rescue

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Kyos
Sojourner

rescue

Postby Kyos » Sun May 20, 2001 6:23 am

Make a small lag after each rescue, even the
failed ones. Then no one can make silly rescue triggers or dumb rescue macros.

It would make the edge between a good warrior and a bad (newbie) much sharper. Which is fun.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun May 20, 2001 6:44 am

:bonk Kyos: Not really... and not really. Image Triggers can prolly be easily timed to account for any lag time you add. Besides, there is nothing wrong with using macros to rescue... specially considering the names some gnomes have, or snakes if yer an evil. Image Those names are just impossible to type... and there is already some lag, 1 rounds worth actually, which is only one round less than most other skills.

Sarvis
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun May 20, 2001 10:32 am

Have you ever been to a really high level zone? Or played a warrior? Oh yeah, let's add more lag to a failed rescue. Hello? There is already lag if you fail a rescue. Want to make it more? As if at 2nd gatehouse you will be able to see who is switched to, with 3 switches a round. The casters would love it! EVERY CASTER WOULD DIE. Great idea.
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Sun May 20, 2001 3:00 pm

Yeah i have played warriors, probobly more of them to level 50 before you were wetting your diapers :P

So, how do you do your rescues now? hit F1 a couple times and hope for the best? Bah.

Freaking newbies.
Kelsiria
Sojourner

Postby Kelsiria » Sun May 20, 2001 5:09 pm

Such anger, such hatred. Thank god I've never been a warrior! I've got brains! :P

Kelsi
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun May 20, 2001 5:32 pm

And what do you do? Type out Gindipoboblopop? Caster would be dead before you got halfway through his name... heh. I often use macros for rescue (F1-F4) but I never just spam them because you never know when you'll need to do something else. If I spam 5 rescues and then Vigis makes his first rescue I'm lagged for 4 rounds just waiting to have my weapon scavenged, or be unable to flee since Vigis would just get creamed. In short, yes... you _can_ spam rescues, but it's not a very safe thing to do...

Sarvis
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sun May 20, 2001 6:07 pm

There is plenty of zone with HUGE spam and where casters go insta-splat if tanking any mob for more than 1 round.

Call the warriors useing rescue macros whatever you want, but those are the warriors I want with me in a zone.

I don't have time for ressing a few casters after each fight.

/Jegzed
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Sun May 20, 2001 8:12 pm

Ok how about add lag to heal while you're at it.
Pfft.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon May 21, 2001 7:09 am

I love when someone calls me a newbie. "Who cherzra";"who kyos";"look cherzra" "look kyos" - that'll show you the newbie. Laugh.
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Mon May 21, 2001 8:18 am

Just because im level 1 now, doesn't mean
i'v always been it cherzra.

I played ogre warrior when you weren't even a thought out name. So i call you newbie as much as i like and enjoy it. bahah

Anyways that was not the point.

But ok, since it already had some lag it might be nice, it did not when i played a couple years ago and i didn't notice much lag a couple days ago, but i might be wrong.

Anyways i hate muds where the line is not visible between newbies (cherzra lol) that level to 50 without any problems and hit a couple keys for rescue and bash and real players that played for _many_ years, not just sojourn. It should be hard to play, it
should take skill, not just some numbers on
the character, so a retarded 12 year old
plays all his way to 50 and nice eq and shit
with triggers and macros. Which is a bit boring...

Bye, end of story.

[This message has been edited by Kyos (edited 05-21-2001).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon May 21, 2001 8:34 am

Call me what you will I don't care. But every good player knows what saves a group in big fights, and that is trigger rescuing. Are you honestly going to rescue by hand at 2nd gatehouse, TF braxats or in rooms with 12 manscorpions? I'll tell you what the result of that is, you won't get to rescue anyone and everyone will go splat. In TF, we tallied the rescues that ppl with elaborate triggers got and compared it to those who manually rescued, and the rescue ratio was like 5 to 1. I sense an 'anti trigger' message in your post, and it sounds like you want the mud to change to such a way that nobody can use any. Why? People have triggers for everything. Should we add lag to the heal spell? Or the stoneskin spell? What actually will introducing more lag to a rescue do? It's already there, so I don't see the point of adding even more.

