Gift to Newbies

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Tyren
Sojourner

Gift to Newbies

Postby Tyren » Tue May 08, 2001 3:51 pm

Would it be possible to put some food on all the newbie animal mobs (that it makes sense for)? Bears, hares, caribou (although I think they might already have it), and all the rest.

Perhaps modify the ranger's <forage> skill so that they can skin and get meat from a recent animal kill?

Just an idea.
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Wed May 09, 2001 3:21 pm

I disagree, There is plenty of food in the game.

Tay
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed May 09, 2001 3:29 pm

But there is no food in the newbie zone. And people can go through their three morsels of food long before they can reach level 4 while staying in the newbie zone.

Nokie Quickfingers!
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed May 09, 2001 3:33 pm

OOhhhh heres a better idea, lets make the skill for goodie elven rangers named Tyren only, that way Tyren won't have any trouble in those long arduous levels before he is able to purchase food from a store. i.e levels one through three. If this is implemented everyone named Tyren who is an elven ranger can have fun!

I have never had any trouble finding food either from certain mobs or from a store. Remember that not all stores have the same items for the same price, and you don't always have to eat iron rations.

Rausrh (who is feeling bitter this morning) licks you.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed May 09, 2001 3:41 pm

Err... I haven't purchased food in the last 8 levels Raursh. The skill you are describing is called forage, it's a ranger innate. I think Tyren was talking about stuff for non-rangers... :shrug:

Sarvis
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Wed May 09, 2001 3:55 pm

Often when I'm out at the bars I'll ask women if they have an extra iron ration, it's a great conversation starter. You should try it. Image

Seriously have you ran out of food and asked someone in the room with you for a ration and been told NO, you can't have any.
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Wed May 09, 2001 5:13 pm

You can eat the Glowing Balls of Fungus Nokie :P

They give you a glowing, warm tummy feel
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Fri May 11, 2001 7:57 am

come one guys, he got a valid point here. You start with mybe 2 meals as a newbie. And it took me till lvl 2 before I had the cash to buy food, 3 silver for a ration is a lot when animals don't give you cash. And often new players are "afraid" to ask for some help, or nobody nearby to help. I think players below lvl 3 should not be subject to the food/drink code. It does not matter that much, but gives them a fair chance. Or start with 10 silver as starting cash?

greetings,

Silvea

ps : don't start to flame people becouse you don't got a thing to say and try to make them look rediculous.
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Fri May 11, 2001 3:06 pm

Agreed, Silvea.

One more point -- why in the world should my newbie flask *poof* when it's empty?! Isn't it tough enough without THAT little poke in the eye?

.xyd
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri May 11, 2001 6:26 pm

I'll agree with Silvea, maybe just 1 g starting cash. I know it sounds trivial to most of ya'll, but thats because you know how to level on the MUD, know where to buy food at a reasonable price, and know that people are willing to share.

The newbie to the MUD knows none of these things.

------------------

Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Fri May 11, 2001 6:31 pm

I agree with some points here, but I can see that giving cash to newbies is not going to be implemented. Why? Because people would roll up chars for the cash. Seriously.

I just want to mention that if you do indeed explore the newbie zone a bit, there are the yellow balls of fungus that are lit and food. However, they are heavy as all heck. As a drow, you can get about 2.5 meals out of one ball. As for the newbie food you start with, I think you get about 1.25 meals out of it (worse for ogres since eating all of the newbie food still does not satisfy). I think the balls of food should be a bit lighter in weight and all should be fine.

My 2 silvers worth.

Nizrath
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri May 11, 2001 6:35 pm

Its also not immediately obvious that those balls are edible.

------------------

Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri May 11, 2001 9:07 pm

If you examine the balls they say in the description that they "look like they might be quite tasty" or something like that...

I think anyways, I was blessed with a hometown that, while continuing to kill me when i try to leave well into my 40s, does provide me with copious amounts of raw meat.

Rausrh licks you.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sat May 12, 2001 1:53 am

::amused smile:: true, but it only shows that when you examine them. Most newbies won't know that.

A better thing to call it would be:
"an edible glowing ball of fungus"

------------------

silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Mon May 14, 2001 7:52 am

hi again,

I'm not so afraid of people abusing the 10 silver, a lot of exp players know how they fast can get cash (1 kill at lvl 1 and you can get more), its barly enough to buy 3 rations and a lot of work for thoes 10 silver, character made and rolled, walk it to an inn to switch cash, etc (in this time I could have killed something I think).

10 silver won't cut the deal, but helps new players a lot. Just don't give them gold or plat, becouse that could get abused. If needed 100 copper would also be fine....

greetings,

Almile
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Mon May 14, 2001 3:05 pm

First of all, no one is flaming anyone.

Secondly, Sojourn is a harder than average mud to play. The fact they even put in a newbie zone surprizes me. If this was the first time I ever played sojourn, and saw a glowing ball of fungus in my path, I would probably poke it with a stick, IE: look at it, exa it, whatever. If you've ever played *any* strategy game, the first order of priorities should be securing resources to survive. On to the gold at start up. If your first priority of getting food is not readily apparent the first time you get hungry, I garuntee you they will not spend any cash on food, and will wind up broke shouting for food again with a leather collar around their neck.

Hence, I disagree, there is plenty of food in the game.

Tay
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Mon May 14, 2001 4:15 pm

I'll admit it, the first time I saw a ball of fungus I con'd it, then i examined it.

Rausrh licks you.
Faerlien
Sojourner

Postby Faerlien » Mon May 14, 2001 6:19 pm

How about just making the food you start with more filling, so you still only get 4 pieces of food, but they are as filling or even more filling then the fungus balls.
Valeos/Dorac
Sojourner

Postby Valeos/Dorac » Mon May 14, 2001 9:55 pm

heh yeah first time i ate my newbie food it took 3 and a half to fill me and then i was stuck with half a ration
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon May 14, 2001 11:52 pm

100 coppers would probobly be the best solution, just because most people *discard* at least that in the course of a single exp run.

Make it explicit in a newbie introduction: "you have been given 4 meals for your enjoyment. Additional meals may be purchased in the store"

------------------

Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon May 14, 2001 11:53 pm

Making the food more filling is also an excellent solution: make those 4 pieces equivilent to 8 full, hungry->sated meals.

------------------

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”