My turn

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Xyd
Sojourner

My turn

Postby Xyd » Thu Aug 23, 2001 9:37 pm

I guess it's my turn to leave Soj. There was a little "incident" today and I admittedly screwed up but the cold shoulder I received was, frankly, really upsetting. I would just ask those involved to think about how you treat people. There's a real person on the other side of that keyboard. For those who were in the same group two days in a row, the guy who area'ed in that same room did not eat the shit I ate today. Must be a RL friend thing.

Also, to those of you who completely ignored my tells... thanks.

xxx group-says 'fuckign idiot'

.xyd
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Aug 23, 2001 9:54 pm

oof.. that sucks. Image

I wouldn't go being all rash and quitting tho.. some ppl overact to stuff, and if they can't get over a mistake, then don't group with them again. I mean, hell, people make mistakes all the time on the mud.. it happens. Hell, we make mistakes in high lvl zones, especially when its getting late and stuff. We moan a little etc, but laugh about it a little later. Hopefully those people will too.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Aug 23, 2001 9:54 pm

dont quit the mud. what you need to do is join the other side. make enchanter Image
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Aug 23, 2001 10:03 pm

Xyd,

Screw 'em. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole pie. Or something along those lines.

You've earned your place here, and I would be sorry to see you go personally.

Just my opinion,
Shevy
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Aug 23, 2001 10:06 pm

Was partly my fault. I was leading the demigroup, in which he caused a spank in, which killed half the group.

I didn't hold group (cha 52), so I couldn't group him when he consented and I didn't see any tells in the spam, before I dragged the survivors to the silence room to avoid the tracking casters.

We sat there for 10 mins until it booted, and then got back up. I didn't recieve a tell from Uxu until we had killed Artimus again.
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:20 am

Not everyone is like that, Xyd. Repent and come to the light side! We are assholes too, but there's alot more of us to choose from!
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Fri Aug 24, 2001 2:01 am

Feh Xyd.

Don't leave.

There are quite a few noobs as high levellers this time around. they know who they are. remember, we were once like them (hate to admit it, but it's true) and as more and more of these noobs make these same mistakes they'll find themselves with less groups.

Best thing you can do is be patient dood. You know who your friends are, and I count you as one of mine. There are so many newbies this time around, spouting some rather elitest attitudes that would make even the old elite's shudder. As more of us make the higher levels they may find themselves...well...replaced.

Teyaha
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Fri Aug 24, 2001 4:11 am

LOL Mplor
Well put.

Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Aug 24, 2001 4:57 am

You don't have to leave, Xyd. People were upset, there was an obvious target to blame.. it was just frustrations coming out on one most in the group couldn't call friend. There are always bad days. Unless abuse takes place over more than a week, just feel bad about it, get over it, and play on. Sojourn3 forever Image

-Todrael
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Aug 24, 2001 7:25 am

People fucked up every day all week, you had the luck to be the last straw for most of us. So we left your corpse there until we finished the zone.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Fri Aug 24, 2001 9:47 am

That cast that screwed up there the day before was me... I got yelled at pretty good for that and I don't think they will ever let me forget it. Was my first time doing that fight and didn't see the no area spell thing before fight, etc.

I am glad certain people decided to change thier mind in your cr... I really didn't think they would do that but it looked like they might. I was highly oposed to the thought of leaving your corpse there to rot and let the group know that.

-Jaznolg

[This message has been edited by Jaznolg (edited 08-24-2001).]
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Fri Aug 24, 2001 10:02 am

I don't care what you did, Xyd, but you didn't deserve that.

With 'friends' like that who needs enemies?

Dornax
Jurdex
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:36 am

I will always welcome back Xyd the elven resser Image

Why play an evil in the first place? Bleh.

