mud . . . and not mud!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
kwirl
Sojourner

mud . . . and not mud!

Postby kwirl » Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:43 pm

ok . . . this is both a question about the mud, and a question for the other mudders. im 22, i've been mudding since i was like 14 or 15, and hit on sojourn when i was like 16 or 17, anyway. i was a hardcore addict. i mean, to the point it was unhealthy. so, thankfully, i'm not like that anymore. but i didn't go to college after high school. i could, but i didn't want to. now i am planning on going . . . and i wanna work with computers, since i stumbled on to them as a kid, i have loved them, and anything i play with i learn fast.

what i wanna know - you people on here for the most part seem to be big . . . techies i guess is the word. i never had time or a teacher to learn that stuff. what did you read, where did you go? i love computers with a passion . . . that feeling when you plug the comma into a missing spot and everything just works, is magic. how can i learn the stuff that you people who do this for a living know? any sites? any books? is there someone i can email? for the record, i moved to the northwest . . knowing like nobody here, just to be closer to the computer part of the world. if someone can point me to help, i would think it's really cool *hint hint*

kwirlkarphys@hotmail.com

-thanks,
-kwirl, *trying to educate himself, really!*
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Thu Feb 15, 2001 10:01 pm

I dont know much about it really, I am going to be taking some courses in high school soon (yeah, yeah I'm not outta school yet) I know enough about coding to do basic zMUD triggers but that is about it. Image

-Z

[This message has been edited by Zuurn Shatter Skull (edited 02-15-2001).]
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Feb 15, 2001 11:06 pm

It depends on WHAT you want to do with computers really. Programming? Software design? Hardware design? Hardware repairing? Network administration? Network hardware? Or, if for some reason you desire to become a humanoid manifestestation of cynicism, tech support?

As for myself, I basically just picked it up as I went along, experimenting with different commands and options under different operating systems, reading news about the industry, and talking to friends that are more knowledgable in certain parts of computers than I am (ie, networks). The other aspect of it that helps when I'm involved in programming stuff for classes is the fact that my mind is analytical and creative, breaking down problems and figuring out what would be the best way to tackle them (though that part can take many tries =). Anyway, try to be a bit more specific since there's a lot you might be able to do but not all of it may appeal to you.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Feb 15, 2001 11:29 pm

I didn't know much about computers until I went to college, then just kinda randomly chose computer science as my major. As long as you get decent teachers, and have some talent for programming that's all you should really have to do. Actually most of my teachers say they hate when self-taught kids get into the classes because they have a lot of bad habits that they need to beat out of them. Image So maybe better starting off in college not really knowing too much... heh.

Sarvis
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Fri Feb 16, 2001 1:13 am

I started out as a physics major, taking compsci because I knew they'd be important to me as a physicist. After the first class (basic :-), I was addicted. After several more classes I was enjoying programming much more than physics, so, I switched majors.

Here's a bunch of random thoughts:

Don't expect to be a 'good' programmer, if you're not willing to study constantly (even now, 16 years after graduating): the field expands at lightspeed, and you've got to run as fast as you can, just to stay in place. Read all the docs you can get your hands on for your development platform, especially the libraries/frameworks. *BUY* reference works for your language ("The C++ Programming Language" for C++, or something like "Java 2: The Complete Reference" for Java). Get source code in your language and read it, trying to figure out what they did, and why they did it. Join a study group and talk about what you're learning, others will have insights that they'll share with you, and you'll have insights to share with them; you'll learn more quickly with others, than by yourself. If you're a hunt-and-peck typist, learn how to type proficiently: you'll spend much less time fixing bugs that are typos.

I don't have a lot of experience with other careers, but, I doubt that there's much that can compare to the feeling you get when you've gotten an assignment, the muse hits, and the code flows from your fingers in a transcendent trance of inspiration Image. Heh, and they pay me to do this!

Eilorn.

[This message has been edited by Eilorn (edited 02-15-2001).]
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Fri Feb 16, 2001 1:43 am

If you want to get into computer programming just go to college and major in computer science; you don't need any background as long as you're willing and prepared to study and look over your work as it's given to you. Most colleges will start from the ground up in computer science so as long as you enjoy it and will do the assignments and work on what they give you, you really don't need any sort of background info on it.