Honestly do you think typing 'rescue blablabla' takes "years of experience" and shows "the difference between an experienced player and a 12 year old"? Good lord I can't believe someone would claim that the difference between a good and a bad person is shown by who can type the fastest. Here's some news: it doesn't. Anyone can type. Slowly typing rescues by hand, *that* is what inexperienced people do.It's strange to me that you would claim to be experienced, yet at the same time you want to manually rescue people when the spam is scrolling by at a screen a second.

Anyway, all our arguing aside, it's fine that you want to rescue by hand, to each his own, but please let those of us who do it differently do it their way. Why can't people do things in different ways without one criticizing the other? You play your way, I'll play mine - let everyone do it the way they want. Live and let live. Anyway, my last post on this topic, have a nice day.

Cherzra

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 05-21-2001).]
Wargar
Sojourner

Postby Wargar » Mon May 21, 2001 1:46 pm

Cherz has a point Kyos, just because you don't find it fun to use triggers for everything doesn't mean everybody agrees. We each find fun in our own ways. (Admit it, the game is incredibly boring, the people make it fun)

On that note: For my first two years as a warrior I didn't use any rescue triggers. 1 alias for each group member: (ie. re = rescue elscint, rm = rescue marforp, rmp = rescue mplor etc etc) Including for the first TF group (let's call it an attempt shall we?), SF back when it was rescue city, gatehouses, CC (rescue triggers = baaaad), and all the others. Now more often than not, if I wasn't the primary tank, that poor victim usually just rescued me. Why? Not just because I can type fast, but because I took the time to pay attention. The code is stagnant.. mobs will switch to the same "type" of person 99% of the time.. if you see a switch, hit that rescue alias for that person, odds are you'll rescue before they take the first round of damage. (It's actually faster than _most_ triggers out there, depending on how the person entered the names in the rescuelist) Granted, at the time only about 1 in 5 people had rescue triggers going, but it wasn't hard to beat them back then. Just for reference Image.

As another side note! I do have a rescue trigger setup now that I toggle on in certain situations (like when i'm feeling lazy, or not paying enough attention) Either way it's a moot point tho, since the mud definately has evolved beyond the times Ky is talking about. (Both in having miniscule lag now, and requiring NOT having 'more' lag.)

Wargar

ps: Not in response to the people involved in these posts, but level/eq right now doesn't necessarily have anything to do with skill. Playtime is the #1 factor right now.
Xizz
Sojourner

Postby Xizz » Mon May 21, 2001 2:09 pm

On this side note, why not add some sort of level 40 warrior (quest?)/skill so that they can automatically be set to guard someone or group of people? Something that would totally prevent the switching skill that a mob would be able to do. What really is the point in forcing everyone to have to grab some sort of trigger to autorescue? Let it be a measure of skill instead.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon May 21, 2001 2:31 pm

Hm, bring 4 warriors, and the group would be safe from all switches... I don't like that idea, right now people can autorescue or manually rescue - let everyone do it his own way Image

another of my 2 cents, C.
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Mon May 21, 2001 2:40 pm

My 2 cents..
as an old school warrior, and having seen many of the large mass battles, automatic triggers would seem to be a bad idea. For zones without many mobs, its no big deal..
But when you start fighting mass amounts of mobs, you gota manually select who you are going to rescue first..

as Wargar said "1 alias for each group member: (ie. re = rescue elscint, rm = rescue marforp, rmp = rescue mplor etc etc) "
this is how I have personally done it for many years (though it was tintin++, zmud whats that?)
To say which is best, thats goes with experience...I'd have to say its the party members experiences, not the warriors who gets the final word on who is a good rescuer.

I'm against auto trigger rescues mainly because I prefer to rescue the person who is most in need of rescuing, and not just having my client automatically rescue the first non-tank getting whacked on.
Mapped keys is a nice feature, if you are used to hititng f1, f2, etc..
I personally dont have the long fingers to reach those keys without looking down at my keyboard(cant take my eyes away from battle spam that long anyway), so a rq (rescue quenatannthaiolanslit) is a lot easier for me to do than a f1, and I tend to pay a lot more attention to the battle spam if I am manually rescuing..
keeps you on your toes.