Lyt
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:13 pm

Yeah, come to the goodie side.. make an enchanter or invoker Image
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Fri Aug 24, 2001 3:41 pm

First, all I can say is “wow”. Thanks for the posts, emails, ICQ’s and even the phone calls (T, how DID you find my number???). Shevy, your post was a surprise. I lay low from the gods and your post was most well-received. Several things I want to say (and God knows I do so love to talk)...

First, somehow it spread that my corpse wasn’t CR’ed. It was. I did not think I implied "no CR" in my post but somehow that rumor started. Anyway, the group decided to do the zone before they CR’ed me and some of them decided to ignore me to “teach me a lesson”. Well guess what? I didn’t need that lesson. The “oh sh*t” feeling that went through my body after I mistakenly hit that bash was more pain than any of you could have put me through with that “lesson”. As I said, it was a mistake – I queued up “b sorcerer” in zmud and accidently fired it early. This whole episode also has sprouted some good vs evil rumblings and I really don’t want it to be that way.

Next, I’m not truly a newbie here. I played on Soj over seven years ago for about 4 years – actually back when being an elf was pretty cool. I was in a couple guilds (Knights of Light/CoL and subsequently Wyrm) and had several chars over level 40 and Xyd was a level 50 Wyrm cleric. I played with many of the Soj oldies in one form or another, but I did take the last 3 years off. A new job, a divorce, and losing 70% of your worldly possessions will wreak some serious havoc on your soul. It’s an experience. Fortunately I have my health so I consider myself fortunate. Anyway, I consider myself a re-newbie – many things have changed and doing a high-level zone brings back memories. Unfortunately, it’s not yet a reflex to just know what to do in the zones.

Next, several have asked why I rolled an evil in the first place. First it was because clerics were becoming unfun. Xyd is lvl 24 and I watched a RL friend roll a new elf warrior and level him past Xyd – all the way to early 30’s – while grouped with me and in less playtime than Xyd has. Also, Xyd could hardly solo anything in EF that was worth a damn, and the repray time was brutal on solo exp runs – it made playing a chore rather than fun. I decided to try a warrior, and since I had never played an evil I decided to try a Troll. Know what? My first 30+ levels were really fun. A few fun deaths, playing with skills I had never used and seeing zones I had never seen before. What a refreshing view of Sojourn. Levels 33-40 were tedious – those “I need more exp before I can do real zones” levels. At level 40 and 41 I died 12 times in 8 days, mostly due to exp runs without a stoner or a healer. Just dumb and very frustrating. I then got in my first half dozen real zoning experiences as a troll warrior and the tediousness wore off and I was having fun... until yesterday. Overall, the evils are a fun group and are very generous but there are a few that were able to sour my taste. If you are RP’ing your good vs evil feelings then count me in -- I love to taunt an elf or halfling and Nokie is probably the most fun (sorry Nokie). I don’t subscribe to the other view.

The hierarchical system of perceived “power” on Soj is an interesting one. People view a level 50 player as a person of authority and one to respect – and in RP terms that’s okay. Think about what level 50 means this soon after a pwipe: they just have more free time. There’s no minimum maturity threshold. There’s no minimum skill requirement. There’s no minimum playtime requirement. There’s no IQ test. Frankly, that all showed yesterday.

I really am going to take some time off to ponder. Maybe a week, maybe longer, which will give me some time to think about Uxu’s fate. Uxu feels like he alienated several high-level evils which could severely limit his ability to do big zones at least short-term. Fortunately Xyd feels like he has a ton of friends. As much as I enjoy Sojourn my time away will probably be short. I can't think of another single activity that has held my interest as long as Sojourn in its various incarnations and I'd hate to leave it forever.

Thank you all for the encouraging words.

.xyd
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Fri Aug 24, 2001 4:23 pm

*banging fist slowly against school locker*

Lucas! Lucas! Lucas!

come back Xyd, we love you. We don't want you to die!

