Rokub invades NYC!o no!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Rokub
Sojourner

Rokub invades NYC!o no!

Postby Rokub » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:56 am

OK! whoa! I'm coming to nyc between dec. 8th and 18th, I'll be in manhattan I think? in THE CITY! roar!
I'm staying on west 14th street, between 8th and 9th avenue.
If anyone lives around here and would like to meet me, plz send me a tell on the mud, or reply on bbs, or email me at yaxacilix@yahoo.com

If you would like to meet for lunch/dinner, ect. plz feel free to get away from the computer and meet me!

Rokub

Jordan

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:08 am

Feh Rokub, I could get there easily to meet you but I will be in Korea until mid January.
A whole bunch of mudders live in the NY area. I met D2 in august and that was way fun though I got nervous and drank too much and then got lost on the way home Image

------------------
Arishae wears a beautiful white cape enshrouded in fairy magic about his body.

Twyl says 'That cloak is just one of the many reasons I'd like to punch Kevin in the face.'

Twyl says 'But then again, I'm a jackass.'

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:08 am

14th between 8th and 9th? not bad. you'll have great access to the village from there.

a few recommendations - if you're up for a burger, you should go to corner bistro for dinner one night. it's right around the corner from where you're staying. for specific directions, look it up on newyork.citysearch.com. try to get there early - 6ish, else you'll be waiting a while. they have kick-ass burgers and delish beer that is about as cheap as it gets in nyc (sorry to say).

or you can try my usual friday evening haunt - st. marks ale house, in the east village at 3rd ave and st. marks pl [8th st]. its got an english pub feel to it. if you're there on a friday evening, tell the waitresses "dave says hi". I'd tell them myself, but I'm stuck in moscow (where most burgers taste like ground-up shoe) until dec 20.

other particular faves of mine around the city (more detail can be found on citysearch):

cafes:
veniero's - 11th st / 1st ave
cafe vivaldi - jones st / bleecker st
cafe reggio - macdougal btwn 3rd / bleecker
cafe lalo - 83rd btwn broadway / amsterdam

lalo and veniero's have fantastic desserts; vivaldi and reggio are good for coffee.

clubs:
plant lounge - 3rd ave btwn ave b and ave c
centro-fly - 21st btwn 5th / 6th
shelter - 39th btwn 5th / 6th
exit - 56th, west of 11th ave

plant isn't really a club; it's a dj lounge. shelter is spot-on for their saturday night "shelter" party; centro-fly can be hit or miss, depending who's spinning. exit is worth going to only because of its immensity - try to go on saturday for junior vasquez's "earth" party. avoid lotus, webster hall, and sound factory like dead lepers.

bars:
well, there's only about 50 million. I guess it depends what you like in a bar.

restaurants:
same goes for restaurants. an additional factor is how much you're willing to spend.

pizza:
john's - bleecker st btwn 6th / 7th aves
grimaldi's - old fulton st, under the brooklyn bridge (brooklyn side)
patsy's - university pl btwn 10th st / 11th st.

my only word about pizza is that while a decent number of the by-the-slice places are good, many of them are utter crap. each of the three places I listed are more like "restaurants" and serve only whole pies.

"the sights":
Metropolitan Museum - 5th Ave / 81st Street
Times Square (sigh) - upper 40s and broadway
Ground Zero (sigh) - lower manhattan, near city hall
Central Park - between 5th ave and Central Park West, from 59th st to 110th st.

how could I not recommend the arms&armor exhibit at the Met to a MUDder? Image I threw Times Square in because I know most tourists find it fascinating. Keep in mind that most NYers avoid it like the aforementioned dead lepers. Don't go to MoMA Queens - they have only a small fraction of MoMA's collection on display, so it's probably not worth your time.

ok, that should get you started, anyway. have fun. wish I were back in NY...

--D2

------------------
Kiaransalee : (51) [ just call me beefy ]
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:08 am

Unless your into B&T and BBQ, I would skip the clubs and head for the lower east side lounge scene. My personal favorite is Kush, a moroccan style bar complete with Houka pipes if your so inclined. I recommend the apple tobacco. Other picks include Bauhaus, Orchard, and Abaya. All located in the Houston/Orchard area, check citysearch.

