Hrmm topic, when's the mud launch date?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Hrmm topic, when\'s the mud launch date?

Postby Gindipple » Sat Jan 27, 2001 1:06 am

Just had to ask :)

Gindipple (Gnome) stands here waiting to login.
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Sat Jan 27, 2001 2:47 am

I always have the sneaking suspicion that I won't find out the very second it's up, so I randomly load up zMUD and try to connect to sojourn3.org on all the old ports. It usually just causes me to choke up, though.

*sniff*

By what name do you wish to be known?

Harthorm/Twiblin, dammit! *sob*
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sat Jan 27, 2001 3:45 am

I thought you could already connect to the mud. At least I heard some people did and my brother said he did. Cant do anythign though.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Jan 27, 2001 5:13 am

When is the MUD opening?

"First quarter of 2001".

That's all I can say for now. Sorry guys, I know the waiting is tedious, but we can't launch until we finish the things we have in development - and I'd really hate to make a date and then break it.

When we're a little bit further along we'll anounce a hard date for Alpha Testing.

We appreciate your patience! :)

-- Shevy
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Sat Jan 27, 2001 5:29 am

I'd really hate to make a date and then break it

Shev, nobody likes a tease ;)

Harthorm/Twiblin

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 28, 2001 5:51 am

I can tell you that all the major projects remaining to be completed, have coders or makers assigned to them and are actively working on them. We have come a long way towards the end result, and I feel confident that we will make it within the first quarter of the year for full Beta. It will have the same Sojourn flavor to it that you all know and love, but it'll also have alot of neat new features that we think you'll enjoy and lots of new Areas to explore. When we sit down and decide it's time for Alpha, we will post the solid dates on opening.

Miax
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sun Jan 28, 2001 7:01 am

I hoipe you dont give away all the nice new area to the alpha testers. Save some of them for us little guys to find 8P
Alban
Sojourner

Postby Alban » Sun Jan 28, 2001 7:22 am

Heh, i'd rather they alpha tested all the zones, than have me enter one as a beta tester and get killed in a couple hits because a gnoll hit me for 111d5 instead of 11d5.

Al

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 28, 2001 7:32 am

Actually None of the new zones will be loaded onto the mud during alpha testing. Zone problems will be few and far between under Cyric's command, and those that are found will be promptly fixed. Alpha testing is only for testing the mud engine and all it's features. The areas will be something everyone will enjoy for the first time, at the same time, when we open for Beta.

Miax
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sun Jan 28, 2001 8:17 am

If gnolls hit for 11d5 my squid would be meat crossing the gnoll hills. If they hit for 111d5 everyone would be in trouble 8P
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Sun Jan 28, 2001 9:39 pm

Not having been around between the alpha and beta testings of a MUD before, will this mean a pwipe between stages? If it does, I'm not really sure how I'd feel about it. I'm thinking it would be good in one way because then high levelers wouldn't be running through all the new zones with ease :)

I especially like the fact that the new zones are going to be saved for beta. It gives us a little something to look forward to if we have to sacrifice little things like chars in a pwipe ;)

How long are you anticipating the alpha stage to last?

Harthorm/Twiblin
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Mon Jan 29, 2001 12:40 am

kris had said that alpha will be a closed-testing phase, meaning only a few selected individuals will have access to the mud, and that it really wont be like making a char, because each tester will be assigned a different task/class/level each night during the testing. not sure on the specifics of that. but after alpha is over he said that beta would be just like regular mud. everyone can log in and make characters, and no pwipe after that.

saitcho
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:21 am

Ahhh, OK :) Thanks for the info, Saitcho. That makes sense, since they'll want certain things tested and if they just opened it up, they'd probably end up with a bunch of people playing during alpha, but not providing relevant feedback. In any case, I hope it doesn't last too long :) Just long enough to flush out the bugs, of course ;)

Harthorm/Twiblin
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:29 am

BAH! just open it up and we'll play through the bugs! ;)

Sarvis
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Mon Jan 29, 2001 3:53 am

Yeah Sarvis!
Minthur
Sojourner

Postby Minthur » Tue Jan 30, 2001 1:19 am

I for one am glad you all are waiting until you have the mud done right. There is nothing worse than drooling over something you have been waiting for only to find out it's shoddy or incomplete! Take PS2 for example :P *NUFF SAID*

--Minthur
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Tue Jan 30, 2001 1:30 am

I totally agree, Minthur :) I do want the MUD to be done, right, but at the same time, this evil little voice inside me demands that I suckle it with glorious Podville stomping groups! Yeehaw! Hommina hommina! Blehblehblehblehbleh thbbbbbbt!

*smack* Sorry about that. I think there should be support groups for every new game (including MUDs!) that come out these days! I have been very aware of a trend (although it isn't a bad one) ever since the first Bauldur's Gate game was released. Massive delays in the name of testing and testing and testing until it's done right. This is good because the player gets a better product in the end, but it tends to lead to a syndrome of sorts when the player knows about the game too far in advance. The game tends to lose a bit of its charm when you check the sites every day, hoping for an update when none is found. It makes us (players) crazy.

I dunno... am I just rambling, or does anybody else feel that it might be better off just finding out by surprise that Toril is up one day? I don't even think I feel 100% one way or the other, all I know is I'm becoming obsessed with checking this website. Do I need help?

Harthorm/Twiblin
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Wed Jan 31, 2001 1:14 am

Yeah.. i had that problem with DIablo II and expect to have that problem with WARIII already want war III now (have for like a year) ;) .. looks great.. im sure warIII will be awesome, i thought DIablo II was going to be much better, but to save time i guess they decided to stop doing random quests now everyone has to do all the same quests just to get to diablo, and not enough different skills.. you really had to stick to each one per character, which i hated, i wanted verstile characters.. the way they have it setup is dumb..anyway, enough ranting on diablo II ;) umm. .sojourn 3.. yeah.. waiting too long can build expectations too high, but i don't think we'll have a problem with it being not as good as we think because we all already know it rocks :P (this is like Broodwar.. waiting for that to come out for Starcraft... it is cool to have all those little additions, even though i hated to wait for it ;)

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”