------------------
·Kuurg·
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Aug 24, 2001 4:31 pm

This is pretty dissapointing to hear if indeed people mentioned or considered not CR'ing someone for making a mistake. I would be interested in who said this, amazingly disheartening to hear, it shows a total lack of class to let anger get the better of you to that extent.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:06 pm

I agree with that you say about level 50. It's pretty much directly porportioned to how much time you spend online. But of course it's like that with anything. Cheating/macroing aside, you saw it on Ultima Online, Diablow 2, Everquest, Asherons Call, etc. As a matter of fact, on D2, a 'team' of people played the same barbarian character tag-team style 24/7 to get him the first to level 99. It's all about time (with some exceptions of course).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xyd:
Think about what level 50 means this soon after a pwipe: they just have more free time. There’s no minimum maturity threshold. There’s no minimum skill requirement. There’s no minimum playtime requirement. There’s no IQ test. Frankly, that all showed yesterday.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:13 pm

He was never not going to be Cr'd. We were doing demi, waiting for a tell from him of for him to consent the group holder (which was me). He never consented me for regroup, and the first time i heard he sent a tell to anyone in the group was after approx. 15 minutes:

zogur gsays 'xxx tells you 'you guys still up there?'

Im sorry if you felt you were getting the cold shoulder. Some people were pretty pissed, and some people aren't forgiving. There is a certain degree of rolling with the punches while mudding.

P.s. FOR EVERYONE... re-consent group holder immeadeately after death/crash/re-boot. Always, thats the way it should be.
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:19 pm

delete yourself! you wouldnt believe how much more i've enjoyed myself since i quit this silly fun with random numbers game. i've met LOTS more people, written a few songs, gotten GREAT grades in school, and generally been a happier person. i highly recommend the same to anyone else who feels this game is just a breeding grounds for spite, malevolence, and jealousy, much of which i saw first hand in the very first few weeks of playing! so take my advice, delete those few bits and bytes of colored text. you'll feel much better.

dale
turg
Sojourner

Postby turg » Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:30 pm

to jeg and cherz, sorry if i accused u of anything....really. but this morning i logged on and tried to get the truth outta someone else and they answered with "i dont owe u any explanation." and thats the attitude im worried about with evils...not so much everything else, just the attitude...but anyhow if you two found my posts offending or aggressive i do apologize. To the third, i gave him a chance to explain and he threw it down my throat....

Lates,
Turg
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Aug 24, 2001 6:37 pm

turg u are bad bad troll
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Aug 24, 2001 8:21 pm

As a level 50 char on Soj3, I get lots of tells ranging from asking for quest information, item information, or just plain directions from people I've never met before. I have to tell most of them that I don't have a clue, because really I'm just here for the ride.. I'm good at exp'ing, I'm semi-good at zoning, and I play a -ton-. That's all that's really required.

To Saitcho: good for you. I enjoy my time on Sojourn, and if you had stuck it out another month, who knows, you might have learned that hoarding newbie eq, greed, and spite would all be nearly eliminated as those that want eq get it, hand-me-downs are an every day event, and there are enough high levelers to help out any newbie that logs on. Check some of the threads from new players about how much help they've gotten. We love the game and we're here to stay.

-Todrael
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:17 am

I quit mudding once, I started to talk to my family, eat food, talk without abbreviation, found a girlfriend, cut back on my dope intake, read a few books, kept a job, experienced sunlight, smiled, visited friends, woke up before 2pm, paid my bills on time, somewhere in that i found inner peace and no stress.... I started to feel human again.... Was the worst 5 minutes of my life...

:P
Salenthelor
Sojourner

Postby Salenthelor » Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:16 am

Hehe RL aint so bad. I haven't done more than log in talk for a couple minutes and log out since just before the Rag-tag crew showed up at your house. However, I have seen some of the 'goings on' from other people's screens, and yup lotta people who weren't hugged enough as children playing this game.

