Giving up jpop forever :( Country FoReVeR!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Dalar
Sojourner

Giving up jpop forever :( Country FoReVeR!

Postby Dalar » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:42 pm

Damn you guys are so gullible! Anyways...

Almost a week ago, my orc shaman, Raburi, was forced to change her name by Kiaransalee. The grounds were that Raburi is a japanese word meaning "lovely". The proof of this was Raburi being hits on web pages in www.google.com. It was hinted to the staff by "several non-immortals". When asked if Raburi had appeared in a japanese-english or english-japanese dictionary, Kiaransalee said "this isn't up for discussion". No real proof was given.

Here's some pointers for all you non-Japanese speaking people.

The Japanese alphabet consists of the followings (in Romaji):
a i u e o
ka ki ku ke ko
ta chi tsu te to
sa shi su se so
ja ji ju je jo
ma me mu me mo
ka ki ku ke ko
na ni nu ne no
za zhi zu ze zo
da (been 5 years since i learned these 2, but i never hear them so skipping them) de do
ha hi fu he ho
pa pi pu pe po
ba bi bu be bo
ra ri ru re ro
ya yu yo
wa wo
n (sometimes used as M, such as Tempura)
sha shu sho
jya jyu jyo
(more of these a ya yu yo after consonants but i'll skip those)

also there is a special character most westerns call a "small tsu" that is put after a character to emphasise the beginning of the next character.

Special note: ra ri ru re ro is pronounced "La Lee Lew Lay Low"
I think that's most of them. According to the Romaji alphabet, Raburi looks like a japanese word written in Romaji. The Japanese culture takes in a ton of words from other cultures and use them in their everyday speech. For example:

aisu kurimu: ice cream
arubaito: part-time job (french origin i believe)
sutato: start
myuziku: music
depa-to: department store
shapupensuru: those clicking pencils
tenisu: tennis
basuketoboru: basketball
suta-: star
se-ra: sailor
romaantiku: romantic
raburi: lovely

I could go on forever but I'll stop there.
Here is the guildlines for names.

Unacceptable names:

1) Silly or funny names. Examples: Gillywoper, Wooglewanper
The only exceptions are the gnome and halfling races.
2) Compound words. Examples: Lordfear, Hawkfist, Rainman
3) Words, mispelled or not. Examples: Wynde, Windy, Wynter
4) Name from books or television. Examples: Rand, Smaug
5) No names or words backwards. Examples: Regnarami, Diurd,
Samoht
6) No famous names. Examples: Cher, Madonna, Billclinton
7) Names that do not fit the race you are playing. Examples:
An elf named Garagh or a dwarf named Theleindifel
8) No words or names from other languages or cultures.
This also includes oriental names.
9) No oriental names or oriental sounding names. We do not have
a "Far East" on Sojourn as yet (with no immediate plans to add
one) so such names are not allowed.
10) No names from TSR, FR, or Tolkein spelled correctly or not.
This falls under the names from books criteria, but it seems
we have to indicate this as a separate item. Examples:
Drizzt or Drizst, Crysania or Krisania, Frodo or Frodoh

Raburi is NOT a word from an oriental culture as clearly shown from above.

Raburi is not an oriental name. If it "sounds" oriental, then I guess I'm breaking a name rule. But am I really?
If you use Japanese Romaji to pronounce Raburi then it sounds like a Japanese word, or sounds like "Lovely". Before it was brought up, how many people pronounced it as "La boo lee"? Before I even mentioned it to Kiryan, he didn't know what it meant and he LIVES in Japan. Nobody in the pronounces "Ra" as "La".
Examples:
Rabbit, Rabbi, Rabble, Rabid, Rabies, Raccoon, Race, Race, RAcehorse, Racism, Rack, Racket

Nobody in the pronounces "Bu" as "Boo".
Examples:
Burn, Burp, Burrow, Bursar, Bus, Bush, Busy, Butt, Butter

Nobody pronounces "Ri" as "Lee"
Examples:
Ride, Ribbon, Ridicule, Rifle, Right, Rim.

Here is a list of players that have Romaji names.