Garosh
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Mon May 21, 2001 2:49 pm

*roar Garosh* Image
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon May 21, 2001 2:57 pm

Personally I used to dislike triggers, I was always under the impression that I could make better decisions (albeit slower) then trigger sets, thus justify not using them. But you can easily make triggers that discriminate, adjust them on the fly, and overall they are far more effective and faster then you could ever be. They are also less error prone, aren't affected by spam/lag(block lag) as much as you are, can't be distracted by the new Britney Video.....
If I was a caster, I would much rather have tanks with a rescue trigger handy, then those that dont.
Trigger co-depedent,
Belle

[This message has been edited by belleshel (edited 05-21-2001).]
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Mon May 21, 2001 3:58 pm

Why play a mud if you are basically just running a bot-script?

Old School Player,
Garosh
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Mon May 21, 2001 4:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kyos:
<B>Just because im level 1 now, doesn't mean
i'v always been it cherzra.

I played ogre warrior when you weren't even a thought out name. So i call you newbie as much as i like and enjoy it. bahah

Anyways that was not the point.

But ok, since it already had some lag it might be nice, it did not when i played a couple years ago and i didn't notice much lag a couple days ago, but i might be wrong.

Anyways i hate muds where the line is not visible between newbies (cherzra lol) that level to 50 without any problems and hit a couple keys for rescue and bash and real players that played for _many_ years, not just sojourn. It should be hard to play, it
should take skill, not just some numbers on
the character, so a retarded 12 year old
plays all his way to 50 and nice eq and shit
with triggers and macros. Which is a bit boring...

Bye, end of story.

[This message has been edited by Kyos (edited 05-21-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Kyos, so your telling us if you were to quit today. and rejoin the mud 10 years from now. Your claim to fame is what you started and never keep up with it? There is a big different between L1 and L50 on any mud. L50 mean that person willing to spend time to get level, get eq, learn the mud. know some if not most of it. High level eq is not given to idiot in group and doesn't know jack. As for L1, they like to claim what they did in the past, know it all, bitch and whine about stuff, sit and ask for eq from high level, never bother to get their ass up and learn the system.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon May 21, 2001 5:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Garosh:
<B>Why play a mud if you are basically just running a bot-script?

Old School Player,
Garosh</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because there is a lot more to this mud then doing certain actions in combat, if my triggers are going to save lives, headaches, time...I'm using triggers most of the time. There is so much more to this mud then if you or your trigger rescued someone. To each his own, don't sweat ths small stuff.

Old school mudder, admin, coder, ect
Belle
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Mon May 21, 2001 5:42 pm

Kyos, I am sorry to hear you say that you hate sojourn so much, it really is a great mud. Also you are wrong. Muds should not be hard to play. Muds should be easy to play and hard to master. Could you please explain how hitting a couple of keys such as "rt" for rescue turg is an example of a "newbie" player and hitting a couple of keys such as "res turg" is an example of a "real" player?

Why is it that you say you have played this mud for "_years_" and yet you do not know that rescue already has a lag associated with it?

If you want a game that is hard to play and takes skill why don't you go pick up Golf or try a game of Chess...

Personally I use an auto-rescue trigger when I am doing steady exp on single mobs. While doing a zone I create two character aliases for each group member if needed.(I can type res blung fast enough but res Zorkalkinon takes a bit of luck). When I played an enchanter I had some spells set up the same way.

So if you have fun playing from telnet with out any trigger or macros more power to ya. I do not think that this makes you a better player than one who uses triggers/macros.

Rausrh licks you.
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Mon May 21, 2001 6:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by belleshel:
<B> Because there is a lot more to this mud then doing certain actions in combat, if my triggers are going to save lives, headaches, time...I'm using triggers most of the time. There is so much more to this mud then if you or your trigger rescued someone. To each his own, don't sweat ths small stuff.

Old school mudder, admin, coder, ect
Belle</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, its a matter of playstyle, I guess I like to keep as much in my control as possible, otherwise I feel its just my computer making all the responses. With the added benefit of getting better and better and faster and faster at typing Image

Garosh
Tzat
Sojourner

Postby Tzat » Mon May 21, 2001 8:51 pm

First: Typing skill shouldn't be the main factor in determining who is a "good player".

