Bard/Battlechanter Feedback

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.

Bard/Battlechanter Feedback

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:51 am

Please put any feedback you'd like me to see here. I would appreciate it if people would refrain from commenting on other player's posts on this thread. I have no objection to non bard/battlechanters posting here, because the songs affect virtually everyone, but please keep this one thread free of sniping.

If you have any comments on the help files, please put them here too.
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:36 am

Give them new insturments! I suggest electric guitar, bass, and of course, a turntable! Have all bard titles start with "DJ"

------------------
"Incoming force missles have the right of way!"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:49 am

Backstab is messed up right now. Getting it at 1st level, help file has the correct level you should get it.

Song of Sorcery helpfile will be fixed soon.

Bards get double attack at 30th level, fixed in helpfile soon.

Coupla bugs of odd situations where you shouldn't really be able to sing.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:50 pm

I think the helpfile for song of sorcery is messed..its listed in the help skill_bard as a diff spell than song of miscast magic, but they have the same helpfile.

"SONG OF SORCERY"
Song.

Syntax: play 'song of miscast magic' <victim>
sing 'song of miscast magic' <victim>
Aggressive: Yes
Class/Level: Bard 41st

This song decreases the casting time of group members, and
increases the affects of specialization.

The song of sorcery allows a flute for instrumental accompaniment.

See also: INSTRUMENT, PLAY, SONG

"SONG OF MISCAST MAGIC"
Song.

Syntax: play 'song of miscast magic' <victim>
sing 'song of miscast magic' <victim>
Aggressive: Yes
Class/Level: Bard 41st

This song requires a target. It disrupts the magical energies
surrounding the target, giving them a chance of spell failure.

The song of miscast magic allows a mandolin for instrumental accompaniment.

See also: INSTRUMENT, PLAY, SONG

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:57 pm

omg, this is illusionist worthy (I thought illusionists were brilliant and well impd minus a couple imbalances).

single best change. the ansi. As SailorMoon says, 'Wicked Kewl!'

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:49 pm

You tell Iyachtu, 'If they like the ansi I'm taking the glory!'
You tell Iyachtu, 'But, If they hate the ansi, I point my fingers at you... Image'

I did the ansi!! I did it!! :P

On subject, I noticed a bug...

Battlechanters can pray, and your status: under the score window dosen't say your sining. (<--- Spotted by Cajur, relayed by me)

------------------
Kelemvor - God of the Dead, and Cemeteries
Areas Wank
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:14 pm

All songs can take an optional target. The effect for an area-only song is still area-only, but seems a bit odd to be able to have the mud take the command "play 'song of revelation' cardolan".

But at least one song, song of harming, which is not listed as being targetable in the Help files is actually targetable.

Song of harming is slightly buggy, if I understand the plan. If I am fighting (solo = tank) and try to start singing anything, it tells me I can't. But if I start the same fight with song of harming, then I will continue singing the harm song whilst fighting.

The message says "To sing without an instrument, type song." Should be "type sing".

[This message has been edited by Gurns (edited 06-20-2002).]
Aldira
Sojourner

Postby Aldira » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:21 pm

This is what I've noticed in the first hour, haven't had time to test many of the songs yet:

There are some skills not listed in help skill_bard that they receive now: circle, pick locks, accompany.

There's a lag after stopping a song. This is the same lag that every bard truly hated before it was removed, I would assume. This lag can be deadly, and leaves the bard behind if the group is moving when the song ends. Please remove it again.

There's no message when you begin playing that says you're using the instrument you're holding, as it did before, it just says 'You start singing', which makes me wonder if it's checking my instrument at all. (Previously: You start playing song of healing with a lovely elven lyre. You start singing song of healing.) It also doesn't say which song you're starting to play, which would be nice, although certainly not necessary.

Help magical songs lists healing songs, and there is no help healing songs.

Would be nice if each song listed which group it was in in the individual song help, ie help song of healing:
Aggressive: No
Class/Level: Bard 31st
Song Category: Healing Songs

None of the spells bards receive list bards as someone who has the spell in the spell help.

Can play songs in no-magic and silence rooms.

The spells bards receive are listed as being able to be practiced (scribed?) in your guild hall, even though you can cast them without doing that.

Bards don't receive spellcast enchantment or spellcast illusion, even though that's where most of their spells are.

Psp regenerates so incredibly slowly, OMG. Should bards get meditate to help with this? Still testing song of renewal to see if it helps much. Doesn't seem to give more than 2 psp per verse, when it isn't actually sapping psp to continue. Higher skill level might help, but at level 38, I'm losing quite a bit more psp than I'm gaining while singing it.

