win98 help needed

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Deltin
Sojourner

win98 help needed

Postby Deltin » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:41 pm

I noticed when I hit ctrl alt and del I have some programs running but no clue what they do, I can shut them down and nothing seems to happen, how can I keep some of these programs from running in the first place, on start up? I thought it was the win.ini file but that doesn't seem to be it, I can keep doing in manually with the ctrl alt del but that just a pain.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:51 pm

If you see a program when you hit ctrl-alt-del and you don't know what it is, try googling for it. This helps.

Are you comfortable using regedit?
If so look at:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

amd

My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

If you dont want to use regedit, try msconfig. The startUp tab is what you want.

msconfig comes with win98 and here is a tutorial:
http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:21 pm

And here's a list of things you'll find when you run msconfig:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pa ... p_full.htm
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:55 am

Hey Rausrh, thanks a lot for that link! :D

I always wondered how you could edit that stuff. Now my pc boots up a tad faster. Omg you should see how fast my roomy's boots now! She has a ton of crap on her computer, it being a compact and all, and I just edited hers. It normally takes like 5-10 mins to boot up. It took a whole minute this time! She had so much stuff I could turn off. It was amazing!

Thanks! :D

Oh gawd I'm so happy real player doesn't boot at all now unless I tell it to. Droooooooooooooooool.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:23 am

sm.iolo.com

run some of the tools that comes with it

this program is the bomb

clean your registry, get rid of old files, clean your startup programs, improve performance - this is some of the best shareware there is
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:49 am

if you open start > programs > accessories > system tools > system info ... you can actually see much more detail on what is running, is a good way to quicjkly check what viruses are residents on peeps computers, tells you where they are run from etc too and give more idea of what they do.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”