bounty hunting...a different way?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
izarek
Sojourner

bounty hunting...a different way?

Postby izarek » Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:36 pm

In soj2 there was an interesting piece of code added where naughty ppl had bounties placed on their heads by hometowns and we had the chance to chase after them with ropes-a-swingin to bring them in for $$$. Unfortunately, this sometimes led to ill-feelings between the hunter & hunted (understandable, but it *is* a game). Anyhow, I was trying to think of ways to enjoy bounty-hunting without having to deal with those negative sitiations and I was left wondering: Why not have an automated system where unique mobs are placed around toril just to be hunted. An example:

Raevia the ranger goes to the judge in WD to see who is wanted:

Nilan (PC). 25 p for theft.
Nilan (PC). 50 p for murder.
Numbnuts (NPC). 25 p for bribery.
Twiblin (PC). 100 p for being a halfling.
Hrolf (NPC). 50 p for murder

Then, Raevia has the choice of taunting/chasing down PCs, who may or may not be willing to go along with the game, or going after NPCs and not having to piss anyone off.

This could be further enhanced by adding something like:

Hrolf (NPC) 50 p for murder. Last seen near Ice Crag.

Then, Raevia would hafta go explore around there to find Hrolf and capture him.

I think of this kind of thing as being similar to trade code in that its another way to give people something to do besides zoning and exp.

Thoughts?

Izzy
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Tue Feb 27, 2001 1:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by izarek:
<B>Twiblin (PC). 100 p for being a halfling.
Hrolf (NPC). 50 p for murder</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey! It's not your fault you were born inferior to my halfling self! It's obviously common knowledge that leads to such high rewards for capturing a halfing. Everybody wants one.

Never having been captured, what was the punishment like? I can see people being p/o'ed if they were captured and brought in, then had to shell out big bucks for a fine or spend zoning time in the slammer.

I wouldn't mind seeing NPC's to hunt, but it seems like it might be a little easy to snag the cash rewards if you run to the courthouse at boot and then run off to capture the brigand.

Harthorm/Twiblin

[This message has been edited by Harthorm (edited 02-26-2001).]
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Feb 27, 2001 1:50 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Harthorm:
It's obviously common knowledge that leads to such high rewards for capturing a halfing. Everybody wants one. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh. Just like beanie babies, eh? Nah, more like lawn-gnomes!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Harthorm:
<B> I wouldn't mind seeing NPC's to hunt, but it seems like it might be a little easy to snag the cash rewards if you run to the courthouse at boot and then run off to capture the brigand.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure it'd need tweaking, but prolly if the 'last seen at ****' thingie was left out, that'd take care of most twinking.

Izzy
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Tue Feb 27, 2001 4:22 am

I loved the "Justice" code. I had a blast. In fact Nilan made it his mission to murder and to effectively get away with it. *Grin* After all, one must assassinate the Lords and Law of Waterdeep if they are truely tyrannts, right?

My view is if your gonna do the crime, you best not complain about it if your hunted or if you do the time, or in my case give your life. In fact I loved escaping from all you guys that tried roping me or that even got successful enough to rope me and drag me toward my "Execution". heh lets face it, I never got a fine or anything short of a Death Sentence from those corrupt WD "Justice" Crusaders. I just was skilled and lucky enough to Escape before the axe dropped that would end my life.

Aint no way I was gonna die like that.

So i look forward to "justice" err "injustice" again. Lord Piergieron and his knights will be wriggling at the point of my dagger very soon.

Nilan - Assassin of Waterdeep

*accused but never convicted, or caught*

Bountyhunters, you'd better practice more if you want to claim fortune and glory for my head.

Hunt me if you dare *cackle*
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Feb 27, 2001 4:30 am

Huzzah, Nilan! Would that all rogues were as into the chase as you!
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Feb 27, 2001 8:08 am

It would be neat if they did add in some npc's to find. I basically had a who list set up with all the names off the crime list so that when people logged in I could track them down and tie them up. When a person knew that I was hunting them, their usual reaction was go and rent (no fun!). Here's a couple of interesting stories of my hunts.

Once there was a shaman who was wanted for 100 platinum. He was a barbarian and quite strong, so as I chased him around Waterdeep, I had broken five ropes on the fellow. At last, he ran into the priests guild where I couldn't follow. I hid there and waited. A few minutes later the door opened and he slowly walked out, unaware of my presence. I leapt out and broke another rope on him and he went barreling right back inside. At last he starts sending me tells to please leave him alone. I send him tells back about how Lord Piergieron has contracted me to bring you in, a ruthless murdering criminal. At last, he started bribing me and in the end I accepted 100 platinum to forget about him.

