paradigm shift

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
moritheil
Sojourner

paradigm shift

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:12 pm

Some play for the friendship.

Some play for the blood.

Recently, Funky Chicken Productions found a new breed of n00b: one who plays soley to compete with RL friends, and cares nothing for anything else.

It is suspected that this heretofore unknown class of player has actually existed for quite some time, but previous instances of this archetype all had the tact to state their motivations in an acceptable manner.

Recently, Mori, purveyor of spankage to the masses, was quoted as saying, "In more than 900 pdeaths I've caused, I have never seen someone complain this much."

Further investigation revealed that, despite protestations that he was not angry at being killed, the n00b in question was in fact quite irate at falling behind. It seems that his RL friends introduced him to Sojourn, and are currently about 5-10 levels above him. However, they refuse to group with him until he gains displace, for they feel he is not of use to them. (Sounds like someone has helpful friends.) Having appealed to Mori for a hopeful fix to this situation, our dear n00b was dismayed that a highlevel would not toggle tells, ignore all his friends, and rush to plevel him at some unspecified location at the drop of a hat.

And now, an exercise for you, our dear reader. What do you say to someone who expects more from strangers they've just met than they do from their own RL friends?

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:31 pm

show me the money?

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:23 am

You should take him zoning, cuz we all know Morizone exp rules! Right Mori?

------------------
Snurgt take no prisoner.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:34 am

lol Corth, I like it Image

I have no problem helping people out. If they get demanding and crap I draw the line however.

But in answer to your question, I'd tell the person to go get help someplace else, or if I was in a bad mood for some reason I'd probably flip them off and ignore them.
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:39 am

I introduced my best friend to Sojourn, spent all my money and spare eq to get her going, helped her level every chance I got, spent hours teaching her everything I know about the game. I don't see why people make this place competitive, seems like that kind of pressure would take away from the fun to me.

------------------
- Booty Assasin -
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snurgt:
<B>You should take him zoning, cuz we all know Morizone exp rules! Right Mori?
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh...

I took him. He afk'd without warning in an agro zone, and subsequently died :P

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:57 am

welcome to sojourn, i think he will fit right in.
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:01 am

I think sometimes you don't want to add people to your group, in certain situations such as doing ship exp, the enchanter gets like none if the group is to big, but now there is smoke plane.. (cheap) :P

If he is your real life friend is pretty ruff to deny em from a group thaz kinda Image

I know on another mud I used to play, my friends and i exped together till we were able to exp on our own, and they would like dump me from the group to go exp on my own, bastards!

But I still did ok, in sojourn its even more group based, or you need some high level to plvl you unfortunately.

His friends should straighten up and see that if they help him exp, that will make it even faster for him to get displace, and be a use to their group, as if they don't help him he will sit around doing nothing in most cases, which blows.

Help your real friends.

Rokub

I will deny all j00 cause I'm a expnazi btw.

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Postby Abbayarra » Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:46 am

Hello all,
Talking about newer players. I don't think some have read the rules. I met a warrior today who was following me around. I finally got him to admit that he was following me around in hopes that when I was fighting I'd throw my weapon so he could pick it up.
At least he was honest.
Peace
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:19 am

Been around for a long time.

Like new blood.

Don't deal w/ the impolite well at all.

Vit me. Heal me. Pick this.. tank that....

Piss off...

Be polite, and I'll do anything I can to help. Beg equ, and you can piss off too!

If yer a newbie, ask good, intelligent questions, you'll get em answered, and get a leg up on those who broke the trail before you.

Be a petulant, I want it on a silver platter player, and you'll get the short end from those who have put in the blood, sweat, tears, and time to help make the game what it is.

Welcome newbies, use the golden rule, and it will serve you, abuse it, and it will rule you.

Toplack

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”