Hatan
Nokie
Reden
Tanji
Okina
Zariana
Toraza
Namiren
Sese
Zarra
Aminem
Uta (not sure if he is still around)
Sonin (Hot jpop singer might i add. has also been mentioned SEVERAL times by me to the gods yet still exists)

IMHO all these names should be changed if I'm forced to change mine. Also, they should be put into search engines like mine was to see if it has any origin, and use alternate spellings to find the language's origin. But then again, Dartan showed up too in a search engine. Or, the gods should lighten up and admit they're wrong in this case, undecline Raburi and stop being so picky on names.

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:23 pm

I admit it.. Back in 1996 when I created Nokie, it wasn't supposed to be a play on words from my bard character named 'Noke' (which is a play on words from my first ever character, Noc (a human sorcerer) which is in turn a play on words from my old BBS handle, 'NO CARRIER'.)....

Indeed, Nokie was born out of a great appreciation for the musical talent of Nokie Edwards (which you can find as the first entry of a google search for 'Nokie')

Alas woe is me!

Image</img>
(taken from ]http://www.golden-rescue.org/allabout/memorials/nokie/nokie.htm])

[/sarcasm]

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers

[This message has been edited by Nokie (edited 10-06-2002).]
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:23 pm

woops, mistake. please ignore

[This message has been edited by Nokie (edited 10-06-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:24 pm

It might help matters if there was a greater focus on weeding out illegal names at lower levels. Often when people have to change their name it creates quite a hardship for them because they have developed many contacts among other players with that name...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:26 am

If there is no Far East in Faerun, where did Shijin the Nine Tailed Dragon come from, or that elegantly deadly katana? Lamellar is a type of armor that originated in said area as well. Seems there is more than enough influence on Sojourn from the 'Far East'..

------------------
-Yayaril
celara
Sojourner

Postby celara » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:53 am

hahahahahahahaha
while we're on the pet thing, I ran
across this:
http://home.delta.se/dreamofsilk/dartan_engelsk.htm
again, I say,
hahahahahahahaha
-Celery

------------------
Just as soon as I belong/Then its time I disappear
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:04 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>If there is no Far East in Faerun, where did Shijin the Nine Tailed Dragon come from, or that elegantly deadly katana? Lamellar is a type of armor that originated in said area as well. Seems there is more than enough influence on Sojourn from the 'Far East'..
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there are still monk mobs, you know Image

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:28 am

I won't say anything in support or otherwise... except this. Out of the blue the other day somebody in the game sent a tell to me asking if I knew that my name was also the name of a Native American tribe. At least, I think it's a Native American tribe. It's obscure enough I've never heard of it, and I've lived in Oklahoma all my life... all of our history courses include a great deal of Native American history due to Oklahoma's history with the Native American peoples. I ran a search on my name and found it in reference to some Native American culture, but I haven't delved into it any more deeply yet.

I don't want to lose my name, but if that's what has to happen, so be it. On the other hand, I chose the name Ashiwi because it was so completely different from any word I'd ever heard, and any other name, for that matter.

Choices of accepting or altering names are always up to the admin and their take on each individual situation... but there's only so obscure you can get before every string of letters that can be spoken can sound like either a word in usage somewhere in the world today, or in a historic language. The game, itself, is based in the english language, and very obvious homonyms should definitely be discounted (I always wondered how "Sinusosaixy" got past the monitors, no offense, but I'm sure there are reasons). Perhaps if you have to reach for a reason, though, then maybe the name is really obscure enough to fly.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:05 am

hrm.. jpop or country?
jpop or country?
tough choice.
I choose.. kamikaze over those.

------------------
Mogr -=BloodSeeker=-
"If it bleeds, we can killit."

Ythera group-says 'Fotex, what's my ghost doing- giving him a blowjob?'
Tanji group-says 'if so I want the next turn'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:10 am

Raburi sounds orcy to me...shrug

WTF is with Satay tho? :P

------------------

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:28 am

Oddly enough, when I did a search for that name, something called j-seek (which apparently has jpop music?) came up with a song with that title.

I'm shocked, shocked!
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:03 am

I did a google search on my name.. here are some results:

Assorted Nuts And Mishri Box.

In this paper we present the findings of a prospective study on pregnant mothers
using tobacco paste (Mishri) attending the Antenatal Clinic of Rajawadi

heh.. kinda funny Image

While her family's dinner cooks, Mishri
will sweep the dust and debris from her hard-packed dung and mud floors.