[This message has been edited by Rynlaeis (edited 02-15-2001).]
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Fri Feb 16, 2001 2:04 am

I am planning on going to college sometime after I graduate, I am currently trying to take EVERY computer class I can get my greedy hands on in highschool and I am really interested in programming, Once I got zmud and started messing around w/ triggers and the variables 'n such I guess I just got hooked on it, and as I have seen, computer programmers make pretty good money. Great job to have something you love to do that pays well!

-Z
Revenki
Sojourner

Postby Revenki » Fri Feb 16, 2001 5:08 am

Couple of things that worked for me...

Find some newsgroups related to what you are wanting to learn, lurk for a month or so, then start peppering them with your questions.

As far as books go I really like O'Reilly's stuff, got just about everything by them. You can usually find some good books in discount book stores in your area in the computer section.

Revenki Et al.
Kajib
Sojourner

Postby Kajib » Fri Feb 16, 2001 6:23 am

Uh hey Roger, guess wut :P You're like, a few hours away from me now heh, and you still havent called.... ho. I'm comin back home this weekend, coming back Friday night and leaving either saturday night or sunday morning...busy saturday day, dunno about saturday night, but ill be an hour away from you ...yer in hood river, which is about an hour east of me. So we should get together and do somethin :P
If you get this before Friday evening, call me here at school, (541) 713-6125....if you get it later, call me at home, (503) 663-5839
Yes, i realize it might be dumb to put my phone number on here, but hey, you guys are all cool and I trust you :P Just dun start prankin me! hehe. Anyways man....
Along the lines of school, go to oregon state university! Go beavs ror , wasted notre dame in football. I'm taking computer engineering here, but I seriously hate the material so might change it. But we're a pretty good engineering school, and up there in programming also.
Anyways, call me asap, I'll be up tonight (Thursday night) til like, 1 or 2 am, so call me punk.
Matt
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Fri Feb 16, 2001 3:45 pm

Maaaannnn heres the part where i try and talk you out of it. I mean think about it do you really want to spend all day, every day pecking away at a keyboard? Thats basically what i do and its not exactly what i would call a rewarding job. And i dont do near the amount of typing that them programmers do. Im in Telecom and still have to sit at a computer all freakin day and type my ass off.
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Fri Feb 16, 2001 7:06 pm

I submit the following in the interest of providing alternative possibilities.

Forget about comp-sci. Go to community college and get a two year degree in Criminal Justice. Then transfer those credits to a good University and finish a Bachelors in Criminal Justice. It's easy, you only have to compete with football players and wanna-be state troopers. You should be able to pull off an A average and still have time to develop an alcohol problem. When your done with that, take your A average and go to a good law school. If you insist on being a tech weenie, you can practice tech law, litigation or corporate, your choice.

Temputz
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 16, 2001 7:55 pm

Yeah that's it, forget about creating things people love and go into a profession where everyone will hate you. Image

Sarvis
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 16, 2001 9:54 pm

Tempus forgot to mention that you can look forward to either working in the private sector and spending 75 hours a week in the office, or the public sector and living at home because you don't make enough money to rent an apartment.

Corth

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 02-16-2001).]
Bregar Blackwolf
Sojourner

Postby Bregar Blackwolf » Sat Feb 17, 2001 12:37 am

I remember when I was 13 or so I was like cool I wanna work with computers and get paid the big bucks. I never really took classes when I was in high school just picked up whatever books I could find and started reading it. I would read some pages before I went to bed and then slept and dreamt what I just read. After I got home from school the next day I would goof around on the computer to what I read the night before and try to learn it regardless of what it was but mostly C+++ or HTML Coding of some means. Finally by the time I was 17 or 18 I was making my own web sites for family members and then started to say okay time to upgrade then I started to learn Java Script and from there on moved onto Shockwave and now working on Flash 5.0 or so. All this stuff I have taught myself to learn it but have no degree to back it up and I'm 26 now but the computer world if you know your stuff for most companies that is all you need. During college though after bombing my classes for AA Degree I decided to try Networking for Novell well took me a few tries to get it and then finally landed an AS Degree CNA in Novell Networking only one problem...No companies really look for that they want Microsoft Networking so I basically wasted some of my years but it got me to learn another thing I never knew and I got to know the professors and then they told me about Microsoft Web Page Design classes they have, so I said what the heck I went for it. Well currently I'm in my few classes to get my degree in Web Page Design and certification in doing it which now I'm making web sites for small companies in my area along with friends as well. Once I get my degree I'm looking to possible work on my companies web site at work for AT&T Wireless, but that is my goal not landed yet so will see. I will say one thing there is so many different fields where you can go with being with a computer..Web Page, Coding, Hardware, Software Techs, creating new computer components, electronics for the chips themself, and so many more, but there is one thing they all have in common. You can't go wrong in the $$$$ part Image. Good luck and hope this helped..Also you can do a search for web sites and HTML and you can find many that will teach ya the basics like this one...

http://www.teleport.com/~danal/Pages/making.html

Bregar Blackwolf
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Feb 19, 2001 4:06 pm

When coding name your variables according to common standards.

