Languages

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Languages

Postby Ilshadrial » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:41 pm

Can we have the Language code put back in the game, it has been gone for over 6 years, and I think it would be nice to have the option to speak other racial tongues to add to role-play for example.

God Run quests could benefit from this by making say a dwarf have to translate to the group what quest mobs are saying ect...

I know the code was taken out long ago becasue, I think Gond or Labelas, wanted to make it more advanced. It just sort of like died out.

Any Thoughts?

Ilshad

------------------
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:12 pm

I'm against this unless common is a 100% tongue for everyone. That code was more annoying than anything else in the game.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
kaitos
Sojourner

Postby kaitos » Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:31 pm

It could be very useful for quests, and fun. Even zone quests could be changed if the an extra bit were added to the files.

For everyday use languages were a pain, but I like the idea of using it for quests and RP.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:33 pm

Do your part, help control the newbie population. Add languages!
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:40 pm

I'd just like to chime in by saying that languages were the most annoying bit of code that was ever added to this MUD. If they were enabled again I'd seriously have to weigh whether the annoyance would be worth playing anymore. The only possible way I'd be in favor of these is if they were purely optional and had no affect on tells, gsays, or acc.

Just say no to languages!

------------------
Ghimok - Sage of The Company
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:19 pm

I would just like it as an option.

I think it would be a great RP flair.

------------------
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:23 pm

I like the idea, Ilshad, and I second the motion. I do think common should be a universal language.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
"Est Sularus Oth Mithas"
"My Honor is My Life"
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:44 pm

i loved languages. thought it we lost a great feature when it went away =(.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:44 pm

i loved languages. thought it we lost a great feature when it went away =(.
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:50 pm

Languages rule.

Disco
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:05 pm

While we're at it, let put mercenary and monk back into game.

------------------
Blung take no prisoner.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:55 pm

Everybody should be able to speak common/undercommon, otherwise I can see how that would get very annoying.

I think it would be neat if you got to learn a new language every so many levels or something. Maybe the max number of languages you could know being a function of your int.

I could see better things for the coders to spend their time on really. This is like an "I'm bored so let's spice up the mud" type job.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:28 am

i like languages, as an option though not a requirement.
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:06 am

You know.. on the topic of monks.. Image I now the primary reason they are gone now is because they decided they were to eastern and we wanted a western theme here.. but I just always have and always will love monks... i don't care if they do less damage than rogues (and i know it wouldn't be hard to code them in like that) but i think in a year or so or whenever everythign else is fixxed (like bards) Monks would be a neat addition... even if they hit less than a rogue did id still play them.. Image

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:24 am

I love the language idea, for those that want to not use it you could set common as the default language for everybody so when a noob starts they automaticaly speak common starting out. there is still NHC for the noobs and gormal. I love rp and that would make it 10x more exciting...flava!

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:47 am

Hey Blung you forgot to include Beserker.

:P

------------------
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:48 pm

I'm kinda torn about the language issue .. on one hand i think it would be great having a common language for the mud at large .. and one each for the goodies and evils .. as part of the whole racewar thing .. meeting a group of the opposite side would be hella fun if you could *speak greek* to them

i'd also suggest starting off speaking your natural tongue ... the first message you send someone would acknowledge the fact they were speaking another language ...ie...

mcommon mud common (for OOC, NHC, and tells)
ecommon evil common (gsay, say, acc, etc)
gcommon goodiescum common (see above)

Player newbie tells you 'garbley goobley'
You tell player newbie 'type speak mcommon and repeat that please'

not too difficult in that respect

coding, however... i have no idea

it would be akin to the drow innate sign thingy imho

Jist ma too sentc

------------------
Ambar -= Squishin de Squid =-

Edit: oops forgot to put my take on the *other hand* which is :
we really arent a true racewar kinda mud are we?? so languages should not matter? shrug ...

[This message has been edited by Karikhan (edited 04-16-2002).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:19 pm

I think this is a great idea, as long as there is a universal common language which everyone is 100% fluent in. I only experienced the langaugae code on another mud, and unfortunately they used it as "annoyance code" rather than to any useful effect.

Languages can be an amazing RP tool, as long as they aren't used to hinder the communication of new players. Mob quests could then teach the players new langauges a little at a time... complete a quest in Griffon's Nest, get +10% to your Barbarian language, things like that. Important quest mobs could speak entirely in their own langauge.

I think it would be a BLAST, but then I'm a RP, questy type person. Totally wouldn't change your jot runs Image

- Ragorn

------------------
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:23 pm

Interesting Idea, I have drunken memories of flailing about w/ the whole language thing. I agree, if it were put in, make it so everyone spoke same language for ooc/nhc, then have common for topsiders, uc for ebils. Race based languages... and what not adding at certain levels w/ cap based on int.

Not sure if it'd be a nightmare to code, if so, likely not worth it though.

Toplack *ug* Frostbear

------------------
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:44 pm

There are enough common languages in Faerun to make this an interesting RP addition without making it a hinderance to people that don't want to bother with it. Every good race member should be fluent in common obviously, it was developed as a language to facilitate trade across the realms. Every evil race should be fluent in goblin, not undercommon IMO. This may seem odd at first, but the goblin dialect is what a lot of the more primitive evil race languages are derived from (ie, orc) IIRC and the more intelligent evil humanoids often learn it to be able to boss their slaves around. There could also be modifiers based on class. Druids and rangers have to fight things like orcs, goblins, and other humanoids in the wilderness frequently so they would likely have some grasp of the more primitive evil languages. Wizards and clerics of all types have to deal with extraplanar beings frequently so being able to communicate with celestials, demons, and devils could be attributes of those classes. Bards will try to learn songs, stories, and poems from various races, places, and times and would likely be well versed in most of the common languages. The idea has a lot of potential without stepping on the toes of convenience.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:44 pm

Besides I think they should take out the drow signing if they don't give us languages, nog me. :P j/k

Ilshad

------------------
"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!
" Yayaril

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”