Upgrade low lvl cleric healing

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
namatoki
Sojourner

Upgrade low lvl cleric healing

Postby namatoki » Thu Apr 12, 2001 4:16 am

After speaking with several players who play clerics, I have found that the low lvl healing spells (cure light, cure serious, and cure crit) really need to do a bit more healing. Is it so imbalancing to have cure light do, oh, say 15-20 hps while serious does double that and crit does double the serious (or maybe just triple light)? Most players agree that curing 5 hps just isn't worth the 28 or so sec mem time. What do all you other clerics out there think?
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Apr 12, 2001 5:14 am

In third edition, cure light does 1d8+lvl up to +5. Cure serious did 2d8+lvl up to +10. Cure critical did 3d8+lvl up to +15. Perhaps Sojourn could do the same and give a little bonus to these spells. It does stink when cure light yields a 1 hp gain. Clerics at these low levels don't heal very effectively.

Yayaril
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Apr 12, 2001 6:16 am

Clerics are useless until they get heal, at level whatever. All those other small healing spells don't do dick and aren't worth memming. 30hp and 70hp wouldn't hurt instead of the 5 or 13hp they heal now. It must be so very, very depressing for people who play a cleric to finally get level 11 or whatever, and think "at last! I can do some healing!"... then find out they need 40 seconds to mem a spell which heals 6hp Image

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 04-12-2001).]
imp
Sojourner

Postby imp » Thu Apr 12, 2001 7:15 am

The few Ogre tanks out there are prolly happy even for cure light when playing troll tho nothin less than heal is much use.

/Bogra
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Thu Apr 12, 2001 8:30 am

AMEN!!!

you cast all of your 5 cure lights and your 3 cure serious, and the tank has gained 20 hps, then you have a 179 sec pray .. with PERFECT wis!!!

hell the trolls regen faster than i can heal them up!!!

-Karikhann/Eliandara
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Apr 12, 2001 11:54 am

I have to agree with this suggestion also.

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
Jols
Sojourner

Postby Jols » Thu Apr 12, 2001 1:21 pm

I have to agree with everything said. I play a cleric and it sucks when you are basically a hitter until lvl 21 when you can actually do some healing. I think those three lower cures should actually amount for the time it takes to pray them.

Jols
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Thu Apr 12, 2001 4:05 pm

Hmm, Yeah I think low level cure spells do way to little. Cure serious I think is the one that needs a little upping. Cure critic though seems to be good. When I was with gwubi his cure critics would heal my 160 points of damage no problem. (maybe he tossed a few cure seriouses i there). On the other hand it would be a bit unballencing if at level 5 cure light did an average of 9 hp's healing (ie 1d8+5) that would mean a level 5 cleric could heal 45 hp's when most warriors only have about 90 total. Sure cure light is worthless after level 16 but then again would you want your invoker to be using burning hands to deal damage when at level 25?
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Apr 12, 2001 5:16 pm

Sure Tilandal, spells do get outdated, but they're still there when you're higher level. I know I saw plenty of 25+ invokers still using magic missile. Why shouldn't a level 5 cleric be able to effectively heal a level 5 warrior?

Yayaril
Lokke
Sojourner

Postby Lokke » Thu Apr 12, 2001 5:27 pm

Wow, its soooo funny hearing some of these. I remember in the day playing that cleric and people complained that I memed causes instead of cures. And I explained to them, you would rather me sit on my ass the whole damn time while you get damage exp all over the place for hours while I pretend to actually cure you of your in-grown toenail because the mob stepped on your foot? Because that is all the cure lights/serious/crits are worth doing.

Woot to baby cure spells of uselessness.

Lokke
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Thu Apr 12, 2001 6:36 pm

Hello people, Zalnog here. Just using my bro's account for now.

This was actually my complaint, as most people know I play drow cleric. I suppose some classes do have their "useless" spells, but for a cleric to have his/her only healing (the purpose of a cleric) until 21 be considered "useless" is ridiculous. And it is ridiculous, when sitting around has the same effect as at least two of these spells. Either these cure spells need to have a lower mem time, or these spells should cure in the ranges of 10-15, 25-30, 40-50. The damage cured by these spells (at least from my experience as a cleric) ranges from 2-5, 6-18, 15-30. These pathetic numbers indicate why anyone would consider these spells "useless" in combat, as well as for after combat healing.

If someone can actually justify as to why these spells shouldn't be upgraded, I'll eat my words and go back to quietly playing a cleric. Otherwise, I'd like to see some actions from the imms on this matter.

Until then, I'm going to be rolling for mighty dex as that's the only way I'll be somewhat useful for the first 20 levels.

[This message has been edited by namatoki (edited 04-12-2001).]
Calladore
Sojourner

Postby Calladore » Thu Apr 12, 2001 8:43 pm

I really hope the IMMs will take this
issue up and do something, it can't
possibly take long to do, and would make
clerics actually HEALERS Image At least before 21. As it stands right now, we are pathetic
single attack pounders.
Joth
Sojourner

Postby Joth » Fri Apr 13, 2001 6:50 pm

I think what was stated before is cool. like cure lights doing 1d8 +5 being an ave of 9. And cure serious doing 2d10 +10 doing an ave of 20, and then finally cure critical doing like 4d12 +20 doing an aveage of 44. So basicly each rank doubles the spell then heal will do little more then double of cure critical.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Apr 16, 2001 12:32 am

agrees!
Is escpecially funny when you are soloing and you are a healer but you sleep instead of using healing spells hehe.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Apr 16, 2001 3:54 pm

Yes, I agre with Joth's post.
It sounds like a resonable amount to me.

The way it currently is, cure spells are almost useless until clerics get heal. My cure crits do 30 if I'm lucky, and I sometimes get a whopping 14hps out of them. Cure serious is a waste, and cure light.. don't even bother meming it.

The reverse of those spells however seems to do the appropriate damage.. cause light doind 10+hps, cause serious around 20ish, and cause crit doing around 40.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”