Level 50 Specialization

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Level 50 Specialization

Postby Ragorn » Tue Feb 27, 2001 2:15 am

This is in response to the remort discussion. I think this is a more acceptable and rewarding solution than allowing players to remort.

Upon reaching level 50, each class is presented with a list of specialization skills from which they may choose. This is similar to the level 20 spellcast specializations that you used to get to choose from. In some cases, it's VERY similar Image Here is a list of possible specializations, and the classes to which they were apply:

1 handed weapon (War, Ran, Rog): Grants a moderate hit bonus and a small damage bonus to the player while wielding one handed weapons.

2 handed weapon (War, Pal, AP): Same, but applis to two handed weapons.

Bash (War, Pal, AP): Grants the player wider range of bashable mobs. Mobs that may have been too large or too small become bashable at a penalty. Does not affect giants or dragons, forger discretion.

Rescue (Pal, AP): Allows the player to rescue other players without lag.

Bladesinging (Ran, Rog): Allows the player to apply his double attack skill to his offhand weapon. In practice, a Ranger/Rogue would get 4 hits unhasted and 6 hasted.

Archery (Ran): Increases archery damage, decreases stray percentage.

Stealth (Rog, Bar): Lagless sneak and hide.

Legerdemain (Rog, Bar): Increased chance of picking locks, stealing, and disarming traps.

Spellcraft (Ran, Pal, AP): Increases the effectiveness and duration of all spells.

Healing (Cle, Dru, Sha): Increases effectiveness of heal spells.

Protection (Cle, Dru, Sha, Enc, Con): Increases effectiveness of vitality. Longer duration on clerical prots, stoneskin, dragonscales, globe, and other protective spells by class.

Enchantment (Enc, Sha): Increases effectiveness and/or duration of haste, ray of enfeeblement, fly, levitate, power word blind, paralysis, and other non-protective duration spells by class.

Conjuration (Con, Sha): Slight increase of regular pet hit points, small chance to summon a truly awesome elemental or spirit.

Targetted Spells (Inv): Higher damage for single target spells.

Area Effect Spells (Inv): Higher damage for area effect spells (ONLY if areas take a downgrade.. otherwise everyone would just take this).

I did not include pitiful specializations like spec divination or spec transportation or any of that crap. I think that I could make a case for choosing any of these specializations, and with a very few exceptions, none is significantly more powerful than any other option per class. I could definitely see choosing Bladesinging, or 1h proficiency, or archery depending on the focus of my character and the layout of my equipment. I could see the use of a Healing cleric, or a Protection cleric, or a Protection enchanter, or an Enchantment enchanter. It all depends on your personal taste, and specializations allow players to further customize their characters.

Discuss.

- Ragorn
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Feb 27, 2001 4:09 am

I think the spellcaster ones would need to be more interesting than what are basically enhanced versions of the spell specializations. Maybe also have things like quick chant specialization that lets you cast a little bit more quickly.

I also think things like undead slaying and demon slaying could be interesting for paladins.

There could also be some interesting ones restricted by race. For instance, bladesinging would be grey elf only since it's distinctly a surface elf fighting style never taught to any other race under any circumstances for many reasons. There could also be giantslaying for dwarves that gives bonuses to attack and damage and also gives them a chance to hamstring a giant during an attack with an effect similar to bash.

It's definately something that could be interesting since it reflects that at that high level you've probably learned to really master some aspect of your class without the silliness of a class name change and stuff.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:53 am

I actually really like this idea. Its not hard to practically see someone "specializing" in _something_. Some classes have this, why not warriors? shamans? thieves? rangers? shamans? :P
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Mar 03, 2001 7:14 am

*cough*

I'm glad I wrote all that to get no response.

:P

- Ragorn
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Mar 03, 2001 7:35 am

Well, we all have #gag Ragorn on our triggers in our brains Image
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Mar 03, 2001 8:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>*cough*

I'm glad I wrote all that to get no response.

:P

- Ragorn</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone else is used to your long-winded posts. I thought this was pretty short for you.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Mar 11, 2001 8:48 am

Just assume that everyone agrees with you 100% Image
*ruffles & comforts*
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Sun Mar 11, 2001 10:14 pm

Sure, I'd love to specialize in Assassination. It be a fun way to roleplay your classes if you decide to specialize.