Second: What exactly are these rescue triggers we are talking about? Something that looks at the status line, picks up the tank name and rescues that person if it is a caster? Or just something easier like something that tries to rescue every caster when it sees "switches targets..."?
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Mon May 21, 2001 8:56 pm

These are the ones I reccomend for all my tanks.
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000004.html

I'm a much happier caster when I'm with a tank that uses them too.

------------------
Gindipple (Gnome) stands here.
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Tue May 22, 2001 12:04 am

"Kyos, I am sorry to hear you say that you hate sojourn so much, it really is a great mud. "

I did not say i hate sojourn, i only dislike the barrier between newbie-good players and it does not have anything to do with sojourn, but every mud.

I just said it would be kewl to sharpen the edge between newbie warrior-bots and good players.

However, rescue may already be ok. It's just fun to hear all "newbies" scream when someone wants to make the mud harder to play :P

And i _do not_ whine. I simply gave an idea.

Anyways, there might be other places to make the game harder to play, lets find some!
Astansus
Sojourner

Postby Astansus » Wed May 23, 2001 12:01 pm

Call me a newbie too Chezra. I haven't played here for years. I just have a question on those triggers though. When I played a robot was considered anything that could be left afk and would still do its task. I know a level 50 bard that lost half his levels due to him being afk and having a trigger that restarted the song of healing when the song was finished or when he stuttered.

If you run auto rescue scripts you could afk in a zone and it would keep rescuing. So my question is did they change the robot rules?

(I am really really bored or I wouldn't post)

Cheers
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed May 23, 2001 12:07 pm

Go back and read the posts again. I didn't call anyone a newbie, I was CALLED a newbie. Anyway, a rescue trigger is not a bot. Never has been as long as I have been here. As long as you are behind the keyboard and A)you aren't allowing people to use you as a robot by sending you tells which trigger you to do stuff B) you don't have elaborate stuff set up that run you from mob to mob and fight, flees and mems for you, then repeats it as the zone pops (I've seen it Image)).
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed May 23, 2001 4:10 pm

*nods at cherzra*

As long as someone isn't controlling you, triggers are fine. If you feel this is botting, wouldn't that also nullify eat/drink triggers? Or stand triggers for when you've done memming? Or perhaps aliases are triggers also? To stand after you've been bashed, that's a trigger...

See the point? As long as you are at the keyboard, and your triggers can't be repeatedly set off by someone else(except in humor....You are hungry...), then you're fine.

If I am afk for 30 mins and come back to find that I have rescued the entire party 3x apiece, and 2nd gatehouse in jot is dead... Well you get the picture. Image

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 23, 2001 6:17 pm

I think automatic transmission is cheesy. I wish there were more of a distinction between newbie drivers who need to rely on automatic transmission, and REAL drivers who can drive stick. I also think everyone should be forced to drive stick, whether they're good at it or not. Even though I haven't driven a car in 3 years, I'm better than all those hippies out there who drive automatics.

Sound about right, Kyos?

- Ragorn
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Wed May 23, 2001 6:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>I think automatic transmission is cheesy. I wish there were more of a distinction between newbie drivers who need to rely on automatic transmission, and REAL drivers who can drive stick. I also think everyone should be forced to drive stick, whether they're good at it or not. Even though I haven't driven a car in 3 years, I'm better than all those hippies out there who drive automatics.

Sound about right, Kyos?

- Ragorn</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comparing an Automatic Transmission to a Trigger in a mud isnt very good example.
Now if that car automatically turned on the blinker when you turned the wheel, or drove by itself down the road for that matter..

But if you have a trigger set, that automatically stands you up, rescues, gets your weapons and rewields them, eats your food, drinks your water, and you are following someone else. Wheres the challenge of playing a good warrior? Is it to be able to write good scripts that makes a warrior fun? If your computer makes all the decisions for you, whats the point?

For those people who say they will only group with people with great auto triggers and stuff, basically you are saying you prefer to group with Bots than with actual players.
If thats how you wanna play, enjoy.
I dont see how its any fun for the warrior-bot to sit there behind the keyboard watching his script run. Most likely he is just sitting there watching tv anyway, letting his script going, and has a trigger set in case an Immortal talks to him, to warn him to respond to a question to prove he isnt a bot.

