The Last Straw ?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Waelos
Sojourner

The Last Straw ?

Postby Waelos » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:05 pm

Hi. I've been struggling lately with playing this game. With finding the desire to log on, to find something to do. to hang out, to do whatever. There are many, many things contributing to this, but today I realized something (there was a catalyst) and I don't think I can bring myself back. Let me try and explain.

I've been here for a very very long time. I've built up characters, lost them. . . had uber stuff, lost it. Rebuilt, etc. Countless hours of fun and work. In this most recent incarnation I've put again much time and effort into leveling and skill practice. For the last month I've been failing ress after ress after ress. Though there is nothing wrong with the code. At one point, I was approximately level 53.2 or so. Today, I am 49 and failed the last ress that would give me 50 back. I will not regain 50 without losing every single top skill notch that I've worked so hard to obtain. Those of you who bother to practice skills know what a loss this is. I don't log on anymore to do XP. I don't log on anymore to do skill practices. I want to try and find fun in zoning and other challenges. I've dedicated something like 80 playdays to this one character. . .Not the most but still, its significant.

Anyway, Im just on a rant I guess but I do have a suggestion.

Let us go back to the days of setbit skills. The difference being you get them at level 50. I don't know what the deal is with ress failure but I think alot of people are having the same problems. Anway...

later. maybe. *shrug*

Lost.

------------------
apprentice
Sojourner

Postby apprentice » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:35 pm

If you're that intent on not wanting to lose your level 50 99 skills, and see that you are failing many resses and losing your safety buffer, there is only one solution:

Do experience.

If you don't, you KNOW that sooner or later you will lose your level. You can't ask the staff to change this just because you are too lazy to spend a few hours rebuilding your safety buffer.

Yes I know it's possible to fail 3 resses in a row. But that also means you died 3x. If those deaths and resses spanned multiple zones, you could have done xp in between. If they are in 1 uber zone, perhaps you shouldn't have considered going to such a dangerous zone without a suitable buffer (if it's _that_ important to you.

Lastly, let's take a break here and look at the problem. You're complaining about losing 2 measly skill notches? Pcorpse rotting was delayed to 18 RL hours, permanent con loss was removed, the roller was made incredibly good, these are just some examples of the slack we have been getting. If you're bitching about this small detail, maybe you should take a break and return when the game is fun for you again. No offense, but your post sounds like a rant against the staff for not making it any fun for you anymore, and you pick this small annoyance to bitch at them.

Take a few weeks break and enjoy the game afterwards Image
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:38 pm

are you exaggerating or have you failed 10+ resses in the last 30 days. That would probably upset me too.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:20 pm

Failed 2 resses in a row, both times with 100 natural con. Gotta love it when the dice don't love you.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:42 pm

most i failed was 3 in one week.. then didnt fail for a looooonng time
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:55 pm

For those of us with a large(read: huge) amount of playtime, and days devoted, we do not want to do exp.

Speaking for myself personally, I utterly refuse to do exp. It's tedious, and burns me out on the game, to the point where I do not want to play.

I can fully sympathize with Waelos on this one. I've watched him fail resses, corpses rot because people didn't pres them, etc. So yes, he may have exaggerated slightly.. But losing 6+ corpses sucks ass.

I hope you will continue to play Wey.. I feel the exact same way about skill loss.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
I can fully sympathize with Waelos on this one. I've watched him fail resses, corpses rot because people didn't pres them, etc</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't this like 4 embalms for perm press?
How hard is that to get? I haven't had a corpse rot on me this wipe since we got ressers.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Azralek Silvermist
Sojourner

Postby Azralek Silvermist » Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:46 pm

not many necros around to press those corpses
and with weylarii playing as irregularly as he does the 2 or 3 presses the clerics usually throw on corpses are often not enough.

