standing and casting faster than any possible bash

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

standing and casting faster than any possible bash

Postby cherzra » Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:33 pm

I've noticed this several times now. Thankfully only on this one mob. It stands, starts casting and finishes faster than I can bash it... and I always bash instantaneously.

< 759h/813H 142v/142V T: Cherzra TC: few scratches E: priestess EC: few wounds>
You parry the priestess of Selune's lunge at you.
The priestess of Selune clambers to her feet.
bash
You barely slash the priestess of Selune.

< 760h/813H 142v/142V T: Cherzra TC: few scratches E: priestess EC: few wounds>
You block the priestess of Selune's attack with your shield!
The priestess of Selune starts casting an offensive spell.
The priestess of Selune completes her spell...
The priestess of Selune utters the words, 'parl xafe'
Gromikazer seems to be blinded!
The priestess of Selune sends Gromikazer reeling with a holy word.
You are sent reeling by the priestess of Selune's holy word.
OUCH! That really did HURT!
You miss the priestess of Selune with your slash.

< 563h/813H 142v/142V T: Cherzra TC: few wounds E: priestess EC: few wounds> Your bash at the priestess of Selune sends her sprawling.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:44 pm

Holy word is only 1 word, its pretty much instantaneous. Fight other casters with the ability to HW and I think you'll see the same thing, our clerics love the speed of that spell, course it hurts when your on the opposite end of it..;(
Belle

[This message has been edited by belleshel (edited 06-18-2001).]
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Mon Jun 18, 2001 8:36 pm

Just a suggestion Cherz, have Rivi toss stun spells occasionally at it if he's with you. That's not gonna keep it stunned for the whole fight, perhaps, but we've had good luck preventing that particular type of spell with it.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:23 pm

Hmmm... I notice that your bash doesn't come off until the end of the next round of combat. Usually when I send my bash command, my bash is right after the round in which the mob stands. Maybe your bash command isn't getting to the mud quick enough?

Also, Belle is correct in the word spells coming off instantly. HW, UHW, PWB all take no casting time whenever I've seen them cast. My suggestion is to 'time' your bashes. Usually mobs will stand after 3 rounds of combat, so just send your bash command after counting the second round. I usually can bash the mob within that third combat round if timed correctly. Just my suggestion...
gurzog
Sojourner

Postby gurzog » Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:31 pm

Looks like you lagged Cherzra.
Whole round of combat went through before your bash did.

< 759h/813H 142v/142V T: Cherzra TC: few scratches E: priestess EC: few wounds>
You parry the priestess of Selune's lunge at you.
The priestess of Selune clambers to her feet.
bash

-------Bash should have gone off here--------
< 760h/813H 142v/142V T: Cherzra TC: few scratches E: priestess EC: few wounds>
------Next round of combat--------
You block the priestess of Selune's attack with your shield!
The priestess of Selune starts casting an offensive spell.

But who knows, i've had strange things happen in combat, my necro once assisted and couldn't cast a spell for 5 rounds of combat and he didn't get kicked,spunched or bashed, my warrior has had similar things happen when i wasn't using any skills and wasn't getting kicked,spunched or bashed

Heh, didn't see your post before I posted namatoki....timing bashes is bad bad bad :P
'specially if the mob has to stay bashed, it doesn't happen often but sometimes mobs do not stand on that 3rd round, Cherzra just looked like he lagged before his bash went through

gurzog

[This message has been edited by gurzog (edited 06-18-2001).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:35 pm

It still started casting and finished in the same round, something I've never seen before.
gurzog
Sojourner

Postby gurzog » Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
It still started casting and finished in the same round, something I've never seen before.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nod
No chant at all on holy word, its instantaneous, although casting and having spell go off all between your shieldblock and your swings does seem a bit messed up
Hehe, I can just picture a couple !bash cleric mobs really ripping a group up :)
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
It still started casting and finished in the same round, something I've never seen before.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a problem in CC too, cause they like to word of recall... same problem.
Xizz
Sojourner

Postby Xizz » Mon Jun 18, 2001 10:57 pm

Kilopile you got the funniest suggestions. If a shaman is in the group you think he or she is going to be casting offensives that don't stun?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jun 19, 2001 2:47 am

Yeah, us clerics have a couple nifty 0 casting time spells.. holy/unholy word and word of recall Image
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Tue Jun 19, 2001 3:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xizz:
Kilopile you got the funniest suggestions. If a shaman is in the group you think he or she is going to be casting offensives that don't stun?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, if the shaman is you I fully expect him to hex the mob, blind it if necessary, and then throw every nuke he can as fast as he can, thereby not "occasionally" stunning it, like I suggested. As long as you don't run outta nukes, that's fine. If you do, it leaves the mob unstunned.