Whats the point of gaining levels if the script has fought every battle for you?
Big feeling of accomplishment there.

Again, this is just my opinion about bot-warriors. Flame on!

Garosh
Tzat
Sojourner

Postby Tzat » Wed May 23, 2001 7:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Garosh:
<B>
But if you have a trigger set, that automatically stands you up, rescues, gets your weapons and rewields them, eats your food, drinks your water, and you are following someone else. Wheres the challenge of playing a good warrior? Is it to be able to write good scripts that makes a warrior fun? If your computer makes all the decisions for you, whats the point?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, sorta agree, but I can also see this viewpoint:

Warrior sitting at his keyboard swearing at his computer as the caster dies after he mistypes rescue boogalugabulo for the 5th time cuz he is just a bad typist.

Makes sense to have a trigger there..maybe just a macro...probably SOMETHING other than just plain typing.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed May 23, 2001 7:39 pm

This is such a silly topic Image Who cares what other people do! Get back to playing the mud Image
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Wed May 23, 2001 8:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tzat:
<B> Hmm, sorta agree, but I can also see this viewpoint:

Warrior sitting at his keyboard swearing at his computer as the caster dies after he mistypes rescue boogalugabulo for the 5th time cuz he is just a bad typist.

Makes sense to have a trigger there..maybe just a macro...probably SOMETHING other than just plain typing.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont have anything against alias's, I'm not saying to be a good warrior you need to be a good typist, but simple commands..
if you are grouped with one person, just set it to R or something
multiples rb = rescue bloopdipoop
ect.
same deal with casters..you hit a F for cast 'fireball' etc..
but at least there is some Thought involved in the process, as opposed to mindless watching of scripts running.

At least this way, if the caster dies, it is the Players fault, instead of saying 'Well I guess my script is Fubared, sorry you died', easy to place blame on the computer...but it shouldnt be so.

I'm not a total extremist in saying that all triggers are bad. Like if your armor spell fades, and you do a gsay that you armor is gone, to me its more Obvious, since when spell effects fade on me, I usually dont notice. If I knew more about zmud, I could probably configure it so thats it blinking and in obnoxious colors..but that would take at least a couple seconds of my time. Image

Garosh the Player, not Bot-runner.

[This message has been edited by Garosh (edited 05-23-2001).]
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Thu May 24, 2001 4:01 am

I can't believe I just read this whole thing... hmmm

#trigger {newbie|bot|fun} {#gag} nospam

There we go.

Harthorm
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu May 24, 2001 5:26 am

If you enjoy typing

rem pack;get ration pack;eat ration;drop partial;get flagon pack;drink flagon;put flagon pack;wear pack

every 8 mud hours, then be my guest and do it. I don't find that fun, nor do I find it particularly challenging. Asserting that automatic food triggers is part of botting is sort of absurd.

Most combat triggers are designed to cope with spam. In a 15v8 battle in manscorpions, chances are you won't always see when you get bashed or who each mob switches to. The mob AI does, however. The AI bases its tactics on the reality of the situation, not based on what lines it can pick out of a spamming screen. Stand and retrieve triggers help compensate for a player's inability to comprehend all the data he's given. If I'm a bad mudder because I have a tendency to miss the bash message in 48+ lines of combat spam per round, then so be it. I'm a bad mudder.

I judge a player's ability on his willingness to follow directions, mud knowledge, knowledge of his role in a group, and alertness. I don't judge people based on their typing speed or their reliance on triggers. If that's how you choose to evaluate other Sojourners, then that's your right.

One more question.

Do you mud in color? Because to a person on windows telnet, I could see how that would be cheating. All that automatic color coding and all, makes it terribly easy to see your tank's condition in battle. Don't have to read anything, you just look at the pretty colors Image

- Ragorn
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu May 24, 2001 9:07 am

OK. This is an amazing topic, in some sense. I find it incredible that someone objects to setting up aliases/macros for things like rescues.

There are mud situations where it just says "Mob switches targets...". So is the warrior gonna sit there, picking his nose, waiting for his blank line to go in so he knows who it switched to? Do mobs act that way? HELL no! As a necro, if a mob switched to me, instantaneously I had two vamps rescuing me (soj2, obviously).