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iyachtu:
<B>Oddly enough, when I did a search for that name, something called j-seek (which apparently has jpop music?) came up with a song with that title.

I'm shocked, shocked!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're point? None of the songs I listen to have this word in it. I'm betting the music u picked this up from anime music.
And why are you shocked? I already said Raburi is a borrowed word. Stop trying to be funny.

If you want a list of what I listen to, then:

Hello! Project stuff
ZONE
Da Pump
Hamasaki Ayumi
Amuro Namie
Speed (Old and disbanded but still good stuff)
Shimatani Hitomi
And some one hit wonders.

And for those who asked, Raburi has no new name so the character can't be logged on.

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:27 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
<B>I won't say anything in support or otherwise... except this. Out of the blue the other day somebody in the game sent a tell to me asking if I knew that my name was also the name of a Native American tribe. At least, I think it's a Native American tribe. It's obscure enough I've never heard of it, and I've lived in Oklahoma all my life... all of our history courses include a great deal of Native American history due to Oklahoma's history with the Native American peoples. I ran a search on my name and found it in reference to some Native American culture, but I haven't delved into it any more deeply yet.

I don't want to lose my name, but if that's what has to happen, so be it. On the other hand, I chose the name Ashiwi because it was so completely different from any word I'd ever heard, and any other name, for that matter.

Choices of accepting or altering names are always up to the admin and their take on each individual situation... but there's only so obscure you can get before every string of letters that can be spoken can sound like either a word in usage somewhere in the world today, or in a historic language. The game, itself, is based in the english language, and very obvious homonyms should definitely be discounted (I always wondered how "Sinusosaixy" got past the monitors, no offense, but I'm sure there are reasons). Perhaps if you have to reach for a reason, though, then maybe the name is really obscure enough to fly.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ashiwi I know we've had our differences in the past and I have no malice towards you before or after what I'm about to say.

Ashiwi has a meaning in a different language with exact spelling. If pronounced in a certain way used by ONE culture, Raburi is the Japanese pronounciation of an English word that was probably taken from a Latin or something. Wow that's really fair?

------------------
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:24 am

My 2 cents:

If Raburi breaks the rules, then I sure wouldn't mind to see 90% of elven names changed because they sound more human than anything else.

Here are just a few from one 'who' that I found not amusing.

Araso
Styxar
Aldira
Verest
Deltin

Styxar? Come on, give me a break. Whatever happened to 'Silaeraeliae' and other nice names?
Linelai
Sojourner

Postby Linelai » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:06 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarell:
<B>WTF is with Satay tho? :P

AHAHahahahahaha!! Sorry, couldn't help it. Satay is a type of food where I come from Image
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:08 am

Yea, i guess Kia only eats at japanese resturants and not at linelai's! Who hasn't heard of Satay sauce?

------------------
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:11 am

Shrug, When I came back I made Mamoru, my name. Was accepted and everything was fine. Been usin that name here since way early toril. Decide to reroll since I was -10 to fix stats and name was declined. So much for the promises of grandfathering names.

I've found the name rules to be as randomly enforced as ever. Honestly, if yer 40+ you should not have to change your name. If no one was paying enough attention during your first 40 lvls to say something, then thats not your problem any longer.

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Sszantiel
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:22 am

I've been told that my name is a direct ripoff of some character from some D&D module or campaign or something. All 3 people who have told me this have been very vague and offered little explanation, could someone clear this up for me please?

P.S. Don't clear it up if it's gonna get my name removed Image

/sszan
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:23 am

Why not just let current names slide and put a disclaimer saying "If we don't like you we'll just change your name for no reason whatsoever."

------------------

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:37 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B> You're point? None of the songs I listen to have this word in it. I'm betting the music u picked this up from anime music.
And why are you shocked? I already said Raburi is a borrowed word. Stop trying to be funny.

If it's a borrowed word, then there really isn't any debate. The help file, as you posted it, says no words, mispelled or otherwise. It does not say no English words, as you're obviously interpreting it.

But it's also patently obvious that if someone wanted to name a char in a language that was more familiar to the mud populace that it would be rejected out of hand. The fact that it's in a language that is less familiar is the main reason it went undetected initially.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:12 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iyachtu:
<B> If it's a borrowed word, then there really isn't any debate. The help file, as you posted it, says no words, mispelled or otherwise. It does not say no English words, as you're obviously interpreting it.

