Frustrated Newbie

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Gamoy
Sojourner

Frustrated Newbie

Postby Gamoy » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:55 pm

Ok, not knowing what I was doing I created a new charater, a dwarf warrior. I rolled for a few minutes and played to level 4 to get a feel for Sojourn3...then I asked on NHC about stats. I was not surprised that the consensus was that my character was awful. When I asked what I should roll, I received advice that ranged from 4 heroics in str, dex, agi, con to no worse than 4 mighty's. Is that correct? How do you do that? Roll for days...what's the sense in that? There was some discussion of 'notch points' that I didn't really understand, nor do I see how you can find out enough about your character while rolling to make use of it. I tried an autoroller, even though that feels like cheating to me but after 7 hours hadn't hit anything. What is the sense of a system that works like this? I must be missing something because I sense that Sojourn3 is a great world and attracts a lot of nice people but how do you get started with a decent character? It doesn't have to be perfect, but I don't want to feel gimped after 10 or 20 levels either.
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:59 pm

Yes rolling does suck sometimes. It could take days to get the rolls you want, but after you add those 3 extra stat points you can come out with half decent stats.

Also there is a lot of +str. +con. +dex. +agil. eq in the game.

The reason there is a autoroller, is so that characters vary. So not each is the same, and alike.

It is only faulty because everyone wants to be the best and have 100 of everything, but many people settle for the lesser, to get in the game and kill those nasty monsters.

There is also a 'newbie help document' posted somewhere on the forums, I believe its written by cherzra. It is well written, and should help you out a ton if you haven't come across and read it yet.

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'

[This message has been edited by Rokub (edited 06-13-2002).]
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:00 pm

Welcome to Sojourn!

If you do a search in this forum, you will fine all your answers you need.

Search: rolling

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:03 pm

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000863.html

You don't NEED all heroics. Good str, heroic con, fair dex + agi is enough. If you want the BEST, yes then you autoroll for 38 real hours. If you just want to play, then just pick a decent roll. There is a shitload of +stat eq out there which will compensate for anything beyond normal 'good' rolls. Your char won't be worthless because you are missing 1 hitroll and 1 damroll due to not having the last dex and str notch.

Just get the last con notch, the rest is icing on the cake.

------------------
Gamoy
Sojourner

Postby Gamoy » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:25 pm

Thank you for the comments.

Cherzra, I have read your document and it is wonderful and probably the reason I really want to play Sojourn3. It got me nicely thru the 4 first levels. I still don't understand about notches though...when you are rolling you can't see your exact stats...you can only see the description. I can only see 'mighty', not whether it is 88 or 93 and in any cases I have not found a list of 'notches' by race/class.

[This message has been edited by Gamoy (edited 06-13-2002).]
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:37 pm

It would be extremely difficult and time consuming if not completely impossible to put together a list of all stat notches for each race. Aside from that, the best suggestion I have would be to create a test character or two, after entering the game type attrib and see what hit/dam/ac you have, and check how many hps you have at near perfect for any given stat.

Roll a 'keeper' character, check if it meets the same standards, or close. You can create several characters that have 'decent' stats and see if you like any of them, then request that your character's name be changed over petition when you finally get one you'll keep.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:53 pm

You won't see the actual numbers of your stats until level 20, but there are other ways to tell. If you're going to reroll, just go for the best one you can get which will suit the class you're playing, after that it can all be made up, if necessary, through stat enhancing gear which is available in the game.

It's kind of one of those things you learn with time. Be cool, have fun, everything else is secondary.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:13 pm

Gamoy,
I remember seeing you in Mithril Hall last night right before I logged off. Me and a really good friend of mine have been helping a few people out with low level exp areas and other things that new players need to know. I'll probably be playing tonight, will you be on? Look me up if you are, I'll be in that area, and we can group up and I can show you around some, help you get a feel for stats.

When rolling a char, I usually turn on the autoroller for an hour or two while watching tv. If nothing hits, I'll lower the stats i'm looking for. Every so often, if I don't get any hits, I'll lower them a little bit more, until I start getting hits, then pick something decent. Every now and then you get lucky with the autoroller and get awesome stats right off the bat. It's not impossible Image

But yeah, look me up under this name, or under Jadak.

------------------
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:15 pm

BTW, seeing as you're not a power player yet, you don't need 4 mighty's or heroics. Image Make sure to keep that str and con up though, those will help you out a lot in starting.