Mind you, when I go to rescue someone, I have to make sure that I stop bashing, shieldpunching, etc... makes the trigger all that much more complex. Is there skill in designing a basic triggerset? Sure.

But the main element of skill is in deciding how to use one, once you have it. Knowing when to use a particular skill is critical as a warrior, and no trigger set in the world is gonna give someone that knowledge.
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Thu May 24, 2001 12:47 pm

Well it all comes down to personal preference in the end. As I have said, Its just My personal opinion and playstyle not to use triggers for every situation as a warrior.
If you take offense because I actually do most stuff manually, or with some aliases, so be it. If I have the ability to use the #gag or #filter command to remove 'all misses' so that battles aren't so spammy, and I notice bashes,switches, etc and react to them as fast as zmud, then dont take offense at that.

If I group with you and you are a warrior, and thing gets sticky, The LAST thing I want to hear when something goes wrong is 'My trigger failed to work!' or something lame like that. If something goes wrong, and I could have prevented it personally, I take the full blame of my actions or inactions.

Again, this represents my opinion only, if triggers are your life, then so be it. I personally dont see any fun in it that way, but thats just me I guess. And I am not talking about eatting food triggers, or drinking beverages. This whole thread has been talking about Warriors with Triggers, which pertain to combat; the defining moments of the warrior class.

Garosh who feels that Seldrin should have been deleted for his bothood.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Thu May 24, 2001 1:11 pm

"If you take offense because I actually do most stuff manually, or with some aliases, so be it. If I have the ability to use the #gag or #filter command to remove 'all misses' so that battles aren't so spammy, and I notice
bashes,switches, etc and react to them as fast as zmud, then dont take offense at that."

Ummm you are using both #GAG and #FILTER as combat triggers to make your life easier...(purists would be ashamed of your!)
Also don't kid yourself, it's impossible for you to be 'as fast as zmud'.

We can rebuild you,
Belle Image
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Thu May 24, 2001 1:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by belleshel:
<B>"If you take offense because I actually do most stuff manually, or with some aliases, so be it. If I have the ability to use the #gag or #filter command to remove 'all misses' so that battles aren't so spammy, and I notice
bashes,switches, etc and react to them as fast as zmud, then dont take offense at that."

Ummm you are using both #GAG and #FILTER as combat triggers to make your life easier...(purists would be ashamed of your!)
Also don't kid yourself, it's impossible for you to be 'as fast as zmud'.

We can rebuild you,
Belle Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well its not a trigger in the effect that, my computer isnt responding to the mud with a command, its just deleting the offending spam. And as far as being as fast as zmud, there is a second or two between rounds, more than ample time to rescue someone.
If I rescue someone .01 seconds after zmud would, whats the difference if it all occurs in that same 'in between round'
Triggers can only perform when it 'see's the text', so lag affects it the same way, if not worse. A human can adjust to the spam and all the badness that can occur when 10 pages of spam fly by.. a set of triggers can fire off a series of commands that would stun ya so long you find yourself dead.

I woudlnt be surprised to find out that a huge pile of triggers actually delays the time it takes for text to appear in your window, since it is in effect scanning everything coming in.

Garosh, never claimed to be a purist or extremist Image
And actually I havent used the #gag and #filter commands this time around as of yet..but I imagine if I get into a Huge mass combat it wouldnt hurt. I would have to read the lil help file to learn the syntax and what the difference is/if any between them.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu May 24, 2001 5:51 pm

It is true that a "huge pile" of triggers slows down your machine some. Fortunately, I'm running a 700 mhz Athlon (only reason it's that slow is cause I have yet to find a game, even 3d-intensive, where I can notice a significant slowdown).

And no, you can't, just by watching for "switches targets" know who the mob switched to, in-between rounds, without feeding a blank line (this is especially true if you aren't the tank, getting status updates every round *if* the mob hits or misses - you don't get a status line if you defend every attack).

If you want to avoid triggers, that's your prerogative. Just don't try to paint people who have trigger sets as somehow being less than you are. I could get away with it, with my typing speed (100+ wpm), but if I ever typo (btw, use tab completion, harder to typo names) I expose my group to a spank or at minimum a death or two.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”