misc. thrown items - 2 types

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
izarek
Sojourner

misc. thrown items - 2 types

Postby izarek » Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:22 pm

I'm curious if much thought had been given to implementing code allowing the use of miscellaneous thrown objects in combat. I mean stuff like nets and greek fire oil, not chairs, rations, and that kind of stuff. These could act like the following:

net: weak minor para spell

vial of slippery oil: short-duration trip

vial of fire oil: burn baby burn!

vial of sticky goo: interfere with spellcasting for a short duration

sand: short blindness

I'm sure there are many others ppl can think of.
____

Another related idea is the addition of boulder-throwing for ogres. I realize they're not giants (though I think giant-kin mobs should get this too), I could see an ogre tossing a big rock at my rangers head. Might help ogres stack up a lil better to trolls *shrug*. Would be terrain-dependant, of course.
____

Would these add a fun/interesting aspect to the mud? Would they be easy to implement? For the first idea, should it be rogue-only (with their thrown weapon skill) or a general thing that anyone can do?
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:33 pm

I think most of this stuff was taken care of with poisons. I think there were minor para, blindness and some others. I dont think they were used much but they were their.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:43 pm

Yeah, I realize that there are poisons that blind, para, dmg, etc out there. I think that was a great addition to rogues. I dunno, it just kinda bugs me that classic AD&D things like nets and greek fire oil aren't in the game.

Anyway, what about the ogre thing?
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Tue Feb 27, 2001 12:46 am

I seem to remember, way back when range was being implemented, that Miax would talk about a scenario involving ogres throwing rocks/boulders at a party passing through their territory. Was this embellishment?

Anyway, I think having other range items is a good idea. It would be cool to have some minor damage items such as fire potions, little temporary petrification potions, and other crap you could fling at a mob. As well as making that camel crap and all other forms of dung fling-able.

Edit: A general throwing skill could be given to all classes, since it doesn't take much skill to throw a pile of crap or a vial... the better the skill, the better chance of hitting your target, of course Image This should in no way stack up to the damage of a range capable class. It would be cool and somewhat useful to have in the game, I think.

Harthorm/Twiblin

[This message has been edited by Harthorm (edited 02-26-2001).]
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Feb 27, 2001 12:53 am

Gawd! How could I forget the camel crap! Bad me.
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Tue Feb 27, 2001 1:01 am

Ooooh, and just imagine a vial of magical smoke. You can flee safely with !track by the mob for a (very) short duration... enough to get a few rooms away Image

Hehe another quick thought, what if a rogue could use this smokescreen to disengage and hide from a mob... they would stay hidden after the smoke cleared, as normal - the smoke is just to give them time to attempt a hide... *cackle* Sounds like backstabbing goodness, baby!

Harthorm/Twiblin

[This message has been edited by Harthorm (edited 02-26-2001).]

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”