I don't know what to say...

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Gyrx
Sojourner

I don't know what to say...

Postby Gyrx » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:35 am

Read this before reading anything on this post:
http://www.mlive.com/news/jacitpat/inde ... 097870.xml

Now read this:
http://www.mlive.com/news/jacitpat/inde ... 115210.xml

I'm not justifying my friends actions by any means, but it's amazing that reporters fail to bring into play some important facts:

Several encounters with authorities were symptomatic of Christopher David-Charles Seffernick's troubled past, court records indicated.

The Brooklyn teen, whose body was found Wednesday morning in a wooded area where he hanged himself, was on probation for unlawfully driving away a motor vehicle in Calhoun County in September 2001, Michigan Department of Corrections records show.

Chris's past was troubled with court records. He constantly filed with the courts and social services about his parents beating the shit out of him. That summer of 2001 his mom gave him permission to take the van out to hang out with some friends, me being one of them. Within a couple of hours she filled a stolen vehicle report, knowing Chris had the van. He tried to go home, but his parents flipped, so he left again with the van and proceeding to stay at my house for several weeks.

He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 180 days in jail, where he was given 138 days credit and two years probation, according to Calhoun Circuit Court records.

He pleaded guilty knowing he couldn't win, so he just went for the lesser sentencing.

As a juvenile, Seffernick tried to run away from his Hanover home several times.

When I was younger and my parents beat me I ran away too.

As a 15-year-old, he petitioned Jackson Probate Court for emancipation from his adoptive parents. The petition filed in November 2000 was dismissed.

I tried going through social services as well, trying to get my sisters and myself away from an alcoholic, drugged out and violent mom. Social services did a whole lot for my situation. I ended up just going to the cops and committing my mom to a mental institution. Shows how much social services pwns.

As a 16-year-old, Seffernick had an assault-and-battery charge related to a domestic situation on March 15, 2001, and spent time at Starr Commonwealth, a residential home for boys in Albion, a state police spokeswoman said.

My dad hit me too, but when I was big enough I hit back, but I didn't go to
Starr Commonwealth because I wasn't going to leave my sisters alone there. That "residential home for boys" is a place where kids can go that need to get out of shitty situations. It's not always for the trouble makers, it's also for victims as well.

I'm not saying he's a victim and everyone pitty him, if he did indeed do this, and it points in that direction, there's no justification whatsoever. But still, I think these other facts bring a different light into the situation.

But this guy was a good friend of mine...

I have no idea what I'm thinking right now.
Last edited by Gyrx on Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:56 am

So what was this dude's malfunction?
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:06 am

Sorry Kifle, I edited my first post when I found another story (the second one) and decided to add some comments.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:45 am

The world sucks at coping with the irresponsibilities of the authority figures. Parents are made to be this false paragon, and when they fail, the blame falls to the children.

Yet another unhead cry for help. You lost a friend, and the world lost two children. Yay for the ignorance of those not in need.

I hope this doesn't hit you too hard, it sounds like he was a good friend.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:45 pm

Even though it was said that there was no excuse for the crime, and I know this guy was a friend of yours the fact still remains. You can't blame this on anyone but the dude who did it, ya his life sucked big time back when he lived with his horrid parents but honestly, what does that have to do with ripping the throat out of a fucking 4th grader, sorry no dice here, no sympathy for the abused, I might have felt sorry for him before he did this. This day and age no one is responsable for their actions, or at least they try not to be.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:10 pm

Pheten wrote:Even though it was said that there was no excuse for the crime, and I know this guy was a friend of yours the fact still remains. You can't blame this on anyone but the dude who did it, ya his life sucked big time back when he lived with his horrid parents but honestly, what does that have to do with ripping the throat out of a fucking 4th grader, sorry no dice here, no sympathy for the abused, I might have felt sorry for him before he did this. This day and age no one is responsable for their actions, or at least they try not to be.

I'll be the first one to agree with you. I'm not going to make any excuses for him and the blame rests solely on him. He didn't have to do that.

But i'm also going to be the first one that points out that what the newspaper is doing to him isn't right either.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:13 pm

What a piece of shit.. At least he had the decency to kill himself and save the taxpayers of michigan the expense of warehousing his worthless body for 50 years...

Sorry Gyrx.. I have sympathy for you.. but I couldn't give a shit about whats in this guys past.. he killed a defenseless little girl... doesn't get any lower than that.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:20 pm

How about an editorial for the paper then? Then again, I wouldn't have the guts to do it. Small town, after a murder, seeming to be defending the murder. Have your insurance payed up for bricks through windows and such.
On the other hand, one sided reporting is sucky.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:43 pm

Corth wrote:What a piece of shit.. At least he had the decency to kill himself and save the taxpayers of michigan the expense of warehousing his worthless body for 50 years...

Sorry Gyrx.. I have sympathy for you.. but I couldn't give a shit about whats in this guys past.. he killed a defenseless little girl... doesn't get any lower than that.