But it's also patently obvious that if someone wanted to name a char in a language that was more familiar to the mud populace that it would be rejected out of hand. The fact that it's in a language that is less familiar is the main reason it went undetected initially.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3) Words, mispelled or not. Examples: Wynde, Windy, Wynter

I'm not misspelling lovely in any way. The name fukhed would be misspelling something. Batpo would be misspelling a Chinese word. In the helpfile the example was given with English pronounciations. Wynde, Windy, Wynter are all different ways to phonetically spell (or something like that) Wind/Winter. Raburi, by the general populace of every English speaking nation, would be pronounced as:

You group-say 'guys how do u pronounce raburi?'

XXX group-says 'like its spelled...'

XXX group-says '3 syllabuls.. Ra-Bur-E'

And DJ ari even pronounced it as "Ray bur eee"

So I'm not mispelling any words in English with the name Raburi. I'm not mispelling any words in Japanese b/c there is no such thing as "Raburi" in Japanese. Any first year student knows that "lovely" would be something like Kireina. All adjectives end with an 'i' or 'na' at the very end.
Examples:
Tanoshii
Kireina
Takai
Muzukashii
Kowai
Hiroi
Chisaii

The only reason you get Raburi is b/c you're translating a word from english to japanese phonetics, THEN tranferring it back into english. For this process I will use Ice Cream.

1) Japanese person sees "Ice Cream" in English.
2) Japanese person writes it down as "Aisu Kurimu" in Katakana (the alphabet for Western words) so his Japanese friends can read/pronounce it better.
3) English person sees "Aisu Kurimu" in Katakana.
4)An English person reads the katakana and is too lazy to transfer it back into English so he/she leaves it in its pure romaji form, Aisu Kurimu.

Raburi isn't mispelled in English as lovely. Raburi isn't mispelled in Japanese. The only thing it does is sounds like is lovely if you use a Japanese accent. With that in mind, are you guys going to be pronouncing every word in every different culture's accent now?

Let's have some fun here:

Kel sounds like how a Southern Chinese person might say kill.
Crumar sounds like how a chinese person would pronounce car in japanese (kuruma).

Need I say more?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dalar (edited 10-07-2002).]
Cira
Sojourner

Postby Cira » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:33 am

I had a 30ish level char wish a name I really liked. When I later tried to use the same name on another character it was declined because apparently it's a real name.

Never heard it, didn't see it on any search on any engine, while my main characters name shows up in a number of places.

If it's an unacceptable name why let us get past 20 with it and make contacts, etc? It just ends up a major hinderance.

------------------
Cira - ShaWOman
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:34 am

did a google search on the japanese adjectives that dartan listed and the word raburi. results:

tanoshii: 7,210 links found with the word.
kireina: 1,810
takai: 37,800
muzukashii: 1,730
kowai: 13,700
hiroi: 17,500
chisai: 2,750
---------------------
raburi: 147
---------------------

I think dartan has a point. If its not actually a japanese word, and its certainly not an english word, then its not a word at all. Its certainly not worth the time of the admins to nit-pick to this degree.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:42 am

http://www.eza.gv.at/

http://www.eza.at/

http://www.eza.org/

Just an example that sometimes, names are gonna come up that are used somewhere else.. after a while you're gonna run out of words.

------------------
- Booty Assasin -

[This message has been edited by Eza (edited 10-07-2002).]
sharunel
Sojourner

Postby sharunel » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:46 am

er yeah. the names thing seems a bit odd. i've seen names that directly translate to nightmare and dragon in german. both persons claimed it was a name given to them by the gods when they were asked to change theirs. name policy _does_ seem odd... (no, i don't know if these ppl have their names changed again, but i am sure i saw both at least a second time after that again)

oh btw, they weren't even misspelled.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:56 am

http://www.tnlacc.4mg.com/chachani_r.html

Good example of a song in Romaji with a little bit of 'raburi' at the end. Notice how the english words that are japanified are also written in english underneath to show that they aren't japanese. "Raburi" is one of those words. And you cant seriously say its so close to 'lovely' that its actually an english word. What you have is an english word as it would be pronounced by a japanese speaker... so in actuality, no word at all.

example from the link:

majikaru purinsesu majikaru purinsesu
(Magical Princess magical princess)

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 10-07-2002).]
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:18 am

Shalia is a real name too ... cry whine sigh Image but I sure have used it on the mud for 5 years or more ... am i to change it too??

