as a tank. People seem to think they are justified and others think they are funny. 1) you are justified... To yourself. Don't spam me. 2) You aren't funny.

Buhaha go Mal go!!!

I remember on Basternae we had this guy .. a gnome sorcerer .. who had ungodly triggers that were so distracting people couldnt do their job .. when you lose fights in pkill muds and lose all your eq cause some twit refuses to turn his triggers off (wonder if Yull still plays there anyway :P)

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”