Universal guild master

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
namatoki
Sojourner

Universal guild master

Postby namatoki » Wed Apr 11, 2001 1:04 pm

Is there any way we could have a universal guild master in every home town? I really like the fact that the GH warrior guild master can teach everyone skills. For example, if a shaman or illithid goes to DK, there is no guild master there to teach them. So the shaman has to either go to Faang or BG to practice and the squid has to go back to Ix to practice. Very annoying. Just a thought...

Nizrath
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Apr 11, 2001 1:05 pm

No big deal to walk back imho, you will gladly to it if you can get new spells that way Image
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Wed Apr 11, 2001 4:59 pm

Hrmm. for illithids there is a guild in D/K. If i remember correctly. yep, unless i'm FUBAR'd there is a guild teacher for illithids in DK.

az
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Wed Apr 11, 2001 5:10 pm

Hmmm... Well, I took a squid to DK and went to every guild master in town and all returned the same message: You cannot practice here! I guess I'll look around again, but I didn't find him. Also, I took a shaman around the entire town and didn't find one that teaches them either.

Nizrath
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:50 pm

I think squids can practice in VT. If im not tottaly mistaken I think every class can prac in VT (since thats where OC's used to be sent to and OC's could take on almost every class kinda makes sense)
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:49 am

Hrmm. I believe it was the invoker teacher. It may have changed though, or i could be mistaken.

Gluck
Az
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Thu Apr 12, 2001 4:10 am

Well, Azz, I guess I need to petition that since the mage guild master does not teach squids. I have asked a few other people who have played squids and taken them to DK and all have said that the mage guild master did indeed teach them.

Nizrath
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Thu Apr 12, 2001 5:54 pm

I've been thinking about the guild master proposal and I really do think that all hometowns should be able to teach all classes even those that aren't natural to the race. It is a huge waste of time to have to run to your own hometown to practice your new skills. I hope the imms really reconsider making it available to let all classes practice in all hometowns. My thoughts...

Nizrath
Me
Sojourner

Postby Me » Thu Apr 12, 2001 6:31 pm

I am strongly against this idea. Having everyone teach anyone just cheapens the whole thing.

Sure, it might make it easier on some people, but really. How hard is it to walk back to your nearest guild every so often.

'Sides, this idea would even FURTHER reduce traffic to the out of the way towns, because players would have no need to go there (Eg; one of the only reasons anyone went to Bloodstone in the past was for a necro to scribe new spells, or if an ap/necro died). Add "universal guild masters", and you might as well just go ahead and remove the city.

A "huge waste of time" maybe, but adding this would just further water down the game into a vanilla pile of sludge. Or something like that.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Thu Apr 12, 2001 6:53 pm

I disagree. I think that allowing players to roam to different cities adds more variety to the game. But the problem I have is that just about every race/class can already learn at almost every home town, it is the unique classes that are at a disadvantage. From an evil view point, squids and shaman who travel to DK cannot learn new skills. But the warriors, rogues, mages, and clerics can. Why do we have to single out illithids and shaman? If you look at WD, all goodie classes can practice there (unless antis and necros can't which in that case I think they should since they can be allowed into the city). Already several classes can learn in various home towns, so please allow illithids and shaman to do the same.

Nizrath
Me
Sojourner

Postby Me » Thu Apr 12, 2001 7:26 pm

You're right -- I would be much happier if there were fewer guilds overall. I would be thrilled if master warriors, rogues, and mage teachers weren't a dime a dozen and available on every corner. Each of these classes is missing out.

However, making guilds *more* available just isn't the way to go, as I outlined previously.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Thu Apr 12, 2001 10:15 pm

Well, if we go the other way then, why not make it so all players have to go to their hometown to practice? Then the roads will be used and no city will be unused. Well, then, I seriously doubt players will want to go to other cities to start grouping. Do you really want to run your barbarian all the way down to WD, gain a couple of lvls, then run all the way back to GN to practice? This will hamper different races from grouping together. I thought that we were trying to make a more player friendly mud, not make things like practicing skills so tedious.

As for the not leaving hometowns point, isn't that the reason why trophy exists? Isn't that enough reason to make you leave hometowns? Plus there are pieces of eq that are unique to a single location (such as BS which I've seen several trolls visit) which also encourages people to roam.

Nizrath
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Apr 13, 2001 6:20 am

Let everyone sit in WD if they want to. I'll roam CP, BS and the whole slew of evil hometowns and laugh at people who can't find their way to TP.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”