Shaman Fly?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Dalyx
Sojourner

Shaman Fly?

Postby Dalyx » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:39 am

I've been thinking about this for quite a while now, and I think shaman should get the fly spell. It's a good utility spell for a great utility class.

I think it would fit well into the 8th circle. It would defintely be a help for me when i go exploring, since I don't have a fly item. Image

What do y'all think?
celara
Sojourner

Postby celara » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:33 am

I tried this topic a long while ago when I was playing a shaman, and people didnt like the idea much. I still think its a good idea, I mean, shamans? animals? birds? flying? Makes sense.
-Celara

------------------
Thanuk says 'who would think to name their character after a shitty chick movie?'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:13 pm

i think shaman one hell of a class, doesnt need an awesome spell like fly.

however it does feel funny to not have any means of circumventing natural manifestations such as rivers, canyons, lakes. Walk on water/levitate would be nice if you think there is a real gap in their abilities without giving them something as awesome as fly.
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:49 pm

Shamans get Vigorize Critic, that is more then a magetype or warriortype or roguetype. That is all you need to travel around sojourn. Once you aquire fly eq is makes it a lot easier, but there is no reason to give a class who has vigorize critic the fly spell. My shaman has traveled the game and back, I'm sure yours can too.

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:52 pm

I like the idea of a fly spell for the shaman class, but as caz pointed out it probably wouldn't be so great to give them a full version of fly as per the enchanter class.

How about something more along the lines of a self-only fly spell 'spirit wings'? This would cause a shadowy, spirit-driven set of wings to sprout forth from the shaman's back and cause them to be able to fly like a bird. Maybe make the duration less than enchanter fly also.

------------------
Wharog Ear Gone - The Sigil
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:26 pm

oooooooooooo Dlur!! I like!!!!!!

but let the spirit be affected too ??

Or only able to be used when a spirit has been summoned.

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:56 pm

For a long time, I wished for a spell like this, especially for orcs, barbs (having to travel long distances and sometimes over water). Truthfully though, they don't really need it, and it would be like adding another layer of frosting to a cake. It would just make it too sweet.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>i think shaman one hell of a class, doesnt need an awesome spell like fly.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For any thread where anyone proposes giving a new spell or skill to any class, or upgrading an item or proc, just take it for granted that we KNOW you are against it.

Really, the third post in every "X needs ..." thread is Kiryan telling us that everything is fine.

Really dude, we get it.

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:38 pm

If shamans get a fly spell, I think it would be more interesting to make the spell actually turn you into a bird, similar to druid shapechange, and allow you to end it when you want. This would give it the basic utility of easy travel, but at the same time it's not preferable to enchanter fly in many situations.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:14 am

Treladian's idea is AWESOME if it can be tweaked right Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:44 pm

if someone suggested a good well themed upgrade for necros (but not lichs) i would support it.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:18 pm

Would much rather see plane shift for shaman. Only reason shaman need fly is if they are going to another plane. With vigorize and a boat you can go anywhere in sojourn not on one of the planes (certain areas excluded like crypts for instance).

The only reason to give shaman fly would be to help out enchanters when zoning.

I like the idea of being able to shape change though. Would be cool to be able to shapechange into the form of the spirit that you have. Would be nice if the effect would add levitate and make you non agro to animals.

Still think that plane shift would be a more useful thing for shaman than fly or shape change.

Depok completes his spell.

A spirit guide appears and takes depok to the plane of smoke.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:28 pm

shaman can't make a boat.
boat and levi wont get you over !ground say like a canyon.

While shaman flying over a canyon doesn't necessarily fit my perception of them, neither does the shaman who can't cross basic natural manifestations such as river or lake or canyon with his basic abilities.

Perhaps water breathing (already a shaman spell) should grant you the ability to cross water?

planeshift, if they could plane shift to a spirit plane that would be cool, but i see no reason why they should be able to shift to smoke, ethereal, astral, even prime... fire or air i could almost see, but its a little to elemental imo. Shaman focus isn't strong enough in nature to justify their ability to access elemental planes directly.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
if someone suggested a good well themed upgrade for necros (but not lichs) i would support it. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*peer*

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:52 pm

<B>shaman can't make a boat.

While shaman flying over a canyon doesn't necessarily fit my perception of them, neither does the shaman who can't cross basic natural manifestations such as river or lake or canyon with his basic abilities.

Perhaps water breathing (already a shaman spell) should grant you the ability to cross water?

planeshift, if they could plane shift to a spirit plane that would be cool, but i see no reason why they should be able to shift to smoke, ethereal, astral, even prime... fire or air i could almost see, but its a little to elemental imo. Shaman focus isn't strong enough in nature to justify their ability to access elemental planes directly.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he knows shaman can't make boats .. he simply stated that with boats and vigs we can go ALMOST (yeah he also knows about !ground areas..) anywhere on the mud ..

i still like the idea of pshift or a spirit type fly spell... self/pet only ... spirit wings is the BEST idea i have heard in ages Image

------------------
Dalyx
Sojourner

Postby Dalyx » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:17 pm

That IS a great idea... having a self and spirt-only fly spell would be an awesome addition. I walk around so much on the mud that vigs and a boat have gotten me most places but "spirit wings" would be very cool.

BTW, I also have to say that shaman are the best class on the mud. I've enjoyed playing Dalyx from day one and still do.
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:46 am

sadly:

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000194.html

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:49 pm

<B>shaman can't make a boat.

planeshift, if they could plane shift to a spirit plane that would be cool, but i see no reason why they should be able to shift to smoke, ethereal, astral, even prime... fire or air i could almost see, but its a little to elemental imo. Shaman focus isn't strong enough in nature to justify their ability to access elemental planes directly.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey who took away my minor creation? I thought for sure I have been able to make a boat for these past 47 Shaman levels!

Goof.

If you don't have a boat by the time you get water breathing you got bigger problems than not being able to cross water.

On the plane shift discussion, can you explain with your above reasoning why clerics get the ability to move to the non spirit planes then?

From wobb's link shaman are demi-cleric demi-mage. Both groups have the ability to travel to all of the planes. If we are a subset of each I think that it is appropriate that we would be able to do the same.

Believe we are the only caster class without the ability to move ourselves from prime to planes (maybe necros but I can understand that reasoning always playing with dead people and such (I AM JOKING))

Again, think fly would only be appropriate if it helped out enchanters in groups ie make it a higher circle spell (Enchanters have actually asked for other classes to get fly on numerous occasions and bard fly is not a consistent enough effect to chance it when you are !ground)
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:59 pm

With all that spirit stuff shamans do. (And did with drugs in history) give them a fly spell that work on Etheral and Astral plane. Only those planes.

Someone could argue elemental planes, but not me. Shamans isn't elementalists I think.

/Disoputlip

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”