The message you receive when you try to play without an instrument lists the command as 'song', when it should be 'sing'.

Can't stop or start playing a song in combat, even though you can continue one that you had started previously.

Can sing while reclining, reclining and resting, and while sleeping.

Song of travel rocks. Having double attack, circle, and backstab rocks. The ansi on all the songs rocks. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication!
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aldira:
Still testing song of renewal to see if it helps much. Doesn't seem to give more than 2 psp per verse, when it isn't actually sapping psp to continue. Higher skill level might help</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does. Gurns healing songs 63, virtuoso 83, flute 91, 100 half_elf Cha. For me, it's sorta 2 steps forward and 1 step back. For level 30-42 (43? a guess) bards, then, it would seem to be a "help the group at cost to you" song. For level 44 or 45+, it's a "help you and group". I'm guessing that's by design. Image
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:56 pm

There should be a "You fly through the air" message when "song of travel" starts affecting you.

Would be nice to have a message that say "You are accompanying Aldira" (for me) and "Gurns accompanies you" (for Aldira) and "Gurns accompanies Aldira" (for room) after her song message appears. And for "accompanying Aldira" to appear in the Status:, like "Singing" normally would. And handy if when I type "accompany Aldira" a second time, it doesn't say "They're already being accompnied" but "Doh! You're already accompanyig them."

Aldira is a lvl 38 grey elf, has 377 psp. I'm a lvl 47 half elf, have 375 psp. Naturally, I think this must be a horrible bug!

[This message has been edited by Gurns (edited 06-20-2002).]
Aldira
Sojourner

Postby Aldira » Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:19 pm

Songs don't stop playing after an amount of time any more. Are we going to see the bard-bots of the past once people get skill levels where they aren't continually draining their psp?

After some skill increases, and switching to a flute (blush), song of renewal seems to keep me about even.

About accompany: I was singing song of renewal, and Gurns was accompanying me. After I stopped playing, he picked up, but started singing song of healing instead of renewal, and I couldn't accompany him. It said he was already being accompanied. After leaving the room and coming back, I was able to accompany him, which leads me to assume it made me auto-accompany when I stopped playing. The bonus from accompanying was almost imperceptible, hoping it increases with skill level.

And I think we just crashed it while messing around with accompany:
Gurns group-says 'I was posting, not watching, let me see if I can see what happened'
< 358h/358H 103p/377P 120v/120V >
< >
Disconnected from sojourn3.org

Most +psp gear is only available in evil hometowns, or is flagged anti-good or anti-goodrace. Hopefully many of these items could be reviewed, now that bards also use psp?

Thanks for raising my int to the new minimum! Is that what was decided finally, as far as stats go?
Aldira
Sojourner

Postby Aldira » Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:26 pm

I noticed that song of travel, at least, affects people even after you stop singing, for quite some time even. I thought songs would stop the second you stopped singing?

Playing any song makes you snap into visibility if you were invisible. Intentional, even for the non-aggressive songs?

Also noticed the lag doesn't happen if you stop singing due to running out of psp. Don't mind the lag at all then Image

Once again, thanks!

[This message has been edited by Aldira (edited 06-20-2002).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:26 pm

I want to thank you guys for overhauling the single most overlooked class in all of Sojourn/Toril/Sojourn history Image

I really appreciate that you guys went "outside the box," so to speak, when imp'ing these changes. The PSP addition was very creative, and I'm glad to see that bards have a niche with unique skills, rather than just getting a mishmash conglomeration of other classes' skills.

- Ragorn
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aldira:
<B>About accompany:

And I think we just crashed it while messing around with accompany:
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The crash came when I typed "play", to manually stop my song.

I had switched to "song of healing" earlier, because of an old trigger. So Aldira stopped singing, I took over, then trigger kicked me into healing.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:22 pm

Song of protection seems to be cumulative. Every verse kept decreasing my AC until I eventually hit -100 and my saves kept goin down. I was at -10 saves then the bard ran out of PSP's.

Also, save vs rod and save vs para arent effected, dunno if thats supposed to be that way.

Hope this isn't a bug, but im guessing it is Image

[This message has been edited by Snurgt (edited 06-20-2002).]
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:42 pm

Can multiple bards sing multiple songs in the same room together? Wouldn't that mess up the sound?

The cacophony of singing makes you disoriented!
You are stunned!

------------------
Tog Vicious

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Izizimmez:
<B>Can multiple bards sing multiple songs in the same room together? Wouldn't that mess up the sound?

The cacophony of singing makes you disoriented!
You are stunned!