May see you around sometime.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jasix Prowlingwolf:
<B>I quit mudding once, I started to talk to my family, eat food, talk without abbreviation, found a girlfriend, cut back on my dope intake, read a few books, kept a job, experienced sunlight, smiled, visited friends, woke up before 2pm, paid my bills on time, somewhere in that i found inner peace and no stress.... I started to feel human again.... Was the worst 5 minutes of my life...

:P</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You had me worried there Jasix Image
Jethrus
Sojourner

Postby Jethrus » Wed Aug 29, 2001 9:04 pm

All I can say is everything in moderation. Mudding can be a fun hobby or side-bar, as long as it stays that way. When you start having your real life controlled by the mud its time for a reality check. What really matters? If the mud goes down sure I would be dissapointed, I have fun playing, but I wouldn't be devestated.... Reality check- if you log off the mud and are upset in rl for the next couple of days about something that happened on the mud, you need to step back or take time off. Have fun, get eq, make friends, and most of all, leave it on the game. Because when it comes down to it, it IS a game. I have been here off and on for years now and have seen alot of ppl go from just starting to leading zones. I have also seen alot of ppl get way to caught up in a game that start sending hate mail or flaming 20 flaming posts. I love you all and hope that you take this as encouragement, not criticism! Keep your priorities and enjoy your hobbies.
-Jethrus Old Fogey
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Thu Aug 30, 2001 5:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Saitcho:
delete yourself! you wouldnt believe how much more i've enjoyed myself since i quit</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And if you are planning to delete yourself, take a group to jot, get spanked, abandom them and make other people suffer with you, right?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">which i saw first hand in the very first few weeks of playing!</font>

Oh please, nothing happened the first few weeks after the wipe. Go cry somewhere else that you couldn't make it. Take a hike loser, no one cares about anything you have to say.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Aug 30, 2001 5:01 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trogar:
Oh please, nothing happened the first few weeks after the wipe. Go cry somewhere else that you couldn't make it. Take a hike loser, no one cares about anything you have to say.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok.... There is anger, and then there is rage.

Mori
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Thu Aug 30, 2001 7:04 pm

haha i sure had you fooled at first, eh trogar? you were ALL over my tip trying to get in the little guild i was supposed to make. so take a hike yourself asswipe. i've made more real life friends and come to realize that i care nothing for the world of anonymous nobodies competing over meaningless strings of colored text that sojourn is made of. its this same belligerent attitude i saw from you and countless others, including the "friends" i made but would never meet in real life anyway. its a happier world out there. at least for me =)

saitcho

[This message has been edited by Saitcho (edited 08-30-2001).]
Gorkl
Sojourner

Postby Gorkl » Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:42 pm

Is it just me or are the evils way more buttheads than they were back in soj 2. They are acting alot like goodies did back in Soj 2 and 1. This is my primary reason for not playing at all much anymore. It's like there is a "Clique" of people that are eliteist assholes.

Not pointing any fingers....
Gorkster
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Aug 30, 2001 10:14 pm

You can't apply something to 'all evils' or 'all goodies'. Jeez, as if half don't play on both sides anyways. Just because you can't get a group with certain people does not make them 'assholes' or 'elitist'. I would love to be able to say 'no' to people, as that way I actually get things done. Instead I ended up with a 6 person group, when I wanted to solo.

There are tons of evils that get in zone groups. There is no 'clique'. New faces are in these groups every day. Maybe it's your attitude that needs adjusting instead of anyone elses.

-Todrael
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Aug 31, 2001 12:28 am

how did this topic go from cheating to mudding?
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Aug 31, 2001 12:31 am

doh! my bad. actually my boss fault. came and distracted me; thus, causing me to forget the topic. shame on him. i think all mud problems can be attributed to him. it's all his fault. nothing the goodie/evils can do can cause more harm than that evil/goodie boss. alway coming around at inappropiate times. how can someone slack off if he's standing around watching you.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Fri Aug 31, 2001 6:27 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gorkl:
Is it just me or are the evils way more buttheads than they were back in soj 2. They are acting alot like goodies did back in Soj 2 and 1. This is my primary reason for not playing at all much anymore. It's like there is a "Clique" of people that are eliteist assholes.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all current evils are complete 'buttheads', it just seems that way because those who are 'buttheads' tend to be a lot louder.

