The most Fun Class To Play.

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ulnd
Sojourner

The most Fun Class To Play.

Postby Ulnd » Sat Feb 24, 2001 11:08 pm

I think the funnest(is funnest a word???) class to play is a warrior. It's not too involved where you have to be fully alert to play at all times, and it's not totally boring like a bard(sorry bard people). The second best is a necro I'd say. That is, of course, after you create the thousands of triggers and alliases required. I remember playing a berserker way back in the days. Now THAT was fun. Anyways, lets hear it.

btw anyone here if Cralya is coming back?

Ulnd/Folrath
Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc
Sojourner

Postby Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc » Sun Feb 25, 2001 12:26 am

hrm... id have to say a tie between assassin and anti-paladin. you cant find a class any more fun to RP than those two (well, not if you are me :P)

Cir
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Feb 25, 2001 1:02 am

I spoke to Cralya the other day Ulnd, she said she had been reading the BBS here. If she's coming back or not....you'll find out I'm sure, I have no clue.

Yas
Zortan
Sojourner

Postby Zortan » Sun Feb 25, 2001 1:28 am

Do you need thousands of triggers and such to play a necro? played my drow necro to L48 on a plain telnet client with no triggers or anything except macros.... Image
-Zort
Zortan
Sojourner

Postby Zortan » Sun Feb 25, 2001 1:30 am

Oh btw most fun class for me was assassin... not too useful and I found it incredibly hard to get groups or exp after about L30 but it was an incredibly fun class
-Zort
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Sun Feb 25, 2001 1:49 am

Most fun class for me was my gnome cleric. Functionally speaking, I was just as good. Hp-wise, I had 1k+ with my own vit. In many aspects such as mem time and quick chant, he was better than most normal clerics. However, people just didn't seem to associate gnome with clerics =P Heheh.

Wargo/Gwubi
Ulnd
Sojourner

Postby Ulnd » Sun Feb 25, 2001 2:13 am

That is impressive. I can't imagine playing a necro with no triggers. It almost seems impossible {boggle}. Anyways, yeah clerics can be fun if you got good eq. Same with assassins. But if you don't have the best eq I still say a necro is the funnest
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Feb 25, 2001 2:44 am

Any class can be extremely fun depending on a few things:

1.)Who are you with?
2.)Are you any good at the class?
3.)Are you able to get into the character?
4.)Does the class give you the appropriate level of challenge you prefer for your current mood to have fun?

I had awesome awesome fun on all my characters, even my newbie ones when we would run rampaging around waterdeep late at night. I did however most frequently have the most fun playing Gormal (dwarf warrior) Because I would in some way roleplay him always...and he was a crazy bastard! Plus there's more time for fun and games playing a warrior imho when I wasn't having to vit/spellup a group.

Gormal
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Sun Feb 25, 2001 4:48 am

ya, basically if you are with Gormal, it wont be fun.

Tanras
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:13 am

Enchanter hands down.

You can solo shit if you want, and you are always in demand for groups.

And the spell setup were pretty nice.. I loved blink, dragonscales, reduce and pwb Image

/Jegzed
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:19 am

Enchanter or Invoker definilly!
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:52 am

Ulnd! I should have looked at who started this thread, I buzzed right by it a couple times Image

I hope you can drag yourself away from... uhhh rl concerns... and get back into Soj.

I've pretty much played every class on the MUD (although not to high levels in most cases) and I'd have to say my favorites by far are:

1. Thief (rogue now, I guess Image)
2. Cleric
3. Ranger

I can't really say why the thief was my favorite, but I really loved running around as a halfling stealing whatever I could. Maybe it's just the closest to my rl nature. Hmmm. Oh, and let's not forget darts. *cackle*

My cleric was cool because I liked the responsibility of keeping tanks alive. Nothing like pulling a late-nighter and having to take care of some crazy warrior (*cough* Gorvin). Besides, dwarven clerics are +1 bazillion style Image

My human ranger was awesome because he had the best stats of all the chars I rolled. If it hadn't been so hard to find a group with him, I'd probably have played him as high as my others. Don't ask me why nobody wanted to group with him. I think I was kind of a hermit ranger. They make those, right?

I think I'll probably be coming back as a rogue first, especially with all the plans to balance them. I'll finally have the chance to be a serious backstabber and pick pockets at the same time!