Nilan
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Mon Mar 12, 2001 4:38 am

Specialization would rock.

-Z
Zhadow
Sojourner

Postby Zhadow » Mon Mar 12, 2001 5:16 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarell:
<B>Just assume that everyone agrees with you 100% Image
*ruffles & comforts*</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Image on my own opinion everything that ragorn listed are valid specialization for each respected class. I wish i can add some more of my own but ... my brain can't multi task Image maybe when i'm finished with what i'm doing i'll edit this post Image
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Mon Mar 12, 2001 5:56 am

I've always thought that this was a good idea in general, and I will throw my support behind Ragorn's specific ideas as well, for the most part. I do think there should be some reason to get 50th other than a handful more hitpoints and one more 10th spell slot. Soj Staff have said there would be no re-morts in the past, but then there were liches...so maybe if we keep voicing our wants, sometime around the next turn of the century the staff will come around.

Mp
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:26 am

wait....
there aren't two more spells at 50? Just one?
Joth
Sojourner

Postby Joth » Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:42 pm

Ragon nice idea, I just posted about cleric specialization. But again I think the gods should imp this maybe lets see if they respond.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:49 pm

Oi,

Specialization serpinkly has the potential of making grouping more interesting, more tactical, especially for warrior classes. There's a reason shaman and druids don't specialize. They're a little of this and a little of that, and not pure anything. Part healer, part mage, part whaddeva. But it really does make sense that warriors and such should get a specialization of some sort.
Stuff at level 50 was the idea of this thread, I realize. So at level 50, shouldn't one have to roleplay it? What makes one so special at two-handed swords? If they're already a master of two-handed sword combat, what have they done that warrants an extension of that skill? Stories are good, I like stories. Especially ones that involve napping. Or perhaps a staff-run quest type thing?
And racial innates, while also spiffy sounding, wouldna play much of a role, if y'axe me. Methinks racial innates are swell the way they are.

Ok, now off to make myself look stoopid on another thread. Peace out.

-Grungar "I Bent My Wookie" Forgefire
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Mar 17, 2001 10:32 pm

I really like the idea of something special becoming available once you hit lvl 50.

Ever since I started mudding, I always thought there WAS something special that happened. Even if it was some big congratulations message to you ferom your guildmaster triggered by your first visit to him after you hit lvl 50, or something.

Remorts, kept in balance, for lots more class/races than just necro/lich, would be awesome.

Spec might be cool too.

The idea of needing to do an RP story for it sounds cool, as long as the imms keep in mind not everyone is able to write a 10 page masterpiece.

Here's looking forward to seeing ome of these ideas implemented!

On with the hunt..

Mogr.
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:01 am

Personally I´d rather have more prestige classes (e.g. liches).

An example of a prestige class in 3E for warriors is swash buckler. Aside from feat(1) prerequisites, one is encouraged to come up with an RP means by which you learn the class (e.g. captured by pirates, taught the ways of the sea rogue...)

Another prestige class is undead hunter who, among other things, has innate detect undead. In a MUD setting, an undead hunter would be a prestige class for a paladin who, as a result, gains greater effectiveness vs. undead creatures.

Wouldn't you rather have an altered title (e.g. assassin as the prestige class for rogues) than the addition of some marginally perceptible + to hit, or some such?

------
(1) feats are special skills that players select every other level (more or less, depending on class) which enable them to use non-standard weapons, wield more than one weapon, increase their ability to dodge blows, etc. When combined, certain feats comprise a set of prerequisites for the various prestige classes.

[This message has been edited by Ruhr (edited 03-17-2001).]
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:13 am

Ruhr: No, I wouldn't. All those new classes would be a pain to balance since by their nature they would need to be powerful and if you make the wrong choice and choose one that's completely overpowered by another class, you're screwed since it's a one way deal, not to mention that they would also have to avoid making the normal classes useless. So if, for example, a crusader or ravager end up much more useful than a swashbuckler that needs to ditch lots of armor to use their class abilities, then the people that thought that swashbucklers would be neat end up getting screwed.
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Sun Mar 18, 2001 9:09 am

Depends on what your motives are. I'm more interested in the RP aspects of the prestige class(es). Consequently, they wouldn't have to be demi-gods, just unique in some way.