One level 50 ranger was always on the crime list, I do believe it was Ragorn. Well, I made it my goal to make that lawless tree-walker know that he was wanted in Waterdeep. Everytime he logged in I was on him like a bad suit, breaking ropes left and right. (He was 8 levels higher than me) I must have broken 100+ ropes on him but never caught him. I seriously think it was impossible, but it was still amusing to be the hunter persuing this wildly fleeing high level ranger.

A barbarian warrior, of which I forgot his name, had quite a bounty on his head and it kept growing. He was not the smartest one, as everytime I caught him, they increased his fine, they released him and he went back to Griffin Road to continue his hunt. Time would pass and the authorities would realize that he didn't pay his fine. That's when I would track him down. I would follow him around for awhile, sneaking and hidden. At last, he would grow weary of fighting and go to sleep. That's when I would rush in and tie him up.
Oh the curses he would fling at me! I'd just silently drag him along. He said that he had friends in high places and they would be angry at me. I just continued to drag that huge barbarian back to town. His story changed. He now has high level friends who would reward me if I let him go. I continue to drag him through the shady smuggler tunnel underground. At last, he just breaks down to cursing. I turn him in to the judge and the judge declares him to be executed. I sit back and watch as people come rushing into the judge's room to watch the fun. A few moments later, the executioner says his bit and asks if he has any last words, and of course he does. "F*** yall!" spewed from his lips as the axe fell, sending the perpetrator's head rolling. A little bit later, much to my pride, the gods echoed 'The executioner wipes his axe clean of blood'.

Bounty hunting was great. I caught dozens of people and in the end, only a couple seemed to hold any sort of grudge. Most of the others seemed to befriend me and I enjoyed their grouping company.

Yayaril, Law of Waterdeep
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Tue Feb 27, 2001 8:57 am

You never caught me Yayaril
and you never will

*cackle*

Nilan
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:22 am

That's a good idea Izzy, I'll think about dat.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Feb 27, 2001 11:04 am

How about letting the one getting captured defend himself?

/Jegzed
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Tue Feb 27, 2001 5:14 pm

Yeah Jegzed, nice idea
Ya dont know how many times i just wanted to backstab all those rope totting justice crusaders, but heck I'd even settled for the ability to knock em out unconscious. Perhaps we criminals can be allowed to do that, on a failed roping attempt. Least give us alil time to flee the scene and wont make it so a guy like Yayaril can grab 100 ropes outta his bag and keep spamming bind. rofl.

A knock out on a failed rope attempt would be a great idea.

Nilan
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Feb 27, 2001 5:21 pm

Flagging the bounty hunters PKILL when attempting to bind somebody would be neat.

I mean, they are effectively pkilling you, or stealing your time.

/Jegzed
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Feb 27, 2001 6:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>

One level 50 ranger was always on the crime list, I do believe it was Ragorn. Well, I made it my goal to make that lawless tree-walker know that he was wanted in Waterdeep. Everytime he logged in I was on him like a bad suit, breaking ropes left and right. (He was 8 levels higher than me) I must have broken 100+ ropes on him but never caught him. I seriously think it was impossible, but it was still amusing to be the hunter persuing this wildly fleeing high level ranger.

Yayaril, Law of Waterdeep</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe. How's that for irony. Its usually the ranger hunting the thief. ROFL!

Izzy
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Feb 27, 2001 6:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B>Flagging the bounty hunters PKILL when attempting to bind somebody would be neat.

I mean, they are effectively pkilling you, or stealing your time.

/Jegzed</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I do see your point that rogues being captured should have a chance to defend themselves, my guess would be that pkill would be too messy to implement. I mean, there are reasons the gods aren't adding in pkill. My guess is that the breaking of ropes and unbinding and such signify the struggle between the hunter and hunted. Anyhow, an alternative, if nothing like that was added, would be for you to challenge your captor to a fight in the arena.

I understand why someone who's, say, a high lvl rogue thats in a zone group wouldn't wanna be bothered by a bored, pesky mid-level ranger looking for some sport and coin by bringing them in for justice. Although, some will point out that thats an inherent risk in playing a rogue, it still can detract from your own personal enjoyment of the game. That's why I made this suggestion and I hope it works out such that justice & bounty hunting can be enjoyed without interfering in the lives of others unnecessarily.