They can't sing two different songs. Nor can they each sing the same song... the 2nd bard 'accompanies' the first, increasing the affect and giving them a chance to pick up the song, if the first bard stops.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:48 pm

Fixed a few things this morning:

1. That switch to the song of healing was a code problem, not something gurns did. I'm not sure if that caused the crash, but it was certainly messed up.

2. Help files were updated, and some skills were adjusted to match what was intended (backstab isn't supposed to be there at 1st level, and an 8 skill isn't gonna work anyway).

3. Roller was tweaked some. First tweak was bad, so had to adjust it some more. That's fixed now.

4. Song of Protection doesn't stack now. Thanks to those bards/chanters who told us about that.
Aldira
Sojourner

Postby Aldira » Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:50 pm

Noticed we got spellcast enchantment, still need spellcast illusion Image Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Aldira (edited 06-20-2002).]
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:23 pm

I agree with Aldira about the OMG slowness of PSP regen. My bard was asleep for 10 minutes, made sure i wasnt hungry/thirsty, and regenned about 40 psp's in 10 minutes.

I know Psi's get brain drain innate, maybe bards can get song of renewal moved to level 1.

Make it maybe regen 1 psp every verse or so at level 1. With stutters, etc, it wont be that great, but at least by level 10 it will be somewhat effective that way.

Or give bards meditate which increases psp regen?

Just some thoughts.
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:58 pm

There's a lag after stopping a song. This is the same lag that every bard truly hated before it was removed, I would assume. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it's worse, because it now also occurs when you manually stop a song. So if I switch songs while the group is moving, I get left behind. Worse, if I'm in battle, and want to switch songs, I'm stunned for a little while.

Perhaps related to this, I can't switch from one song to another. I have to stop playing first, then start singing the next song. Since song effects vanish instantly, should I not be able to segue right from one song to another, the first song effects stop when I start singing the second, and the second song effects hit at the usual time. (Much Sooner Than Before! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gurns:
<B> Actually, it's worse, because it now also occurs when you manually stop a song. So if I switch songs while the group is moving, I get left behind. Worse, if I'm in battle, and want to switch songs, I'm stunned for a little while.

Perhaps related to this, I can't switch from one song to another. I have to stop playing first, then start singing the next song. Since song effects vanish instantly, should I not be able to segue right from one song to another, the first song effects stop when I start singing the second, and the second song effects hit at the usual time. (Much Sooner Than Before! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correction: This lag only exists when you manually stop a song. If you stop singing due to stutter, stun, etc... you don't get a wait state. You can't sing for a couple of rounds, but you will continue moving with the group.

And no, I don't think you should be able to switch songs instantaneously. I think it requires some amount of time to switch gears like that.

[This message has been edited by Iyachtu (edited 06-20-2002).]

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:39 pm

Tons of wonderful feedback people. Thanks for all the info, and reporting everything, even things that could be used to your advantage. I love that about bards/bchanters.

I'll be working to clean alot of this up. Please be patient, as it's gonna require a little time.

Incidentally, you can stop singing a song with the 'sing' command in any situation. I'm not sure what's up with 'play', but can fix it. Also, you *can* sing a song and get the instrument bonus by typing sing 'song of whatever'... I just modded the play command in case bards want to make sure they remembered to hold an instrument.

For those who missed the global message:

Bards/Bchanters have a new toggle, togg manaburn x. This is the amount of mana you're willing to drop to while singing. If it's zero, you'll use up all your mana, otherwise you'll voluntarily stop singing on a stutter if you get down to your setting.

It's not currently displayed on the togg screen, but that'll be coming soon. It does describe what it does when you type togg manaburn x

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:12 pm

So um... have any warriors typed practice while they have the song of defensive harmony going on them? *POKE*
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iyachtu:
<B> Correction: This lag only exists when you manually stop a song. If you stop singing due to stutter, stun, etc... you don't get a wait state. You can't sing for a couple of rounds, but you will continue moving with the group.

And no, I don't think you should be able to switch songs instantaneously. I think it requires some amount of time to switch gears like that.

[This message has been edited by Iyachtu (edited 06-20-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After all, you do have to stop and pick up the panties, roses, shoes, beer bottles, and whatever else people have thrown at/to you.

