New race speculation

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
namatoki
Sojourner

New race speculation

Postby namatoki » Thu Mar 01, 2001 11:29 pm

Heh, heh... Let's have some fun with this one. Image

Well, since there is a new race implemented and we are all curious to know what it is, I thought it might be fun to take some guesses at what the new race might be. Well, seeing that there are 7 goodie races and only 6 evil races, I am guessing evils get the new race. I heard a rumor that the new race was myconid but quickly dismissed that since myconids aren't evil and who the heck wants to play a big mushroom? I hear a lot of people guessing orc, but I don't know how many people really want to play orc. Then I got to thinking half-orc, since half-orcs could get a shot at being anti-paladins too (since I heard from a couple of imms that APs aren't going to be goodie race, i.e. human, only.). But my real guess is githyanki. I bet a lot of you folks would love to roll up a githyanki. I can see githyanki APs and mages. And for innates, some psionic abilities like project would be cool. Heh, I think githyanki would be fun.

What do you guys think? Image

Nizrath
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 01, 2001 11:39 pm

The new race will be kobold. Stats on the stat scale: str 30 con 20 agi 120 dex 130 int 60 wis 60 luck 0 Image Classes available: bum, streetsweeper and slave. Innate abilities: whine, beg and grovel.
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:12 am

it will be... the pink bunnies! yes the pink bunnies... a well known tribe of giant feirce bunny rabbits... stats 500 for all... yea thats it piunk bunnies... innates... hop, skip, jump

[This message has been edited by Thurg (edited 03-01-2001).]
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:40 am

I heard through various sources that you'll be able to play a pod.. New classes that were coded were:

grandpa
grandma
podling

Innate skills:

superior squishyness
'please don't hurt me' (my favorite)
flee (wait everyone has that...)
tog wimpy 1

Interesting list, but it's true! honest! Image

Mal
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:44 am

I'd like to see githyanki's come in. Orcs
would be ok, if they didn't take out the monk class; they'd probably be to stupid to be effective casters, and too small to make good APs or warriors, etc. (although the 3E orcs are pretty big with a +2 strength innate--as opposed to a hobbit-sized tolkienesk orc.

Nice illustration of a Githyanki:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm_gallery/GithYankiWarrior.jpg
Tugunk
Sojourner

Postby Tugunk » Fri Mar 02, 2001 7:02 am

I'm kind of hoping that it will be Svirfneblin so that all the godies can come and hang in the underdark and stop rolling evils to get eq from there.
Also, from the stories I read, I think it would be really fun to play a svirf conji. Imagine the size of the earth mentals they could summon!

Tugunk
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:04 am

IMHO Gith are one of the worst races they could put in. Monks might have been "bad" but gith are way worse. It just seems damn silly to me.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Fri Mar 02, 2001 8:51 pm

Monks good giths bad... too many races very bad.

-House of Zra'Taeriz
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Fri Mar 02, 2001 8:55 pm

You know i see all these titles like junior member and seinor member and stuff maybe i should get my title set as JO DADDY!
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Mar 02, 2001 9:08 pm

My 2 cents... Cuz I have a big mouth.

Githyanki, as a race, would be a bad idea. And I should hope most of you have more faith in them than that. Image

Let's not get our panties in a bunch about this just yet, until we hear more from the admins. Image

Mal
Ulnd
Sojourner

Postby Ulnd » Fri Mar 02, 2001 9:09 pm

Malacar You forgot one innate skill of a New Pod race:

picking up weapons the instant they are dropped.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Mar 02, 2001 9:35 pm

whoa! myconids would rule! Myconid fungus Druid, baby! *cackle*

... ok, so maybe not :P
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Fri Mar 02, 2001 9:40 pm

Okay, so some of you didn't like githyanki, but you failed to say *why* you didn't like the githyanki idea. Githyanki would be bad because of their innates? Their hatred of illithids? That they are stinky? What is it? Image

Anyway, I still think githyanki would be cool, but I guess we'll have to wait and see in a month or so...

Nizrath
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:35 pm

My money is on Saugheim (sp?) Scuba Peeps Image
Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc
Sojourner

Postby Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc » Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:40 pm

the new race should be umber hulks!!! warrior only race with innate confusion, 2d8 barehand dammage and ac 0. yeah thats it!!

