Weapon Fumbles

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Wobb
Sojourner

Weapon Fumbles

Postby Wobb » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:13 pm

Why can't you pick up your weapon while casting a spell?

I haven't bothered to make or (copy) a fancy trigger that waits until a spellcast is complete to pick up my weapon for 2 reasons:

1. Under normal circumstances, its not needed, I'll just pick up my weapon manually when the spell is done.
2. Having to trigger everything in life bloats the trigger set.

But honestly, why can't you pick up your weapon while casting? I'll admit i'm tainted right now because I just lost a nice weapon.

I propose one of 2 things, either allow casters to pick up weapons their weapons while casting a spell, in fact, perhaps we need to create a new command for getting your weapon, which will also help with failed disarm attempts, and will prevent some kind of twinking with the "get" command during spellcasts.

--or--

Perhaps "get" during a spellcast makes you abort the spell and carry through your commands, maybe even make it a toggle. "toggle abortcast" Players can choose to have it one way or the other. So if they are doing a high level zone and don't want to abort spells, they have this option.

I know there is a troupe of players who look at this whole thing and go, "but you can do all that with your own triggers." I'm aware of this, its not the point of the post.

Wobb

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
Nassis
Sojourner

Postby Nassis » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:25 pm

Make your get-weapon-trigger {abort;get weapon}? Should me about like "abortcast", no? Image
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:26 pm

Thought of that too. Looking more for a answer to the question, that's all.

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:43 pm

I don't think theres a answer, cause I'm pretty sure they can't change the codeing to make it so you can do a command while casting. If they can then o my...

I suggest useing a cursed weapon on a caster that you won't fumble. I fumbled a weapon b4 and it crashed. So I lost, it I got anotehr one like it and cursed it. Thaz how it goes.

Or just useing what most people use nebulas what u can't fumble. Casters aren't hitters never have been. You should be casting. Thaz how it goes. I never used the proc mace from crypts for that exact reason.

Yes I do see people useing hitter gear to plvl at low levels thaz fine too, but casters are still casters whether u like it or not.

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rokub:
<B>
Yes I do see people useing hitter gear to plvl at low levels thaz fine too, but casters are still casters whether u like it or not.

Rokub

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, and this isn't a flame, but not everyone shares that point of view. I don't need to encapsulate my enjoyment of the game into "I need to be powerleveled, or I need to fit into the cookie-cutter post that all casters have carved before me". I am finding new enjoyment in the game by leveling up a cleric. There are many reasons for a cleric to wield and many of them do not fit into the "well you gotta do it this way" philosophy.

The point isn't to be the ultimate caster holding nebulas or other so I have max hps. It's a 2 handed weapon actually, and I was doing nice damage with it, until I lost it. Also as a soloing device it's necessary. The goal isn't to get to level 50 as fast as I can, the goal is to enjoy the game at the levels I am at, and a lot of that enjoyment came from wielding this weapon, and now its gone. And yes, while even in a few weeks the weapon can be replaced, the enjoyment of using it and the time that goes by inbetween cannot.

My simple question remains.

Good discussion!

------------------
Wobb
Ashemiem
Sojourner

Postby Ashemiem » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:44 pm

Aside from the cookie-cutter mentality of 'You should just hold nebulas', Rokub is correct. As a caster, your best option is to have a cursed weapon. I wield skullsmasher, which I cursed specifically for two reasons.

1) Fumbling just before casting is annoying, and I'm not going to abort a full heal so that I can pick up my hammer I only occasionally hit with.

2) As an elf, the damn hammer is too heavy for me to wield without a buttload of strength, and I need to remove a ring to wield it. Can't do that in battle.

Rokub is also correct in that the damage caused by melee as a caster is negligible. You will almost always get more benefit from casting than you will wielding, thus just having a weapon you don't need to think about is idea. The mace from crypts, myth drannor mace for goodies and grolantor scepter for evil aligns are all flagged !drop when you get them, so aim for one of those if you want to wield a weapon.

Ashemiem Autumnmoon
Warrior-Priest of Corellon

------------------
Mplor group-says 'dugmaren must be very proud... he levels us up in smoke and de-levels us in muspelheim'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:58 pm

How did you fumble while casting anyway?

While casting a spell, you don't do anything, including attack - which means you can't fumble during casting.

This means you fumbled and then cast a spell afterwards, preventing yourself from getting the weapon. Include something in your get weapon trigger so that if it returns a "You are too busy casting" or whatever, then the "You complete your spell" or whatever will reactivate your get weapon trigger.
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>How did you fumble while casting anyway?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never said I fumbled while casting.

------------------
Wobb
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:50 pm

Slightly off topic, but I am going to mention it anyway. I too have cursed my skullsmasher. I think it's a good idea for warriors to do, as it enables them to bash where there is no footing (e.g., on water, on !ground, etc.) I don't know about giantsbane or rockcrusher (floaters?) but I would think it would make sense to curse these too if they already aren't. Sorry I don't know, but I dont play dawrf warrior anymore.

As Ashemiem says the cursing of the weapon is beneficial from a vaster's standpoint - and from a warrior standpoint as well. If you really fear losing dice due to curse then you are living in the past, when melee actually used to mean something. Skullsmasher and all proc weapons are good for there respective procs and those procs only, imho.

I'm not bitter, I just crush alot.

Toarn

------------------
Ythera ASSOC:: 'I killed santa- he's an elf'
Nibbil group-says 'is it bad to pass up booty cause you feel like mudding?'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:58 pm

The damage you lose from cursing a weapon is negated by those extra hits you get with the weapon when it would normally be laying on the ground.

------------------
-Yayaril
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:27 pm

No it doesn't. How often do you think a 40+ warrior fumbles a weapon? Now remove the additional damage per hit and it will be no where close.

Could there be other reasons? Yes, like not losing "my precious", but the damage you lost is gone forever.

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor
and now the new improved Pofas!!
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:29 pm

Okay kinda an open post to the mud to help a friend that got kicked..

I'm lookin for a mistweve or better that someone has for trade to help my buddy out!

He's a dorf clerik...so we need a mistweve, rockcrusher, or skullsmasher or something..

i got exactly 1 buttload of 1440 items for trade (and yes it's that many items not an exaggeration) but i have very few coins.

So Step up you mace storing eq runners!

Who's got one for trade for muh buddy!

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”