C'mon people, you're the rock stars of the fantasy world =D

- Grungar "I'm a loner in a claustrophobic mind" Forgefire
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:43 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iyachtu:
So um... have any warriors typed practice while they have the song of defensive harmony going on them? *POKE*</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't log it, but as I recall it went something like:

Lanik gsays 'parry 121'
Lanik gsays 'I want a bard for my own'

maxed skill warrior and targeted song Image

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gurns:
<B> I didn't log it, but as I recall it went something like:

Lanik gsays 'parry 121'
Lanik gsays 'I want a bard for my own'

maxed skill warrior and targeted song Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And just think, your skills aren't maxed yet.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:42 am

Fixes coming soon:

1. No singing in !magic and silence rooms.
2. No singing while sleeping.
3. Message when a verse of offensive harmony gives haste.
4. Message when a verse of offensive disruption slows.
5. Singing listed under status.
6. Accompanying: Bardname under status.
7. Renewal increased some. This may or may not be permanent, due to the lack of appropriate skills at the moment.
8. 2nd bard increases virtuoso chance (this is invisible).
9. Fixed an issue described by 2 bards in this thread, where it started doing song of healing. Also, the crash bug that ensued is fixed.
10. Won't allow you to scribe spells, since you don't need to.
11. Won't allow you to mem or pray for specific spells, since that doesn't give you the spells.

9-11 are actually already live.

For spells: You can cast a spell if you have an available spell of that circle. If you don't, you can't. Spells refresh every 24 game hours (24 minutes).
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:29 am

Just an idea:

when a spell slot comes back, can we get a message saying its refreshed?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:15 am

let them sing in !magic but not silence. don't let them cast spells however.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snurgt:
<B>Just an idea:

when a spell slot comes back, can we get a message saying its refreshed?

Certainly, though you get them all back at once.
Aldira
Sojourner

Postby Aldira » Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:22 am

Song of renewal, with 74 skill in flute and 74 healing songs, readily replenishes my PSP now.

Toggle manaburn should be in a help file somewhere (not just help toggle)!

Would be neat to receive the message mentioned above, maybe just 'Some of your spells replenish.' or something like that.

It would also be great to get a way to reference which spells we have available to cast. Typing mem just shows which slots you still have open, not the spells you can cast. To get a list, I have to type help skill_bard every time. Maybe I just need a better memory.. would be nice if the 'spells' command worked though.

My skills are catching up quite quickly, no real complaints with the class, everything looks like it's going great once these little things are ironed out Image

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:54 am

<B>Song of renewal, with 74 skill in flute and 74 healing songs, readily replenishes my PSP now.

Toggle manaburn should be in a help file somewhere (not just help toggle)!

Would be neat to receive the message mentioned above, maybe just 'Some of your spells replenish.' or something like that.

It would also be great to get a way to reference which spells we have available to cast. Typing mem just shows which slots you still have open, not the spells you can cast. To get a list, I have to type help skill_bard every time. Maybe I just need a better memory.. would be nice if the 'spells' command worked though.

My skills are catching up quite quickly, no real complaints with the class, everything looks like it's going great once these little things are ironed out Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of that's on my list, yeah. So much to do, gonna take awhile.
Lalisa
Sojourner

Postby Lalisa » Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:56 pm

As far as I can see a bard should roll a minimum of 90 in charisma.
"
Minimum stats:
STR: 50 DEX: 75 AGI: 0 CON: 50
POW: 0 INT: 80 WIS: 0 CHA: 90"

I tried rolling a half-elf bard today and got a fair charisma (fair being between 76 and 81). Should that be possible? Or is it me that is misunderstanding something about minimum stats? Image
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:08 pm

Some accompany oddities:

Betandor (lvl 20) can accompany me on song of renewal (lvl 21 song). He's good, but that good?

If you start accompanying someone, "sing" or "play" doesn't stop you from accompaying them. (Only way I see to do it is leave the run, and start singing something else.)
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:17 pm

And no, I don't think you should be able to switch songs instantaneously. I think it requires some amount of time to switch gears like that.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not to play the notes, but to get the music and the magic, I can see that.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Correction: This lag only exists when you manually stop a song. If you stop singing due to stutter, stun, etc... you don't get a wait state. You can't sing for a couple of rounds, but you will continue moving with the group.</font>

I don't get it. Why should stopping a song intentionally be worse than stuttering to a stop? In any event, the "not follow the group" bit is what had to get changed before, because it was too dangerous. It still is.

So as there will be a stun, would it not be better to have a "stun that prevents everything but following" on every stop of a song, with a shorter stun for intentionally stopping your song (length it is now? a little shorter?) and a little longer stun for stutter and other stops?

Thanks,
Gurns
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:13 pm

PSP's dont seem to show up on the grouplist when you type group, they just show as 0/0.
They also dont show up when you rep or grep.

From a group leaders perspective that might be useful.

Also, if possible, when you are targetting a song on 1 person or mob, if that persons name could show up somewhere, like maybe on the score screen like:

Also, looks like you can start singing while engaged, but you cant start playing while engaged.