An alternate solution to this is to bring a coupla extra warriors specifically to shieldpunch, and thereby stun the mob... but I know you guys don't like having extra warriors.

Hey, isn't this one of those area spells that don't happen in your groups Rivi? When blind goes off group heal will clear it on everyone in the group... this can be critical to continue mob control. Also, ancestral shield will help reduce the damage (though holy word doesn't do mass damage, particularly).

[This message has been edited by Kiloppile (edited 06-19-2001).]
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Tue Jun 19, 2001 4:53 am

(begin frustration)

Cherzra and others,

I have noticed this exact same thing with _alarming_ frequency. It used to be a rare type of occurance, but it seems that the appropriate 'lag' times that a player would normally receive upon doing the same things a mob would... the mob does not get.. it's a HUGE problem, it causes deaths, even with stun it seems that the occasional mob command goes thru when it shouldnt... Im not sure if this particular case was a result of this -whatever it is- buggy thing. Looks like mobs can get off 3, 4, even 5 commands in the same tick while players would only be able to get one, or none.

Players have appropriate lag, some mobs do not. BUG!! Image

(end frustration.)

Nitania
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Tue Jun 19, 2001 10:45 am

That is a common occurence at the moment. But what happened here is possible for any player with a word spell.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Jun 19, 2001 11:07 am

Those attendants in Ice Crag are getting really annoying- today I paralyzed the siege master and ice priest's attendants, and on both occasions they continued to rescue their attendee. How noisome!!

Yayaril
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Tue Jun 19, 2001 12:10 pm

Incidentally, blind not working isn't exactly new... when invokers were first introduced blazing beam would give the blind message, but the mob would not change behavior in any way.

That and the fact that clerics could stack their blind on top of it was a hint.
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Wed Jun 20, 2001 6:14 am

The blind problem isn't new. I would always PWB mobs on Toril, and they could always rescue who they were following. Its almost as if the code for followers overrides the blind code.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jun 20, 2001 12:25 pm

Yeah, you can also PWB on top of blind currently.. saw this happen last night a few times.. not sure if that one is a bug though since PWB is a lot more powerful (supposedly).

Oh.. gonna post some odd things I've seen with stun in another thread too. Image

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 20, 2001 2:08 pm

Ok, having read SEVERAL rants in the last few days, here's a heads-up:

1. Cherzra's experience is not a bug. Spells like word of recall and holy word simply have about 0 cast time.

2. Logs like Nitania's in a different thread (regarding Captain Miplit walking away in the middle of a fight) is also not a bug. Players can do that as well and in fact, rogues can use it to great advantage to get in extra backstabs. This has been the case for as long as I can remember - 5 years.
It's a fact that after the tank flees, the PC/mob that the tank was fighting is technically regarded as unengaged, since his target is no longer there.

3. Mobs getting to incap and then getting up and walking away is also not a bug. It simply means that it healed at that particular tick back to -1 and was therefore no longer incap. Same thing can and does happen to players. The bug that we previously had was morted (not incap) mobs getting extra attacks on players. That bug has been eliminated.

4. There is, however, a bug that certain mob actions are not being appropriately lagged. For an example of this, see Jhorr's log of his entire group getting backstabbed in one round. We are aware of it and have begun to look into it. All I can say is please try to have some patience. At the moment, the coding corps consists of 5 people, one of whom is studying for the bar exam, and one of whom (me) hasn't had a chance to do much of anything in weeks due to RL constraints.

--D2, Code Co-Ord of Sojourn
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jun 20, 2001 2:23 pm

No prob D2.. we just want to make sure you guys are aware of the issues and that you'll look into them Image
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
<B>Yeah, you can also PWB on top of blind currently.. saw this happen last night a few times.. not sure if that one is a bug though since PWB is a lot more powerful (supposedly).

Oh.. gonna post some odd things I've seen with stun in another thread too. Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, you can pwb a mob that's already pwb'd. I believe this refreshes it.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”