I can't believe noone has mentioned Ambar ... altho it was mud created by the name generator ... at level 50 am i going to have to change it too??? can u imagine a mud without Ambar de Ogre!!

I think it's time to be a little less strict ... or change all offending names ...

Raburi is level 47 and has never been secretive about his name (hugs dartan j00 know i love ya) never been anon, whatever ...

Hell who remembers Thamas?? It was allowed ....yes i know you are thamas, d man ... it's just a point im trying to make ...

Names slip thru ... I agree with whoever said it .. people make contacts as such and such a name ... let it go after a certain level (46+ is horrendous!)

Krad was declined because it is dark backwards?? o come ON ... noone seemed to care when he asked to have that name (hell he didnt even realize it til he was asked to change his name)

I was allowed to have Giliian as a grey elf sorc years ago ... hell MYSTRA approved it! (and have since then used Giliian in a story .. she is Shalia's mother)

As long as the name fits the race, and is totally not obviously a real word ... (let English be the base language since it is the language we all speak on the mud)... what is so wrong with allowing the player to have some small satisfaction of having a name that means something to him or her??

Is Dajenken going to have to change cause it is made of his REAL name and mine?? (jen and ken)

I typically try to agree with the immorts because i so appreciate what they do for us and our mud .. but this time i am going to have to raise a BS flag and ask that this be looked into ... and changed!!!!

thanks, jen
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:24 am

if no one recognized it, then it didnt need to be changed. no one recognzed it, thats why it took 3+ months before you got around to forcing him to change his name. no english speaking person can be reasonably expected to read "raburi" as "lovely." Do a test, right "raburi" out for your friends and family and ask them what that means. I bet you get a lot more rabbi repsonses than lovely.

when it comes to something as sensitive as names and titles, i really think you guys should ask yourself does it absolutely need to be changed? If not leave it alone. name and title is probably the two most important aspects of your satisfaction with your character.

now you guys come out of no where and force a name change? it certainly looks like there is more to the story, like someone being unpopular aka on the shit list.

My original name, cuz. forced to change it cuz it sounded like because. Asked for Kuz, was told no, see previous sentence. Ran into a level 40 troll with the name Kuz about a month ago. Why can he have this name but I was denied? Is "Kuz" a terrible name? This is the sticky situation you get in when your too quick to deny names and change names. Shit like this gonna happen since the rules are more subjective than objective but you compound your problems by being whimsical and obstinant.

lemme guess how this went down. some player/god whispered in another gods ear raburi is lovely in japanese. some god decided had nothing better to do than to rain on raburi's parade (on a whim or cuz gods dont like this player). goes hey you need to change your name its japanese word. wrong he gets pwned but goes hey im a god, it may not be a japanese word but its close enough change it. we go, give us a break is it a big deal, no one recognizes it as lovely, but im a god so change it.

rethink this please.

or fix all the "bad" names... grandfathering is a sappy excuse because i dont recall the name rules ever being less stringent. just because they got away with breaking the rules 10 years ago, does it mean they should get to now?

AMBAR (know anyone named Amber?)
RAGORN (i dont care how long he had it lots of people recognize it as Aragorn)
EPAPHRAEL (think angels and devils)
SOK (frequent cambodian first name)
TOGEL (phonetically sounds like toggle)
SESEXE (sounds like "ssss sexy")
SINUSOSAXIY (containts the words sin, sinus, so, read consecutively it can be pronounced "Sin, U so sexy")
GORBAASH (this is the green dragon in the movie "Flight of dragons")
BALOROBAD (yea no shit, balors are bad!)
NUDAT (knew that did ya?)

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Rymbie
Sojourner

Postby Rymbie » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:10 pm

Tanji/Mamoru, I feel you on the whole "randomness" issue...

My primary char (before Sojourn 3) was Shyarn Feng, a monk. I had that name for I don't know how long, even after the staff said there would be no "Far Eastern" names. After seeing some other peeps (i.e., Asamoth Matsuki), I thought it was cuz I had been around a while and my char was 50th anyway (back when everyone and their mama wasn't 50, if you can believe that, hehe). One random day, Mystra sent me a tell explaining the "no Asian last names" policy and took it away. I didn't complain, cuz after all, policy was policy. I was just kinda surprised that they didn't do it before...and why they let me keep the name for so long.

