I'm tired of this shit

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Wobb2
Sojourner

I\'m tired of this shit

Postby Wobb2 » Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:40 am

btw, the forgot your password section doesn't work so I had to register another name but this is the REAL wobb...

started with full hps, skip to past log for thoughts

An effreeti palace guard slashes you extremely hard.
OUCH! That really did HURT!
< 781h/912H 140v/142V T: Wobb TC: small wounds E: effreeti EC: excellent> kill guard

You stagger from a fearsome slash from an effreeti palace guard!
You block an effreeti palace guard's attack with your shield!
You dodge an effreeti palace guard's vicious attack.
You miss an effreeti palace guard with your slash.
You barely slash an effreeti palace guard.
You parry an effreeti palace guard's lunge at you.
A mighty slash from an effreeti palace guard makes you contemplate a new career!
You gasp in pain from an effreeti palace guard's awesome slash!
< 265h/912H 140v/142V T: Wobb TC: pretty hurt E: effreeti EC: few scratches> Ruta staggers from a fearsome beat from an effreeti palace guard!
C'mon, you are doing it all the time!
< 265h/912H 140v/142V T: Wobb TC: pretty hurt E: effreeti EC: few scratches>

died, then i failed res..not my night, since it's in brass I had to sit around and wait for my god damn group to get off the plane. Nothing like logging on a GAME to fucking sit on my ass for an hour doing NOTHING. I think its time to say something:

OK that is the last fucking straw. I've kept my mouth fairly shut and I've always tried to help other people and help this mud but this place is going to shit.

I don't care what you do or what becomes of this post I am completely disgusted with the changes that have come about. Everything from shaman downgrades to the point my wife doesn't even want to play hers anymore to the part where warriors cannot tank for shit. Everything hits you like a fucking truck and blur/stone all that shit doesn't matter. If the changes that have occured are to balance things that haven't entered the game I am in disbelief that staff would implement things this way.

On the other side of the waters. Look at the player fluctuations, look at the old schoolers who have left and the people who have deleted. Is it just time for me to leave? I don't want to, I have so much fun. But not when I have to spend all my freaking time doing mindless EXP to make up for death loss so I can go back and zone again. I took a break and came back and the place just gets worse.

Fucking stop it. People play a game because its a game. We are not reaching for fucking reality we play and log on because it feels great to cast an area spell and have it hit every mob in the room. It feels great to live through a pounding. It feels great to accomplish things we have in the past. People came back to play what was, now it's something else.

Wobb

PS. Sorry for lack of constructive feedback but i'm pissed if you couldn't tell. Been playing here for over 5 years, as have many, just thought I'd voice my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Wobb2 (edited 10-22-2001).]
Nugg
Sojourner

Postby Nugg » Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:43 am

Yes I agree.

An effreeti palace guard recognizes you, and charges to attack you!
< 546h/835H 192v/192V T: Nugg TC: few wounds E: effreeti EC: few scratches>
Gromikazer group-says 'I have 173 (982) hits, and 118 (119) movement points.'
< 546h/835H 192v/192V T: Nugg TC: few wounds E: effreeti EC: few scratches> A mighty slash from an effreeti palace guard makes you contemplate a new career!
You gasp in pain from an effreeti palace guard's awesome slash!
PANIC! You couldn't escape!
An effreeti palace guard barely slashes you.
An effreeti palace guard enshrouds you in a mist of blood with his deadly slash!
An effreeti palace guard half kills you with his mighty slash!
YIKES! Another hit like that, and you've had it!!
You wish that your wounds would stop BLEEDING so much!

You're busy spellcasting!
Your vision spins into darkness as your head falls towards the ground.
With a final blow, you feel yourself falling to the ground.
Your soul leaves your body in the cold sleep of death...
The world starts spinning, and your ears are ringing!
Your flesh loses it's stony texture.
Your vitality drains away.
Earthbound again.
You abort your prayer before its done!
Yer slots memorized are fubared. Fixing it, but if this happens oft, report
this to an admin, please.

*** Welcome to Sojourn ***

0) Leave Faerun for a Time.
1) Enter the realms of Sojourn.
2) See who is currently playing.
3) Read the background story.
4) Change your password.
5) Enter your character description.
6) Delete this character.

