Name creating

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Bibbe
Sojourner

Name creating

Postby Bibbe » Sat Jan 27, 2001 12:44 pm

It's really annoying to be forced to wait for an admin to be online to have your name accepted or declined.
That random name generator seems fine, but does it still have to be the old way with player generated names.

If an Admin isn't online perhaps you could make the name autoaccept, BUT the name will be added to a list of unapproved names.
When an admin comes online he could check that list and approve or decline names. If he declines the name and the player is online they change the name. If the player is offline he will recieve a message when he comes online that the name must be changed and won't be able to go online until it does.

Or something like that....
I know Sharune has a really good solution to this.
Thalor
Sojourner

Postby Thalor » Sat Jan 27, 2001 5:45 pm

Summary(since this message is fairly long): I start with pitching the idea of a player-approved naming system, then ramble on about how various details could work.

Another way of allowing player generated names to be accepted when admins aren't on would be to have a system set up where some players, perhaps newbie helpers, could vote on whether or not a name is acceptable when no gods are on to approve/decline names. People could try to create characters when at least say... 6 newbie helpers have toggled an option that says they're willing to review names at the moment. The name would need something like 2/3 of the votes to be accepted.
The potential new player would also get a warning message before they began the character creation process that their name was being accepted/declined by players, not a god and thus they might have to change their name later if a god reviewed the list of player-approved names and he didn't agree with a couple of the decisions.
On the flip side, the player could also try to have his name approved again when a god was on if it was rejected be the players. While requiring more work, a system like this would offer a much better safety net than just letting any old name through. (e.g. there would definately be nobody going by the name of "SuperElfie" even for a short time, as is a possibility with auto-approval.)
A system like this might not be of much use during the first few months when the MUD goes on-line, simply because the majority of people will be too busy playing with the newly implemented code and areas. But, when things settle down a bit, a player-approved naming system could be really helpful. Damn, just re-read the message and realized that I wrote too much, as usual =P Oh well! I'll just do one of summary things at the top =)

-Thalor <insert witty saying here> Duskriver.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Jan 27, 2001 5:56 pm

I dont think people understand how many dorks there are that rolls a char named Cocksucker or John or Drizzt!

/Jegzed
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Sat Jan 27, 2001 9:15 pm

I think the name generator will work fine. If you don't want to wait for a God, it will at least let you get on and play the MUD. The only thing I'd suggest, is to put a flag in the pfile of a player who had a name made by the random generator. Then if they wanted, they could request a name change (let's say only before lvl 10) if the name wasn't quite right for them. The Gods would use that flag to see if they are legitimately requesting the change and then remove the flag when it's done.

Personally, I'll probably try the name generator if I have to, but unless an infinite amount of monkeys working on an infinite amount of typewriters for an infinite amount of time generate Harthorm, Twiblin, or another of my characters names in the first batch, I'll just wait till a God's around to approve.

Speaking of God's being around... It would be nice if we could check the Sojourn web page and know what Gods are logged on (or at least if a God is logged on. It shouldn't be too hard to add some code that changes an environment variable or something on the server when a God logs in. Then a simple CGI script can check this variable when a visitor comes to the page. Or maybe there's a better way of doing this :)

Harthorm/Twiblin
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Sat Jan 27, 2001 11:50 pm

Bah they are all invis to level -49
anyways.....
Or else they be spammed by petitions : )

heh
- bibbe
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Jan 28, 2001 3:32 am

Harthorm, your idea is probably best. That would allow anyone to get in the MUD whenever they like, allow them to get the name they really wanted at some point, AND ensure that no crap names ever get in. (Unless the generator makes em!) That's most likely how we'll do it.

As for the god visibility thing, there should be a notice right when you begin to create a new character that informs you ahead of time whether you will have to use the name generator or if a god is online for acceptance.

-- Shevy

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 28, 2001 5:56 am

I agree with you guys on this, and I see this as one of the things Administrators should take care of on a request basis. This will help prevent people from stealing the names of others. It will work the same way regular name acceptance works today, a one-time change for characters less than level 3 to 7 (or something similar).

Miax
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Sun Jan 28, 2001 8:22 am

*hugs her name*
Jenera Myestas...mine mine mine! :P
anyway
I still don't like this name generator thing
and i think bibbe is right
the name generator doesnt solve the "waiting for admin to approve" problem if they dont want to choose a name from the generated list
and i personally don't think you should be playing this mud if you want to create a stupid name..if you want a stupid name, play Everquest, you'll get your life's worth there ;)
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Jan 28, 2001 11:37 pm

But it does solve it...

But instead of waiting to roll your character until you see an admin online, you can just roll it with a random name and play with it. Then when you do see an admin, you would request a name change to the name you really wanted.

Isn't that better than just waiting around hoping for an admin to log?
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Mon Jan 29, 2001 8:24 pm

you see thats why i picked a lame name like brugg, who in thier right mind would want to steal that one :-)
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Mon Jan 29, 2001 9:08 pm

I've had three names stolen ..
Pidd
Bibbe and Loriaal

pisses one off bleah piss piss piss piss on u

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2001 9:09 pm

I should also add that I'm still refining the name generator. Halfling and gnome names are now considerably improved over what they were. There are just one or two races left at this point that I'm not entirely satisfied with. I know most of us have names we want to play, which will require admin approval. The generator will be most useful for people who (1) play from odd time zones, (2) have never played before or (3) are rolling up an alt and have just hit a creative block (or are doing it at 4am). I think you'll like the results once you really see it in action.

--D2
Kailam
Sojourner

Postby Kailam » Tue Jan 30, 2001 12:19 pm

The autoapprove is good in any form. And I agree with Shevy the listed above solves all "social" problems - race naming policy, silly names, etc. But the old names stealing question is open. I think we need some kind of check that Kailam is me and I can take this name in Sojourn III. Lets think about it.

Kailam.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”