Integers, precede them with 'i'
Arrays, precede them with 'a'

etc.

Also, it makes for great laughs to name the remaining part of your variables 'shit' 'fuck' 'turd' etcetera. Gauranteed laughs when someone is checking your code! Makes for great readability! Do not inhale! Slippery when wet!

E.g.

if (turd_info > 4) {
for (W16 i_fag_index = 4 ; i_fag_index < turd_info; i_fag_index++) {

iShit = i_fag_index - 3;
buffer_p->l3messager[iShit] = (W8) (0xFF & inMesg_p->msgContents[i_fag_index]);
}
}

Also works wonders for function names!

void Funk_you_ifyoureadthisDork(BufferDataType *buffer_p, DlRecvMesgType *inMesg_p)

really makes other people understand what the function does, they won't even have to read the corresponding code!

Cherzra loved by his colleagues!

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 02-19-2001).]
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Tue Feb 20, 2001 7:14 pm

bah! my real name! my secret identity is ruined! :P hehe
btw folks - thanks all for the responses. i dont remember everything, but
1)i am creative, and i love organizing things. i go to friends houses and organize their CD's. just for the hell of it. they hate it. haha.
2)kajib - when my ass finds a job you will hear from me Image til then, im mr.broke. once i get a place, and im in school - im pondering creating a non-profit organization dedicated . . . well, basically - to let people use computers all they want for free. i figure that will make me like a mud god or something Image (can you say "non-profits get a free t1 line" hehe)
3)ive mudded(spelled right? :P) for over 7 years, if i wasn't a good typer before, i think i am now :P
4)programming . . . my brief experience with it was great . . . i signed up for a 2nd year programming course, with no previous exp and loved it so much that i finished my final exam 2 months into the course. right now im reading khernigan and rhitchie's(i know i spelled it wrong) C . . . ive been told this is like the bible of the C programming language.
5)yay for me - i was told that with my test scores as high as they were, even after 4 years im still eligible for scholarships and stuff. still not sure what school im going to:P or what major. if i can learn computers on my own, then im thinking about a business degree . . . my 2nd love

thanks all
-kwirl/thamas/dazok
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Sat Feb 24, 2001 12:43 pm

I'm the ultra matrix of mudding.

I'm studdying P.E
Never took a class in computer stuffs, except the basic that all had to do.

I've never worked with computers and never will. I don't want to work with computers, i wanna work with people.

But MUD? yeah sure..
damn it's wicked.
Mikar
Sojourner

Postby Mikar » Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:57 pm

Kwirl-

Just some (hopefully) helpful advice. You can basically go one of two directions:

1) Either get your Computer Science degree and concentrate on programming. The more programming languages you learn in college, the more well rounded you will be for the job market.

2) Or get any of a number of certifications and be a network / server guru. Some of the decent certifications you might want to look into are MCSE, Network+, A+, or CCNA -depending on what you want to specialize in.

Either way, a college degree and a bachelor of science at that is almost a necessity to making good money. There are exceptions but the degree makes it easier. So if you haven't gone to school yet and you plan on putting in 4 years, you might as well get your bachelors in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or Computer Information Systems.

And for those goofs that say, hey do you really want to sit in front of a computer all day? You should said, 'Hell ya! I can mud all day at work and then with the mad loot I make in real I can take nice trips and buy nice things'.

I got a late start in the Computer Industry. But in a little over 8 months I have increased my salary by 40% of what I was making at my prior job, and I am still at the bottom of the totem pole at the company I work at. I expect my current salary to double in the next two years and I am doing something I enjoy.

Just remember, techies and freaks rule!

Good luck Kwirl and when the mud opens if you have any questions about the field, I be more than happy to offer any advice.

At a nominal fee ofcourse Image

Don't worry. I should have a resser close at hand.

Hehe.

-Bob

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”