Make your choice: 1

You rejoin the land of the living...
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:54 am

welcome to the new sojourn wobb!

where you now need three times as many differnt classes in a group to zone or xp effectively, yet the pbase is half of what it used to be.

do like the rest of us and roll a paladin. they are the real tanks after all.
Frobakhal
Sojourner

Postby Frobakhal » Mon Oct 22, 2001 7:10 am

Can't say I've experienced zoning in brass for soj3...but I hell sure know that durring toril they didn't do that MUCH damage, especially with stoneskin still up. I came here to soj3 for the same reason people seem to be leaving. I got tired of downgrades and from all the hype soj3 had, I left to play here. I'm ashamed to almost be playing here if this is suppose to be open when there obviously still needed room for ptesting. I can only hope that the gods balance the game out soon and don't fall the same route of 'quick fixes, disabling certain skills in order to maintain some degree of balance' as some of you will likely note how this has occured on some of the other muds that use to be a part of sojourn and turned 'sour'.

Let's bring back some of what sojourn use to have into the game. That is classes that actually were fun to play, not unbalanced as they are, causing players to just abandon the mud and leave. I'm sure they will come back, and the issue with dwindling evils will change once these issues are looked into and fixed.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Oct 22, 2001 7:24 am

Heh..

a) Brass mobs always hit like a ton of bricks.. except now you cant twink it with a 1000 hp wraith tanking for you.

b) Yes, its a game, and its meant to be fun. But theres nothing fun about an easy game. How many people do you know are addicted to tic-tac-toe?

c) The problem here was the failed res. Period. There is absolutely nothing fun about sitting around for a couple hours because you failed a res and theres no way back into the zone. This should be addressed. Either !teleport zones should be rethought, or perhaps failed res's should mean you dont get exp back, but still get to pop back into your corpse.

Personally, I have never been a fan of the !teleport zone. And i think its unfortunate that many of the newer zones have this feature. People here shouldn't ever feel like that cannot stop playing at a certain point. We have work, school, spouses, etc, that demand our time also. When a group goes to a !teleport zone you demand from each member a commitment that they will stay on as long as necessary to finish. Be it 20 minutes, or sometimes hours (if theres a spank and you need to cr). That just doesn't seem fair.. or healthy.

Corth
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Oct 22, 2001 12:26 pm

Corth.. about your point C.

Failed res is one of the big reasons myself and dornax posted a while ago about having revive be able to work on failed corpses.. that way you can get the person back to a !tele zone, even if its without the xp. I don't think this would unbalance stuff, but it would certainly make a lot of people happer about doing !tele zones.

One other thing.. I would -SWEAR- that the room north of pada that people use to res is modified for higher failure. I see corpse failure rates around 33%, whereas the failure rates I've seen in other zones are under 10%.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:07 pm

Good one Anon. We all know you re-registered as Wobb2 so that people will take you slightly serious. You almost had me fooled!

Yayaril
Wobb2
Sojourner

Postby Wobb2 » Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:28 pm

Yayaril, no this is the real wobb. You can ask an admin on the IP log if you are really paranoid. Unfortunately not enough people remember me as Vurad to prove my point but nonetheless...

I agree, (corth) that the game should NOT be easy....its the difficulty that draws people...the challenge...

but you are also correct about zones, no one should have to sit around waiting for their group to finish, just because a zone in no teleport. The idea (rylan) that you should still get back to your body, even if you fail exp gain is a great one...

let's see that implemented.

Wobb

[This message has been edited by Wobb2 (edited 10-22-2001).]
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:43 pm

i dont zone much but i am in full agreement with wobb, one would think by the time a warrior gets to be 45 he should be a badass, not the case it seems
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:56 pm

That was already suggested. All the players agreed. Shev said it was an awesome idea, and that it would probably be implemented. We can only assume what's going on, of course, and talk about things that don't exist or might exist... it's not much fun playing in this fantasy realm of conjecture, is it? Gotta love all those posts on the development board telling us what's up so we won't have to.