Izzy
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Feb 27, 2001 6:15 pm

Alright, since I quit before Justice was finished(I assume that's when bounty hunting went in)... Clear up some details for me. Did we, the players, have the option of not participating in this bounty hunting? If we did break a law, and commit a crime(I dunno about you guys, but I was never really into role-playing, except where the situation required it, I liked to just play and have fun), could we opt to not be pestered by the RP'ing folks?

Personally, I would find it very annoying to be hunted when I come on to have fun. If I was a RP'ing person, like most above me have posted here, I wouldn't mind. But to be quite honest, if I am -required- to participate in PC 'bounty hunts', I might reconsider playing. I killed good mobs. I killed town mobs. I was neutral. I don't want to be hunted. It ruins my fun. If some overzealous hunter persued me into a zone and got my group killed because of that...

Well you see where this is running. My point is simple.. If I don't want to participate in this, because I don't view it as fun, am I forced to? I understand and commend the folks that do have fun with it, and encourage you to do what you enjoy. Don't misunderstand that.

Mal
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Feb 27, 2001 6:39 pm

Malacar, yes, you are forced to. Otherwise probably only Nilan would be the one with a bounty on his head. It was still possible to kill the mobs in town. You just had to do it with no witnesses. People still managed to kill lighthouse elites after justice was in. It basically just kept you from going around and slaughtering peasants and stuff at lower levels, though if you were caught when you were low level you were let off with warnings I think.

As far as defending yourself from a bounty hunter goes, I think some form of subdual combat could be interesting. Basically it doesn't do any hit point damage but maybe does damage to movement instead. And once you lose a certain amount (don't want to make you have to completely deplete movement or guys like me that stack on enough +mv gear when traveling to never even need a horse would be nightmares =) you wind up stunned. Then the hunter could tie up the winded victim or the hunted could escape the tired hunter.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Feb 27, 2001 7:57 pm

We're aware that many people did not like the bounty hunting system, and wokring on a way to make everyone happy - those that like participating in it, and those that don't.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Feb 27, 2001 8:43 pm

Thanks for the update, guys. And thanks for lettin me know that, Shev.. Renews my enthusiasm somewhat.

Mal
Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc
Sojourner

Postby Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc » Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:33 pm

Hey! i didnt see my name on that list!!

i loved the justice code as it was. but then, i was only judged once... sure, it ended in an execution but thats not a big deal. forget hunting NPCs, come after me! i dare ya! (just let me get my unbind skill up a bit first ;)

Second most wanted man in Waterdeep,
Cir
(550p was the price on my head, last i checked :P)
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Wed Feb 28, 2001 4:02 am

Laugh Cirath, you're slipping, butcher!
Heh they executed you did they? Good. A fitting end for a sadistic killer such as yourself.

As far as Ragorn goes, Id just like to say both he and I were accused of Murder I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, Ragorn. We came up for sentencing and that bloody corrupt Judge, fines the dang ranger 200 plat. He looks at me, and says "Nilan, for your crimes, you are sentenced to death, Execution to be carried out in 3 hours (3 mins game time). Well I stuggled in those bonds and finally managed to escape before the axe fell. So theres Justice for you. Or better yet "injustice"!!!

Waterdeep Tyrants. *spit*

I plan on assassinating the lot of them. Waterdeep shall be under my control once again. So Bountyhunters beware if its my head you seek to profit from.

As always, I'll give you a run to make your efforts worth it *grin*

Nilan

Bane of Waterdeep, accused but never convicted
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Wed Feb 28, 2001 5:40 am

Shev,

here's a suggestion:

Make only players with the (RP) flag toggled susceptible to bounty hunter rope binding. That way people who, like malacar, are just on to play, not to be chased by someone with a rope, won't have their time wasted.

Treladian: subdual damage does involve hit points. it works like this:

When the number of subdual damage points exceeds that players hitpoints, then they are rendered unconscious.

Example:

Say Nilan is sneaking through WD and a bounty hunter attempts to subdue him. Nilan, at least under the old system, had woefully inadequate hit points (say 350), so the hunter would only have to do 351 points of subdual damage (perhaps by grappling, or with a cugel or sap) to put him to sleep--not an easy feat with a rogue, unless you bodyslam/bash him first.
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Wed Feb 28, 2001 5:49 am

Hmmm, I've been thinking (owww)... I think the easiest solution would be for those people who don't want to be chased for their crimes is not to commit any... or at least make sure there's no witnesses.