Harthorm/Twiblin
Ulnd
Sojourner

Postby Ulnd » Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:13 am

Coming back as a rogue again hey? {Chuckle} I guess we'll have to level your ass again Image jk. I hope that they did make the rogue class better cause those watching you throw them darts just wasn't doin it for me.
It'll be good to see you back on the game.

Ulnd/Folrath
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wargo:
<B>Most fun class for me was my gnome cleric. Functionally speaking, I was just as good. Hp-wise, I had 1k+ with my own vit. In many aspects such as mem time and quick chant, he was better than most normal clerics. However, people just didn't seem to associate gnome with clerics =P Heheh.

Wargo/Gwubi</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gotta agree w/ Wargo/Gwubi
I think i was the only other gnome cleric (Jindle) and it was interesting b/c if you're anon, nobody would think you're a cleric b/c you're a gnome Image that, and it was unique
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:01 pm

Definately gonna have to go with thief. I never got one to high levels, but I just had a blast stealing stuff and backstabbing mobs. I had a lot of fun with an elf thief way back before ranged combat and when circle was broken, had fun again with one more recently after stuff like trip was put in.

I obviously also had a lot of fun with rangers just finding neat ways to get new uses out of seemingly meager spells and skills and just watching my attack rate climb up as I went up in levels. Watching yourself get to the point where you get two attack every round due to dual and double attack working in tandem gives me a nice feeling of accomplishment.
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:19 pm

Ulnd, I don't know how many times you grouped with me when range was in, but darts were the shit! They got downgraded a bit, but still as good as archery Image Ask Gorvin how much we used to clean up on exp with my thief around hehe.

Harthorm/Twiblin
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Mon Feb 26, 2001 4:50 pm

Funniest?!

Halfling anything... come on! If you've never played a halfling, you're missing out.

I prefer a halfling thief or bard... omg.. good times!
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Mon Feb 26, 2001 5:34 pm

Enchanters...definitely...Vy was the most fun character I have ever played on any game anywhere.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Mon Feb 26, 2001 7:26 pm

most fun class? well it looks like i will be going out on a limb here -

barbarian warrior.

why? as a PC tank, you have to have combat skills honed, when not grouped, you practice your weapons skills, your defensive abilities, etc. you are relied on to rescue the weaker classes/races, and when the fight ends, and you win - who else in the group can say that they were in melee with a 40 foot giant. we go the distance, and have the scars to show for it.

-kwirl/thamas/dazok
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Feb 26, 2001 7:27 pm

Gotta go with ranger... I could pretend to be whatever I want, a fighter, a low level cleric or sorc... or... err... guess that's it. But still, nothin beats that feeling of 5 attacks per round while hasted. Image

Sarvis
imp
Sojourner

Postby imp » Mon Feb 26, 2001 8:39 pm

definitaly not the class that made things fun but the other ppl in group

/imp
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Mon Feb 26, 2001 10:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Originally by Kwirl-

most fun class? well it looks like i will be going out on a limb here -

barbarian warrior.

why? as a PC tank, you have to have combat skills honed, when not grouped, you practice your weapons skills, your defensive abilities, etc. you are relied on to rescue the weaker classes/races, and when the fight ends, and you win - who else in the group can say that they were in melee with a 40 foot giant. we go the distance, and have the scars to show for it.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barb warrior for goodie races, troll for evils. IMHO I think trolls are the best but hey, its me

Image Image
-Z

[This message has been edited by Zuurn Shatter Skull (edited 02-26-2001).]
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Mon Feb 26, 2001 10:29 pm

I think playing an OC sorc been funniest for more..
Playing Bibbe along all the trolls and ogres was fun.

Necro was loads of fun too. When u'r able to solo a lot and fool around with your undeads etc..

But as the social player i am would have to say Bibbe been the most fun. The fact that we was a lot of swedes playing together back than is prolly why too.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Feb 26, 2001 10:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bibbe:
<B>
Necro was loads of fun too. When u'r able to...fool around with your undeads etc..
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm... Interesting.