-Todrael, also not in the best of moods
taelin
Sojourner

Postby taelin » Mon Oct 22, 2001 9:08 pm

ok I KNOW that Brass mobs always dropped a ton of damage but that is completely insane. That stoneskin didn't do a damn thing, and the reason is completely obvious. Efreet have inordinate strength. Couple this with the new crit code and you have a chance to crit high enough that you can guarantee a blow landing through stone at least once if not twice per round. couple this with a mob that crits for 200+ damage and you make a large number of zones into big exp sinks.
In a game where res ALWAYS works this would be bad, funny how those 5% permenant exp losses pile up. However we have res fails here. 25% exp loss adds up a LOT faster.

Best solution short term? Make crit/extra attack code effect players only. Incidentally, if you wondered which was more powerful, crit or extra hit... heres a good arguement.

Just my take on the evidence.
Taelin
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Oct 22, 2001 10:26 pm

Good one, you're still not fooling me, Anon! You may have hoodwinked the rest of the bbs into thinking you're Wobb, but I can see through your ruse! Don't think you've won yet!

Yayaril
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:10 am

For the record, I got crit for almost 600 hp in a single hit, through stone (I think it was in Brass, but can't remember atm). That seems a bit excessive.
With the advent of PC only tanking and dowgrade of all weapons, the twinkability of zones has been greatly lessened, thus making we as PC's take more damage and more importantly, notice it happen more often.
The critting through stoneskin for 600 hp needs to be looked at or at least reconsidered.
btw, this is still in BETA.

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:00 am

Even with 1k hp wraiths brass was still a challenge. remember the group was easily over 15 people, most of them warriors+monks+rangers (depending on align), sorcs, clerics. heck we had globe assignes cause of all the hitters. and still the clerics had to pile on the fh's on the wraiths tanking. we didnt have dscales, or blur, or displacement. yet we have these now, and mobs have been made even more powerful. maybe too powerful. typical padashaw fight - troll with 1.2k hp, send, run in spam fh hope he dont die in 2 rounds or hope that clerics dont miss quick chant. that's crap.

it's a problem in any zone, since the mobs in most zones are level 55+ and have uber stats. possible solutions: (?)

1) make dscales level 41 spell. it does make a slight difference. move constrict to 10th to compensate. i can live another circle without an offensive spell.

2) make the extra crit from uber strength PC side only. mobs hit hard enough as it was without this code when we were pc tanking last wipe, they didnt need any more help.

3) get rid of !teleport in all but zones that actually benefit from it in a story sense (UM, UM2) folks gotta sleep, any leader should be able to change their gorup makeup on the fly if folks have to go to sleep or the dog just peed on their keyboard or their kid just threw up on the cat.

4) Up shieldblock. after over a week of collecting data on both my warrior and my anti flankblock hits as a higher percentage compared to shieldblock, a good 15% more, while both warriors and paladins parry/dodge/riposte at about the same. shieldblock hardly hits on mobs higher level than the warrior. before the bug was fixed it wasnt any easier to tank shit in brass, maybe gained two or three rounds more.

i'd have more, but other posts to read before i sleep
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Oct 23, 2001 5:40 am

I have to disagree..

Brass has been done plenty of times this wipe. Some of the eq there is best-in-game, or quest item for best-in-game. In particular, that zone is easy for evils who can bash the mobs. If the zone was so difficult that you risked a spank 50% of the time you go there or something, id say make it easier, but thats just not the case. Leave the zone alone and make that change to revive.

Corth
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 23, 2001 6:33 am

Bullshit bullshit bulllllllshit!

2 fails today in my last 3 resses 0 fails in my previous 20 or so 96 nat troll con. im not stupid enough to say its connected, but some god asked folks to petition about corpses and fails then i suddenly start failing.

gawd that sucks. oh ya, 2nd fail was in roots !teleport. bullshit! To top it off, also had a corpse rot during a nasty cr. damn. Just an unlucky day for me and exp or what?
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:15 am

1. Please make that change to revive soon.

2. I don't think abilities are likely to get much in the way of upgrades until after at least elementalists are in. I think things are being pre-geared for their uberness...

Vadian
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Tue Oct 23, 2001 12:15 pm

There is a huge difference between hard and just silly. Brass is in some serious need of a overhaul. Mobs in the city, and more stuff around. As it is.. run to one fight, run to the next, one more and leave the zone.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Oct 23, 2001 12:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Galok Icewolf:
There is a huge difference between hard and just silly. Brass is in some serious need of a overhaul. Mobs in the city, and more stuff around. As it is.. run to one fight, run to the next, one more and leave the zone. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remove the !teleport part of it, OR fix revive to work on failed ress corpses..

