Relocate and a Flipping a Coin

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
retark2
Sojourner

Relocate and a Flipping a Coin

Postby retark2 » Fri Jan 11, 2002 4:59 pm

Staff:

Has relocate been changed? It seems as if there is an at best 50/50 chance of failing the spell and teleporting all over hell's half acre.

This seems pretty useless to me since most people won't risk casting the spell unless it is in a safe area anyway. This amounts to nothing but wasted time after failing the spell, waiting for the spell lag to clear, rememming it, casting it, failing it, waiting for lag to clear, rememming it, casting it and then MAYBE actually hitting your target.

I think it was fine the way it was before. The chance for fail was already enough to prevent relocates from dangerous zones.

-retark

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by retark2:
<B>Staff:

Has relocate been changed? It seems as if there is an at best 50/50 chance of failing the spell and teleporting all over hell's half acre.

This seems pretty useless to me since most people won't risk casting the spell unless it is in a safe area anyway. This amounts to nothing but wasted time after failing the spell, waiting for the spell lag to clear, rememming it, casting it, failing it, waiting for lag to clear, rememming it, casting it and then MAYBE actually hitting your target.

I think it was fine the way it was before. The chance for fail was already enough to prevent relocates from dangerous zones.

-retark</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Relocate hasn't been changed literally for years.
retark2
Sojourner

Postby retark2 » Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:08 pm

Ok, thanks.

I'm probably just subconsciously causing myself to fail relocate lately because everytime I try to relocate to Dartan he tries to touch me in that "special" way.

-retark
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:52 pm

i posted a week ago, relocate went from failing 1 out of 10 to failing 5 out of 10 about a week and a half ago. no death/level or skill loss involved. I think something changed or at a certain skill level you fail more often than you did at a lower skill level.
Snizzle
Sojourner

Postby Snizzle » Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:15 pm

I concur, relocate misses are happening more often. I started coping with it by gating smoke first, if I am in even a moderately dangerous zone. Hasnt slowed me much, other than the gate to smoke added to travel.

Sniz
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:17 pm

I've been whining about it since I got relocate in soj2.

Failure seems to rates INCREASE with skill in teleportation.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:44 pm

enjoy that all spells are beginning to suck...its cleric syndrome.
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:53 pm

I would like to add something. If many complaints about relocate failing happen, why hasn't the % of fail rate been changed? Also as a evil our vokers/chanters have become a huge transportation network more then goodies since we are much smaller in people. They cast it twice or 3 times as much as goodies I know from experience. Druids always seem to be around to well Image just how it is, can't say the same for our squids.

Rokub
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:00 pm

I actually did make a *small* change to relocate ealy this wipe which stopped the random relos due to an un-relocatable target. There's some chance that got overwritten accidentally though, and I will check it out.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 12, 2002 12:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B>I've been whining about it since I got relocate in soj2.

Failure seems to rates INCREASE with skill in teleportation.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The teleportation skill and the failure of relocate have nothing to do with each other. While it's not a bad idea, in its current state, your skill does not factor into the failure equation at all.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:01 am

Hmm.. does spellcast teleport actually do anything then, since it isn't used for the failure calculation?
Axxsinlazzam
Sojourner

Postby Axxsinlazzam » Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:17 am

Sniff, Comfort...
Sorry bout not being online rokub.
I my Ptime is 11:00 am - 1:00 pm EST
On the weekends I play when i can.
If ya see me online send a tell, Shiftin will only cost ya 10 P. 25 if I have to find a target for ya! -= Smily Face =-

Just playing about the plat! just agree to be my minion and i'll shift ya for free :P

The Axx
___
\_/------
The Ularithid of the Blood Raiders.
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
Hmm.. does spellcast teleport actually do anything then, since it isn't used for the failure calculation?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, now I'm wondering...should I even prac my teleport skill?
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:54 am

i'm sure teleportation still affects gate.

when i first got gate i had never bothered to notch/prac teleportation, even though i had dim for 20 levels.

my first 4 gates failed. not interrupted, just 'failed to open' message.

if you afraid to relocate, get a pfg item, gate smoke, reloc from there.
Dizzin
Sojourner

Postby Dizzin » Sat Jan 12, 2002 3:16 am

uhhh.. Teyaha, The reason your gates "failed to open" was because you were in a !gate room.