------------------
Gamoy
Sojourner

Postby Gamoy » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:41 pm

OK..after about a half hour of rolling the best Dwarf warrior char I have been able to come up with has (after adding bonuses):
Str: mighty Pow: avg
Agi: avg Int: avg
Dex: good Wis: bad
Con: heroic Cha: mundane

Stark naked he is AC 96, Hit 5, Dam 6

Will this work?

I saved this char and I also have the autoroller running again set to stop at Str & Con mighty, and Dex & Agi good, before bonuses...don't have any great hope that this will stop before I really want to try playing tonight.

If it does stop, where should I apply the bonuses.It is a bit frustrating to have to apply the bonuses in the dark as regards the notches, isn't it?

Galkar, thanks for the offer. I seem to remember being licked by someone last night named Jadak just before I called it quits...and I do plan on playing this evening so I will look you up.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:56 pm

Dwarven warriors primary function is to stand in front of an angry mob and get hit. Considering that, you want your AC pretty low. AC is directly affected by your character's agility, so the higher your agi, the better your AC's gonna be. Dex is nice, but that affects your hitroll, and while it's fun on a tank, it's not absolutly necessary to have it as high as possible. Con affects your hps, which will help keep you alive, so you want your con as high as possible, and str... well, you want to be able to drag yourself if you have to CR, and dwarves are heavy as heck! While it's nice to have a very high str, it's not necessary.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:21 pm

Con also helps you hold your ale better. Image

Mmm... Ale...

- Grungar "Never trust a sober dwarf" Forgefire
Gamoy
Sojourner

Postby Gamoy » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:28 pm

Bah...it did stop on mighty, good, good, mighty but I was afk and it timed out...but I see it is possible. From my experience with previous games I know I like to carry a lot of stuff around so I still want decent strength...

As for the ale...hmmm...definitely want heroic con then...maybe should hold out for perfect....
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:39 pm

Twas my tongue that got ya.

Those are pretty good stats to start off with if you ask me. True, the agi would be better higher. If you get that mighty good good mighty again, throw an extra at agi, see if it bumps, if not, throw another on there. Throw the third on con. That's what I'd do. Str items not hard to come by, and dorfs already pretty strong as it is.

------------------
Gamoy
Sojourner

Postby Gamoy » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:58 pm

OK...I am in business..after applying bonuses I managed to come up with:

STR: mighty
AGI: mighty
DEX: good
CON: heroic
POW: mundane
INT: bad
WIS: mundane
CHA: average
Armor Class: 80 (100 to -100)
Hitroll: 5 Damroll: 6

From this discussion this sound pretty good to me as a character to play for awhile....

You have all been very helpful, thank you and may all the dice rolls go your way!

I will look for you tonight Galkar.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:23 pm

Nice roll mang. We'll get you off to a good start Image

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:25 pm

Just don't ever expect to find anything hidden... EVER!
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:23 pm

Ale helps!

Ale aaaaaaaaalways helps.

- Grungar "Mmm, ale" Forgefire
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:21 pm

Heh, took the guy out and about last night, got him killed, and now he's hooked. Welcome another player!

------------------
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:15 pm

LOL good show galkar!

Gotta love seeing a new player that is smart enough to ask questions.

Good luck Gamoy. Feel free to ask anyone for help and advice. there are specific players who have the helper flag that are avail to help and most everyone else here is cool about answering questions and helping out.

Welcome to a large world with lots of very nice/cool people.

Depok
Tagor
Sojourner

Postby Tagor » Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:05 pm

Don't believe everything you hear though! When I was first rolling my character someone told me that int wasn't important for a cleric. For a long time I thought ****** full heal was normal!

Tagor
Gamoy
Sojourner

Postby Gamoy » Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:20 pm

Not only did Galkar get me killed...he managed to do it while I was afk....hehe...and I AM hooked I think...

Wasn't his fault...I guess entire group didnt expect whatever kind of monster it was to cast a spell that would affect everyone....

[This message has been edited by Gamoy (edited 06-14-2002).]
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:29 am

We decided to mess with a harper on high road.... OOPS! LOL

------------------
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:33 am

Slap at your own risk...

Actually, have your horse slap them first.

- Grungar "Hello, I'm Mr. Ed" Forgefire
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gamoy:
<B> Roll for days...what's the sense in that?

It doesn't have to be perfect, but I don't want to feel gimped after 10 or 20 levels either.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You won't be. You don't have to.

These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”