/Jegzed
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:03 pm

Revive fixed as requested. Please drive through. Image
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:54 pm

Can I get fries with that Cyric?

Thanks!

Toplack
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:04 pm

Nice turn around time Cyric, thanks alot that will make alot of places more tolerable.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:07 pm

No fries.. I want some tater tots! Image
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:10 pm

Sonic tater-tots are the best!
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Tue Oct 23, 2001 4:09 pm

Ok so now it is set up that if a corpse failes res you can revive it and just be back in body???

Grintor says

3) get rid of !teleport in all but zones that actually benefit from it in a story sense (UM, UM2) folks gotta sleep, any leader should be able to change their gorup makeup on the fly if folks have to go to sleep or the dog just peed on their keyboard or their kid just threw up on the cat.

Why would you commit to a zone or a group KNOWING that it could get messy and take hours if you have to watch your kid or sleep or stuff like that? I understand emergencies and unexpected stuff..but dont commit if you cant finish...or let ppl know ahead of time what your limitations are instead of just saying 2 minutes b4 u have to go that your leaving.

i remember when they started making zones !teleport..thats from back when ppl would just well in and out at random twittering around and bothering groups or even sometimes ppl would well in and drag a group in with em to try to take the zone... I dunno about taking out !teleport...maybe just put one room in the zone, in a central location that you can teleport into... leaves room for cr's and getting ppl back to where they need to be and yet still keeps it so that its not exactly easy to get ppl back immediatly

i dunno maybe im just babbling
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Oct 23, 2001 5:29 pm

nods.. if you fail res, then you can still be revived. You lose the XP, but you can get back to the group/zone. Image

As for !teleport.. yeah, I -do- totally understand why some zones were made like this.. people would run past some mobs, and teleport the group to the eq mobs and stuff, bypassing a lot of the other hard and dangerous parts of the zone.

However, I also do think there should be some rooms in the zones that allow teleports, so you can get people out that have to go for some reason, and get new people in to replace those that had to leave.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:10 pm

Yes, there should definitely be one room in the zone where you can drop a sitter and have replacements well in/out. I thought there already was, maybe that was somewhere else.

- Ragorn
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:18 am

i was told during alpha that a certain oldschool player was revamping brass...i saw him online the other day. Is this still true or has that project been nerfed? I think it would be hella fun to do a redo on brass if he's still not doing it!
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:33 am

*Why would you commit to a zone or a group KNOWING that it could get messy and take hours if you have to watch your kid or sleep or stuff like that? I understand emergencies and unexpected stuff..but dont commit if you cant finish...or let ppl know ahead of time what your limitations are instead of just saying 2 minutes b4 u have to go that your leaving.*

a valid point baikalisan, however shit happens and in no hell way is this game gonna take precedence over real life. ever. i will never ever be late for work cause i had to be up till 4am to get my corpse, i'll let it rot and i almost did recently.
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Fri Oct 26, 2001 6:57 pm

Which is why, Grintor, i said...... Let the group know your limitations b4 you accept a position in it.

A leader will be much less apt to get pissed off at somebody who said " I might have to go at any minute cause my job might call me, or cuz my kid might puke on me " than somebody who just out of the blue say..gee i know we in this !teleport zone and you cant replace me very easily but i gotta go diddle around doing whatever you so happen to need to diddle..

shrug has always been a pet peeve of mine to get a group going, weather xp or eq, and have that one person who gets in there gets to the zone and then leaves within 5 rooms with normally a bullshit excuse...

ahh well

do what ya gotta do
Cerlayne
Sojourner

Postby Cerlayne » Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:17 pm

"A leader will be much less apt to get pissed off at somebody who said " I might have to go at any minute cause my job might call me, or cuz my kid might puke on me " than somebody who just out of the blue say..gee i know we in this !teleport zone and you cant replace me very easily but i gotta go diddle around doing whatever you so happen to need to diddle.."

correct me if i'm wrong here... but since i have 4 kids who could conceivably *puke... fall off a chair and crack a skull open... swallow some neat tiny object.. at any point in time* that i should announce this to any leader before i agree to do any zone??? just in case an emergency happens??? please tell me i'm reading your posts wrong...

if not i guess i should let all poss leaders out there know that i have a real life that takes precedence to this game... be careful taking me along because i may have to go afk for 2 mins when the lil one falls off his bunk bed... oh and when i go back to work after rehab for my surgery i should probably let leaders know that i need my job to pay my rent... just so they understand why i have to log after i committed 6 hours for what should have been a 2 hour zone...

anyways... my lil rant for the month.. i'm sure i read your posts the wrong way and took them way too seriously... my apologies...

