the holy scepter of Grolantor

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Myre
Sojourner

the holy scepter of Grolantor

Postby Myre » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:17 am

Not that anyone actually ever reads these posts....but...

just for point of principle shouldn't
the holy scepter of Grolantor be the UNholy scepter of Grolantor. Considering it is evil only.

figured it's a relatively quick change of 2 letters in the code?

Oh well just a thought.
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:47 am

Won't happen, doesn't need to happen, plus to much contriversy over the zone in the 1st place.

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:33 pm

Holy to an evil 'god' is still holy. The scepter should be holy to anyone serving Grolantor, and unholy to anyone serving torm, for example.

-Lorgan

------------------
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:27 pm

I agree with Zen, it's a relative term.
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:14 pm

Okay by your definition then..

an evil cleric should be able to cast "HOLY word" even if it kills them instantly for doing it.

By your definition it causes an inconsistancy in the MUD.
asamoth
Sojourner

Postby asamoth » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:33 pm

Hey cool. Technically all clerics should run around casting holy word and not be smitten by it (cept mebe neu clerics). Coding that would cause lots of headaches I think =)

Asamoth - Hey look thrym is casting holy word now!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:52 pm

What about unholy stars, unholy swords, etc.?

*nitpick*

------------------
You tell Ushug 'err... spankmistress??'
Ushug tells you 'you can't help it, I've always thought of mori as a chick'
Kerath
Sojourner

Postby Kerath » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:00 pm

Any mention of 'unholy' items is clearly a result of goodiecentric views on the MUD, since we never see good-aligned items being described as 'unholy'. Down with the tyranny of the majority!
asamoth
Sojourner

Postby asamoth » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:01 pm

More coding? =)
We could flag every object when looked at to check the align of the looker and add an un or not in front of the holy.

Might be screwy around neutrals tho. Hmm...

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:04 pm

You people will argue over anything, won't you? :P
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiaransalee:
You people will argue over anything, won't you? :P</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No we won't! :P

------------------
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by asamoth:
<B>Hey cool. Technically all clerics should run around casting holy word and not be smitten by it (cept mebe neu clerics). Coding that would cause lots of headaches I think =)

Asamoth - Hey look thrym is casting holy word now!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But do you realize how fun it is as an Evil Cleric to be smitten by casting Holy Word? That was by far my second funnest death!!

I agree with Zen as well, it does not really bother me none. Sure there are a few little inconsistencies. It is a little nitpicky to concentrate on these little minor things, when there is so much of the fantastic world that has been created to experience.

Just my humble n00blet opinion.

Oh, and nitpicking, that is a 2 point flaw right Image

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zen:
<B> No we won't! :P

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes we will!

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B> yes we will!

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no we won't god dammit!
Akadees
Sojourner

Postby Akadees » Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:54 pm

I guess as a neutral cleric then all item will be sorta holy except for item to my God which would be holy and item from gods opposed to my god, which would be unholy. BTW who is my God?

It is my understanding that Faerun has a whole pantheon. Would it be difficult to program in the pantheon then make each item holy or unholy dependant on who your god is or if it the item belongs to a diety who opposes yours?

Heheh, my 2 cents.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Akadees:
It is my understanding that Faerun has a whole pantheon. Would it be difficult to program in the pantheon then make each item holy or unholy dependant on who your god is or if it the item belongs to a diety who opposes yours?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if this was implemented it would take 2 days for people to find ways to abuse it, a week for someone to find ways for it to crash the game, 10 days for someone to bitch about it on the bbs, and 2 weeks for the gods to want to start nuking people.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:55 pm

Semantics.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Akadees
Sojourner

Postby Akadees » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:10 pm

I love seeing serious responses to joking questions. When I wrote I wrote in jest. The effort required to program in the entire pantheon, make all paladins, anti-paladins, clerics, and such choose a Suitable God, take every single "Holy Item" and assign it to a God, then choose which Gods were antithetical to others, Neutral, or Allies; then program in how each item would respond dependant on strength of item, religion of user, etc., would be incredible.
Of course it would add greatly to the feeling of the game but it obviously would take very little time for people to start abusing it. BTW, I love all you guys anyway Image

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”