Temp

B&T: Bridge and tunnel people (NJ, think big hair and aquanet in a trans-am)
BBQ: Brooklyn, Bronx, and Queens
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:53 am

Hey I used to live in NYC - in fact, I got started mudding when I used to live there.

D2 mentioned the Corner Bistro, one of my favorite places as well. Lombardi's pizza on Prince Street near Elizabeth (SOHO) is my favorite pizza in Manhattan. There's a cool bar a block away toward Broadway on the SW corner too that's good for people watching - especially if you like supermodels.

If you like fine Belgian ales, try the Belgian Beer Bar on 4th, just east of 6th Ave. The bar overlooks the famous basketball courts there - hey beer and basketball, why not? Try to mussels and fries there too - ummmmm.

For jazz, try Small's on West 4th St., Knitting Factory in TriBeCa and Tonic have an eclectic mix. Of course, the Village Vanguard is legendary. Stay away from the Blue Note - a gift shop in a jazz club? How jive!

For comprehensive listings I recommend TimeOut NY. Pick it up at any newstand! Rock on.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:20 am

temputz, you obviously jsut go to the wrong clubs (or the right clubs at the wrong times). not only that, but aren't you from boston? like you have any right to be talking about the B&T crowd. :P

knitting factory and belgian beer bar are both excellent. tho, in the case of the BBB, it usually helps to have a taste for belgian beer.

the lower east side lounge scene is good but all those lounges on the LES and in alphabet city are getting a bit overplayed, IMO. tho that place on avenue c where aviva had her birthday party in summer 2001 was nice. what was the name?

oh that's right, temputz, you never showed...

--D2

------------------
Kiaransalee : (51) [ just call me beefy ]
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:09 pm

I was just in NYC last weekend.

I've been living in Philadelphia for a while, and I go up there on occasion.

okay, game on.

------------------
Disco
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:48 pm

ignore these mo's your a tourist, just go to sound factory or the roxy. Its 8 bux a beer wherever you go, at least there u might get laid. NYC yawn its just like home, but more expensive!

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D2:
<B>temputz, you obviously jsut go to the wrong clubs (or the right clubs at the wrong times). not only that, but aren't you from boston? like you have any right to be talking about the B&T crowd. :P

knitting factory and belgian beer bar are both excellent. tho, in the case of the BBB, it usually helps to have a taste for belgian beer.

the lower east side lounge scene is good but all those lounges on the LES and in alphabet city are getting a bit overplayed, IMO. tho that place on avenue c where aviva had her birthday party in summer 2001 was nice. what was the name?

oh that's right, temputz, you never showed...

--D2

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't you heard Dinkles? I moved in last month. You can call me a carpetbagger, but I'm B&T no longer.

I think the bar was the Music Box, or so I recall hearing. I'm sure I had a good reason for not showing, although I can't remember her name at the moment.

I hope your enjoying Moscow, I've heard it's just delicious this time of year!

-Warm and snuggly in NYC
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:58 pm

California > anyplace where white stuff hits the ground in winter > anyplace where humidity is greater than 10%

Ownagiwa
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:18 pm

Best bet.. avoid manhattan altogether. Its expensive and crowded, the natives are arrogant and pretentious... its really way overrated.

Corth (just sat in rush hour traffic for 2 hours...)

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:47 pm

Thanks for all the info, I was actually in new york last yr. and saw most of the sites to see, I'm staying with a friend who lives in manhattan.
All the info is great and shall make my trip a better one.

Thanks,

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:24 am

I wanna invade NYC again! Must go back to Chinatown (dim sum rocks my feeble little world) and Governor's Island. Any of you New Yorkers know if they're opening it (Governor's Island) up to the public or wha? I'm having trouble finding info. I used to live there, from '85 to '92.

Rokub, you and I have the same first name. Do you have problems with people spelling it 'Jordon'? I get that all the time. It drives me nuts. I've never seen it spelled 'Jordon'. Ever. People...

Yeah, so have fun in NYC. Wonderful place.

- Grungar "And a substantial reduction in that urine smell..." Forgefire
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:55 am

Slavan <----New york girl!! Your gonna have a blast!! Warning-Do Not look like a tourist!!! Will make good time turn bad fast Image

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”