Dragons (again)

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Salen
Sojourner

Dragons (again)

Postby Salen » Tue Feb 19, 2002 4:03 am

Saks
3 wing buffets in 5 rounds = Sal not bothering with 1 more part of the game

Marks off Dragons right next to Psi mobs.

Seriously though 3 room bashes at an interval that you can't stand up, is this really where SJ3 is headed, or has it just not been looked at?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Feb 19, 2002 4:10 am

We had jabber wingbuffet 3 rounds in a row the other night. *nah nah*

Oh yeah, we got spanked too Image

Anyway, wingbuffet was adjusted after it was put in to prevent spam usage, but it looks like its messed up again, or it got adjusted up too far.

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 02-18-2002).]
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Feb 19, 2002 4:20 am

The last 4 rounds I saw before Welcome to Sojourn against the DK Shadow Dragon: Wing Buffet, Wing Buffet, Wing Buffet, Tail Sweep. Stunned and bashed every time.

-Todrael
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:24 am

it wont be changed. someone will discover some way to abuse a bug to get them to stop buffeting then they'll add some other nasty proc to them...

that's the direciton of SJ3
Ebgar
Sojourner

Postby Ebgar » Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:08 am

i think it's fun to actually get spanked by dragons, what fun is it to be able to just kill jabber everytime ya go w/0 deaths?!

might also get people to use strategy, and not have every group member in the room at all times, do some rotation and stuff, instead of having 15 people standing there.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:25 am

erf
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:29 am

Me a lil' ghealer is way ahead of u sir ebgar of the goodie scum!

Evil Day

Rokub
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:48 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rokub:
<B>Me a lil' ghealer is way ahead of u sir ebgar of the goodie scum!

Evil Day

Rokub</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

make that 2 shamans.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:36 am

Only death we had at Jabberwock last night was the level 37 illusionist.
And we didn't even have a single invoker Image
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:15 am

It's not supposed to buffet that much, it will be fixed shortly.

It's not our intention to be unbalanced, no. :P

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:49 pm

Wingbuffet, stunned, tanks can't bash stunned, holy word, holy word, holy word. Why does everything have to turn into a "I'm so much more special than you" contest?
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:29 pm

Thanks for the response Shev. Was just wondering if that was an intentional thing.

Heh, here's a thought. Think if the gemstone dragons had Psi like they do in D&D.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:36 pm

As a follow up to Shevarash, dragon AI is different than any other mobs. They're smarter than your average bear and will react differently in different situations (even more than normal mobs). There is somewhat of a strategy involved to fighting them that will make them lean toward other attacks other than buffeting. But thats strategy and learning your enemies, as opposed to what Grintor thinks.

However, keep in mind, these are dragons we're talking about. These creatures are the most feared beings in all of fantasy novels, able to lay waste to cities and armies. They should be approached with fear and trepidation rather than a group yawning "geez, another dragon?"

That being said I'll once again look at the buffet rate first opportunity.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:54 pm

Yeah, we are talking about dragons. Monsters the size of buildings, that somehow seem to be as agile as a little brownie.

We're also talking about groups of high level, well equipped players...that all wouldnt stand within 25 feet of the dragon to be buffeted and such.

Okay I've had my rant for the day. Carry on.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:57 pm

Feh, wingbuffet is just fun...

Its nice the way it is, as long as you just dont charge with all 15, then dragons are easy to fight.
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Thu Feb 21, 2002 3:23 am

dragons are not the most feared thing in fantasy novels. humans are :P

------------------
Thurg, Zossonnarr
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Feb 21, 2002 3:32 am

Actually, my vote would go for Tanar'ri, Dracoliches, Phaerimm, or sparkly cloud thing that eats all magic and gave Shandril Spellfire. Damn... wish I could remember what that thing was called... Behir?

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:31 am

The magik fart of Elminster?

Greenwood made a great land and has a great imagination, but he sucks as a writer.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:40 am

Bah! I like most of his books. I thought Spellfire was excellent in fact. Though a couple of the Elminster books were a bit slow. :shrug:

I'll agree he's not as good as Salvatore though. Image

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:52 am

Salvatore is a better writer, but his books lately suffer the same problem as do some of Greenwood's stuff.

His characters are so uber that there's not really much left to realistically challenge them. They never die. The solutions they come up with dont fit within the standard rules of the system (i.e. well we cant kill the dracolich/phaerimm/demon so we'll just use our convenient uberpower ...spellfire...and we cant die because we're demigods beloved by our authors) Wheres the mystery or danger? *yawn*
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:59 am

Heh. I have no problem with not expecting such characters to die. I mean seriously, there'd probably be riots if Drizzt died. Small riots, limited to a small bookstore I'm sure. But riots nonetheless! Image

I don't want them to die, I just love reading about them in action. The only problem I had with some of the Elminster books as that he isn't really "in action" for a lot of the time. He's just walking around learning something or whatever, that got boring. Now when you have him tossing 50 fireballs at an army of trolls or something... :sniff: it's a beautiful thing.

------------------
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:09 pm

The whole characters never dying bit buggs me. That's one reason why I like the HBO show OZ, brutal show, and they aren't afraid to kill off characters. Hell, they lose at least one minor one a show, and a major one goes bye bye minimum of once a season.

Sorry to go a bit off topic.

Toplack
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:23 pm

IMO, Salvatore's writing and for that matter the writings of many fantasy/sci-fi authors are like cheesy kung-fu movies. Not as good as they could be, frequently predictable and cliche, but none of that precludes them from being able to put a stupid grin on your face Image

"Your black lotus of doom style is strong Entreri, but it is no match for my double crescent moon swallow tail technique."

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:15 am

Well Glades dragon finished casting buffeted and breathed. Stunned people for numerous rounds buffeted again.

I guess that is the intention of dragons

I got an idea lets all stand in front of him so he can hit us all at the same time.

Could this have a blast radius effect? If the room is big enough for a dragon to be in it and swinging it wings, it would then be big enough for us not to all be standing directly in front of it to get buffeted.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:24 am

Wonderful Idea Salen!

Oh! and cheesy kung-fu owns j00!
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:53 am

Was just reading in my old-school monster manual ('78) that wing buffet was actually the dragon HITTING people with its wings, and that the attack only worked if you were standing on the SIDE.

*** Disclaimer - who cares this isn't DnD!

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”