Corth

In many ways I agree, in many ways I'm also so very confused. Knowing the guy, I want to know what happened...what made him flip. Also the facts at the murder upon further investigation are weird and don't make sense.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:45 pm

Rausrh wrote:How about an editorial for the paper then? Then again, I wouldn't have the guts to do it. Small town, after a murder, seeming to be defending the murder. Have your insurance payed up for bricks through windows and such.
On the other hand, one sided reporting is sucky.

The murder happened in a small town, but it basically flows with the much larger city, Jackson, and the articles also were written by the Jackson newspaper.

And yes, i'm in the works on writing an editorial to the paper.

The first article is fine. The 2nd article is completey unnecessary in the manner they presented it.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:50 pm

My advice is set up an interview with a reporter for the/a newspaper. It serves their agenda (new twists to the story) and yours (letting the public know all sides of the story). Editorials are generally only read by those of us who like to rant and, well, write editorials (myself included :D ).
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:59 pm

Three basic reasons people kill those they care about when the victim poses no physical threat: the victim was in some kind of misery themselves and the perpetrator felt somehow like they were doing them a favor by taking them along in death, the perpetrator felt an attachment to the point where he was basically "taking her with him," or the victim was silenced to prevent her from revealing something about the perpetrator that she might have known.

When the full results of the autopsy of the little girl come back, you might expect the worst and hope for the best.

I'm sorry you're going through this, and I know there has to be an extreme helplessness you're feeling, some way you think you might have prevented it. You couldn't. Find somebody to talk to about it.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:31 pm

all I can say is, UGH. To put it lightly, There isnt any angle in which this story isn't horribly tragic.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:53 am

That second article was just fine. More than fine, I'd say, for a child-murderer.

Save your writing talent for condolences to the parents of the girl, or keep your trap shut.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:56 am

Dear Drakkoth,

Piss off.

Sincerely,

Someone who knows what happened as well as you do.

P.S. I don't KNOW what happened.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:09 am

Drakkoth wrote:That second article was just fine. More than fine, I'd say, for a child-murderer.

Save your writing talent for condolences to the parents of the girl, or keep your trap shut.

You're entitled to your opinion, but what makes you think you have the right to tell me what to do?
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:30 am

You're right, Daz. Neither of us knows the truth, just like we don't really know much of anything for certain in this world. Luckily, that is completely irrelevant to my post.

One thing we are pretty much in agreement on is that a child has been murdered (you don't dispute that, right?), and I stand by my comment that it's rather petty to fuss over the semantics of a newspaper article in light of that. That's it.

And Gyrx, I hate to break it to you, but you gave me that right when you opened this topic in a public forum which I browse. I gave you some advice. Take it or don't.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:14 pm

Was it just me, or did anyone else not see that the kid was directly accused/proved to have killed the girl? It just says that he "probably" changed clothes and all this. The article isn't very informative as to what the police actually did. How are they to know that this wasn't done by an outsider, and upon seeing what happened the kid went and hung himself?

I'm not saying that's what I think happened, but to just look at the circumstances and say "That's all folks", without doing any bit of investigative work, looks pretty bad to me. I think the article could have been a little more explanatory to the fact that the police don't have a solid idea of what happened since they were still investigating. The worst line in there is how they don't know what happened for 2 hours.

It's sad.

Twinshadow
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:28 pm

Drakkoth wrote:And Gyrx, I hate to break it to you, but you gave me that right when you opened this topic in a public forum which I browse. I gave you some advice. Take it or don't.

No, you're wrong. You didn't give me advice, you tried to give me an order. There is a very distinct difference. If you had just tried to give me advice I can handle that, but you didn't.
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:33 pm

Starting to get disgusted. Peace.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:10 am

Drakkoth wrote:That second article was just fine. More than fine, I'd say, for a child-murderer.

Drakkoth wrote:Starting to get disgusted. Peace.

Drakkoth, in some ways I can understand where you're disgusted. I'm incredibly disgusted. Disgusted isn't even the word. The feelings I have I simply cannot express. Disgusted, angry, confused...they don't even begin to explain.

But I want answers. Drama queens (newspapers) looking for a quick answer isn't good enough for me. Am I going to say no, there's no way he would have done it - hell no. But am I going to condemn anyone without knowing the facts? I try my best to never do that.

Until the police say that he did that despicable act and then hung himself I'm not going to give up on my friend and jump on the bandwagon.

And as Twyl said there's a lot that's unaccounted for. Fingerprints on the knife, that the clothes are Chris's, what happened within those 2 hours, etc.

The only thing that I know right now is that this whole situation reaks of negative shit.

I'm also very sorry if I offended anyone, etc.
muma
Sojourner

:(

Postby muma » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:47 am

Gyrx, *hugs* i feel really bad for you. if i found out a friend of mine murdered someone and then commited suicide, i wouldn't know what to think or say either. :(

just let time pass, and yea, What Ashiwi said, talk to someone about it.

Drakkoth, you never fail to be completely rude.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Re: :(

Postby Drakkoth » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:40 am

muma wrote:Drakkoth, you never fail to be completely rude.

At least I'm consistent.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:02 pm

So was Hitler.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:41 pm

*roll*
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”