What's the point of having justice code if you can circumvent it by toggling RP? PPL who didn't want to pay the price would just walk around with the toggle on all the time, or turn it on after a failed bind attempt.

There are plenty of areas everybody can go for exp. and mob killing in general that don't involve town or other justice areas. If you don't want to be bothered by justice, don't bother it Image

Now, I still think it's a good idea to have NPC mobs to bounty hunt in the game, because it gives those of us who wish to be bounty hunters or earn a little extra cash something to do without bothering real players.

As for the criminals, watch yourselves and pay the consequences if you have to Image I believe that's the true spirit behind the justice code.

Harthorm/Twiblin

PS. Just a thought, and a little off topic, but does CHA effect your sentence/fine? It should... especially for little hairy halflings... hungry ones.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Feb 28, 2001 6:49 am

I didn't hunt assassins. My rp rule was that I was loyal to my fellow backstabbers. However, maybe I should have chased Nilan around and broke ropes on him just to inflate his ego even more...

Yayaril
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Wed Feb 28, 2001 8:50 am

laugh yayaril

you mean there was loyalty among us killers ?

I'm honored then. *bow*
though forgive me if we don't shake hands or if i dont turn my back, ol friend

Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc
Sojourner

Postby Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc » Wed Feb 28, 2001 9:05 am

"I didn't hunt assassins. My rp rule was that I was loyal to my fellow backstabbers"

and its a good thing to when i think of the multitude of chances you had to drag my ass in :)

Cirath tells you, "wanna help me practice unbind?"
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Feb 28, 2001 6:22 pm

Ruhr: Yeah, I'm familiar with the D&D rules for subdual damage. I don't think it should work exactly like that on the mud though for a variety of reasons. For one thing, it takes too long to take out anything without a nasty con penalty that way. I'd rather have it be more quick to keep the frantic feel of bounty hunting. I also think it's a bad idea to actually knock out another character, only stun him for a bit since otherwise there could be abuse where some jerk knocks out another player and leaves them in an area full of aggro mobs.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Feb 28, 2001 7:36 pm

Yeah, shaking wouldn't be good, since I glued my poisoned dagger to my hand to avoid fumbles.

Cirath says, 'Yea, another skill raise.'

<waits awhile>

Cirath says, 'Ugh, can you untie me, I can't get out!?'

Yayaril
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:10 pm

A bounty hunter should have some 'warrent' to indicate he is empowered to capture a miscreant. If the target subdues the hunter, he destroys the warrent, and the hunter has to go back to the magistrate for a new warrent. Perhaps make it so that warrents can only be obtained once a mud week or something.

Eilorn.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:31 pm

Err.. first, only real lawmen have to worry about warrants. Second, I'm pretty sure they weren't invented yet back when knights and daggers were still popular. Image

I like the idea of subdual though. Makes it a bit more realistic than throwing a rope at Nilan and hoping he ties himself up. Image Only problem is most rogue types can easily just escape any kind of combat with their escape skill, even non-rogues could constantly flee...

Perhaps... making it unarmed combat, you could tackle him to the ground and try to beat him senseless, then he'd have a really hard time fleeing. But he'd just as likely knock you out and you wouldn't be able to go after him for a while.

As for leaving someone in a room with aggroes, I believe that was a problem even with the old bounty hunting system. Perhaps something in code that flags a room as dangerous, and it won't allow you to drag someone into it. Give a message like "It wouldn't be a good idea to drag Nilan in there, you'd probably lose your bounty to that hungry dragon." Image

As for participation... we could just go on some sort of honor system. If someone has their RP flag on they are fair game for bounty hunters, otherwise leave them alone so as not to ruin their day. Image

Sarvis
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Mar 20, 2001 1:41 am

honestly, justice was quite annoying. At first it was novel and fun, but I believe that by pitting player against player instead of player against mob, justice brought some of the cons of Pkill to Sojourn. After all, all it takes is for my groupmate to attack some mob, the mob to kick at me, and now I am a wanted murderer in WD. Ugh. All in all I didn't mind the RP aspects of it, but I did think the penalty of execution was rather harsh, and the fact that certain crimes weren't your fault also made it unpleasant.