Anyhow, I wanted to chime in with my vote: Ranger. If monks were in, I'd go with that, but these wilderness scouts will do. Like sarvis said earlier, gaining extra hits grants a feeling of accomplishment. It's an eq-based class, so if you're into maxing out hit/dmg and stats (like me :P ) its great for that. Some useful skills and spells for exploration. Gotta mention archery: Its like walking around with a machine gun (with bullets that hit your friends). Last but not least, there's some great peeps out there who make up the rangers of sojourn and give it a 'family' feel.

Izzy

P.S. If monks were taken out 'cuz they had an eastern theme to them, rename them to 'boxers', give 'em all ugly faces and bring them back to Sojourn!

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 02-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 02-26-2001).]
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Mon Feb 26, 2001 10:58 pm

well the most dominant and most powerful class by far i gotta say is the Gnome Warrior, this class rocks beyond all comprehension. *Razz* Rymbie
Rymbie
Sojourner

Postby Rymbie » Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:05 pm

Two words -- Halfling Warrior! Image

Yeah, yeah, I know...it doesn't make sense at all, but it's fun as heck. Gnomie warriors like Dakirn are pretty snazzy, too...hehe. It's all about the RP, baby!

Rymbie/Shyarn
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Tue Feb 27, 2001 2:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tayros:
<B>Funniest?!

Halfling anything... come on! If you've never played a halfling, you're missing out.

I prefer a halfling thief or bard... omg.. good times!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all i have to say is Thurg Eat Halfling :-)
best class is assassin, gotta love those poisons =) and conjurer ellies baby

[This message has been edited by Thurg (edited 02-26-2001).]
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Wed Feb 28, 2001 6:49 am

Interesting that people didn't mention dwarf warriors as being fun (aside from gormal's brief allusion). I've always played a barbarian in the past, but I'm having serious reservations about committing myself to that suckful barb hometown (sorry maelgywn), especially if it's moved farther north due to new zones along the road to IC...

Would be interested in hearing some input from people who've played both barb and dwarf warriors as to which is more fun.

Regarding the fun of playing a barbarian warrior, well it's the best class I've played and I've played let's see: mid-level assassin (sharkskin gear, max eq), mid-level ranger (windsong, max eq), 50th lvl monk (crane and serpent circlet, max eq), mid-level druid (moderate eq), mid-lvl troll warrior (sucky eq), 50th lvl barb warrior (rockcrusher, max eq), and a high level paladin (avenger, max eq).

[This message has been edited by Ruhr (edited 02-28-2001).]
Galzar
Sojourner

Postby Galzar » Wed Feb 28, 2001 5:16 pm

sorry guys but i have to say a halfling zerker, way back when zerkers where in, those where fun Image but as the mud is today it is the paladin.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Mar 01, 2001 5:45 pm

Maybe I'm biased but *cough* Druids are pretty fun, if you can get over the whole not-leveling thing. At around 30, I solo CR'd a 49 paladin using mentals, running for my life, and wording.
Zogur
Sojourner

Postby Zogur » Thu Mar 01, 2001 6:20 pm

Hafta agree with da zerker people. Playing a zerker rocked way back. Them songs, zerker mode and headbutt at 25 really rocked.
I think I never got over the conversion to warrior with sucky stats. (Do people that old still play??).

To answer that dorfie question... its not much different (fun-wise) from a barb, part from being different than all those barbies. Stats not too bad (especially con and str) and if ye dont RP, who cares bout headbut never works (I do!).

Zogur/Kryga/Krob/Krabat
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:08 pm

I can back up Zortan about his playin necro high lvl w/o triggers...
Zort you there??? oh ya sorry missed it to spamy lol

drow voker damage
troll war rulllzzzzzz
ogre sham what was question again?
clerics can solo stuff... cant they? Image
Zold
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:15 am

Glad Ruhr started this discussion. On Toril Barb and Dwarf warriors were fairly balanced overall but I give Barb the advantage. Dwarf warriors were important for the Archivist early on because size was important for bashing *wink Mithlin* but not anymore unfortunately. Dwarves could get eaten by a jot remorhaz *Oof*. Barbs had a long walk but, who cares it's just a walk, and it didn't matter so much once they took the wind out. Racial constitution and strength were the same. As of last boot I think only Dwarves could wield Rockcrusher but it was downgraded and skullsmasher was favored in zones anyway. But, the quest is fun to do. Barbs had bodyslam which especially ruled in manscorpions. Barbs could tank jot remorhaz. And only Barbs could wear a certain piece of equipment *no blabbing Waelos!* so at the end of Sojourn 2 at least they could achieve higher hit/dam. I remember at one point Barbs could even wear dbones. Barbs could go evil and not aggro their hometown but evil Dwarves were outcast. Hrmm what else. Barbs can CR the Kralgar Hall but Dwarves can't. If Dwarves had outdoor sneak that would be fun but they don't have it. Dwarf warriors are more fun to RP imo though. Guess it depends on what you're into but I think they're both fun.
Koric
Sojourner