Azmaell/Azralek
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:08 pm

Plus he leaves corpses in odd spots, like the spellup room in roots! Truth be told though, at higher lvls exp is just not fun. Perhaps let exp keep growing past grinning to 51? Give the lvl 50s a bigger and better buffer on that final level.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tanji Smanji:
Plus he leaves corpses in odd spots, like the spellup room in roots! Truth be told though, at higher lvls exp is just not fun. Perhaps let exp keep growing past grinning to 51? Give the lvl 50s a bigger and better buffer on that final level.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While the graph doesn't go any higher, experience IS gained after that grinning notch. That's why Waelos said he thought he was at 53.2.

Erevan

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:33 pm

if hes letting corpses rot then you get no sympathy from me. failing 10 resses and being lazy and letting 10 corpses rot is totally different. in 2 minutes you can press a corpse for 20 hours. If you can't get back to it within a day, im sure you can take another 2 or 3 minutes and press it for 40 or 50 hours. Can't be bothered, enjoy doing exp and fretting over skills that arent perfect 99.

oh and gimme a break you got huge ptime so now you dont have to do exp? what you wanna just sit around and zone/get eq all the time? part of the cost of getting eq is the exp you lose when you die. I always come out ahead on exp when i zone unless we do clouds or something new like citadel. Enc do have it much harder so ill give you some credit for that, but if you dont wanna do exp, dont die.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 07-16-2002).]
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:35 am

Maybe I'm off my rocker,..yeah I am, but again MAYBE if they change failed res to losing only 80% of the amount lost instead of the full 100%? So only 14 or 16% of the level was lost, and not the full 20% or whatever it is. Only a suggestion but it'd take a bit of bit out of triple fails or any other for that matter - Hell, better yet, offer this as a 'Wish' spell *rofl* that'd rock - *I wish I hadn't lost my exp* there's a good joke for the staff Image

Crap, that got me thinking. It would be a neat idea to have a WISH spell, only offered at a store or cleric hall by a NPC? Maybe make the WISH spell uh a few $K or so...anybody else think that's good idea?

------------------
When a mob comes along, you must kill it! Kill it good!

[This message has been edited by Burpie (edited 07-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Burpie (edited 07-16-2002).]
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:22 am

comf waelos

I completely sympathize and agree.

------------------
peACe oUt
laterZ
gyrx
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:29 am

I'll perm all goodie corpses as long as you drag them somewhere not in a goodie hometown... all it requires is a little itty bitty soul in payment. Mwhaha. No just joking. On the payment that is.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:15 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>if hes letting corpses rot then you get no sympathy from me. failing 10 resses and being lazy and letting 10 corpses rot is totally different. in 2 minutes you can press a corpse for 20 hours. If you can't get back to it within a day, im sure you can take another 2 or 3 minutes and press it for 40 or 50 hours. Can't be bothered, enjoy doing exp and fretting over skills that arent perfect 99.

oh and gimme a break you got huge ptime so now you dont have to do exp? what you wanna just sit around and zone/get eq all the time? part of the cost of getting eq is the exp you lose when you die. I always come out ahead on exp when i zone unless we do clouds or something new like citadel. Enc do have it much harder so ill give you some credit for that, but if you dont wanna do exp, dont die.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 07-16-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and to add to this ..a lvl 50 shaman preses for 150 RL minutes ..2.5 hrs EACH spell (err do clerics pres for the same amount as shaman or more??) so one round of 8 preses ... well thats 20 hrs right there...

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:04 pm

Idea:
Why cant we increase the preserve spell time that it gives to the corpse not only by the level of the caster but also the level that the corpse is when that char died??

Example:
lvl47 shaman preserve gives 50 minutes
lvl47 corpse when char died 50 minutes

add them up, or whatever ye wanna do with numbers Image

Just increase the time plz Image

Last week I lost 2 corpses to rot and 1 to failed ress at level 49 and I wasn't happy! was at 92%xp(CHANTER EXP(damn how do I increase the font on this?)) to 50 b4 all that happened.

CheerZ
Tilsen
Tuga The Sunless Troll
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:47 pm

I was in wey's group when he died and it was a silly spank (jabber proced full heal when at Awful). That sucked especially when you failed the ress.

Doing exp as a high level player blows plain and simple. I am at 47 and hate doing exp. It is slow and mindless. I was recently soloing the reavers on ship which was getting me 2% every third mob. Same as doing three man smoke (I know that two man smoke is better).