[This message has been edited by Snurgt (edited 06-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Snurgt (edited 06-21-2002).]
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:15 pm

The message when haste hits ("Your song dramatically...") needs a carriage return at the end.
Keijen
Sojourner

Postby Keijen » Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:36 pm

1) When using the Lyre of Svalich while playing regeneration, I get the message that this instrument is not suited to the song.

2) Please add a help entry for the “lore” skill.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:41 pm

<B>Some accompany oddities:

Betandor (lvl 20) can accompany me on song of renewal (lvl 21 song). He's good, but that good?

If you start accompanying someone, "sing" or "play" doesn't stop you from accompaying them. (Only way I see to do it is leave the run, and start singing something else.)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

accompany stop

If ya want, I can make accompany with no arguments do that too. Sorry, not in helpfiles atm.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:55 pm

Gurns, et al.

Reconsidering the lag on intentionally stopping. I like the suggestion that it would not allow commands (or would in fact queue them up), but would also allow the char to keep following.
Allycis
Sojourner

Postby Allycis » Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:53 am

what about a song of recovery? makes you recover faster from effects like res, major para (including thrym proc), poison..things like that
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:06 am

To finish off Battlechanters then I think a good and expensive drum should be placed in Bloodtusk.

It should also have a wicked name, not some sissy goatskin or something.

War Gong *GOOOOOOOOOONG* is nice, but breaks after too few songs. And else you gotta go to elven places to buy instruments.

/Gakka Boom
Aldira
Sojourner

Postby Aldira » Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:30 pm

Was instrument breakage removed? I haven't heard of anyone breaking an instrument since the changes. If it was removed on purpose, I would like to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

If it was an oversight, I would dearly and from the bottom of my heart implore you to not "fix" it.

If we're all just really lucky and it's still in, I would once again dearly and from the bottom of my heart implore you to reconsider it in the first place. (Second place? How many revisions have bards had now? Whatever Image)

As my skills improve, the class is looking more and more fun every minute! Thanks Image

[This message has been edited by Aldira (edited 06-22-2002).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:36 pm

One idea you could toy with is the concept of stuttering NOT stopping a song.

As a musician of 11 years, if you bork a note, you keep playing Image I can see a situation where the stuttering rate is moderately increased, but stuttering only negates the current verse rather than making you stop your song.

Gurns plays a song to lift his spirits.
Oh my God, you've never heard anyone ruin a perfectly good song like Gurns just did.

Gurns et al. are right, lag after stopping or stuttering is silly. I can imagine not being able to get the effects of another spell right away, but standing there like a motard, completely unable to talk or move? It's embarassing to land a note flat, but it's not mortifying Image

I agree that removing the command lag after stopping is the best way to go. Put a timer on it that the bard can't get the effects of another song (but he can sing if he wants) for 10 seconds or whatever. But don't make them stand there Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Allycis
Sojourner

Postby Allycis » Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:31 pm

I know you're tired of people bitching about goodies getting mounted combat, but song of defensive harmony makes it go up which doesn't benefit evils at all..For a happy counterpart maybe battlechanter version could increase the defensive skills of illithids...although i know it says physical combatants right now.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:47 pm

What? You mean like flesharmor? Hmm...that's not going to help anything, heheheh. I don't see any way of giving the evils some equivalent to the helpful mounted combat boost...UNLESS (I just thought of this) you make the offensive song increase the Illithid offensive skills like mindblast, projectforce, and ultrablast! That would be pleasant. Image

------------------
Tog Vicious
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:53 pm

Oh wait! Does it already? I haven't checked...

------------------
Tog Vicious
Aldira
Sojourner

Postby Aldira » Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:54 pm

So people don't get the wrong impression about how bards work now:

When you "stutter", instead of stopping the song, you keep singing but use up a little mana, how much depending on which song you're singing. So high skill level means you can sing for a really, really long time, but the longer you sing the more chance to stutter, so eventually you stutter every verse and lose mana really fast.

If you toggle manaburn high enough, then when you stutter and are below it you stop automatically, with no lag. Also don't get any lag if you stop playing because you entered a no-magic room, or fall asleep, what have you. If you stop the song manually, then you get about 1 round of lag. I don't really have any problem with the lag.

Just concerned about breaking my fun instruments now.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Allycis:
I know you're tired of people bitching about goodies getting mounted combat, but song of defensive harmony makes it go up which doesn't benefit evils at all..For a happy counterpart maybe battlechanter version could increase the defensive skills of illithids...although i know it says physical combatants right now.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Physical combatants means anyone in physical combat. If the Illithids have some defensive skill that's not going up (if you type practice while that song is on you, it shows your improved skill), please let me know.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”