It's just something else to strive for after hitting 50th. Well at any rate, there's zero probabilty of any of this getting coded.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:30 pm

Well, we've discussed the idea of remorting and prestige classes into the ground. Most of the staff and a lot of the players are against the idea for one reason or another. That's why I started this thread in the first place... to throw another option out there for the people who were against prestige classes.

You can roleplay specialization too if that's what your concern is. Make up a story about how you found a wise sage in the depths of Undermountain who was never seen again. I dunno, detail your quest to become the best marksman in all of Faerun. Infinite possibility.

- Ragorn
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:35 pm

You can roleplay specialization too if that's what your concern is. Make up a story about how you found a wise sage in the depths of Undermountain who was never seen again. I dunno, detail your quest to become the best marksman in all of Faerun. Infinite possibility.

I supose, but RP is far more satisfying when accompanied by a physical manifestation of the new knowledge, etc; such as a who list title change from [rogue] to [assassin] .

[This message has been edited by Ruhr (edited 03-18-2001).]
Ruggak
Sojourner

Postby Ruggak » Sun Mar 18, 2001 5:06 pm

That is a great idea for the specialization along the lines of a resent post I put up. But what would be real kewl would be role play specialization. Paladin - Templar rogue - thief, assassin, ect ect or even a quest to get a title like Sir, Lord, Duke, Noble. Heck and possible a King Queen Prince, Princess thing all questable and complete with castle now the quest would of course be hard and involved but damn think of the fun for the 50's and there are a limited abouts of kings and queens ect allowed, just a new twist on guilds and such.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:26 am

I always liked the idea of getting something special at 50.

I used to play Tele-Arena on a MajorBBS before starting on Sojourn and I like the fact you "promoted" your class. Basically a remort. Anyway, you didn't gain anything except some extra stats and hit points.

Even a new nifty title would be cool. Like a warrior becomes a Noble or something.

Anyway, specialization is just one of a myriad of benefits one could garner from hitting 50, I like it. Not that that matters, heh.

Jurdex
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:37 am

Since I have the feel that the reason a number of people want some sort of class change at 50 is for a spanky new title, I'd like to remind everyone that you CAN ALREADY get a unique title at level 50 if you write and submit an RP story for it. Frankly, I'd much rather have a title of my own choosing instead of one that typecasts you (such as archer for rangers or crusdaer for paladins).
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:47 am

Being able to write a roleplay story at level 50 to get a title is kinda neat. But how many people that make level 50 are unguilded?:P Yeah I know thats a choice....I would kinda just like to see maybe some boosting to skills in some way at lvl 50....headbutt increase and less lag on hitall or somethign for warriors...give casters an extra memtimes bonus making them go quicker. somethign little like that Image
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:58 am

Actually for caters it might be nice for them to have a HARD quest so that your 10'th circle spells are !fail. Not unballencing because you dont actually gain anything new but still well worth the effort. Again the quest should be very hard.
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Mon Mar 19, 2001 3:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
But how many people that make level 50 are unguilded?:P </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I would guess a fairly high percentage. Guilds dont' usually aim for xps groups, they usually do zones.
Getting to level 50 isn't really hard at all. Takes patients - and a tiny bit of knowledge of good places for xps.
Infact, Corth was in a guild for a long time... I don't think he ever made it past 47 Image

Trogar HolyAnvil

[This message has been edited by Trogar (edited 03-18-2001).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Mar 19, 2001 5:22 am

If I'm not mistaken, you can override your guild title with a level 50 title if you so desire.

It's not like people who know you won't know what guild you're in Image

- Ragorn
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Mon Mar 19, 2001 5:29 am

yup yup
you bet i would Ruhr. Nilan was and will always be an assassin. Not a generic rogue.
I'll play him as an assassin, I spent years on his roleplay heh so you see why id specialize in Assassination if i had to be a generic rogue Image

Gotta agree with you there Ruhr Image

Nilan

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”