I think more zones should have better exp ala Elemental tower and Jot. Nice to get exp while zoning. Really is the only way to exp over level 46.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:48 pm

I feel very fortunate. Imphras usually takes their corpses to one spot, and almost every time I see Rylan and he's not zoning he's sitting there taking care of us, either pressing or ressing. I've seen every other cleric/shaman associated with the guild in any manner spend their time there, as well. It's always nice to know your guildmates have your back, but for those who don't have that luxury, it's really not that difficult to drag your corpse to the morgue and ask a couple of little clerics/shamans to press as much as they can. If they're newbies toss some coins their way for their time, if they're not newbies, then they will more than understand. Most people really don't seem to mind taking a bit of time to help out, and for those that do... what comes around goes around.
Rurga
Sojourner

Postby Rurga » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:07 pm

You have a point Ash, but that doesnt always work. Midzone you find out you have to do something immediately after it, and you dont have time to consent and let someone drag it where ever. So it gets left, and forgotten about. Poeple run through zones, notice it and dont do much about it. It's nice having someone around to pres, but player pres might need to get increased on pc corpses. Only pc corpses though, so necros persay dont have to toss one pres on whatever level mob they're about to animate, and have to do it the normal way. If any of that babble made sense.

------------------
Rurga - The Sigil
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:20 pm

Well of course it made sense, and it's happened to me plenty of times. Just not ten times in a row.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:45 pm

Complaining about lost corpses are like complaining about not getting ressed at all.

If you don't keep a lich in your group you will lose corpses. Its the same thing as not bringing an enchanter and complaining you don't get dragonscaled.

I still can't believe that there are only 1 lich for the entire goodie populace. Isn't there ANYONE in your guild that does not play a superimportant class who could have switched during the last year? I mean, you don't need more than 1 rogue/ranger at maxium for a guild anyway.

We as evils have had the problem of lacking clerics or illusionists for zonage, so plenty of people leveled up chars for that, and even reguilded as their new character.

There is a solution to every problem, and just because some people are too lazy to get the classes needed for it, they should not demand cheaper solutions.

------------------
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:08 pm

Needless to say, I strongly agree with Jegzed.

This same issue came up with ranger haste recently.

You have the same access to necromancers and liches that we do. Foster that, roll an alt, do whatever it takes, but get some goodie liches that play and like to preserve. No offense intended to goodie necros/liches, but they are definately not a representation of the zone abilities of the class.

Not only that. It takes 24 preserves from a level 50 cleric or shaman to make sure that a corpse -never rots-. How many people knew that? Really, it isn't that hard. If people care about their corpses, they make it a priority, as many of my friends have. If people don't make it a priority, they have no right to whine about not having enough exp afterwards.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:07 pm

After Ebgar left nobody really pres'd corpses @ the house... u guys need to find a replacement.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Azralek Silvermist
Sojourner

Postby Azralek Silvermist » Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:09 pm

Since this is sliding a bit off the topic

Let me just point out Weylarii's main complaint was losing his skill notches and have to practice up skills again.

Before anyone makes analogies
Spellcasters might lost a spellslot but they gain it back instatly on leveling and they dont need to request thier spells or rescribe them.

Warr/hitters die more often in zones than other classes and often times lose a level since they dont ress till after so for them the issue of regaining skills is a serious irritation.

I agree that its uneeded.

Azmaell/Azralek
Allycis
Sojourner

Postby Allycis » Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:01 pm

I noticed if you take 4 years off and then come back its fun again for a couple months
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:48 pm

Ok, if you want to talk about pressing and corpse rot, how about I give you a little scenario that happened to me.

Was killing doing a fairly easy mob with as few people as possible, won't get into the details of HOW it happened. Needless to say I reentered, ran to RC, and proceeded to start repraying. My cable connection died just after I'd consented for group again. I couldn't connect for an hour, so I gave up and figured I'd come back in 6 or so hours and try again.

