Where's the end game?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Dalar
Sojourner

Where\'s the end game?

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:29 am

For many people Tiamat was the end-game of Sojourn3. Now that Tiamat has been removed from game, where is the end-game? Bronze Citadel I guess? I'm talking about zones that would be done at the most once a week or month. Here's some ideas:

1) Character flags. Doing a certain quest lets you enter an area. I always liked the concept of preparing for a zone.

2) Activated invasions.

3) I ran out of ideas b/c it's late Image

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Cifle tells you 'i am gonna take a wild guess, but is your evil alt dartana?'
You tell Cifle '*golf clap*'
Cifle tells you 'Call me Sherlok'
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:23 am

I don't believe I really have any suggestions, but I do have thoughts.

More or less tiamat is the end all be all, as of now of fun + end + sweet eq + more fun + wow + o my + needs to be put back in so we can do it again.

Bronze citadel is lots of fun, but the fight is so weakass, its stupid I swear.

There isn't really a end so to speak, because people are always making new zones, and new tweaks are being made.

Pwipes are the most fun, the most challengeing, and shows who has the most skill. Though you could have tons of playing time and lvl to 50, doesn't mean all that much.

Should we have been able to beat tiamat at all? A true contriversy arrizes in my opinion. We have these great items, and did this great fight, but only a select few were able to do this? This kind of made it the end for the people who actually did it, though people who didn't are left wondering and dreaming about it, which may keep the fireing burning longer.

I don't think there is a right answer.

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:43 am

I don't think Bronze Citadel is that much harder than Clouds or Hulburg.

Its about twenty times as fun though Image

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:22 pm

Tell you what...
For those who want to have 'beaten' soj, why not run a quest that allows for it. They would have to turn in uber items from every last zone in the game, and at the end of it, their char level and hps would be reset to level 1 and their eq wiped. In return, they would recieve a single piece of eq back, with improved stats over the normal one, and a restring.

For example, say Dalar decides to "beat" soj and turns in all his gear. The last item he hands in is a skullsmasher. When he reincarnates, he retains a title, and his skullsmasher has been flagged with brighter, bolder ansi, and does an additional 2 damage.

------------------
Xisiqomelir OOC: 'Human girls are for eating '
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:26 pm

woo, now that i like
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:37 pm

Asking this question is just like asking how do you "beat" life.

You never win Sojourn, you can do it all and have done it all, but you can never truely beat the game, vast RP opportunities are there for you to continue to live, of course Sojourn3 is a power mud, so you sort of have to force the RP issue.

Life is like an abstract painting:
When you begin life, it is like a blank canvass, with each experience you have it is like a stroke of a paint brush, and when you finally die you have something beautiful that remains.

Perhaps, when you think your painting can no longer keep taking the stokes, you retire.

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:10 am

If Sojourn3 is a power mud, Ilshadrial will fit right in!

------------------
-Yayaril
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:52 am

I'm not talking about "winning" sojourn3 I mean where's that trophy (Tiamat) that players strive for now?

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Cifle tells you 'i am gonna take a wild guess, but is your evil alt dartana?'
You tell Cifle '*golf clap*'
Cifle tells you 'Call me Sherlok'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:07 am

why should RP be forced on us? i have yet to see anything the convince me that RP is anything other than a way to reward certain players, but thats cool. i can deal with that.

but those of us who play for the social aspects, and the game aspect . . we would like our shot as well.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:19 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
why should RP be forced on us? i have yet to see anything the convince me that RP is anything other than a way to reward certain players, but thats cool. i can deal with that.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to disagree with that statement. I don't view RP as a way to reward certain players. I've played _many_ char's this wipe, ask anyone who knows me, I have atleast five zone worthy chars. That being said, I always wanted to get into the RP stuff going on, but really never knew how. So there came a day where I pretty much said screw it, and rolled Arilin. I had a story set for him in mind, I stuck to it from level one. I for lack of better wording forced my way into the campaign by actively roleplaying with people. It just so happened Ari's story works well with what's going on, and as it stands now, I am another player in the vast game.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">but those of us who play for the social aspects, and the game aspect . . we would like our shot as well.</font>

I agree with you there. RP shouldn't be enforced. I played a mud like that years ago. Was total crap. There's nothing wrong with playing the game just to socialize.

------------------
Arilin Nydelahar, Keeper of the Hand.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:26 am

how about just something to do once you've done all the zones.

like crafting.

allow players to craft items like weapons, armor, potions, etc. mind you this would take a crapload of time to become proficient at, and the highest level stuff you can make should require drop/rare drop items.

just an idea.
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:30 am

Talk about timely. Just read an article on the mudconnect.com that deals with this issue. http://mudconnector.com/articles/dm/bored.html

As the author suggests this is only an article only touching the surface of this topic, but it is an interesting read.

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor
and now the new improved Pofas!!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:43 am

theres an end to this game?

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:59 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>I'm not talking about "winning" sojourn3 I mean where's that trophy (Tiamat) that players strive for now?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually if you follow my proposal, you'll have a definite, distinct trophy that will ultimately be even rarer than Tia eq. Thus making it more valuable, right?

------------------
Chandigar group-says 'FS: Full body armor, ac5, -5 hit -5 dam, prot mori'
Nekler group-says 'do NOT rescue mori. he is to die this trip :P'
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
i have yet to see anything the convince me that RP is anything other than a way to reward certain players</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am still a newbie and know very little about what goes on. How are people who rp rewarded?

- Mike
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:22 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yarash:
<B> I am still a newbie and know very little about what goes on. How are people who rp rewarded?

- Mike</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rarely, during Imm-run quests, items were awarded.

------------------
Chandigar group-says 'FS: Full body armor, ac5, -5 hit -5 dam, prot mori'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:10 am

taking my idea here:
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002088.html

------------------
Nunaethil tells you 'You'll be missing out! So far we have the WD fountain totally under control.'

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”