Here's a bit of advice, for both sides. See someone who's ALWAYS anon? Chances are he/she won't want to be your mudbuttbuddy.

I've noticed there are still genuinely nice players on Soj3, who don't 'live' on the mud, and will actually help you out or just hang out and chat with you. (mind you they are VERY few and far in-between, but they’re still out there.) These are the relaxed easy-going people who aren't likely to snap on you when something goes wrong. Look for these people, try and stay away from the ones who admit to being here for 5+ hours every sing night of their life. Chances are my friends, they'll wind up taking the game a taaaaad too seriously at one point or another. I know this, because I used to be like that at one point. I remember playing 15-18 hours a DAY for a summer one year on Soj. You become so consumed in the addictive nature of the game, you begin to forget your priorities in life & love.

Nowadays when I actually manage a few bits of time to scrape together to play, and if I happen to die, I just shrug my shoulders and snicker. Oh well. Maybe this time I’ll just let it rot and if someone finds it, they can have the crappy newbie-like gear I was wearing anyway. I guess you could say I’ve become Mud-Suicidal cuz I just don’t let it bother me.

It’s just a f*cking game after all.

As for bad attitudes in general, for either side, I remember there being a guild back in older times. It was their motto to be the coolest guild on the mud, but not because of the eq they wore or the zones they did, but because they valued the player behind the computer, instead of the strings of text that make up a character. A group of players that actually cared beyond the game about those they played with, and would willing come to the aid of anyone in need, never asking for payment, or using the situation to gain a leverage over someone else later. It was their creed to fight against elitism, and unite players under a common standard of brotherhood, and they dam well did it to an extent.

What ever happened to guilds and players like that?

What Soj3 needs is hero’s again.

Doesn't it?
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Fri Aug 31, 2001 7:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Saitcho:
i've made more real life friends</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, that's wonderful. The ability to make real life friends is a skill you learn by kindergarden. Congrats, you are only 20 years behind everyone else now!

Tro
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Fri Aug 31, 2001 12:37 pm

Caed... I think you're talking about Bob which became AoB, and I'm going to assume it is so.

Thanks man - I've often felt like I was a nobody because we couldn't do the big stuff like the other guilds, but we had a lot of ppl who existed just to help each other.

My wife Rayj and I are STILL indebted to all our members who mailed us cash when we lost our phone and therefore our internet. We were going to have to quit the mud, and we received over $500 US in donation from our guildmembers.

We NEVER successfully did a zone, but I felt better about AoB than I did about just about any other period of my very long time on Sojourn.

Sylvos

Anyone from those days that wanna chat, drop us a line at sylrayj@golden.net. We'd love to stay in contact - there were 61 of us at one point. Image

[This message has been edited by Sylvos (edited 08-31-2001).]
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Fri Aug 31, 2001 2:22 pm

trogar - thanks for reaffirming my earlier statement about belligerence.

you've got to be one of the densest people i'll never have to meet.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Aug 31, 2001 2:36 pm

Saitcho
didnt you quit?
shoo, go enjoy that wonderful life you have rediscovered.
bye now.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Aug 31, 2001 3:49 pm

Hey sylvos, I think we managed to do vault a couple times as AoB Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:53 am

That also sounds like another guild I'm familiar with from the not-too-distant past Image

- Ragorn
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
<B>Saitcho
didnt you quit?
shoo, go enjoy that wonderful life you have rediscovered.
bye now.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Sep 01, 2001 4:33 pm

first they say dont go now they kick you out the door. i think u should come back just to piss them off saitcho. and make a drow illustionist that will show them.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”