- Moritheil, wanted for the heartless murder of a 12 hit point air elemental.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Mar 20, 2001 3:56 pm

Hehee, you became wanted for killing an air elemental? That's funny!

Moritheil says, 'But it was only non-human being from the plane of air!'

The judge says, 'I'll have you know that that air elemental was my brother!'

Yayaril
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Mar 20, 2001 5:12 pm

In your defence, I always thought that guy was full of hot air.
Iaiken
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken » Wed Mar 21, 2001 2:58 pm

Hey Nilan,

Remember my trying to talk you out of your evil ways? (Must have been there for at least an hour...) "But Nilan, the taking of a life is the most intimately evil act any person can commit against another person. You should turn yourself in, I'll even plea for a heavy fine, then you can start with a clean slate."

Then that stupid dwarven merchant walked in and tried to bind you...sending you fleeing into the night...

Stupid disguised thieves...have they no honour or respect for my ways? I had almost turned him, almost...

Man I loved being flagged as RP...

Iaiken, Paladin of Torm.

"Run Nilan Run! We'll finish this discussion later."
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Sat Mar 24, 2001 1:27 am

The bounty system rocked and added another fantastic dimension to Sojourn. It didn't need tweaking. If you don't want to participate don't kill or be caught kiling in town.

Azz-PSIs know best.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Mar 24, 2001 4:13 am

I certainly enjoyed it. *Most* people I caught didn't hold a grudge and many of them went on to become my ally.

Yayaril
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Apr 03, 2001 12:00 am

Any updates on my original topic?

Izzy, most hated man in WD lol
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:58 am

I dunno if this was posted in here somewhere and I am too lazy to read it all.

The most annoying thing about Justice is the final penalty. Death, fines, time in jail. For minor transgressions you have to pay plat. Which isn't that bad. Slightly worse stuff earns you time in the slammer...which is the most harsh form of punishment. Death....once we get a few ressers skulking about this is not a problem at all.

Even though it may not fit the roleplay enviornment I'd say make staying tons of time in jail the penalty for more crimes...or at least let yourself have the option of asking for the headsman's axe. That way Nilan and his friends could stay their time and try to escape, while the rest of us can just forfiet the exp and watch our head roll.

------------------
-------------------------
Gormal FaCtOr!
Gormal Stoneforge
Kildran T'sarith
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:58 am

Just one question for you, Gormal: how does one watch his own head roll?

Yayaril
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Apr 03, 2001 8:11 pm

Hmm, I suppose that if someone beheads you nicely, your head will go rollign along the ground, and before death kicks in, your brain will still be registering everything you can see for a while. Just a guess though.

Any MDs in the house who can confirm this? Can you still move your eyes around for a while if you have been beheaded, even if it be for half a minute or so?

Cherzra the morbid
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:06 pm

Ok, I think I've figured out how one could watch their own head roll.

First, set up a huge mirror in the place where you're going to fight.

Second, cut off the person's head so that it rolls in a way that the person's face is towards the mirror.

Assuming that for a moment, there's enough blood in the head to sustain conscious thought, the person should see their own head rolling..

Yayaril
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Apr 04, 2001 10:34 pm

Actually, experiments (involving condemned prisoners) have shown that the brain is alive for up to 30 seconds after someone is beheaded. So you'd be able to see a fleeting glimpse of your body above you.

30 Seconds does sound awful long, but I believe that was the maximum that the brain was alive... not the max consciousness even, and probably not the norm.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:24 pm

Yeah, but it still doesn't change the fact that your eyes cannot view your own head without leaving their sockets or with the aid of a reflective surface.. :P

Yayaril
Avidus
Sojourner

Postby Avidus » Fri Apr 06, 2001 4:32 pm

Just something to think about...

We do have a good vs evil type of world/theme happening here? so wouldnt the forces of evil want to promote outlaw behavior in good alignment towns? or good want to maybe help defector types in evil aligned towns?

How about bounties being placed on good town bounty hunters by evil town justice systems, or maybe by thieves guilds or something. That can make the hunter easly the hunted. You want to be a bounty hunter, you take the same risks as the hunted. People that obey the law can stay out of the conflict. But people that earn reputations in the justice system will have to live with them.

A thieves guild that has a bounty hunter interupting their business isnt going to just let that happen any more than the law will allow criminal behavior.

