Hey Shev (About name declines)

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Averyn
Sojourner

Hey Shev (About name declines)

Postby Averyn » Thu Mar 01, 2001 3:19 am

I'm not sure if this topic was ever brought up, but I have a question about name declines.

Currently (unless it was changed!), when a character is rolled and the name is declined, that name is no longer available for usage.

I was wondering if that can be changed so the rejected name will ONLY be declined for that specific "Race". Race specific declining basically...

Lets say I roll "Blargh", a Half-elf Ranger (hee!). He quickly gets declined with the message "You gotta be kidding! die!"...
currently (unless changed) that name becomes totally unusable for new character creations. What if I want to roll "Blargh", a Ogre Warrior? That name would still be declined even though it's perfect for Ogres...

I know the whole login thing has to be changed to reflect what i'm suggesting, but some names have a certain value for players. It's very saddening to lose one of those names just because it doesn't match a specific race... <:'( <--- sad sad face

AD
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Mar 01, 2001 3:30 am

They stated they were going to be less 'realistic' with names, and allow names that might not fit for a race... I was even told(I think), I could use Malacar for a grey elf... But they still are going to restrict 'stupid' names... Lordbuttmunch would be purty lame. Image

They also stated that if no god was on at your time of creation, you could take a randomly generated name, and later petition to have it changed to one more suiting your tastes. Also they said that people who had names from long ago that they wanted to use, would have first crack at them for the first 30(? I think) days.

Mal
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Thu Mar 01, 2001 6:25 am

I know a time limit has been set for claiming your old names, but I was wondering if it might be better if the the Gods could set up a web interface for people to submit their old names into and have them logged to a database. I'd hate to think that just because I rolled Harthorm first that 3 months down the line when I roll Twiblin, some name-stealing twink has already grabbed it and I can't do anything about it.

Harthorm/Twiblin
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Thu Mar 01, 2001 8:53 am

>They stated they were going to be less >'realistic' with names, and allow names that >might not fit for a race... I was even >told(I think), I could use Malacar for a >grey elf... But they still are going to >restrict 'stupid' names... Lordbuttmunch >would be purty lame.
>They also stated that if no god was on at >your time of creation, you could take a >randomly generated name, and later petition >to have it changed to one more suiting your >tastes. Also they said that people who had >names from long ago that they wanted to use, >would have first crack at them for the first >30(? I think) days.

30 days.. hmm sweet ok!
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Thu Mar 01, 2001 3:19 pm

You could decline a name on race before... Image
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Thu Mar 01, 2001 8:38 pm

They could decline a name by race before? Why was it changed? :O
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Mar 01, 2001 9:40 pm

Yep, I added this sometime during Soj2.

All it does is disallow a name that is inappropriate for a specific race, but still allows it for every other race.
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Fri Mar 02, 2001 1:01 am

Whilst we on der subjekt!

Just a friendly reminder that you busy admins remember to try and disallow those pesky similar names! like:

Shevaresh, Averin, Malacur, Kurrz, Tagod, Ragurn, Gormol, Waelas, Hartharm, Tayras, Jharr, Mplar, Voria, Jurdox, Alaindrul, Miox, Therdon, Minthar, Cyrik, Dharn, Saitchu, Kanthos, Yazden, Fheten, ETC! hehe

snickor!

Laogh!

Yoe Ell Hove a Nyce Doy, yoe heir?

Snickor!

Last!
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:24 am

Don't forget Nilarn! That one made me do a double take when I saw that one along the BGR =p
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:02 am

Awesome Shev, thanks for the info!

AD

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:57 am

Waelos:

Sure, we'll watch for those, just as long as you guys don't roll up your alternates with names one letter off from your main's Image
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:57 am

Waelos' crack habit has become pretty bad of late methinks.
Oh well, its still funny!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:36 am

back in the day, Ranger Teflor's name was stolen by a warrior who named himself Telfor. Said warrior quickly leveled up to about 40, whilst Teflor, who was always mostly on for RP, remained at about level 28ish. (The fact that his friends had a real knack for getting him killed may have played a part.) The tables were turned when a gnome dimmed to Teflor months later, and returned a rhemo cloak. Image
"You stole my cloak!"
"You stole my name!"

Eventually the cloak was returned and the offending warrior agreed to reroll with a different name.

PS- I don't know if Teflor's coming back this boot, but I'm trying to convince him to. Anyone have a log of any of his crazy antics? like taking on a dragon to allow a group to escape, and surviving more than 3 rounds?

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”