Cerlayne 'SwordDancer' L'ytria
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Oct 27, 2001 2:35 am

Yes, Cerlayne, you must approxiamate the odds of any of those things happening and give the group leader a run down in chart format. For instance, when I join a group- I simply imput a command that sends ZMUD into a speil, telling the group leader the following things:

Hello, my name is Yayaril. For such reasons as to not cause your group any more inconvenience than necessary, I have created a chart of possible distractions to my game play. These distractions may or may not render your group effective during the said zoning period. Each minute of the zoning period will be subjected to each of the following distractions.

Television:
1 in 3 chance

Room mate talking to me:
1 in 12 chance

Knock on door:
1 in 63 chance

Call on phone:
1 in 143 chance

Explosive flatulance:
1 in 352 chance

Spilling Mountain Dew on my keyboard:
1 in 781 chance

Linkdeath:
1 in 1,832 chance

Spraining a finger:
1 in 5,281 chance

Sudden Heart Attack:
1 in 49,310 chance

Epileptic Fit:
1 in 91,502 chance

Getting hit by meteor:
1 in 173,121 chance

Spontaneous Human Combustion:
1 in 482,869 chance

Sun explodes:
1 in 32,981,432,857 chance

Girl calls me for a date:
1 in 42,758,291,125 chance

I am sincerely apologetic if any of above said happenings happen. If such a happenstance happens whilst the zoning is happening, please forgive me, a haphazard chap. Thanks you.

Yayaril
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Oct 27, 2001 3:19 am

Lol yaya.. glad to see you've still kept that rockin sense of humor Image
Kazibblie
Sojourner

Postby Kazibblie » Sat Oct 27, 2001 4:05 am

Yaya rocks!
I'm still giggling.

Kaz
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Oct 27, 2001 5:14 am

yaya, if any female mudder calls u, dont believe they are really males.
Cerlayne
Sojourner

Postby Cerlayne » Sat Oct 27, 2001 5:39 am

yaya.. rofl rofl.. you yet again are too funny for words... but geesh let a wounded drugged up lady rant a lil.. geeesh.. grin... i swore i'd limit my rantings to once a month so i'd still be sweet and innocent.. *halo*

Cerlayne *The Angel* L'ytria
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Oct 27, 2001 9:39 am

Spilling Mountain Dew on my keyboard:
0 in 1 chance

fucking japanese don't drink dew. I swear not a damn drop in all of japan.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Sat Oct 27, 2001 2:14 pm

Try finding root beer in England. Not easy! Ginger beer just doesn't compare!

Vadian
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Oct 27, 2001 6:53 pm

Mmmm.. root beer. *lick*
That stuff is all over the place around me Image
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Sun Oct 28, 2001 2:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
<B>Mmmm.. root beer. *lick*
That stuff is all over the place around me Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*whimper*

Actually, I'm lucky enough to have a source for root beer myself, but the general populace in the UK is sadly bereft of the pleasures of its rooty goodness.

Vadian
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Sun Oct 28, 2001 5:21 pm

Tic-tac-toe (master) 100.
bigpimping@tictactoe.com
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Oct 29, 2001 9:13 pm

I'm with Lyt on that chances are, these weren't crits. Some mobs just hit for ridiculous amounts of damage period. In any case, whatever the cause of tank body parts universally winding up as interior decoration in brass, it's not quite right for them to be able to consistently go through dscales.
ShaylaRose
Sojourner

Postby ShaylaRose » Mon Oct 29, 2001 9:45 pm

[This message has been edited by ShaylaRose (edited 10-30-2001).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 30, 2001 12:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sok:
yaya, if any female mudder calls u, dont believe they are really males. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Secret of his success: never give a straight answer. He hasn't for about 4 years now. I dimly remember when he used to... he got a lot less replies. Image

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”