-Tre'Verien
Narial
Sojourner

Postby Narial » Sat Jan 12, 2002 5:30 am

[This message has been edited by Narial (edited 01-12-2002).]
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Jan 12, 2002 5:31 am

no no silly man. the first two or three gates in the same room failed to open, rest opened. i never moved rooms.
Maladryn
Sojourner

Postby Maladryn » Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teyaha:
no no silly man. the first two or three gates in the same room failed to open, rest opened. i never moved rooms.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If a gate 'fails to open' it is because you were in a !teleport room, just like Dizzin said. You simply cannot receive that message in a gateable room. At least after casting hundreds of them and playing with literally tens of other sorcs who've also casted hundreds of gates, I'd say the number I've personally witnessed is 10,000 at a minimum and this has never happened. Spellcast teleportation is useless as of right now but SHOULD be used for failure rate.

retark

You must just be having a bad streak right now, I almost never fail relo. Has to be an isolated incident of the dice being against you right now hehe Image
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:59 am

umm, when my gf first got gate she failed like 1 or 2 with the gate fails to open message. after she got a few skill improves she never failed again. her teleportation skill was unused prior to receiving gate and for the most part unpracticed. she never cast dim, teleport, or any others... perhaps the lack of failures is due to having cast those spells and practiced the skill to a reasonable level pre 41, i think she was like 15 skill in teleport at 41.

>You must just be having a bad streak right now, I almost never fail relo. Has to be an isolated incident of the dice being against you right now hehe

i know that was directed at retark, but she also still fails at least 25% of her relocates (it got better, it was horrible for couple days easily 50% but she still fails far more than she used to). Thats a pretty incredible bad streak since its has lasted 2 plus weeks... so far.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 01-15-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:56 am

Yeah I agree with Kiryan. The chances of relocate being successful is very dependent on the teleportation skill.

Corth
Ex
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:52 pm

oops corth, i think you misread the above post. it was in response to some folks saying gate can never fail to open unless your in a !gate room not the relocate spell/failure.

im pretty sure you can fail gates with very low teleportation skill as my gf failed a couple gates when she first got the spell and yes she was in a gateable room. i never bothered to give her cash to practice skills so by the time she was 41 the only skills she had over 20 were like invocation, enchantment, and spec.

im still boggled by kia posting that teleport skill has nothing to do with relocate failure.
retark2
Sojourner

Postby retark2 » Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:40 pm

Something either has been fixed or it all WAS just bad luck, as I've been successfully completing relocates at a much better rate lately.

Kiryan,

Maladryn and the others are right. It is impossible to fail a gate unless you 1) are in a !gate room or 2) something I have done 100 times: type "cast 'gate' ethreal" or "cast 'gate' etherael....i.e. mistype the plane you are trying to hit. That will give you the message that you are describing.

-Retark
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:18 pm

ok i could be wrong, it was my wife after all (i keep forgetting we are married now), but let me ask this. have you seen the code? if not, have you been told directly by someone who has? if not then please enlighten me on the basis you would make a statement such that it is "impossible to fail". Just because you never failed and no one you know ever failed in 10 years doesnt mean it cant happen. how many level 41 mages you know with 15 skill in teleport?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:12 am

her stats for today

relocated 14 times, failed 6x

thats abnormal... or actually its about normal since 2 weeks ago.
Maladryn
Sojourner

Postby Maladryn » Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>her stats for today

relocated 14 times, failed 6x

thats abnormal... or actually its about normal since 2 weeks ago.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is my skill:

spellcast teleportation (very good) (85)

I can't remember the last time I failed relo, but I've cast probably 10 successful in a row without a failure... possibly more.

Maladryn
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:51 pm

kia already said spellcast tele doesnt factor in on relocate failure her skills now are quite advanced. she failed the gates when she was spell cast tele 15

spell cast teleportation 93 master

last night she failed may 3 out of 12.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 01-16-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:09 am

I have 100s of playdays between my sorc on toril and illus on soj3. I have never ever seen a gate to a valid plane (air/ethereal,etc) fail when cast in a teleportable room. This doesn't mean its impossible to fail a gate under those circumstances. But given the amount of times ive casted the spell, i would say that its fairly certain you can't fail the spell.

Corth

p.s. this isn't to say you can't screw up chanting it and abort like any other spell in your highest circle.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:11 pm

how many gates you cast with 15 skill in spellcast telport? anyhow im prolly wrong doesnt really matter anyways.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 01-17-2002).]
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:41 pm

Kiryan-

I'm seeing the approximate same number of relo failures that your wife seems to be seeing.

Does she also seem to fail resses more often than most people? Cause I do that too, wondering if we're noticing the effects of the mythical luck stat here...

I'll just say that at my worst run about a week ago, I failed 7 relocates in a ROW. then hit one, then failed the next two or so.

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:20 am

she hasnt failed a ress yet (but she died prolly less than 30 times), thank god, exping her is killing me. She's an enchanter btw.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jan 18, 2002 4:04 pm

ok i thought of something that might have changed. she is only like 108 max drow int instead of 113 or 118 like she used to be and actually she is level 49 now (though the problem first started happening when she was 48). She is still failing relocate like mad. tonights stats were 6 fails in 14 relocates. is anyone else still failing close to 50% or should i just shut up?
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:12 pm

Kiryan, don't just shut up, I'm seeing the same thing and wondering wtf is up.
I fail relo about one third of the time.

level 45 human enchanter,
spellcast teleportation (good) (79)

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”