hilarious EQ names

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
moritheil
Sojourner

hilarious EQ names

Postby moritheil » Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:00 pm

well, apparently there are Everquest items called Prexus Cobalt Gauntlets. Anyone remember the paladin Prexus (formerly Pril?) Heh...

Then there's the Cazic-Thule server. I'm pretty sure there was a char on Toril named Cazic (yes, aside from Cazin).

I don't play EQ so there's probably a lot more that I don't know of. Has anyone else come across interesting and/or possibly plagarized EQ names?
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:14 pm

Most of the equipment there is plagiarized. I was amazed at how closely related the 2 games were.

Tiny Silver Rings is about the only one I recall offhand. I blocked out EQ as much as possible. Horrendous game, imho. I can't believe I wasted 16 months of my life on that thing.

/bash off

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:45 pm

Most of the equipment there is not plagarized :P I mean come on, how unique is a "tiny silver ring" anyway? It's like stock Circle code :P But you won't see any of Sojourn's real items on Everquest.

We may not all agree with Aradune's implementation, but if you've never actually talked to him or played the game, give the guy some credit. He's a really cool guy, and whether you LIKE EQ or not, he accomplished a lot.

- Ragorn
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:03 pm

I never bashed Aradune. ;p

The game was made by a team of designers. Yes, they did a good job. However, their management of said game is incomprehensible. Players are evil. Down with players. Money is god. To hell with what the players want, we'll do whatever.

That's the mentality -I saw-. It may be different on other servers, and I can't really fault everyone, even though I would like to. Image

Yes, the tiny silver ring is stock.. It was more of a joke actually. I remembered when I first got there how I thought everything was alike, but for the life of me I can't rightly recall everything. It's been like 2 years since I played Sojourn, so I can't make a decent comparison.. But the feel was the same.

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:27 pm

Although I'm not in the same boat as Malacar, I did indeed see lots of gear that at least resembled gear on Toril. Here's a list.

Grey Suede boots- Powerful haste boots with nice stats. Exists in Toril and in Veeshan's Peak in EQ.

Silvery War Axe- Decent one handed slasher. The EQ version has the added benefit of infravision. Don't know where it drops from in EQ.

Leather Sleeves with Rusty Spikes- The Toril version lends the player a nice damage bonus with the negative aspect of bad save versus magic (Thusly named Suicide Sleeves). The EQ version gives a player a hefty strength bonus at the cost of magic resist.

Runed Bolster Belt- A nice haste item that drops off the frost dragon known as Lady Vox. If I do recall, the black girdle with silver bolsters (known to many as the bolster belt) also came from a dragon heavy area.

Iron Ration- Yeah, so a lot of games have these. I still don't know what the heck they are.

Yayaril
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:34 pm

Err Ragorn? someone eating your brain and replacing it with some hideous alter ego? This doesn't sound like you.

I think Malacar made his evaluation of the game over 16 months of playing the game. . . or did I misread his post? bah anyway

I have talked to Aradune. I have played EQ. He is a cool guy. I don't like EQ. There are a _ton_ of similarities in equipment there (silvery war axe, gauntlets of erradication, star shaped onyx earrings, ebony bladed longswords, etc) but hey. . . you know what? I personally think that it is a badge of honor and a great compliment to Sojourn to have those items in. Aradune's roots were in Toril / sojourn and he lets that show through somewhat. I think that's really cool.

And yes, he has accomplished a lot. Without a doubt! =) But still we are free to express opinions, I think.

I dunno, I think I was pretty taken aback by the flavor of yer post ya ragged ranger. You Ok?

Waelos
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:36 pm

Oh and hey! there really is only 2 reasons I don't like EQ =) and they're my fault! I don't have a fast enough connection to make zoning less painfull and. . .. MOST importantly....I can't alt tab out to look at nekkid nymphs! *wink*

Lost!
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Waelos:
<B> I personally think that it is a badge of honor and a great compliment to Sojourn to have those items in. Aradune's roots were in Toril / sojourn and he lets that show through somewhat. I think that's really cool.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said. No matter what peeps think of playin EQ, it has grown into a huge thing and I think everyone has to agree that is a compliment to sojourn.

Izzy
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Mar 29, 2001 6:07 pm

I dont know if it is still there but when I started playing Everquest it gave thanks to Sojourn mud specifically. Everquest is obviously a good game, its popularity os pretty overwhelming. Its a tottaly different type of game than Sojourn because of the sheer number of players and the large number of servers. On Sojourn your name means something, people will know who you are, on Everquest you are just 1 of thousands and thousands who log on to each server. This doesnt make everquest a bad game, its just a different type of game. In my opinion though when you compare a product that is created as a profit device the level of interest from the administration stems only so far as they can make money from it, where on a game like sojurn the admin care about the game as their creation and you end up with a much better response because of that.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:31 pm

Oh I dunno, I had a long talk with Aradune on Exile one night, particularly about the plagarism of Sojourn in Everquest. There's no point really relating that conversation to the board, but after hearing him talk firsthand and seeing the game myself, I'm sufficiently satisfied with the way EQ is presented.

As for the anti-player sentiment, I have NEVER seen a player base hate the designers of their game more than EQ players hate Verant. How can I give an analogy.. ok, clone me like seven million times, and then imagine each one of those Ragorns posting about why their class/race/religion is unbalanced and why Verant should fix it.

Know how I bitch about rangers? That ain't nothing next to Whineplay. I could take lessons from some of those crying sissies.

- Ragorn
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:48 pm

Yup, they rabidly hate them.. And I can't rightly blame them, but that's neither here nor there. I agree, this isn't the place to bash them, and I apologize for my earlier comments.. Not because they are wrong or nonbelief in them, but because this isn't the place for them.

