Images in Signatures Disabled

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Images in Signatures Disabled

Postby Shevarash » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:07 am

I have disabled images in signatures. This web server runs on the same machine as the MUD itself, and we cannot afford to waste our bandwidth on loads and loads of .sig images - which also tend to mess up the alignment of threads.

An option to allow users to view/post images in signatures may be implemented sometime in the future, but for now...you get the picture.
Last edited by Shevarash on Fri May 16, 2003 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:12 am

Thank you. Now please disable polls too! =)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:43 am

Shev,

Any chance we might be allowed to place links in our sig line once again? I dont see how that would cause any bandwidth problems...
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:06 am

You're right of course that links to images on other sights wouldn't cause bandwidth problems on our end, I should have been more clear.

Bandwidth to those browsing is a big issue though, as are the readability issues with lengthy images.

What I'll do is look into it making viwing inline sig images a toggleable option in your profile. No promises though. :)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:28 pm

Shev,

I think maybe I was the one that wasn't clear..

I mean a clickable link in the signature area. Not an image. The change you made gets rid of images, but it also gets rid of the ability to place a URL in the sig area..
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
muma
Sojourner

SHUT IT

Postby muma » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:08 am

Zellin wrote:Thank you. Now please disable polls too! =)

SHUT UP! :evil:

....People just need to get it out of their system, but i am proud to say i haven't abused polls.

http://sojourn3.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10152
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Zellin
Sojourner

Re: SHUT IT

Postby Zellin » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:46 am

muma wrote:

SHUT UP! :evil:

....People just need to get it out of their system, but i am proud to say i haven't abused polls.

http://sojourn3.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10152

Actually, I figured the same but I just couldn't help myself. It looks like people are starting to calm down with the polls thing.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:13 am

We need a poll on weather you think we need to disable polls.

On topic - thank shevv, whilst I did like to be able to add a link to a little picture, I think in general too many pictures have messed up the BBS and make browsing certain threads a cumbersome task for those with dialup connections.
BEER
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:49 am

Corth wrote:Shev,

I mean a clickable link in the signature area. Not an image. The change you made gets rid of images, but it also gets rid of the ability to place a URL in the sig area..

Fixed, that was unintentional. :)
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:30 pm

any word on sig images? i have several orders on hold while i wait for this to be resolved :P

those of us WITHOUT bandwidth limitations really enjoy the option to peruse the bbs with colorful signature files, when scrolling down long (cough 800+ items) threads, it can really help find someone's post, or even just to see who is arguing with who, etc.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:00 am

why not just enable avatars? daz has a point. avatars are a good way to find the better posters.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:13 pm

Keep the pics off!!!
Scrolling through those 800 message posts takes long enough without having to look at YAPDASG (Yet Another Pedophiles Dream Anime School Girl)
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:00 pm

Rausrh wrote:Keep the pics off!!!
Scrolling through those 800 message posts takes long enough without having to look at YAPDASG (Yet Another Pedophiles Dream Anime School Girl)

Agreed. In addition to adding to the load time, they clutter the screen. I just want to read the posts, not wade through gigantic banners in people's signatures. It's gets funny when the signature pictures take up more vertical screen space than the actual message.

I really like the idea of having a preference to not see signatures at all.

- Mike
Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Kossuth » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:49 pm

I believe that the deal with removing the pics for bandwidth purposes was not only for the impact that it has on people with slow connections, but also in the amount of outgoing bandwidth from this server...
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator

Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:56 pm

Kossuth wrote:I believe that the deal with removing the pics for bandwidth purposes was not only for the impact that it has on people with slow connections, but also in the amount of outgoing bandwidth from this server...

Shevarash wrote:You're right of course that links to images on other sights wouldn't cause bandwidth problems on our end, I should have been more clear.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Kossuth » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:15 pm

Allow me to rephrase... what I meant actually was in regards to avatars, not sig pics linked in from other sites, my bad. :)
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator

Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:03 pm

ahh, ok

kwirl, champion of the sig files
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:37 am

bumpdiddy
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:59 pm

And the point of bumping an Announcement is what exactly?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:29 pm

post_count=post_count++;
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:44 pm

Useless clutter.
post_count++;
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:43 pm

still no word? :(

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:17 pm

My personal opinion is that people do not govern themselves well enough when it comes to graphical sig files. We come to the BBS to read, to catch up on what people are saying, to offer our opinions. We did not come here to see huge image files for sigs by people who post often. The first time seen it's cute. Everytime thereafter its annoying, and becomes very unwelcome to Most of the people who use the BBS. I realize that this will not please those few who love putting in graphical sig files, but for the majority of the BBS users, banning graphical sigs is a welcome thing.

If everyone governed themselves appropriately and used graphical sig files that were tasteful and modest in size, not giant and obnoxious, then I dont think people would take issue with them. But that is not the case, and I dont want to get into another police-action with sig files. Better to keep them off, and put all yoru personal art and images on your own web sites. :)

Miax
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:35 pm

We could have avatars though. Those are usually limited to a small size anyway so that they can fit under your user info in the post...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:04 pm

so why not impose a pixel or kb size restriction? why not make a toggle option for people who dont like them to not see them?

we realize most of you hate pictures and graphics and only like to see words, but there are people here who enjoy graphics.
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:24 pm

There are plenty of other forums with pretty pictures. Let's keep this one clean and simple....Isn't the whole appeal of the mud that it's text-based, not graphical? I don't see why the BBS shouldn't be the same way.
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:28 pm

no, the appeal of the mud is that it is like crack. we want pictures.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:54 pm

No, we don't want pictures.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:01 pm

yes, we want pictures
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:06 pm

Nuh-uh...
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:37 am

Uh-huh
Lazus
Sojourner

Postby Lazus » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:05 am

Don't make me turn this thread around!
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:11 am

you better not!
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:14 pm

He's looking at me!
Nuran
Sojourner

Postby Nuran » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:42 am

Look above. See how well people govern themselves? :shock: :o
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:46 pm

I have to go to the bathroom! :shock:
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:28 am

bump, missy elliot style
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:42 am

Daz wrote:bump, missy elliot style

why are you bumping a sticky
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:42 am

Dalar wrote:
Daz wrote:bump, missy elliot style

why are you bumping a sticky

I'll tell you why!

Daz
Sojourner
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:19 pm

and cuz im a criminal!

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”