Anyway these are just thoughts...there may be a way of balancing things out. This is my first post EVER so be kind in criticism, and open in ideas Image

------------------
A thousand Osham game hens lie dead at my feet, my diety is pleased in my progress.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Apr 07, 2001 2:35 am

Interesting idea. From the thieves guild's standpoint, a bounty hunter is a great boon. This person will weed out all of their terrible thieves. What thieves guild wants thieves that always gets caught? I think the thieves guild should give the bounty hunter money.

Yayaril
Avidus
Sojourner

Postby Avidus » Mon Apr 09, 2001 7:09 pm

Im thinking that its a better way to balance out the bounty hunter stuff if you have a way to put a bounty on the hunter. Some evil aligned town will probably put a price on the head of a good aligned bounty hunter.

What price do you think any evil town has on the head of Lord P? bring in Waterdeeps Lord and we will reward you ?????P Now that would be a sight to behold.

Now if your a bounty hunter with a serious reputation...certain towns may want you out of the way. It would give people of unlawful character the chance to RP and take down lawful bounty hunters. I think its a fun idea!

Again, these are just ideas. Let me know what you all think Image
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon Apr 09, 2001 7:20 pm

Adding to the inane conversation Image
Actually supposedly eyes lose focus immediately after beheading, and your brain ceases to function very shortly after that (nowhere near 30 sec). Thought might be maintained for something like 5 seconds.
Belleshel

There was an hour long show on the the guillotine on discovery or tlc last week Image
Pretty intresting stuff.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Apr 09, 2001 9:59 pm

Avidus, why would the folk in Bloodstone care if some bounty hunter was catching criminals in Waterdeep? Would the evil towns even know about this, besides the stories told? Will the people of Menzobberanzan put a bounty on the head of a human in Waterdeep for catching criminals there. It doesn't make sense that evil towns would place a bounty on someone who doesn't even effect them.

Yayaril
Avidus
Sojourner

Postby Avidus » Wed Apr 11, 2001 12:34 am

My point was that, say your the guy that runs an evil town, and you probably have your fingers in the criminal market, which may rely on the smuggeling of illegal goods into some other town that has strict laws against those type of goods? Now if some bounty hunter is bringing in all your smugglers and the routes arent being finished, and profit isnt being made...well... You will put a hit out on the guy thats causing all your problems. Its organized crime and corrupt officials, and if certain towns are opposing one another, or are at war with one another, then I can easly see a reward being offered for an upholder of the enemys laws.

I think its more of a reputation issue, and from a role-playing stand point it would be interesting to see the laws being upheld by players (Justice) and the criminal business being upheld also (hehe, like mafia code or such Image). Its kinda mafia like in a way. It gives those that dont want to play the lawful type a chance to play as evil and criminal as they like and enjoy it.

And a reminder....as I sad in my initial post, these are just IDEAS, and to be KIND in criticism, and OPEN in ideas. Even if its not perfect, its generated creativity, and creativity is what gives life to a MUD. So remember that my ideas are given with the benevolent intention of enhancing the mud for all players, and not something to open myself up to being made to feel stupid.

Kindness and smiles to everyone....
Av.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Apr 11, 2001 1:38 am

Avidus, that would imply that the people being caught are smugglers or members of a big crime organization. We're catching inhabitants of a city that are committing murders or skipping out on fines with bounty hunting, not members of the Zhentarim, Shadow Thieves, or Red Wizards of Thay. Those we tend to just kill when we bump into them in mob form =p

An interesting idea, but it doesn't fit in with justice as its implemented in the mud and the FR theme.
Zhadrak/Dharag
Sojourner

Postby Zhadrak/Dharag » Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:24 am

well, i think Avidus idea sounds like a blast. Of course the Criminal elements in a city will se pontential dangers to their organization in bounty hunters, and pherhaps put out a reward for bringin them before them so they can take care of the problem..
pherhaps give this future to a player rogue guild.
So they can put out rewards for bringing in bounty hunters that goes after their members.
as it is now, its no way to fight back a bounty hunter exept runnin. I would love to be hunted by those rogues i am tryin to bring in, or the other way around if i decide to go rogue

well well, just my idea
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 11, 2001 1:54 pm

That would be cool Avidus if there were any players who were doing smuggling and that's why they were criminals. Most of the criminals are those folks who saw a street cleaner and decided it would be fun to pop him off.

Yayaril

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”