Mounted ideas

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Malacar
Sojourner

Mounted ideas

Postby Malacar » Mon May 28, 2001 6:12 am

Gonna get flamed for this, but...

I don't think you should be allowed to meditate on horseback. Mem possibly, but not meditate. You're mounted, the horse prances around. It's not solid ground. How can you maintain the concentration required?

Just a thought is all.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Valeos/Dorac
Sojourner

Postby Valeos/Dorac » Mon May 28, 2001 11:16 am

How about actually being able to sit on your horse instead of standing on it? Image
be nice to sit and rest on your horse while you move around when riding it heh...
would be cool to be able to mem while moving on horseback too...kinda like reading a book while driving Image
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon May 28, 2001 11:58 am

Valeos, where do you live? If you're going to be driving whilst reading a book, I'm going to stay off the streets =P

Yayaril
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Mon May 28, 2001 4:18 pm

Well, this isn't unheard of. Remember, the Mongols actually SLEPT while riding (in pursuit no less). Of course there was always someone who was awake leading them, but that's actually one of the things that made them so nasty. Horses can walk for damn near forever... and if you don't have to stop, well... you catch people you want to catch.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon May 28, 2001 4:37 pm

Right, that's why I said I can see praying or memorizing.. But meditation requires absolute tranquility.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 28, 2001 10:01 pm

Yayaril: Horses are different from cars, they can drive themselves. In fact, very much unlike cars, horses are generally trained not to gallop over people.

Malacar: Tibettan monks practice meditation while their master hits them about the face and shoulders with a bamboo rod. The point being they are supposed to _make_ their own tranquility. That way they can mantain a meditative calm even during combat.

Sarvis
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue May 29, 2001 2:19 am

That's a monk, not a knight. I see your point, though, and agree with it somewhat.

I still think mounted combat really takes away from the warrior class, however.

------------------
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 29, 2001 2:45 am

You can't meditate while moving. Simply because mount code doesn't allow you to sit and let the horse carry you around, you have to stand.

So essentially, if you're meditating, the horse is standing perfectly still.

I don't understand the roleplay necessity of removing mounted meditate, nor do I understand the practicality of it. This would accomplish nothing to help the MUD, and would just make an otherwise routine process infinitely more tedious.

Ooh the horse jiggles a little. Big f'ing deal.

- Ragorn

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”