Funny...I remember a lot of peeps sent me tells in the days after I changed my last name to Senn'oh, and they were like, "What happened? Something RP-related?" Heh.

Rymbie Ruddycheeks/Shyarn Feng

-----------

Darnalak tells you, "Woot! Last name change!" LOL. Image
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:16 pm

Hmm... A copy and paste from my Japanese-English dictionary on everything that matches "lovely":

[i-to-shi-i] /(adj) lovely/dear/beloved/darling/(P)/
[a-i-ra-shi-i] /(adj) pretty/charming/lovely/
[ka-wa-i-i] /(adj) (slang) pretty/cute/lovely/charming/dear/darling/pet/(P)/
[ka-wa-i-ra-shi-i] /(adj) lovely/sweet/(P)/
[ka-re-n] /(adj-na,n) poor/pitiful/cute/sweet/lovely/
[su-te-ki] /(adj-na,n) lovely/dreamy/beautiful/great/fantastic/superb/cool/capital/(P)/
[u-tsu-ku-shi-i] /(adj) beautiful/lovely/(P)/
[u-ru-wa-shi-i] /(adj) beautiful/lovely/(P)/
[u-ra-ra-ka-na-ha-ru no hi] /beautiful (lovely) spring day/
[kyo-u-shi] /(n) lovely figure/
[kyo-u-se-i] /(n) lovely voice/

------------------
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:15 pm

How sad....

Gnerble got only one hit in google, and Gnerblie got 0.

I made up Gnerble 2 wipes ago after trying for 30 minutes to pick a halfling sorc name. Gods kept declining my names, so I started making them more and more rediculous until they accepted.

Back in the day, I had friends with names like 'Yamada' and 'Godai'. Even have one named 'Mephisto'

Bottom Line - It's not hard to pick a name, even if it's a name that is common in some other language. Just be sure that noone else knows about it Image

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gnerble:
<B>How sad....

Gnerble got only one hit in google, and Gnerblie got 0.

I made up Gnerble 2 wipes ago after trying for 30 minutes to pick a halfling sorc name. Gods kept declining my names, so I started making them more and more rediculous until they accepted.

Back in the day, I had friends with names like 'Yamada' and 'Godai'. Even have one named 'Mephisto'

Bottom Line - It's not hard to pick a name, even if it's a name that is common in some other language. Just be sure that noone else knows about it Image

did you read a thing i said? It's not a freaking word or name in any other language

------------------
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:44 pm

My name pops up a bunch of stuff in German and Swedish. Also some random wacky Norwegian has a drawing of someone named Grungar on one of her sites. Also some progressive rock group has a song with my name in the title. Someone evidently uses my name in UT, as well. Ooh, there's also someone on DAOC with the same name. Google shows 80 hits. Heh. The name popped into my head way back on Toril when I decided to make a dwarven conjie, simply because dwarves rule and conjies were pretty damn spiffy back then. It's madness, I tell you. Madness. Anyways, yeah. I have no point to this post, other than the internet is pretty wacky, and as time progresses, you're going to have people that think alike and come up with similar names in their writings and such. As for words filtered through some crazy foreign accents, that's a kinda grey area. Yes it is still an English word, but just how far can you get from English before you start infringing upon some other language? Yeah, I'm making no sense, as usual. Back to doing analytical chemistry for me.

I wrote "Ookii desu yo" on the napkin last nite at the Japanese place I went to for dinner. Tee hee hee! My book teaches us all these phrases that can be construed as innuendo. A couple of greetings and then straight into the innuendo. I love it.

- Grungar "Hiragana is purdy" Forgefire
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:31 pm

Damn you Dartwussy, just because you started the thread, doesn't mean that I have to respond to you Image

I was talking more to the 20 or so other replies (sorry). Everyone started looking up names in Google!

Fine, fine, I will comment on your situation. Yeah, I know your name isn't a ACTUAL japanese word. I'm not sure if the gods THINK it is one, or that it's close enough to warrant a change. From a gaming standpoint, yeah, it sucks that you had to change your name after so long. At the same time, there are only a few other orc shamans in the game. If a new one sprouts up > 46, everyone will assume that it is you.

I love you anyways!