Lo and behold when I get back on, I ask people if my corpse was moved. I was aware that it had been brought to smoke plane, which would have been fine by me. I was told however that it was also moved off that plane and placed in a room in WD and a presser was set to work on it. At this time I had 2 other corpses there in that house bringing the total to 3. Somehow, my first corpse wasn't pressed at all(the one w/ eq), or was pressed 1x and left. I ended up losing 2 transient items, but a guildmate picked up the rest of my stuff.

Needless to say this was an isolated incedent, but it goes to show that just because one thing is crystal clear in your mind, doesn't mean it is in other people's.

Wey has a point. Spending 80+ pdays here(this wipe), among countless pdays in the past, and having to go back to what you did from level 1-41 is rediculous.

I have been a huge advocate for making zones be worth more experience. Several people have said that you shouldn't get more experience for going to a zone because you are getting equipment. That right there is complete BS. I have watched numerous level 50 players decline on taking any items from a zone, simply because they were there for fun and don't need anything.

Now this might not happen on the evil side, who knows. But I still cannot find a seriously good reason behind penalizing those people but giving them the chance to die, but not having an equal chance to gain experience.

If in the real world you could sit on this computer 8 hours a day for 2 years, and then have someone give you a BS degree in programming, then places like ship make sense to have the best experience.

This isn't the case though, you don't learn anything when you risk nothing.

Increase the experience from mobs in places that are a)hard to get to, b)very dangerous(i.e. roaming level 45+ mobs), and c) where you are actually learning something.

I personally think this makes sense.

Thoughts?

Twyl

------------------
Not as lost...

<P:std> lost
You are totally and utterly lost! Next time bring a compass!
< 401h/401H 128v/128V >
<P:std> You receive an ornate compass from Twyl.
You give an ornate compass to Twyl.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:11 pm

I think you have crappy pressers. I have had one corpse rot that was under my charge, meaning it was someone from a group I was in, or someone who asked me to preserve it. One corpse, out of several thousand easily.

About skill loss, this has been brought up before:
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000749.html
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000913.html
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000684.html
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000403.html
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000635.html

------------------
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:13 pm

It has also been mentioned many times that actual zones do have much better experience than normal exp places.

------------------
Azralek Silvermist
Sojourner

Postby Azralek Silvermist » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:26 pm

guess its' been posted one more place then
and

shrug crappy presser's or what not
the end result is the same.

Azmaell/Azralek
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Todrael:
<B>It has also been mentioned many times that actual zones do have much better experience than normal exp places.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think 75-80% of my exp from 46+ has come from zoning.

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:00 pm

100% of Ash's exp came from zoning.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:54 pm

Todrael is a tool! Image

But seriously, thanks tod Image

------------------
peACe oUt
laterZ
gyrx
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:10 pm

Well there is one lich i consider a sister on the goodies side .. tho i have never ever grouped with her so i don't know her ways .. but..

I am quite sure we have the BEST lich's Image do you guys know how much we appreciate you? with you it is so automatic for you to start embalming ASAP we don't even have to ask

just a quick thank you SOOO much Image

i have caught our lich's embalming people they didnt even know at DK ftn and now at the mausoleum....

love you guys Image

btw give lich's undead sight !!!!!! and reset their HT's outta aggro towns!!!!(little plug for lich's :P)

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:42 pm

I don't think it is so much a problem pressing as the skill loss thing that sucks. I had plenty buffer then died 7 times today CRing n stuff so lost 50 and all my maxed skills Image. Painfull, certainly doesn't make me wan't to play and make them go back up again, they take SO long (think meditate)...

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:41 am

i have everything in the game but i hate doing anything that doesnt get me more new shiny things. when i die, the people i know are lazy and dont do anything - and i have to work. what the hell is up with that!!!! next i am going to have to start walking from one zone to the next and they are going to take away elevators in hell.

losing 2 skill notches makes me want to quit the game. after spending a couple thousand hours on my character - i should have immunity to each and every ailment that i will belittle others for having to deal with. upon reaching my status in the game i should be immune to death, corpse rot, skill loss, and funny looking players wearing pink articles.

oddly enough, todrael has more ptime than waelos . . . yet . . . is . . not? . . . complaining . . . does not . . . compute . . .