(actually i still think it would be soooo cool to play a kobold thief :)
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:06 pm

Mkay lets look at this logically:

Good races:
Dwarf
Elf
Halfelf
Halfling
Gnome
Human

Evil Races:
Drow
Troll
Ogre
Squid
Snake
Deurgar

Hrm. 6 on 6 . . . And any race can join the evil race side (through outcasting)

Adding another Evil race PC would throw the balance out of whack. So I would hope they would be adding a race that can be either/or or adding another good race.

The chances of that? Slim, imho. Evil races are much more workable. What good races could be added? Any thoughts? The logical (and no offense _boring_) choice for a race would be some orcish derrivitive. Ho hum. They could be good or evil.

You know what would be _really_ interesting? Something _beyond_ all of our wild imaginations?

Adding Svirfneblin.

OMG a _good_ race in the UD!? GAAA! hehe

I wanna see subraces of elves added! (Hey, there's wild elven settlements in der EM! make it PC race!) -end plug.

but there are just so many evil races out there to choose from:

Githyanki, goblins, kobolds, Xvarts, gnolls, flinds, Orcs, hobgoblins, buttmonkeys, etc.

Chance favors an evil race.

We shall see I spose!

lOst
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Postby Fezbozz » Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:39 pm

Ya forgot Barbarians on the goodie side so the goodies do have one more and I thought they are getting rid of outcasting. Anyway I think Deep Gnomes would still be a cool race to add. How about aquatic elves and maybe sahuagin. That would add a new flavor.
Alistra
Sojourner

Postby Alistra » Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:44 pm

SMURFS! That would be sooooo very very cool... but where would I find the time to play more races?! Better make it orcish so I'll be able to resist the urge/need to roll one. *nod me*
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat Mar 03, 2001 12:45 am

Githyanki would be bad because they view all mortals as beneath them. None would resort, except as cannon fodder, to using a mortal of any race for their own ends. They are vastly powerful, and dwell almost exclusively on the Astral Plane. My guess is the new race will be one that spawned and dwells on the Prime Material Plane.

Mal
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Sat Mar 03, 2001 12:58 am

Well, in that respect, illithids also possess the same view point as githyanki. Since when would an illithid ever group with a troll or ogre? Illithids believe they are the master race and all should serve them. In reality, they don't need tanks because they kill things on sight. One mind blast and you're done for. If it doesn't kill you, it sure will stun you and the next one will finish you off. So, yeah, there are a lot of things in Soj that isn't close to D&D reality, because it makes the mud *playable*. (I can go on and on about things in the mud that aren't based on D&D reality such as fireball not hitting everything standing next to the target.) Ok, so fine, maybe it won't be githyanki, but at least I made my points.

Oh yeah, Waelost, you did forget Barbies (like Fezbozz mentioned) and let's hope they don't take offense to that. Image And again, Fezbozz is correct in that there is no more outcasting. It is gone. *wave*

I know! I hope the new race is titans! Or maybe dragons! Or better yet, have both in and get rid of all the other races! Image

Oh well...

Nizrath
Braggo
Sojourner

Postby Braggo » Sat Mar 03, 2001 2:16 am

Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc - the new race should be umber hulks!!! warrior only race with innate confusion, 2d8 barehand dammage and ac 0. yeah thats it!!
(actually i still think it would be soooo cool to play a kobold thief Image

Pat that's an ogre! ;-)

Braggo Boulderbasher

[This message has been edited by Braggo (edited 03-02-2001).]
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Sat Mar 03, 2001 6:53 am

Hey what about a vampire race? It would be sooo cool. What about a werewolf race? Better yet, make it so that the race is not obtainable from character creation. Instead, when you get bitten by a werewolf or a vampire, there's a small random chance for the effect to be permanent. This would make the risk for fighting those creature a lot greater. On top of that, it creates such a fun and unique race that we have never seen before. Wouldn't it be cool to be the only vampire/werewolf race character on the whole mud? Although eventually, as the mud ages, the race will grow bigger and bigger and bigger... =P

Wargo
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat Mar 03, 2001 8:10 am

Actually, Illithids will associate with the intelligent races. Sometimes as slaves, sometimes as informants, sometimes as a bodyguard, etc.

They don't fear anyone, trust anyone, and they believe they are superior(which they probably are as a whole... The linked mind and all).

Mal
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Sat Mar 03, 2001 9:19 am

Last weekend we did an Illithid mini-module staged inside an Illithid master brain fortress. The fortress was made of magical brain matter that reacted with different offensive spells when attacked.

Would be an interesting concept for a zone methinks.

Perhaps a cave near BG, or a mine shaft.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”