Dartan tells you 'Here, take a look at my sack'
Dartan tells you 'Give it back when you are done and I will show you my hole too'

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gnerble:
<B>Damn you Dartwussy, just because you started the thread, doesn't mean that I have to respond to you Image

I was talking more to the 20 or so other replies (sorry). Everyone started looking up names in Google!

Fine, fine, I will comment on your situation. Yeah, I know your name isn't a ACTUAL japanese word. I'm not sure if the gods THINK it is one, or that it's close enough to warrant a change. From a gaming standpoint, yeah, it sucks that you had to change your name after so long. At the same time, there are only a few other orc shamans in the game. If a new one sprouts up > 46, everyone will assume that it is you.

I love you anyways!

Dartan tells you 'Here, take a look at my sack'
Dartan tells you 'Give it back when you are done and I will show you my hole too'

I just want my name back Image I'm sure if you were accused of using a Japanese name but wasn't you'd be mad too.

------------------
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:45 pm

Fun with names.

Elseenas - Elsee is a name, so is Nas (the latter is Celtic, I can simply find a few instances of the former).

Did I realize either of these things when I choose it? No.

Amenha/Amemna - Amena is a word in spanish meaning "pleasant."

I did not realize that when I selected the randomly generated "Amenha," I doubt Amemna knew it when she selected Amemna.

Nissa is an Italian name.

I didn't realize that when I selected it off the random list either.

Ashiwi - In the Zuni language, their people are called "Ashiwi."

Sarell - This is a name (hell, looking through the google search, there was a Playboy Playmate Sally Sarell--Miss March 1960).

Cherzra - Cher is a word in french, zra also seems to be a word though I cannot find the definition.

Linelai - Phonetically/Wordplay "Line Lay". Lai is also a word in I believe Chinese. So this is the combination of an english word and a chinese word.

Cira - This is an acronym: "Centro Italiano Ricerche Aerospaziali", it also stands for "Chemical Injury Resource Association".

Corth - a mathematical algorithm in linear algebra packages. Also a Germanic last name.

sharunel - Shar is a deity name, it also means "Shell Archive" in geekspeak (a particular file format) and is a command in unix (do a man on it). Unel is a name.

Shall I continue?

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:02 am

More fun with names on the who list.

Lurgo - bears a distinct resemblance to "Largo" from Monkey Island II.

Gazhad - Galahad anyone? "Gaze Hard" perhaps, so word play? Had is certainly a word in english, and Gaz is a name, so "Gaz had" could be used as "Gaz had an appointment..."

Anila - Blatant first name, also a derivation of "Vanilla".

Oosh - Common Acronym. Out Of School Hours. Also belongs to several organizations.

Trewe - a last name. As used in Chaucer it also is the archaic form of "true" in English (see dictionary.com). Word play: phonetic equivalent of "True".

Jani - Misspelling of "Jini", also a blatant first name.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:44 am

Oof.

------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:16 am

let's not forget Gizem! and.. well.. that one doesn't really need to be explained Image
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:53 am

Wow. This post is directed to those who feel no one should have their name changed after level whatever...

We have a handful of admins, and often something like 100+ players per boot. The admins are supposed to be doing their admin stuff, which includes watching for all the new characters who come into the game.

I remember somewhere that there might not always be a god on. So if there's no admins on, and someone like Nine (druid) shows up, it gets missed. What if Nine goes anon and no one happens to be available to ask for a name change until that magic level is reached? So when someone tries to get the name Dix (ten, in french) or Seven or whatever, because Nine got through, they'll be very upset about the blatant favouritism.

It's fine to say that after a set level, names should be permanent. I had my bard renamed because it was similar to a name on one of those collectible cards, and it took the spirit right out of her. She wasn't too high, but I'd put in my time, and suddenly she was a stranger, and it'd have been nice to keep her name, but it wouldn't have been fair.

As for Raburi, I don't know. You do spend a lot of time and effort on your chars, and I know how hard a name change is when the character is well developed, and you've taken great pains to show that it's not really a word. Neither was my bard's name, actually.

Do we want admins to scour the names to clear it all up? Fura apparently is Swedish for pine tree - not being Swedish, I didn't know - but that's a lot of searching. It sounds like we'd need a full-time admin just for names if they're to be caught before whatever level, or else remove anon so the players could report these odd names before the critical level is reached.