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:12 pm

1) staff has done everything to try to acomadate us and our whiny ass crybaby opinions

2) they uped auto pres (ie not moved will stay for 18hours now?) or looted so its safe to walk away ....

3) made presses last longer ie easier to pres...

4) if you dont get pressed its your fault as well as the people who were with you/were told to help latters fault...

5) i think i speak for everyone when i say...
"resurection % failor has NOT been changed"
but the dice realy suck Image

i have lost corpses, i have failed resses, few of each were my fault 1 of each wasnt, but i take some responsiblity... i didnt implicity ask someone to pres or specificly

6) warriors lvl like nothing so exp is not the problem you can get from 46-50 in whut 2 weeks max?

7)skill notches suck,

8) all of these things are the same OR are BETTER FOR PLAYERS than previous incarnations.. what are we complaining about?
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:15 pm

I agree with wey on this one. Casters dont need to re-quest their spells like Dscales/gate/ress etc after losing lvl 46/41 respectivly. Why is this different as far as skills go? If you learn it once, i think it should be learned, maybe not useable until you regain your lvl, but still there. Maybe set it up as to when you die and lose a lvl, it copies your skill stats on a backup file for your chr, and when you regain that lvl the stats are then replaced and restored by the backup file? I agree that when you lose a lvl you should not have max skills, but i also think it is a waste of ones time and effort to have to relearn these skills. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour or so just to notch once in disarm trap. It has taken me 3 weeks to notch once in hide and i am not even capped on it for my lvl yet.

That is all.

------------------
"Kill them all, God will know his own." -Domingo de Guzman, A.K.A Saint Dominic
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>
oddly enough, todrael has more ptime than waelos . . . yet . . . is . . not? . . . complaining . . . does not . . . compute . . .

Tod hasn't been here NEARLY as long as Wey, if you count previous wipes.

Twyl

------------------
I am jack's complete lack of effort.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>I agree with wey on this one. Casters dont need to re-quest their spells like Dscales/gate/ress etc after losing lvl 46/41 respectivly. Why is this different as far as skills go? If you learn it once, i think it should be learned, maybe not useable until you regain your lvl, but still there. Maybe set it up as to when you die and lose a lvl, it copies your skill stats on a backup file for your chr, and when you regain that lvl the stats are then replaced and restored by the backup file? I agree that when you lose a lvl you should not have max skills, but i also think it is a waste of ones time and effort to have to relearn these skills. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour or so just to notch once in disarm trap. It has taken me 3 weeks to notch once in hide and i am not even capped on it for my lvl yet.

Casters also lose skill notches, and they matter JUST as much as yours.

------------------
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:55 pm

Actually, I promised myself that if I ever lost level 50 and was unable to regain it without exping, I'd take a nice long vacation. I've always thought skill loss on level loss was bogus. I got my last spellcast divination notch last week, on my 165th playing day.

The reason I don't consider this a problem for me is because I always take considerable measures to ensure that this never happens to me. Every corpse I ever produce is preserved so that it will never rot, and then ressed within 24 hours, max. I do not take unnecessary risks in zones or while CRing when a better alternative is available (asking for more help). I always keep track of where my corpse is, making sure it is easily accessible later. Every time I have dropped below 98% since I attained level 50 (twice), I have exp'd on ship until I felt it was healthily above 98% again, bitching and moaning the whole way.

Unfortunately, many people do not consider taking these preventative measures, and they lose corpses, levels, and skill notches. The point is, there's a lot you, as a player, can do about it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Todrael (edited 07-19-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jul 19, 2002 5:52 pm

its primarily a matter of perception.

some of you think exp is over at 50. It is if you dont mind losing 50 all the time. for those of you that believe 2 skill notches are the end of the world, i suggest you exp up to 50.500% or something. You have an option, its up to you to determine whether another 2,5, 10 days of mindless exp is more important than 2 notches. For my shaman it is not (50.10). For my warrior it is (after 10 corpses my exp was still > 50.98).