Postby Koric » Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jhorr:
Glad Ruhr started this discussion. On Toril Barb and Dwarf warriors were fairly balanced overall but I give Barb the advantage. Dwarf warriors were important for the Archivist early on because size was important for bashing *wink Mithlin* but not anymore unfortunately. Dwarves could get eaten by a jot remorhaz *Oof*. Barbs had a long walk but, who cares it's just a walk, and it didn't matter so much once they took the wind out. Racial constitution and strength were the same. As of last boot I think only Dwarves could wield Rockcrusher but it was downgraded and skullsmasher was favored in zones anyway. But, the quest is fun to do. Barbs had bodyslam which especially ruled in manscorpions. Barbs could tank jot remorhaz. And only Barbs could wear a certain piece of equipment *no blabbing Waelos!* so at the end of Sojourn 2 at least they could achieve higher hit/dam. I remember at one point Barbs could even wear dbones. Barbs could go evil and not aggro their hometown but evil Dwarves were outcast. Hrmm what else. Barbs can CR the Kralgar Hall but Dwarves can't. If Dwarves had outdoor sneak that would be fun but they don't have it. Dwarf warriors are more fun to RP imo though. Guess it depends on what you're into but I think they're both fun.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ruh-roh.. think talz has infected jhorr's mind! do i sense defection?
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:42 am

Barbs smell bad.
Gormal smells Kajib, as if trying to detect some scent.
Dwarves could possibly use some extra innate to help them compete with barbs from a balancing standpoint since they dont get to headbutt (the 2% of mobs doesnt count) and they get eaten alot Image Dwarves need innate bellyslam...equivilent of bodyslam. but the more ale you have drank the more damage you do. Drunk dwarves will rule the world.

You tell Touk 'crap my flagon is empty time to do Jot rq.'
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:31 am

Jhorr,

RE: the rockcrusher downgrade, did it become almost useless? Old stats, as I recall, were perm-haste, +6+6 4d10, proc-bash.

I'll have to admit, this weapon is one major enticement to play a dwarf, however, if rockcrusher does sucketh now, then I'm not sure if it's worth the convinence of a closer home town (also, doing the quest is a pain, as too many people know about it, etc...)

I forgot about the dwarven succeptibility to rhemoraz(es), that does suck, as jot is a frequently done zone, not to mention IC vault...

Bodyslam is fun as hell also...
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Mar 02, 2001 7:08 am

Well, the rhemos in IC weren't a problem since they didn't eat you whole. I think that some people take infra for granted though. It's not as flashy as bodyslam, but it really comes in useful when you need to do a CR but don't want to use a torch just yet cause it'll die by the time you get to your corpse or if you want to sneak by something in the dark that doesn't sense life and can just remove your light sources and shuffle on by if you know where you're going. Making headbutt have an effect even if you're a bit short would be neat though seeing as how having a dwarf's forehead slam into an ogre's crotch still has to hurt the ogre =p
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Fri Mar 02, 2001 8:08 am

Rockcrusher only kept the mob down for like 1 round, skullsmasher was for about 3-4, like bodyslam, but couldn't bash giants like crusher could. But, skullsmasher ruled brass and hell, crusher didn't bash those mobs as I remember. Who knows what Rockcrusher will be all about this wipe until someone does the quest which, as you said, will take a long time even if it isn't changed. Who knows what its stats will be - but I wouldn't count on it being hasted. Even so, it's not such a great reason to play a dwarf since stats on items can change at any time, as we all know. I remember item stats being really jacked at the end of Soj 2, like noxious fumes being -7 max_con *cough*. That item was rendered unworthy of the effort to obtain it like so many others. I got one and just kept it in my bag which is a crying shame imho.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”