All I know is those don't sound like good options to me...
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:31 am

Aram is a compound word..

A ram. So that name should be deleted... Oh wait it was. Grandfather names dang it! =P

------------------
"Tracer fire works both ways"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:33 am

I have two viewpoints on this.

First of all, making Dartan change Raburi is pure cock and balls. It truly is. Raburi might be the japanese slang-derivitive of an english word, but I mean come ON... draw the line already.

Secondly, grandfathered names. Sojourn isn't just a game anymore, it's a community. That community is full of personalities that have spanned mud "generations." It saddens me that Mamoru was turned down this wipe more than anybody knows... because talking to Runecopple isn't the same as chatting with the guy who practically raised me on the mud. Rejecting player names that have been part of the Sojourn environment for years is like carving little chunks out of the rich history of the mud. I like to think I've made an impact on the community here, however small. And when a new player hears some story about something I was a part of years ago, I want them to be able to approach me and start a conversation without having to figure out which third-generation name I'm hiding under.

Nope, my name doesn't pass naming conventions. Please remember that six years ago when I rolled, LotR wasn't really a part of our mainstream culture like it is now. But before anyone tries to jump on me to change it, let me ask this: When I log on, how many of you think of "Ranger that stabbed an orc in the eye and then shot it with an arrow" and how many of you think "Spank-prone Ranger associated with Wanderlust who doesn't play anymore and writes long BBS posts?"

And that's all I got to say about that.

------------------
- Ragorn
You group-say 'What's up, bro?'
Touk group-says 'Accounting homework and skill practice.'
You group-say 'Ewww... which is worse?'
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:51 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elseenas:
<B>
Cherzra - Cher is a word in french, zra also seems to be a word though I cannot find the definition.

Nice try.... do a search on cherzra and see what you find. All unique, baby.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:20 am

Gokal - Abbas Gokal http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,3835577,00.html
A huge frauder...
JV Gokal and company
http://www.farmworld.com/trade/aa000325.html
Sells goats to Verzul...

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:54 am

give him his name back please.

you may be "right"
you may have the "rules" on your side

but sometimes when your "right" your still wrong.

was "raburi" so terrible that you had to change the most important absolute basic fundamental characteristic of his character?

when you hear "Mplor" do you think level 50? Do you think Monk? Do you think gloves artifact? Do you think 100, 99, 80,100 stats? 7d5 bare handed damage? or do you remember they player for his deeds the zones he lead carried out under the name of "Mplor"?

There is nothing more important than your name and the name change policy is FAR TOO LIBERAL if your gonna be changing obscure names of level 46 characters after they've played and established a reputation for 3+ months.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:57 am

Hey, "Mplor" reminds me of the word implore, as in 'I implore the gods to give dartan back his name already'.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:59 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
<B>I won't say anything in support or otherwise... except this. Out of the blue the other day somebody in the game sent a tell to me asking if I knew that my name was also the name of a Native American tribe. At least, I think it's a Native American tribe. It's obscure enough I've never heard of it, and I've lived in Oklahoma all my life... all of our history courses include a great deal of Native American history due to Oklahoma's history with the Native American peoples. I ran a search on my name and found it in reference to some Native American culture, but I haven't delved into it any more deeply yet.

Choices of accepting or altering names are always up to the admin and their take on each individual situation... but there's only so obscure you can get before every string of letters that can be spoken can sound like either a word in usage somewhere in the world today, or in a historic language. The game, itself, is based in the english language, and very obvious homonyms should definitely be discounted (I always wondered how "Sinusosaixy" got past the monitors, no offense, but I'm sure there are reasons). Perhaps if you have to reach for a reason, though, then maybe the name is really obscure enough to fly.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your name was questioned because it was from a native american tribe, I would have to get my dagger out.

o_o
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:46 am

When I hear Mplor, I think of Nokie for some reason, but I can't quite seem to figure out why.

------------------
- Ragorn
You group-say 'What's up, bro?'
Touk group-says 'Accounting homework and skill practice.'
You group-say 'Ewww... which is worse?'
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:04 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
When I hear Mplor, I think of Nokie for some reason, but I can't quite seem to figure out why.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For those that don't know, type m-p-l-o-r and then re-type it, but hit the key to the left of the one you just hit.... Image

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”