If we couldn't gain exp past 50.00 then, I might support join you in requesting major changes, but thats not the case.
Azralek Silvermist
Sojourner

Postby Azralek Silvermist » Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:08 pm

Some of us dont think exp is over at 50

but with reduced playtime some of us now have exping a lot is not something we have time for unless we forego zoning. which face it no matter who you are what lvl you are is one of the fun parts of playing the main reason we lvled to 50 in the first place and the thing that keeps us coming back.

That said i dont mind doing exp i however hate practicing skills and find it mind numbingly boring.

* in my opinion
Skill loss hurts hitter/tanks more since they are entirely skill based classes yes i know some of them get spells.

Azmaell/Azralek
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B> Casters also lose skill notches, and they matter JUST as much as yours.

If you read closer I never said anything about casters not losing skill points. I am completely aware of this fact. My point was that a spell and a skill are both being learned, yet you will forget a skill but not a spell. This in ways defys logic.

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:13 pm

The spell is written into a book and you gain the mastery of your craft upon level to cast that spell, whether you had it in your book before that point or not. You lose all your books, you lose all your spells, and if there's not another caster who can teach those to you available, then you pay for them again. Skill loss is more harsh on the hitter classes because they have so many more skills to practice, but that still doesn't change the fact that if you have more than level 51 in exp, you're going to have to start ditching corpses right and left in order to lose 50 and lose those skill notches. There are people willing and available to help avoid the loss of corpses, but it's up to you to make sure your corpse is gotten where it needs to go. If you just up and lose 10 corpses... well... can the loss of those skill notches really be blamed on anything but the fact that you didn't protect your investment? I don't know if all those corpses were lost to ress failure, but that seems to be pushing it.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:26 pm

And that's the longest paragraph I've ever written, shame on me for not breaking that up.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:53 pm

God is this total bs. If u dont give me my xp back i'm gonna quick. Sok was lvl 50 w/ perfect con. i have failed 120 resses in a row, now i'm only lvl 21. God, yes you god, i know u see me, dont turn your head, u better set me back to 50 or else i'm gonna only spend 12 hrs a day mudding. yeah how u like that. u heard me. i would cut my mud time in half. i'm not kidding i will do it. dont double dare me cuz i will.

sok
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
The spell is written into a book and you gain the mastery of your craft upon level to cast that spell, whether you had it in your book before that point or not. You lose all your books, you lose all your spells, and if there's not another caster who can teach those to you available, then you pay for them again. Skill loss is more harsh on the hitter classes because they have so many more skills to practice, but that still doesn't change the fact that if you have more than level 51 in exp, you're going to have to start ditching corpses right and left in order to lose 50 and lose those skill notches. There are people willing and available to help avoid the loss of corpses, but it's up to you to make sure your corpse is gotten where it needs to go. If you just up and lose 10 corpses... well... can the loss of those skill notches really be blamed on anything but the fact that you didn't protect your investment? I don't know if all those corpses were lost to ress failure, but that seems to be pushing it.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hrm...i guess i stand corrected as far as the spell goes, i didnt really think about it being written down. But cant you mem quest spells w/o your book? Just wondering the reason behind this. If so, why would you have to memorize a spell when it is already memorized to the point where you dont need a book? Clerics dont have spellbooks, either do shamans. What about their quest spells?

Downgrade Ashiwi posts!

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:24 am

I think spellquest spells are hardcoded into the caster's repertoire, but I'm honestly not sure since I've never gotten my little chanter that high.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tasan:
<B> Tod hasn't been here NEARLY as long as Wey, if you count previous wipes.

Twyl

i dont.

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:33 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sok:
<B>God is this total bs. If u dont give me my xp back i'm gonna quick. Sok was lvl 50 w/ perfect con. i have failed 120 resses in a row, now i'm only lvl 21. God, yes you god, i know u see me, dont turn your head, u better set me back to 50 or else i'm gonna only spend 12 hrs a day mudding. yeah how u like that. u heard me. i would cut my mud time in half. i'm not kidding i will do it. dont double dare me cuz i will.

sok</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

roffel

------------------

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”