That said... I played that game religiously for a long time. I had a level 51 druid. A level 52 monk. A level 54 monk. A level 23 warrior, a level 30 enchanter, a level 35 druid, a level 20 cleric, a level 13 shaman...

Some others. I put a lot of time and effort into the game, and the simple reason I quit is because of hurt feelings. Noones fault but my own for getting attached and letting myself care beyond the text in it. Image

Yes, EQ is an accomplishment, and my hat is off to Verant for it. I will not go back, but that does not mean they won't make a lot of money and have a huge playerbase. Avant Garde!

No offense was taken, Rags.. I usually take criticism constructively these days.. Thanks for the vote of confidence Wae. =)

See you guys on Evermeet in about 4 hours!

Mike

------------------
Mal

Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:01 pm

First day i logged onto Everquest
I ran into an Erudite wizard named Pooky Bear
an Ogre warrior named Sonnuva
and a dwarf cleric named Photton Torpedos

fun eh?
when i switched to the povar server
they wouldnt let me use the name jenera which has been excepted on Sojourn not to mention every other mud ive played but let an Iksar necro name himself Styleesh Leezard

oh brother
Cazin
Sojourner

Postby Cazin » Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:20 pm

its pretty cool u guys still remember the character named Cazin.. mE!

cuz i didn't playlong but it seems some of u guys still know me Image
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:13 pm

Seen a halfling named dinggle berries, a Loxen Bagels, Passion Flower, Teensy Weensy....

eq was fun while i waited for sojourn to return...
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:00 am

anybody have a ton of hk's on their server?
tunare seemed to be full of them:
hkhealgirl
hkiksarhk
etc.
other fun names were Chom Chom, maxtur mcbates, Hawyud Jablome, Cowzgomoo(which GM's let him keep b/c the druid said he was teaching people that cowz go moo).
Jaeron
Sojourner

Postby Jaeron » Mon Apr 02, 2001 12:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Waelos:
<B>Oh and hey! there really is only 2 reasons I don't like EQ =) and they're my fault! I don't have a fast enough connection to make zoning less painfull and. . .. MOST importantly....I can't alt tab out to look at nekkid nymphs! *wink*

Lost!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, connection doesn't do anything to speed up zone time. It's all in your CPU speed. A TON of people try to dispute this, but load up the tutorial, where you play offline. Loading takes just as long. Furthermore, download one of those EQServer emulators, and you'll see it takes just as long as well.

------------------
Jaeron -Shadowstalker, Merc for Hire, at your service.
Yarthra
Sojourner

Postby Yarthra » Mon Apr 02, 2001 1:34 pm

I saw a few strange ones...
Staryu (pokemon name)
Cattabrie with the last name, yep just like in the drizzt books..
umm... too many to remember..
they would let almost anything through..
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:50 pm

you gotta take everquest in its context. i was very annoyed at first with all the stupid names. but then i figured, hey, if no one cares here, then i dont care either. so i made Glok Nyne, the PK troll!

saitcho
Tagad
Sojourner

Postby Tagad » Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:40 am

Couple small points since I happen to be a rabid EQ player when I'm not working.

1. I'm sure a few items were adapted as others have said as a "Badge of Honor". But get real, there are well over 30,000 items in Everquest not everything is an adaption, in fact with that number there you can probably figure that a VAST majority are not.

2. Names. EQ is a pay for play game. With that in mind realize that EQ is one of the few pay for play MMOGs with a semi enforced naming policy. Its not *nearly* as bad as UO names. I cannot even type the UO names of some of my friends on this board without offending EVERYONE. Secondly, EQ has upwards of 300,000 subscribers. Even with paid customer service representatives I'm sure its next to impossible to weed out all the bad names as they are submited. There were names on Sojourn that didnt belong... however none of the gods had read those particular books or watched those saturday morning cartoons as a child.

3. Developers hating players? Are you guys kidding yourselves? I work in the game industry, developers DO like to talk to players, developers love feedback on their product. Developers thrive on *CONSTRUCTIVE* criticim. Blathering whining is what developers don't enjoy. Blathering whining makes developers withdraw and not want to speak with those who have purchased their product. If any of you doubt my theory on this, you can test it by whining to one of the gods here on Toril and see how long the gods continue to interact.

And thats all I have to say about that.

Tagad Sigil
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:56 am

Actually I said "players hating developers" which is mostly true.

And really, it would take a CSR five minutes of standing in a major town to compile a three-page list of inappropriate names. I think Verant really just doesn't care, and has better things to do than play Name Nazi over 15 servers and 300k users. I don't blame them really.

- Ragorn
Shegal Nerenthiel
Sojourner

Postby Shegal Nerenthiel » Sat Apr 07, 2001 1:02 pm

Actually, there's a ton of stuff that was in Sojourn that is in EQ. I find most of the stats have changed tho.

Azure sleeves used to be a cleric type item if i recall. It's a monk/warrior item on EQ.

Nightshade's are also in EQ.

I don't think there's anything really wrong in adapting a graphical version of the game with different classes, etc. If the sojourn team didn't have the time or want to make a graphic version of the game, you can't blame someone else that saw the potentional and did it.

Sojourn/Toril was a quality game and they saw that. You'd have to be blind not to. EQ is not as quality because it's made for the masses. But it's graphical and that's a big plus. I find most of the trouble with EQ is the playerbase and not the game itself. Most mudders are extremely computer literate and have a good quantum of intelligence to even get connected to a mud, whereas any moron with a decent pc can go buy EQ and connect up for a 10 dollar fee.

Of all the things i miss most about Sojourn/Toril it's the people and the roleplay.

/end rant

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”